(shouting)

Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Post by raocow »

I'm aware there's a lot of level being cleared and all that but this should still get started. Levels can be added in the 'pools' as they get cleared.

Basically, we got four pools. We got 'Hub', 'Inner Circle', 'Outer Circle, World 9.

Hub contains the easiest levels, World 9 contains the hardest levels, and the rest is shared amongst the the circles. Inner Circle should correspond to stuff between world 2 and world 4-5, Outer to world 5-8.

Hub and World 9 shouldn't really contain more then three or four levels each. The circles should be as evenly divided as possible.

So... peeps: may the debating begin!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Re: Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Post by Paralars »

well, this pool stuff is a good idea so far, sorting by difficulty that is.

As for the actual order of the levels, I already made a little list for myself with all the levels where I wrote down some possibilities of linking them.

Basically, it worked out a lot like domino. There were always two levels with very similar difficulty, where one of them had some theme somewhere hidden in it, which was present in the other one as well.

So I thought this whole OW arraging story could work out like a jigsaw puzzle, you see two pieces that fit together, so you put them together to bigger pieces and when all those genuinely fitting transitions are brought together, you put the rest together and add one of those patch/filler-levels where necessary.

That way we could make every OW path more or less consistent with themes and theme transitions without having to make exactly one theme for every world.

(I'm going to upload the level list here soon in case it's helpful)
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Write all the level names on cards and then throw them in the air and see where they land
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Hub:
A Stroll Under the Stars
A Menagerie in Glass
Intertwined Plains
Inner Circle:
Flooded Village
Violet Velocity
Down to Green
Sky Castle West
Calm Forest
P. Keys Mansion
P-Switch Beach
Moonlit Mountain
Demo's Hydrophobia
A.D.D.
A Beach
Verdant Varmit
The happy lake
Skythorn Valley
Forest of Realism
Forest Fever
Magical Lava Zone
Deja Vu
Multi-Tier Hillside
Goofy Grotto
Outer Circle:
Demo Kong Country
Super Vehicle 00C: Onwards to Moscow
Chilly Ice Cave
hey there sewage castle
Where Am I?
Running Like Clockwork
Sodium Fortrate
Sagan Leagues Above the Surface
THUMP
Smouldering Stones
The Meaning of Sharp
Mail Delivery!!
Undermoore Passage
Cumulonimbastille
Unpleasant Intruder
Demo's Wondrous Pitfall
Starlight Resort
Mansion of Onoffness
Light and Darkness
Crazed Crayon Combat
Deadly Ninja Assassin Squad
So close yet so...
Dairy Disaster
betrayal rock
World 9:
further over there
This is all from memory so I could be completely wrong on some of them. Anyway, what do you guys think?
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Seems more or less right other than betrayal rock being in the inner circle. Also I always imagined Further Over There being in the outer circle as a parrot coin unlockable level.

To be thorough we should edit the five-star scaled difficulties into this page. I don't have an account there but if someone makes me one (I can't figure out how) I'll edit in as many as I can.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt wrote:Also I always imagined Further Over There being in the outer circle as a parrot coin unlockable level.
Whatever, this is just a generalization. We don't need to get into specifics.

I fixed betrayal rock.

I think the parrot coin levels should be harder levels but they should also be special levels (like Cup's more recent one or Schnurmanator's).
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Remember that there is currently some pretty serious discussion about re-mixing or whatever 'further over there', so we might have to wait and see about that thing.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

alright, here's the level list. Handwritten because it's more personal (and because I did it in math class, what else am I supposed to do there)

Those are only levels that I played and have an impression of, I know there are a lot missing.
The relevant informations here are the symbols on the right [explanation in 3.png], themes and theme transitions.
I think we should try to create areas along an OW path that make sense environmentally, for example we could use skythorn valley at the edge of a cliff, then have some sky levels and then end the sky area with diddyboy's level (just so you get the idea)

Also, I notcied there are a LOT of house/fortress levels in there, we should really consider making an overworld area with a lot of houses/villages/buildings, just as the sort of "civilized theme", because usually those kind of levels are spread throughout all other worlds and don't contribute anything to a theme, so that would be something interesting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ias69dx33isin6r
(NO SPOILERS BTW, JUST LEVEL NAMES)

Have a look, if it's useful, fine. If it isn't, fine.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

So if we're wrangling levels will we be putting them in the Hub/Inner Circle/Outer Circle/W9 based on the difficulty rating they were given at clearing? If so: What is the minimum and maximum difficulty of Inner Circle and Outer circle? :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

It's not based on any set difficulty. It's just were we think it will fit.
raocow wrote:Hub contains the easiest levels, World 9 contains the hardest levels, and the rest is shared amongst the the circles. Inner Circle should correspond to stuff between world 2 and world 4-5, Outer to world 5-8.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

first idea for one of the 4 subworlds in the outer ring:
I tried incorporating some sort of building/civilisation theme.
I tried to make the difficulty curve acceptable as far as I remembered the levels. There still is one split in there, so that loosens the linear difficulty curve up a bit.

I know it's not perfect, I just thought it was good if there is something to start with when composing all these levels together, so it's a first draft.

(Forest fever was supposed to go in the inner ring, but I needed some level with 2 exits that could fit in there, and it's not too easy)
raocow

Post by raocow »

Doesn't Crazy Crayon Combat have a custom boss that's pretty impressive or something? If so, it should exchange place with Sharp.

With that said, overworld should look exactly like that, with lines hand-drawn on paper, haha
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

coming next:
The ASMT board game.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

If by impressive you mean not fun then yes
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raocow

Post by raocow »

Well I don't know I can only go by what I hear man!!!

Which is to say, I'm the single worst guy to be commenting on anything here, with that in mind, as I realise I know pretty much nothing but the names.

~fart~
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Well, it's good in the technical sense. I won't get into it, but it'd be kind of nice if it had some tweaks on it. There's like 3 bosses [that I've fought] and there were one of each flavor: good, bad, and broken.

Edit: oh wait there was a fourth and it's completely stupid and the level creator agrees with me
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Another idea:
inner ring, somewhat easier levels, with a hiking theme.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3143 ... 100001.png

Would obviously only work somewhat like this if we actually make 3d OW pictures and not just a vanilla format, top down view OW tileset.

level content spoilers:
the level on top of the snow mountain is supposed to lead you back to "Chilly Ice Cave" always, but if you beat the secret exit of it, it unlocks the path to betrayal rock.
It would need some empty level tile (can walk to, can't play it, or maybe just a one-screen level with side exits) right after "smouldering stones" to work I guess. Well, that's just the idea I had.
I'm not as confident with this one, but well, I thought those levels would fit together.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Man if you can do the whole thing like that, and plink in the new levels as they come in, I'll be amased.

Because honestly, not necessarily knowing WHAT is in these levels, this is working out really, really nicely, at least in my opinion.
Servant

Post by Servant »

Doesn't Crazy Crayon Combat have a custom boss that's pretty impressive or something? If so, it should exchange place with Sharp.
Please forgive me for asking...but is this the only boss that ASMT2 actually has?

Because if so, then I think there's going to be a slight...problem. Story-wise I mean. I thought that ASMT2 had one free custom boss that could be placed anywhere. I didn't know that this custom boss is specifically attached to a level.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Servant wrote: Please forgive me for asking...but is this the only boss that ASMT2 actually has?
Argumentable wrote:There's like 3 bosses [that I've fought]
Servant

Post by Servant »

...Oh, okay. So...are these custom bosses attached to the levels? Or can they be placed anywhere? And if they are attached to the levels, what prevent them from being used as "storyline bosses"?
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

The ones I'm mentioning are custom and fit in pretty nicely with the levels they are in. The other one, well, I'll let limepie handle that one
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

There was an idea floating around (spawned by raocow I think?) to 'cheat around' a bit by incorporating the already made bosses into story related things with the siblings.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

hey, maybe someone who knows about the levels's difficulty a bit might have a look on these two pics of mine, because I'm not completely sure if it is "linear enough". (Wyatt with his rating system for example)

If nobody says anything about it, well, I'll just make some more
raocow

Post by raocow »

Make them to the best of your abilities, and things can be switched around a bit afterward. It's a bit easier to visualise for the most amount of people if they got a 'line' to follow, I think.