(shouting)

Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Servant

Re: Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Post by Servant »

AUS wrote:There was an idea floating around (spawned by raocow I think?) to 'cheat around' a bit by incorporating the already made bosses into story related things with the siblings.
Can't we cheat by moving the levels themselves to serve as the "sibling" levels, with the plot-relevant cutscenes coming before and after the bosses?

I just don't like seeing resources being "wasted".
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I'll give feedback from what I remember of the difficulties off the top of my head:

-Fortress World seems really good in terms of difficulty. Though, how many castle levels do we have? I know it's a lot, but we probably will want 2 per world, so I'm not sure if we should be using 5 or 6 up at once like this.

-Mountain World starts off good, but it gets a bit wacky later on. No Secret Exit Here might be fine (it was really hard last time I played but I don't know how much it's been toned down), but Betrayal Rock is definitely an outer ring level. You may want to use this post for difficulty reference, though it is old and won't have levels from the past 2 or 3 months.

Anyway, these are really helpful I think you should definitely keep going with them. I was looking at your level list (which rules by the way) and noticed that there's 7 or 8 abstract levels, all with outer ring difficulty, so we could definitely try to make a world out of them.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

sounds good to me,
I've thought about the abstract world too, that would really come together well.
Betrayal rock can be switched by something else, the reason I put it there was because I thought the end of the inner ring world could be a little difficulty spike and I thought at least the first half of betrayal rock wasn't that bad. Whatever.

But I don't see why we need 2 fortress things per world, the final levels don't necessarily have to be castles (e.g. Terry's level would make a great final level for an inner ring world).
However, there are still some other castle theme levels left, but as long as there are "bossy" and impressive levels, we can still go with those.

So the next thing will be some underground jungle that fits SNN's OC.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I guess when I read there were a lot of castle levels, I figured whoever said it was including stuff like Super Vehicle and Cup's latest level. If not, my mistake!

A heads up: I'm pretty sure that SNN's OC was made as a level theme, not an overworld theme. Though don't let that stop you if you can make a solid underground jungle world.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I could do a shorter remix of that to fit a jungle dome if it's necessary. Hell, it might be interesting to see a level theme and overworld theme share similarities (see: Kirby's Dream Land 2).
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

well, it gave me the impression of an OW theme and a sort of jungle-cave-vanilla dome would fit some levels together I think.
Well, right now, I don't know if I can get something good done, it was just an idea I had.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

crayons, yay.
Underground, jungle and moonshine.
Note that I used Magical Lava Zone here again, in the mountain thing it has to be replaced by something else, because I just noticed it has two exits.
(Or we add another level in the mounatin map and use a different 2-exit level here)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4818 ... 100000.png

(my hands are full of wax)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Anyone else wanna contribute into grouping some levels? Gotta keep this train roling!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Fortress world is a hilarious idea. Not stone or brick world, no, a world composed of the element of FORTRESSES.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Hmmm, I just noticed we "only" have 12 levels with 2 exits right now according to the wiki. Won't that be a problem for building the overworld? I liked how in ASMT the grass world had secret exits leading to a secret exit leading to a secret exit that brought you further and further to the opposite of the map.

raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

We could just do it like Vip5 and have single exits open up two paths, if need be.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I my level has been cleared and submitted, but not inserted. I originally imagined that it had two exits but I was under the misconception that there was a surplus of 2-exit levels already.
flameofdoubt wrote:- If you want a secret exit, please mention that when you request your level. Not every level can have a secret exit, either.
It doesn't matter to me if my level has 1 exit or 2, but I can change it if you need a more dynamic overworld.
The new exit would be either be a shortcut backward or useless.
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

Sonic 4 Episode 1 corresponds to this idea. Look at the overworld for that. 4 different enviorments wiht different levels. are we making this linear, or multiple choice? I was bored, so I made this to show what I mean... :
:
\/
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

could fit starlight resort, gelatin factory, a beach, p-switch beach, deja vu, flooded village, happy lake theme-wise.
Difficulty is some other question then.

There are 4 overworld paths by the way, each one going through one inner section and one outer section, you can choose freely
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

ok, here's some stuff:

Inner ring Oasis world, inspired by Cmb's post, no secret exit things, because of the levels I played, the 2 exit ones wouldn't fit into an easy , sunny level environment and the other ones that might have 2 exits don't really have any usable information in the CMS.
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7874/oasisu.png

Outer Ring Sky Island world:
Air Arena's normal exit leads to Violet Velocity and vice versa, the secret exits lead to Sky Castle West or THUMP.
Funny thing is, after I put these levels together, I noticed that the land ones all have blue terrain, so the island is blue.
The thing right next to the vine is supposed to be a pipe that gets you to this world.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1105/skyblueland.png

As far as putting together the whole thing is concerned, I have a little plan here using the drafts I made so far.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9400/78463375.png
I stands for inner ring, II for outer ring.
red is what we don't have a draft for yet, you can see we'd need 3 more worlds on submaps for this, plus a hub and a final world.
My idea was to make it not completely symmetrical like a double ring, because that would probably make it really annoying to arrange multiple areas into the main world and there woudn't be much space for hub world and final world levels, I think we should have at least a few of them.

yeah.
raocow

Post by raocow »

As far as I'm concerned, all of your suggestions are pretty much cannon, haha. Keep it coming, these are great.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I, too, think his suggestions are capable of firing heavy metal orbs long distances.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

I'm assuming that means you like them.

Me, I'm just happy to see the name of my level in one of the sketches. I was getting anxious. :lol:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Paralars wrote: As far as putting together the whole thing is concerned, I have a little plan here using the drafts I made so far.
I'm not sure about this one.
I don't really think the last world should be in the main overworld. It would be weird having it in their and I think it's a lot more effective as its own submap. The way I always imagined the map is the hub world is its own submap and then you come out of it in one of four directions and the main overworld is the four inner ring worlds. The hub becomes a small little spaceship like yoshi's island on the main overworld of smw. I don't know, I just think it's better that way.

The other two worlds look great, though.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I'm not sure what you mean, Limepie.

I know that if the whole inner world was on the main overworld it would be kind of boring, I always imagined that it would 'interplay' and jump around.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

yeah, I understand what you mean limepie,
I just wanted to have some of the inner ring worlds on submaps because that way we could make more "freestyle" OW art, like foreshortening drawings with level icons on them.
(like in SNN's hack thingy vvvv)
On the main overworld you can't really do that, it's too big and contains too much stuff.

Also, what raocow said.
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

limepie20 wrote:
Paralars wrote: As far as putting together the whole thing is concerned, I have a little plan here using the drafts I made so far.
I'm not sure about this one.
I don't really think the last world should be in the main overworld. It would be weird having it in their and I think it's a lot more effective as its own submap. The way I always imagined the map is the hub world is its own submap and then you come out of it in one of four directions and the main overworld is the four inner ring worlds. The hub becomes a small little spaceship like yoshi's island on the main overworld of smw. I don't know, I just think it's better that way.

The other two worlds look great, though.
Kinda off topic, but still On the topic of levels, has mine been inserted? was it rejected? It's been nearly 2 weeks im kinda anxious
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Put down path arrows on the overworld so I know what button to press and what direction I can go in, cause with ASMT the ice and desert worlds could get a little confusing in that regards (as confusing as being able to go in 1 of 4 directions gets)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

cmb: Just by posting in submissions (with proof of clearing), your level is guaranteed to go into the game. If it's not inserted now, it will be by the time the next baserom comes out.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Also, yeah, the baserom doesn't have the wave of newer submissions yet, I reckon.