(shouting)

A2MT Intro

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: A2MT Intro

Post by swirlybomb »

Just to add my own opinion to the bucket, I also think it would work better as an ending screen. Then the title screen could still have some kind of crazy 'weird' level on it if the unusuality factor is important (I'd assume it would be).

Not that there's anything outright wrong with it as a title screen, but the overall cheeriness of all the siblings strikes me as more 'ending' flavored.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

The ultimate question is: does it 'fit' with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILz_IG2B-1Y
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

How about using both? There's a lot of games that have a static intro image and play a demo, when the screen is left idle for a few seconds.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

the 'gameplay demo' is the exact same as in mario world but when you get to the part where mario just kind of sits there on yoshi a giant yoshi island style chomper comes from the back and so mario/demo huriedly scampers through the rest of the level while the chomper wrecks everything.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Diortem wrote:How about using both? There's a lot of games that have a static intro image and play a demo, when the screen is left idle for a few seconds.
If this is possible, I love this idea. That really sounds awesome.
Let's do it with style and make it like a traditional demo where demo is playing the first level or something.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Something like this? I still need to work out some of the things, though.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

If the player presses a button during the title image, do they instantly get the file select screen? This is pretty important; if they have to wait for a fadeout or something, then this whole thing probably isn't worth it. Nobody likes waiting through stuff every time they turn on the game.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

It is the idea to directly load the select screen, when a button is pressed (the demo only plays when a time-out expires during the main screen). And pressing the button during the demo triggers the menu as well. But for testing purposes I used a button to trigger the demo during the intro screen.

There will be a transition (fade out or instant black), because the renderer needs to go back to mode 1 in any case to run the game. I agree that the current delay is indeed unacceptable. However, the long delay in the vid is (like stated) due to a bug in the code. It isn't doing anything useful in that time, but I haven't found the source of it. Probably synchronization issue with the NMI or a timer that doesn't expire. Otherwise, it should be just short as the regular delay between the "Nintendo presents" and "SMW demo" imo.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Would music be able to start when the title screen picture comes up?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

That should be possible... It might have to be loaded manually into the APU as the game engine hasn't properly started at this point. But if that works, it can even have it's own tune (different to the demo mode).

Furthermore, after tinkering a little with the menu I ended up with this (some parts are still hardcoded, but the most effort of making the framework is already there). If you think it's a bad idea it's easy to drop, but I kinda liked it. The screen is just a level, so modding the BG is trivial in LM.
Menu mode
Menu mode
A2MT012.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 8100 times
Storing game time shouldn't be too difficult. The game 'mysteriously' has 3 SRAM shadow bytes left in RAM (@ 1F2B). And incrementing a counter every real second is pretty easy with the frame counter. Perhaps it's a bit cluttered, but I thought with all the extra stuff we've put in storage we might as well show it in the file select.

I couldn't think of an 8x8 icon to match with "Exits found". I was thinking of a Key or Lock, but that would suggest secret exits only, so I kept the original. Constructive critism is welcome. :)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Diortem:
Oh my God, that is amazing. Of course, we like it. You don't get credited enough for things like this, but you are great with coming up with ideas to enhance the game. I'd definitely love something like that as a menu.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Wow this is all sorts of awesome, it's super neat looking. You can even save total game time?!

raocow

Post by raocow »

that.......

that would be amazing.

I mean, wow.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Wow. The word that comes to mind is 'incrediblawesomic'.

My only question is what does the star indicate?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

swirlybomb wrote:only question is what does the star indicate?
Probably current bonus stars, assuming they're being saved too?

Looks pretty cool, albeit unpolished. I'd love to see it with some custom graphics or something.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

You are correct, Chibikko also made it so that the bonus stars are saved into SRAM. Unpolished is indeed the word I was looking for to. I'll fix/finalize the menu first. Then we'll see about the sugarness.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah no need to worry about graphics now. We can make it look nice with all the people we have here.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Each save 'slot' should look a talkhaus post.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Because it's fun?

The actual reason is because when I propose something as a joke, it's in the hope that someone gets a 'real' idea out of it, so to speak. It's better than just letting the thing unadressed!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Its much better to just ignore it/abandon your boss fights that you're coding
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

If you're worried about clutter, my suggestion would be to remove the counters for stars, coins, and lives, since they're less essential. Though maybe lives could stay in.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Argumentable wrote:Its much better to just ignore it/abandon your boss fights that you're coding
HAHA FUCKING DESTROYED
raocow

Post by raocow »

Yeah. The timer, deaths, parrots, chests and the switch palaces would be sufficient, I reckon.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

raocow wrote:Each save 'slot' should look a talkhaus post.
I actually like this idea.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

All the segments are functional now (for all 3 files), the cursor now moves nicely along the screen too on the left side. Now to write/get a division algorithm to convert 24-bit frame counts to H:M:S digits. I guess I'll just peek at how Ninty did it with the score-card. It's basically the same game.

The counter itself runs and auto-saves like the rest Chibikko made. ^_^ It only increments in-level when the game is not paused/frozen, that seems fair enough (just like the "effective" frame counter @ $14).

It's a bit crowded indeed, but if I remove those silly castle borders, then I can spread them out (or mask two or three of the counters out). How many exits is this game going to have? I currently put it to $80 to know when the number needs to become blue, but that's probably not right. On a side note: I was even thinking of inserting file names, but it's full enough already. ;)