(shouting)

Level Finalization/QA List (Tweaking of Inserted Levels)

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Fireyblaze

Re: Level Finalization List (Tweaking of Inserted Levels)

Post by Fireyblaze »

Just going to post this here. I'm the maker of Level 130 which apparently the tester or player is having trouble with. If you feel like it, you can try to message me on the forum or post in here to get help from me. Both of the levels I submitted definitely need tweaking, so I would like to have some direct contact with the people who tweak them.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

fireyblaze wrote:Just going to post this here. I'm the maker of Level 130 which apparently the tester or player is having trouble with. If you feel like it, you can try to message me on the forum or post in here to get help from me. Both of the levels I submitted definitely need tweaking, so I would like to have some direct contact with the people who tweak them.
I just review 010 and put it up. I'm not sure how flexible it's gimmick is, but I would suggest making it longer to space out the sprites to prevent lag.

By direct do you mean Skype, irc, or just forums?
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
fireyblaze wrote:Just going to post this here. I'm the maker of Level 130 which apparently the tester or player is having trouble with. If you feel like it, you can try to message me on the forum or post in here to get help from me. Both of the levels I submitted definitely need tweaking, so I would like to have some direct contact with the people who tweak them.
I just review 010 and put it up. I'm not sure how flexible it's gimmick is, but I would suggest making it longer to space out the sprites to prevent lag.

By direct do you mean Skype, irc, or just forums?
Both are fine. You would just have to contact me on the forum to get my Skype.

And I know that the difficulty of that level skyrockets near the end of 010. The gimmick was actually part of a scrapped level I picked up. I wanted to still use the gimmick, but it is hard to design around. I know that the gimmick slows you down to the point that it feels unfair. That is why I wouldn't EXTEND the level. I could get another sublevel (And a midpoint) to help, but I kind of made the level as a "Minimum resources used, minimum space used". The way I understand it, the initial use of the gimmick was just to make the level less boring. I could do away with it or lighten it, but the level right now is literally being constricted by space which is why it lags a lot. The gimmick is at fault since the gimmick slows your movement based on how many screens you passed. If I made the current level longer, it would either slow you to a halt or make you literally start going backwards.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
009 the level of slipery floors and ghost
-A pirana plant jumps into a ceiling at the glitch sublevel
Is it possible for the person that fixes these to lower the pipe + pirana plant just a bit? Or should I just do the fix myself and reupload the level file?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah we'll do that. But you can certainly fix it yourself if you prefer to.
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

I've noticed "Punctuated time" is an awful mess. Since that was originally my level, I can try to help with getting the blocks working and such, perhaps not-so-much level design wise.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If you want to, go ahead and that would be really helpful. I guess I would get there eventually anyway (because I'm going through fixing all the bugs right now). Thanks for telling me.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Cheeseofdoom wrote:I've noticed "Punctuated time" is an awful mess. Since that was originally my level, I can try to help with getting the blocks working and such, perhaps not-so-much level design wise.
The version of the level I tested in the testing thread was working much better than the version currently in the baserom. I don't know what happened during insertion, but the water block stopped working as they should during the "gimmick".
Cheeseofdoom

Re: Level Finalization/QA List (Tweaking of Inserted Levels)

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

Question: is "waterswitchoff.asm" inserted anywhere into the rom?

edit: okay... so the BT folder has "wateroff.bin," "wateron.bin," "wateronoff.asm," waterswitchoff.asm," and waterswitchoff.asm"

Are ANY of these being used in other levels, and if so, which one? Also, I may be out of practice, but do we not have a .dbk for the rom, or am I not supposed to use BTSD?

It would be really helpful to have a list of what blocks are where in the rom. Can anyone tell me where the slopefix block is located?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah we use BTSD. Check out the list with that.
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

limepie20 wrote:Yeah we use BTSD. Check out the list with that.
Upon reading this, I've realized that the .dbk file was right in front of me. I had renamed the rom file.

Thanks! xD

Edit: Reinserting the blocks fixes the problem. The fans and water blocks function properly now. The blocks continued to function upon creating a new patch from the rom with reinserted blocks. So, perhaps we should reinsert the blocks into the baserom, and make a new patch from that.

Edit2: Where does the slopefix block need to be added? After I fix that, only the level design issues are left. I feel that's better left up to someone else.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I can take care of that. I designed the level!
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

limepie20 wrote:I can take care of that. I designed the level!
Indeed you did! <3

Shall I just send you a patch then?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah you can do that. Thanks.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:I like how the op totally isn't unreadable in the slightest.
Would you like to use me to use black instead of yellow? I don't find it that hard to read myself.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:It's neon yellow and green yo. That's eye-searing.
I guess I could try to change this to this and this to this.

Edit: this browser I'm force to use right now isn't capatible with actually getting anything done. I'll have to fix it later.

Edit2: Purged the neon colors. I think I'll convert the orange to black when I have time at home
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So, uh, I don't know what happened to my levels during submission and afterwards, as Sagan was working just fine for a few BaseROM versions after it was added. I don't know about Woodchuck Woods, but still. I guess I'll just post the two submissions as they were working before.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/1089/Level107.zip
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/1089/Level11B.zip
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

So I just played through some levels again while assembling the OW, and I'm really confused how everything is so messed up?
Like, whole chunks of tiles are missing or use the wrong map16 or are completely solid, how does that even happen?
Also, since nothing's happening in this thread, who's fixing this? Who even did that? Is it something that just happened when inserting stuff?
I'm aware this problem has been around for a while, but now I'm really inclined to ask what's gonna be done about it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I've fixed about 40% of the levels so far. I'm gonna have them all fixed up hopefully soon.
As for how it happens, I don't know.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

So it just happened after inserting for no apparent reason, and now you're fixing them on your side and didn't upload the fixed ones yet?
I'd be willing to accept that.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Are the corrections for Goofy Grotto and Stroll Under the Stars things I, personally, need to change? Because I have none of the tools on here anymore. :?
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Don't worry. I'll take care of it. I already did Goofy Grotto. If I have trouble with Stroll Under the Stars, I'll ask you then, but I shouldn't need to unless it's like asking you which way to change something.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Oki :D
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

limepie20 wrote:Don't worry. I'll take care of it. I already did Goofy Grotto. If I have trouble with Stroll Under the Stars, I'll ask you then, but I shouldn't need to unless it's like asking you which way to change something.
Yeah, all the graphics should have been there for Goofy Grotto's cutoff, just oversights.

Don't know anything about memory indexes, except that they can screw stuff up if they're wrong.

Just copy/paste the note block graphic over.

Stroll's goof up has to do with the transfer, I must have forgot to point blocks to the actual vine/ledge

Menagerie: The ice thing I THOUGHT I fixed, maybe it was in a version that I didn't upload due to transfer of power or something.

Arrow signs would do the trick for the not-so-obvious pipes. If not, I guess just making an actual pipe entrance, but I just think it'll make it look more meh...

101 is also a reference :P
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I need to know if ExGFX92-94 are actually used for anything, they're reserved for talkhaus, but I didn't find them inserted anywhere in the ROM that I have. Same goes for 8B and 91, they're reserved for level designers, but I didn't actually see them inserted, are they though?

I just wanna know if those are even inserted or planned to be inserted, then I could make the exgfx slot shoving a bit easier on your end.