(shouting)

Treasure Chest and stuff

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Diortem

Treasure Chest and stuff

Post by Diortem »

Hello all, since posting in several threads about this makes things hard to keep an overview. I managed to get a custom messagebox working in parallel to the normal ones. Since the code uses the native implementation for the most there are no glitches. :D Unless they were present in SMW (layer 3 shenanigans).

Edit: download is removed since the chest has been imported into the base rom already. There's no more need to download it yourself.
Some treasure... Just look at those droopy eyes
Some treasure... Just look at those droopy eyes
Step 3a.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 9985 times
Last edited by Diortem 12 years ago, edited 36 times in total.
kil3

Re: Treasure Chest and stuff

Post by kil3 »

Diortem wrote: -How to get an arbrirary graphic into the tileset? I dunno how that can be done. :?
Why not use something like the Smiley Face Coin? That sprite should be unused by anything else in normal SMW so it could be changed to hold the treasure for any given level.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

That sounds like a very good idea! So then there's a placeholder, but then I would still have to make some custom code to load those tiles. Or do you see an easy solution for that. Hmm..., I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.
Money

Post by Money »

I made this a while back for the chest graphic. It uses palette A.
Also I'm pretty sure the smily face coin is used in SMW, just not many people know about it. When you eat enough of a specific type of berry as Yoshi there's a cloud that spits these if I'm not mistaken. Or was that just for SMA2?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Moneyman: Sweet! I'll go and try to insert it. :D
Also, indeed eating like 2 pink berries generates the cookie cloud bonus. But are we using it or not? Otherwise I need to find some other solution...
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Diortem wrote:That sounds like a very good idea! So then there's a placeholder, but then I would still have to make some custom code to load those tiles. Or do you see an easy solution for that.
Well, I thought the graphics organizers or someone would just use custom exgraphics files for each level with a treasure chest, replacing that one tile with the correct treasure image.

That was our old plan anyway.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Kil3: Ah, I see what you mean. But I'm afraid it might get rather complicated to enforce that on all the levels that are inserted so far, cause I think (anyone, correct me when wrong) that this restriction hasn't been applied. It would be hard, or perhaps even impossible, to find some tiles on the same location that are free in the ExGfx for all the levels.
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

So I'm probably going to be talking a lot of nonsense but would it be possible to place the chest in GFX00 where the 'Hey There Everyone' is currently? We could either find some other way to have that introductory text or incorporate the chest in the 'Hey There Everyone' logo, as the chest will be one of the hallmarks of this hack.

The tricky thing could be the palette. Are you using palette 8? We just need to ensure the chest looks decent in each level - not a big deal but it'll be up to the level designers.

Also, I assume that the chest message uses Layer 3 and overrides any other Layer 3. So don't use Layer 3 effects (Tide/Fog/Fish/Etc) in a chest sublevel. My level 'Demo's Aquaphobia' does have fog in the chest sublevel but that can easily be fixed.

It looks good so far though.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Diortem wrote:-Graphic insertion. I heard about a Kirby chest, but can't find any gfx. Can anyone help on that?
Image There's two chest designs on this sprite sheet.
Last edited by Ometeotl 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

kil3 wrote:Why not use something like the Smiley Face Coin? That sprite should be unused by anything else in normal SMW so it could be changed to hold the treasure for any given level.
I remember back in ASMT the original one someone said that the Smiley Face Coin was used to un-break broken note block graphics, so is a different fix being used for that trick?
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

keckcellent wrote:So I'm probably going to be talking a lot of nonsense but would it be possible to place the chest in GFX00 where the 'Hey There Everyone' is currently?
I agree, for my test rom I've put the two images right below that text logo. btw. if that is feasible than part of the problem is solved. The chest takes up two 16x16 tiles, but when it is opened the first tile is not needed anymore. So, in theory, I could overwrite that tile with the item data and display it on screen along with the opened chest.
keckcellent wrote:The tricky thing could be the palette. Are you using palette 8? We just need to ensure the chest looks decent in each level - not a big deal but it'll be up to the level designers.
I've used Moneyman's version at the moment, which uses Palette A...
keckcellent wrote:Also, I assume that the chest message uses Layer 3 and overrides any other Layer 3. So don't use Layer 3 effects (Tide/Fog/Fish/Etc) in a chest sublevel. My level 'Demo's Aquaphobia' does have fog in the chest sublevel but that can easily be fixed.
Currently, it does..
keckcellent wrote:It looks good so far though.
Thanks!

Ometeotl: Ehm... I only see a "Hosted by" image in the picture below even if I open the original link.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Try now.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but did we NOT discuss about having a treasure room, that each level would lead into, with a sprite or LVLASM, that would house the treasure chest? Would this NOT be easier to just use ExGFX for the chest, and that way we could controll the palette?

Also, if that is the case, and we are using an entire treasure room, we'd need a sprite or to be written, to read how you enter the room, rather from what level you entered from, and then a door from the treasure room that would send you back to the level, (perferred to the place where you entered).

I thought this was the general consensus.

Also, for graphics, if we're going with kirby, I'd much rather perfer the bigger chest to the smaller one.
But I'd rather an entirely different chest altogether.
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/a ... heet/31363
or
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/b ... sheet/6757

I also want to say thank you Dior, for taking this up. :)
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Prof: Well, I was trying to figure out if it was possible to make it the way Chdata intended it. ^_~"

I'm but seeing that the graphics and palettes will give issues it might as well be better to code the separate room. Btw. That room could also be used to display all the treasures found so far (and optionally the costume block, but I'm not going to put any effort in that at the moment).

So here's what I'll try to make:
-Have the chest teleport you 1 specific room and set some fixed location in RAM so the exit will lead back to the original place. I still have to figure out the limitations of teleporting, so I dunno if it will work in any given situation.

-As there is a specific room palette and graphic insertion become simple and consistent; I can use all the graphic pages with ExGfx set in the level header for that area. And just index the tile depending on $13BF (the overworld level ID).

It might not be as 'custom' as the original approach, but this does give the level developers the most freedom (no issues with gfx,palette,layer 3). But arbitrary warp back can lead to immediate danger for Mario or warping to locations that might result in problems (like opening a chest that is falling into a pit, which is technically possible).
ProfessorDemetri

Dior wrote:So here's what I'll try to make:
-Have the chest teleport you 1 specific room and set some fixed location in RAM so the exit will lead back to the original place. I still have to figure out the limitations of teleporting, so I dunno if it will work in any given situation.
So I was thinking, instead of having a CHEST in every level, we'd have a gold door in lue of the chest, in every level, that would lead you to the chest room... yeah, no? Discuss? lol
And from what I've seen, I don't think anyone had chests that could potentially fall into a pit. I believe they all had them in stable locations. So if we just switch out the chest for a door, bing bang boom, we're good to go? :lol: I am kinda talking out of my ass here, but I think that SHOULD work lol
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Are you really, really saying that creating this whole insane teleportation code is simpler than just having to deal with an occasional unstandard palette? Really? I mean, having a 'special door' has litteraly the exact same problem, it doesn't fix anything at all.

We don't want anything too fancy here, we just want something that litteraly works, and is useable.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kil3

Post by kil3 »

The treasure room idea has its own problems. It "breaks up" the action first of all. What if your level is based on having a school of fish chase you? What if it's an autoscrolling level? It's really going to be intrusive on level flow. I don't really see a palette problem. Even real SNES games had weird palettes when they put stuff in weird places, and people noticed it and it became a sort of trope. So you have a purple treasure chest. Well, your level is purple. At worst, they'll match. Finally, it sounds like a boatload of coding problems.
ProfessorDemetri

Okay, then make the chests work without it, and I'll be happy.
I agree, we just need something that works. So make it work lol. :lol:
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

raocow wrote:Are you really, really saying that creating this whole insane teleportation code is simpler than just having to deal with an occasional unstandard palette? Really? I mean, having a 'special door' has litteraly the exact same problem, it doesn't fix anything at all.

We don't want anything too fancy here, we just want something that litteraly works, and is useable.
I wasn't referring to the chest at all. It can be blue using palette 8 along with Demo. It is rather that the image that shows up along with the message. Storing some x/y/sublevel coordinates is much easier than manipulating the graphic data on-the-fly, because that is level dependent. But never mind it, you're right about the fact that the chest shouldn't become a purpose of its own. I find it difficult to determine what would be the right choice, there's a lot of different tastes in the topic alone...

If this is the case, then the chest is basically done (the text-only variant). Add the gravity and behaviour and that's about it. XD Text insertion is nothing more than filling in a table.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Hmm, so do all the chests have the same 'text' or do they all have something different? Because if it's the latter, I have no idea how it would be organised, since a lot of levels would be using their two message slots (and some levels use message slots of other levels, too)
Money

Post by Money »

raocow wrote:Hmm, so do all the chests have the same 'text' or do they all have something different? Because if it's the latter, I have no idea how it would be organised, since a lot of levels would be using their two message slots (and some levels use message slots of other levels, too)
they have different text because they each have different things
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

That is the correct answer. There's an independent pointer table for it using the OW level ID as index (like I said). That makes it unique per level, of course only one chest should exist. But if it is persisted in SRAM any other chests will not show up once the 1st is collected in that level. Then again, would we still want that? There's nothing wrong with reading the text a second time round in my opinion.~

Moneyman: Could you make the chest using Demo's palette (that is #8)? I fiddled around a bit with it, but I'm sure you can make it look nicer than I ever could. XD
Money

Post by Money »

Diortem wrote:Moneyman: Could you make the chest using Demo's palette (that is #8)? I fiddled around a bit with it, but I'm sure you can make it look nicer than I ever could. XD
Fun Fact: My real original I made a while back used Fire Demo's palette. But that was before I knew how palettes worked and that it would turn into different colors when used in game.
I can't really see how it would work using Demo's palette without either turning different colors or being pure gold, skin color, and teal.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Ow, didn't think of that one myself. XD Gold sounds nice, but there's like only three tones, right? I can't think of any palette (part) that is fixed or common, to keep it the consistent or at least recognizable in any level. Otherwise, I guess we'll have to accept this deficiency.

Edit: The behaviour of the chest is now what it is supposed to be, so it is basically done, apart from picking a memory address to store the message table.

It feels a bit empty now. Just a proposition, because I'm a little bored now: it could be made that the 16x16 tile is loaded based on a flag per level i.e. make it optional. It could still work without breaking levels, and if it turns out to be too error prone it can be completely disabled alltogether. I'll see what I can do about it, even if we're not going to use it in the end product. :P
Last edited by Diortem 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Give it the coin's palette and make it flash constantly!