(shouting)

Treasure Chest and stuff

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Treasure Chest and stuff

Post by limepie20 »

the omelette description was too long so I just took out the "Uh..."
Don't we need it to be saved to SRAM because you need every treasure chest to 100% complete the game?
Money

Post by Money »

Let it be know that I have NO clue how ASM works
But when the treasure chest is collected in a level, couldn't it trigger some sort of switch for that level that's all like THE CHEST WAS COLLECTED HERE and maybe there could be a little icon on the overworld map thing, and the treasure would show up in the treasure room or not, depending on weather the switch for that level was on or off, and the chest could be coded to just turn that switch on, so you could recollect the chest and nothing would change?
God that was worded horribly, I hope you understood it.
I also hope that what I suggested isn't completely impossible.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

made sense to me, but I'm no good with ASM either

basically a line when the open-treasure event is triggered that sets a level flag for "Has treasure" which would be stored in an array?
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

So SRAM support is required, then. Okay, I'll see to it that that is fixed. It's not that hard (chdata's chest already supported that). If that's the case then should the chest be a one-time event or are you allowed to recollect it?

However, I dunno how to add an icon on the overworld map. Does anyone know how the Yoshi Coins do this? Or at least can show me the ASM that was used for it.
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

Diortem wrote:should the chest be a one-time event or are you allowed to recollect it?
In my opinion, we should have them be recollectable like the parrot coins are. And besides, you have the fog remover thing in your level, right? If we only let chests be gotten once, it'll only work once.

Also in regards to the treasure room, I think it would be neat if we could make some ASM that has the sprites of the treasures you've collected fetch the correct text and display the description.

I don't have any experience with ASM, but I think you could reuse some of the code that checks if the treasure has been collected but instead of checking for the flag, it reads the corresponding treasure description, like this example using sample treasure #10:
Hypothetical code that checks whether to display treasure wrote:Go to the place where all the flags are.
Go 10 flags in and check that flag.
If true, display treasure.
Hypothetical code that shows description wrote:Wait until down is pressed on treasure.
Go to the place where all the descriptions are.
Go 10 descriptions in and display it.
Sorry if this turns out to be completely unhelpful in ASM.
Last edited by Lobster_Horde 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

if you make them recollectable they should be empty, after the first time, just like dragon coins are outlines after you get them once.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Things aren't as simple as that. The outline stuff won't be possible, because there' simply isn't enough room for more sprites in GFX00. You could consider alternative palettes, but then you get to the point where palettes are unrestricted, thus would screw up for some levels. In short, I can't think of any way to do that.

The treasure room idea is doable. The Extra bit setting could be used for this in the Treasure Chest sprite to override the OW level ID with the X low position. If the chest in that particular level uses a different tile for the closed animation that would be relatively easy to make.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think the treasure chest shouldn't be recollectable. It's fine as it is. If we could get a treasure room going, that would be awesome.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Very well, then. So what needs to be done is:
-Make it one-time event / Persist in SRAM
-Try to make a second sprite for the treasure room

I think it is better to use the Extra bit of the Treasure Chest to not persist the chest (so people can test their levels more easily). And thus use a separate sprite for the treasure room. I've marked that up "Signup & Reservation" thread.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Given the limit of ten sprites processing at once, a set of custom objects would probably be much better for a treasure room; creating an object that spawns a tile only if some condition has been met is really simple.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Too true. But I was thinking of either spreading the sprites out a bit (like having a room per world), but that could be complicated, that would show the message, when you press 'up' infront of them. Your idea is likely better in any case. Hmm...

btw. now that you're reading this.
I read on SMWcentral about a thread which you also posted in about having Yoshi's fireballs interact with Map16 tiles. It turned out to be pretty easy to make such a thing (see bottom of this post).
kil3

Post by kil3 »

For the treasure room, you could do away with the SMW sprite framework altogether... Just place the tiles directly to OAM, then you can have as many sprite tiles on screen as the SNES allows. If there's no interaction with the sprites you could probably even do the whole thing in a levelasm code.

Objects is the best way though.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Sounds like a palette nightmare.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Possibly, but seeing how the treasures are working out at the moment (in the props thread), I think it won't be that bad. I'll just try out what the possibilities are with the object idea without making this too complicated, or any other feasible idea that pops up. At least we can keep track how many of the treasures have an incompatible non-standard palette. If there's only a few it should be possible to work around that, otherwise it has to be reconsidered.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

you can just make the rooms sublevels with different custom palettes, there are so many left.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Yeah but that's ghetto. At least try to be non-ghetto first.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

So I honestly think that we should get the chest and treasures working 100% first, and then start on a room.
Baby steps, guys, baby steps.
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I've made an update for the chest, which can be incorporated into the next Base ROM.
-Fixed some glitter issues when the sprite is off-screen
-Added support for SRAM (incl. 3 different save files)
-Chest is now a 1x time event (Set the Extra bit to make the chest always appear!)

The SRAM part is still in a non-finished state:
-The SRAM access happens directly the only way to make the event undone is by loading and old save state or removing the SRAM file the emulator generates. This will be resolved by the second item

-I want to merge the bits with the Yoshi Coin data (each level has 5 coins so that leaves 3 bits in every SRAM byte for the chest, which only needs one, to use). This should already happen in a RAM buffer so the only way to persist it is by a normal game save. I tried to contact Chibikko about this, but so far I haven't had any luck catching him.

About the treasure room:
If we were to use blocks then we'd need like 96 blocks to show all the treasure, right (one for each level)? Is that still a viable option given that we're running out of Map16 data?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Talkhaus still has tiles reserved to it that it hasn't used yet. I could take another map16 page to reserve for talkhaus if we need another.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

Just let me know, I'll set it up however we need to have it done. What I'm thinking /for/ the tiles is that we will put in the tiles, then limepie, or someone similar, once the treasures are given their number, that tile will have its palette adjusted to the palette closest to the treasure's colors.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think it would be easier to just literally make all the block palettes into the sprite palettes and make a foreground that uses a sprite palette.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

And here's to another patch update on Page 1. The main differences (as described in the readme) are:

-Changed HDMA channel from 3 to 5 for better compatibility (the latter is hardly ever used)
-Changed Windowed HDMA pixel offset by one to show leftmost column correctly
-Fixed priority for Layer 3 tiles to prevent clipping errors
-Updated SRAM support to work in conjunction with memory used by Dragon/Parrot Coins using the 7th bit for each level (which is unused by the coins).
Last edited by Diortem 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Thanks, Dior. You've been awesome. This will be included in the next baserom update.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Thanks, all the stuff adds to the originality of this particular hack.
However, if there's someone awesome doing a lot of work around here, it's you. ;)
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

Hi,

I'm trying to insert the chest but I'm getting stuck at this line

3. Overwrite "GFX00.bin" in /Graphics with the one provided in the package

I've looked in the zip from the first post in this thread and in
the PATCH folder included with 2.16 [where i found all the other files I needed
the three chest_gfx files for example].
Am I looking for another GFX00.bin or do I pick the chest_gfx file that applies to
the number of my level even though that's not mentioned until further down in the
instructions?

Thanks,

GanonTEK