(shouting)

Treasure Chest and stuff

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
keckcellent

Re: Treasure Chest and stuff

Post by keckcellent »

Diortem wrote: Keckcellent: Thanks for the input! I think there's something strange going on with the palettes indeed. If you look a the picture above the in-game chest and treasure sprite use exact same color indices and palettes, yet the one at the top is darker. In Lunar Magic they both look dark when editing, so it seems the palette of the sprite next to Demo is manipulated by something, just like yours is green most likely. The only thing I could think of is that 'color addition' is enabled (register $2130 or $44 using the in-game mirror). Hmm... does anyone have some ideas about this?
The reason my chest was green was because I changed Palette A to be green (so the podoboos match my 'lava'). You probably know way better than I do but you may just want to doublecheck the two palettes. Nonetheless, amazing work.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Moneyman (and also Kil): I used Palette 8 with only using color indices $0 to $A, since the top ones change if Demo gets a fire flower. This was the only way to make it look decent in any level. And indeed, gfx/spriting is not my forte. If you'd like to have a look at it, then here's the bin file for GFX00, I hope you make something nice out of it with that palette.

If it's really that much of an issue we could revert back to palette A, but I'm not going to fix the levels for which it screws up in. BTW. I made the chest glitter every second or so it looks more treasury, but you can't see that only pictures I made so far.~

EDIT: Oh, there's one more thing I totally forgot about. The SFX to play when the chest is opened. I have no ideas about that one myself. The music Chdata picked (Puzzle solved from ALttP) works, so that is fine by me. In his test code he used SFX slot $51 for this. Is that slot still free?
Attachments
GFX00_Chest@$20.zip
GFX file with the current chest (uses palette 8)
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I don't think any of the sound effects have been used yet.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Okay, we can still add that later on then. I've released the sources for the entire patch. See the first post.

I tried it on a A2MT 2.15 base rom and it worked for me. Please read the instructions for all the steps (I've been quite elaborate, so some babysteps can quickly be skimmed over :P). If you run into trouble just post in the thread, thank you.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

So I've been thinking about this for the last few days now...
And I know there was a post about it somewhere, I think it was called props or something... Stage props I think.
But eehmm, what are we going to be using for treasure? And are we just going to be making a big list, and having the designers pick which one they want? Or having the designers suggest things? Who's going to be drawing the graphics for them? Yadder yadder.
I'm just thinking that, if we go back to the complete levels, and ask the designers what they wanted in their levels, they might have quit the talkhaus, seeing as their part was done, and we might not get an answer back from them, just like they didn't respond for the Dredge project...

So what do you guys think?

I suggest we make a list of things we could have, and put them in accordingly, OR, have the current level designers pick something cool for their own levels, and we put in level specific treasure for the levels already inserted (icey level? Icey treasure).
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think that we should just pick the treasure for the designer unless they post that they want a specific treasure in their level.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

download/file.php?id=2897

here was my level's it was called "Horse Egg" (the first tile, the leftmost one at the top, that is) and I don't remember if I had a caption. I have ideas for my other levels, too. Should we post them here if we do have ideas?
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah you should post that stuff.
ProfessorDemetri

So... correct me if I'm wrong, would Wyatt be up to drawing these?
Wyatt, if you're listening... :lol:

Or maybe even, having the current level designers draw their own, if they want.
But yeah, for the most part, Lime, that's what I was thinking too. Just putting in appropriate treasure for the level would be fine, unless otherwise stated by the level designer.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

The contents of the chests has no technical limitations, other than removing layer 3 to my knowledge. So yeah, I only made the chests for you to plan/choose whatever you wish to insert. We can use either that or this thread to maintain a list for the props.

For my own entry I had my chest initially in a foggy area, hence I was thinking of showing some crazy treasure that repels/removes the mist. So it would actually 'work' in my sublevel, rather than moving it to a different area. That's more or less using the con to an advantage. :P I'll post the result in the test forum, when I'm done with my level (and that shouldn't take too long from now). If you think this is a bad idea, I'll sign up for another sublevel so I can place the chest in a non-layer3 area instead.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

That's actually super clever and encourage you to use it!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ProfessorDemetri

Ahaha, yeah, I agree! That's really a neat idea!
Reminds me of an RPG.
-You have acquired magic ring!-
This ring let's you see through the fog...
:lol:
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Only one problem: you can only use that trick... once... no?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Not necessarily, but the charm only works once in my opinion.

But like I said, this shouldn't be a problem for most of the levels. The Layer 3 restriction should be known; Chdata's version had it, and any message box in SMW has it. Therefore, I do believe most designers have taken it into account. Besides layer 3 is not used that often all the same. For my 0.9 test patch (on page 1) I randomly placed chests in the first 12 levels and didn't notice any layer 3 disappearances at all.

Although, some levels don't use GFX00 like "Further over there" so those GFX files need to be updated with the chest sprites as well, cause otherwise you only see some glittering in the air at a fixed point. That's would be a devious way to hide a chest. XD

That reminds me: Moneyman, are you working on to making a better chest GFX that still works with the palette restrictions?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

So what are the character limits on the treasure names and descriptions? I had an idea for my first level, but I'm not sure if it would fit.
Money

Post by Money »

Diortem wrote:That reminds me: Moneyman, are you working on to making a better chest GFX that still works with the palette restrictions?
Oops that kinda slipped my mind
This is just my two cents but: I think it would be fine using the red palette. I mean, if the red palette is changed, it would just change along with the rest of the red in the level, making it fit more. I'll try making a nicer one using the red palette and the Demo palette, and you can decide what works better
Edit: Image Bam, here ya go.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

YCZ: Taken directly from the "Readme.txt" in the "A2MT_Chest_Src_v0.9a.zip". ;)

ItemName : Text string of at most 16 characters
ItemValue : Text string of at most 12 characters
Description: Text string of at most 2x 26 characters

Moneyman: They both look the great! Are the two identical copies, as in only the palette index is different? Because then I think we could use the "extra bit" feature of the sprite so the level designer can pick between red (default) and Demo's palette as a fallback, if the red palette was customized.
Money

Post by Money »

Diortem wrote:Moneyman: They both look the great! Are the two identical copies, as in only the palette index is different? Because then I think we could use the "extra bit" feature of the sprite so the level designer can pick between red (default) and Demo's palette as a fallback, if the red palette was customized.
No, unfortunately it uses different colors in relation to each other
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Moneyman: Okay, that's clear. I'll see if I can get them closer together or at least make sure they work with both palettes. That way the Extra bit can be used to switch between palette.

OR we could have two files with GFX00 data, but with the different chests that level designers can select from. Some people already have custom versions so then we could have Palette A for all levels that allow the shiny red chest (which is the majority), and Palette 8 for as a fallback for the others.

Any others having an opinion about this?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

If we aren't wanting to fight with the chest info, can we simply give the info in our TXT file and have it inserted that way, or is it now one of our responsibilities? My version is too old and at this point it's really silly to switch. I just need graphics and music for my levels.
For my levels:

Menagerie in Glass
Name: Horse Egg
Value: 155 G
Description: Uh... I think it's too late to use this in an omelette.
Palette: D

A Stroll Beneath the Stars
Name: Amber
Value: 512 G
Description: My favorite gemstone, and look at that beetle!
Palette: A

Goofy Grotto
Name: Goofy Mask
Value: 10000 G
Description: SO SO HAPPY.
Palette: 9
ExGFXFFF.zip
Amber, Goofy Mask
Horse Egg, Scrabble letters C, R,W,T,and H (Former plot idea) their palettes are marked below them.
(801 Bytes) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by Tails_155 12 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Tails:
I was looking through the stage props thread yesterday and you had a different description for 101 there. Which one do you want?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I'll take a peer opinion, which is better? Though I do want the price in the original ;P
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Ehm.. I couldn't find your post in the Stage prop topic (searched for 101 and then for Tails) which post is it?

Minor update: I uploaded treasure chest patch 0.95 in the first post of this topic. It assumes you already have the A2MT 2.16 patch as it only contains the files that were modified. The patch now enabled you to use a custom palette for the treasure chest. Which essentially means you have all the freedom you need to modify the chest's looks for your own level.

P.S. The patch is backwards compatible with the 0.9 one in the current base ROM, as it doesn't require any additional ROM to store the palettes.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

The original comment was
It sees you... and it's hungry.

ALSO! HEY GUYS I EDITED THIS POST.

Time to throw a wrench in all the celebrating lol

Should there be a treasure room? (Akin to Yoshi's House in style.)

If so I can use my space graphics and try to make something, if you can also program a thing that'll make graphics switch based on of they're collected, we can make a series of shelves. Just a thought.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I think the one about the "omelet" is nicer.
I thought that idea was dropped. Also the chests aren't persisted in SRAM, so there's currently no way to tell which ones you got. You can recollect them any time you like.