Re: Announcements: What's new, yo?

Post by spitznagl »

Alright
ImageImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I'm about 75% finished with my level. I've worked on it the last two days. It'll take basically one more day to finish.

SPOILER question: Can I still use the grassy charles? Even though it's not a forest sibling?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

What is a grassy charles?
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:What is a grassy charles?
The A2MT Chucks.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh I see. Of course you can.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

You can consider me the current leader now. I'm working on getting a new baserom out with the updated levels and then inserting the other ones. Hopefully it won't be more than a week. I don't have this weekend.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Can't raocow just manage it?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

alex2 wrote:I've stepped down
Why?

(This is a legit question; I'm actually not mocking you for once. However, depending on your response, I may change my mind.)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Wont that mean raocow will see spoilers if he's the head of the project? Also I've not had net for awhile and wont after tonight. :(
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Franky wrote:Wont that mean raocow will see spoilers if he's the head of the project?
Oh who cares.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

Can't we just have something done one day? We've been working on this for a long time. You guys veen managed to start AND finish ASMBXT... oh, and START Another project. Seriously now, its taking forever.

Edit: I mean, this is like the only porject i really worked on and now look at what happen. some left, Alex 2 just gave up so we have MORE work to do. I am truly sorry but this upset me a lot.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

ano0maly wrote:
Franky wrote:Wont that mean raocow will see spoilers if he's the head of the project?
Oh who cares.
Well, I enjoyed the fact of my level(s) being played blind by raocow. That was great motivation actually. So I guess I care, or did. At this point it's better to atleast have the project done.

Don't worry tenta, we are at the end of this thing, not many levels to insert! Even with Alex2 as the head, things weren't exactly going fast from what I remember. Not a knock on him, but levels were still being worked on, which is what I mean pretty much.

I've still got internet it seems, that's a good thing. :)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

tenta wrote:Can't we just have something done one day? We've been working on this for a long time. You guys veen managed to start AND finish ASMBXT... oh, and START Another project. Seriously now, its taking forever.
Don't stress about it. Even if it takes another 5 years, nobody is going to abandon this thing. Speaking as someone who has led both of the SMW Central collab hacks, trying to hand over leadership or split the load with someone else is extremely tedious, and it's very easy to lose track of things. This project has went through half a dozen leaders - I can only begin to imagine how hard it must have been to keep all of the resources together.

That being said, A2MT is currently a mess in terms of resource distribution - there is half-finished stuff everywhere, unfinished bosses and levels floating around, etc. That being said though, I guarantee the hack WILL get done, so don't worry about that.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Franky wrote:
ano0maly wrote:
Oh who cares.
Well, I enjoyed the fact of my level(s) being played blind by raocow. That was great motivation actually. So I guess I care, or did. At this point it's better to atleast have the project done.
At this point I can safely say that I care more about the game than raocow's let's play of it. The game shouldn't be just for the sake of LPing, but more like the other way around.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Don't worry about Alex, guys. It may seem like he gave up, but that's far from the real reason he left. I've got some vigor in me right now and hopefully can get some good stuff done. And what SNN says is true. I've been here for like three years now buy never have I not felt confident about this thing being finished. I'll always be here at least.

It seems weird to say it, but I knew one of the good things about naming someone new a leader was that the new leader starts to get stuff done, and other people start to feel good about it. When a new leader is naned, there is a big boost of progress from everyone. I saw this happen with me and Systemkrash and now Alex again. Not to discredit anything Alex did, but I'm just saying nothing has necessarily gone wrong. In fact, exactly what I wanted happened: things are moving. And now I feel good enough to pick it back up.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

THE RECENTLY BANNED ALEX2 HAS FINISHED PARROT COIN THING

HE ALSO USED A BAD WORD.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQABwPutPQ
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It looks like all forum attatchments are gone, so you lost those if you don't have copies.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Last I heard about this Rao sent off a message to the brain in the jar asking if we had the files that contain attachments + avatar. Nothing to do but wait and see if we have those. Elsewhere I said it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost attachments, but I didn't know the collab forums made use of them. Hold tight, we'll see how things work out.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For A2MBXT, it's not too much of an issue, since I have copies of most everything, and the only important things that are lost are after june first. For the other collabs, this may be an issue though (like A2MT here, where it looks like all/most of the music, plus the baserom was uploaded here)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

There is also the issue of the work we have to do. The later the project is released, the more unimpressive it's going to be compared to the A2/3MBXT projects.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:Hey guys let's compare apples to oranges because that's fair
My bad, I forgot that a game is a completely different concept from a game. We've done a lot of stuff that hasn't been done before in ASMBXT, including what some may call custom bosses.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

It takes less effort to stitch together a working X Engine game than it does to stitch together a working SMW Engine game. Once you have the framework in the X Engine, it's literally just a matter of plugging in the level and making sure the assets are all there. For SMW, there's a lot of code changes that go into custom levels, particularly of the degree that we're going for, and that takes a lot more testing than just the "Is it playable, is it fun, is it breakable" necessary for X. Not to mention the changes that are being made to the overall game itself.

Which I realize I'm also oversimplifying the process in place for A2MBXT, but ASMBXT literally was those three criteria (and the second one was essentially optional for "bonus" crap).

Either way, just automatically assuming that the X Engine games will be better received than A2MT just because they got released sooner and more frequently is like saying a guy who cranks out three good Zelda Classic games a year is better than a guy who puts out one hardware valid Zelda 1 hack that he's spent years perfecting and testing.

(While A2MT probably won't be hardware valid, the comparison still stands.)

Ultimately, all the custom stuff we're doing with the X Engine games is done at the stage level, while most if not all of the custom stuff we're doing with A2MT is being done at the program level.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

raekuul wrote:It takes less effort to stitch together a working X Engine game than it does to stitch together a working SMW Engine game. Once you have the framework in the X Engine, it's literally just a matter of plugging in the level and making sure the assets are all there. For SMW, there's a lot of code changes that go into custom levels, particularly of the degree that we're going for, and that takes a lot more testing than just the "Is it playable, is it fun, is it breakable" necessary for X. Not to mention the changes that are being made to the overall game itself.
You can't really judge a game by the effort put into it. Just because it's twice as hard to make a SMW level doesn't mean it's any better.
raekuul wrote:Either way, just automatically assuming that the X Engine games will be better received than A2MT just because they got released sooner and more frequently is like saying a guy who cranks out three good Zelda Classic games a year is better than a guy who puts out one hardware valid Zelda 1 hack that he's spent years perfecting and testing.
Given that I worked on both projects I'm not assuming much. A2MT is going to show it's age, and given that it was going to be "boss heavy"(It's not) and that it's well assumed that SMW is soooo much better for making bosses, it's fair to say that people are going to wonder why such a average hack took 5 years when nearly every other project took months(including ASMT).
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:You can't really judge a game by the effort put into it. Just because it's twice as hard to make a SMW level doesn't mean it's any better.
His point is that they're different. A SMW collab will always take longer than a SMBX one, since SMBX collabs are easier and the process is more streamlined. You have absolutely no idea how insane A2MT's creation is on my end (that is, from the perspective of someone working behind-the-scenes to put everything together). Something like this takes a lot of time and some serious dedication to pull out. There is a reason why limepie stepped down from management, and it wasn't because he simply lost interest.

I think you're just arguing a moot point. If you think A2MT "shows its age," who cares?
Yes, I already know hacking is a lot of work. It means nothing to the player if they aren't hackers themselves.

Anyway, speaking of Limepie, I thought he was fixing the levels? That's actually was the process I'm currently most interested in. Last I asked, he was about half way done. Since I seem to be one of the few testers, I wouldn't mind knocking a few levels off the broken list.

Anyways, things should be getting back in order, whatever that is for the project.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

alex2 wrote:It'll age fine and nobody will care, trust me.
At the rate ROM hacking is dying off these days, I imagine it won't even have a chance to age at all, let alone age well.

(I agree with the comments about SMW hacks being way harder to put together than SMBX mishmashes though, totally true.)