(shouting)

Switch Palaces!

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Switch Palaces!

Post by limepie20 »

I kinda feel like a checkerboard pattern would also force that abstract aesthetic because checkerboards seem common in abstract levels almost like a cliche. Again, this is a nitpick and doesn't need to be fixed.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

limepie20 wrote:I kinda feel like a checkerboard pattern would also force that abstract aesthetic because checkerboards seem common in abstract levels almost like a cliche. Again, this is a nitpick and doesn't need to be fixed.
Bathroom tile designs would be just a easy, although diagonal designs might be worth it.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Got some diagonal liny things (and it is still moving, because I think it looks dumb when it's not moving)
Level 123 1.3
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yes! I like that a lot more. You are not bad at backgrounds.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Also the part you found unfair, is that okay now? Because now you have a spot where you can see whats going on.
Also, where do I have to post the level and the graphics? (I never was a part of a collab hack and there seem to be like 3 possible places to post my lvel)
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Post the IPS in the clearing thread to get it cleared. Then once it's cleared, post your resources in the level submission thread (read the first post there).
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I added on to my Switch Palace level. Right now, I need to ask for people to try it out and provide feedback.
Link

To get to it, go into Parrot's Pad Planning Phase (104) and take the second door next to the switch blocks.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Systemkrash:
I've mentioned this before, but the theme is really cool, and you expressed it seamlessly. I thought that the level design was fun overall. It felt challenging enough, and it was fast-paced, but if you did everything correctly, the timing of the obstacles seemed to line up favorably.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ limepie20: Thanks; I'll send this to clearing then.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Hold on a sec, there's only gonna be 8 switch palace rooms? That seems skimpy to me, I was under the impression we'd have at least 16. Final castles (which we're modeling our switch palaces after) usually have 3 to 5 rooms in a row with no checkpoint, and this works because it's rewarding to get through multiple rooms in one go, and also more appropriate for end-game difficulty. All our current switch rooms are way shorter than our average late-game half-level, so we should be stringing at least two together without giving the player a checkpoint.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I would actually place the difficulty of the switch palaces between Muncher Ruins(not counting the boss) and House of Turner. It's more deadly per a screen than most endgame levels and lasts about 32 screens.

I do agree it's a bit short, but unless we can turn out 4 bosses then I can't think of a way to extend them. My idea for a simple boss used multiple times still stands.

If we simply add more levels to it, it will fell like we've completely lost focus.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think we should put the levels together and then see how it feels. If we need to, we can add things. We are only waiting on two more levels for now.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Starting from pretty much scratch a third time, given that I pretty much had to scrap what I had due to changing what layer 2 command I was using. It's not that far along yet (only goes through screen 5), but I'd like to see what people think of the idea before committing to the entire level.
[My level was done, but it kind of had a mediocre showing. It's in the Testing and Development thread, but right now I feel that putting it here is a bit more appropriate]
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Pheonix wrote:Starting from pretty much scratch a third time, given that I pretty much had to scrap what I had due to changing what layer 2 command I was using. It's not that far along yet (only goes through screen 5), but I'd like to see what people think of the idea before committing to the entire level.
[My level was done, but it kind of had a mediocre showing. It's in the Testing and Development thread, but right now I feel that putting it here is a bit more appropriate]
I like what I see so far. I think you main weakness is actually the lack of meaningful enemies. You can be quite creative since you haven't committed to much, and you could even try something that isn't overused by utilizing the gimmick. With abstract graphics you could probably get away with an odd combination(Like Sleep Fish Face in House of Turner). You should test these things before you continue making the level itself so it can be constructed more fittingly.

Notes on what you did.
f8 notes.png
f8 notes.png (36.53 KiB) Viewed 7490 times
Point 1: The ceiling appears to be safe when layer 2 is completely up, but spikes will get the player anyways. Try raising the ceiling 1 block so the danger is clear.

Point 2: I don't know if you planned the platform itself as an hazard but it turn out as a funny death for me. If you did plan it great thinking.

point 3: I don't like this trap, but it could probably stay as this is the endgame.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Finally went and did something for the rest of this level. The things at the end are a little more instadeath than I had originally intended, but it's all perfectly doable.

I'd be fine in replacing that second non layer 2 bit with something else, however.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Pheonix wrote:Finally went and did something for the rest of this level. The things at the end are a little more instadeath than I had originally intended, but it's all perfectly doable.

I'd be fine in replacing that second non layer 2 bit with something else, however.
Enemies:
The is only one sparky, which is very odd. I think they could be used to great effect in this level, especially around the layer 2.
I notice that you seem to be using only SP3 enemies, so you could greatly add to the variety of level using SP4 sprites if you desired.
I think it's very important to improve the enemy set at least one of these two ways.

Level design:
I found it completely odd that you lost the spikes completely after the first set of layer 2.
The second set of Layer 2 is quite boring. It could probably benefit from some enemies, but the design itself could probably use some work.
The "second non layer 2 bit" is a place the could be improved with more interesting design and enemies.
The final section is a bit hard and will be likely not pass clearing.

Also, there is a chance that the player will bring a nonsmall Demo in from a previous section some don't make big punishing sections.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Well, all right, I'm giving up my level. I got all the map16 shenanigans and stuff done, but I hit the roadblock where I always did in previous projects in that I can't design levels for crap! I'll post what I had here so that someone else can take the idea and run with it (you'll probably want to use ExGFX to make it prettier, the graphics are all vanilla right now)

Level: Here

Map16: Here
(Note: There's two tiles of overlap with some already-inserted Map16 on the page, but I included them in the file so hopefully it won't cause problems)

Palette: Here
(Note: There are no new colors, but I shifted the existing ones around a bit to make the background work. This broke a lot of sprites and blocks, so you might want to use ExGFX if you want to use more colors)
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I'll take on designing this level using cirno's map16.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

limepie20 wrote:I think we should put the levels together and then see how it feels. If we need to, we can add things. We are only waiting on two more levels for now.
What are the pairings of levels going to be based on?
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

The levels won't be paired because the player gets to pick which second half he plays (because each will correspond to a switch). All we will do is decide whether a level will be the first or second half. I or someone else will probably just put whatever feels right/fine.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Are there levels with predominant colour schemes? The smart thing to do would be to match the levels with their 'switches' and more colourful/colourless ones be the 'static' one.

With what we got now, would somethign like this be possible?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh yeah, that should be fine.
Some levels are pretty simple graphically, and changing color schemes won't be troublesome.
So actually, the ones with these simple graphics will probably end up being the second halves.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

limepie20 wrote:The levels won't be paired because the player gets to pick which second half he plays (because each will correspond to a switch). All we will do is decide whether a level will be the first or second half. I or someone else will probably just put whatever feels right/fine.
I was confused because of the picture that Septentrion Pleiades posted on page 9 of this forum. Also because I have seen FrostyFish88's choice and switch rooms.

On a different note can I request that my level be a first half? If you enter the room through a door some enemies act differently than I expected them to.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Cirno wrote:Map16: Here
(Note: There's two tiles of overlap with some already-inserted Map16 on the page, but I included them in the file so hopefully it won't cause problems)
Do you mean only two of the map 16 tile need to be claimed? Please specify which tiles need new places.

Edit: sorry about that, I was showing the number of rooms and didn't think about actual placement.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:On a different note can I request that my level be a first half? If you enter the room through a door some enemies act differently than I expected them to.
I don't know because if your level is fit for a palette swap, it would be a lot better to put it in the second half.
Your reasoning totally makes sense, though. I wouldn't want my level changed in a weird way either. If we need your level to be in the second half, I'll try as best as I can to make sure that those enemies don't act weirdly. I don't know what would cause that to happen.