(shouting)

Switch Palaces!

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Switch Palaces.

Post by raocow »

That would actually be pretty awesome
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mrmrkohl

Post by Mrmrkohl »

Or maybe even make each one a mini-boss type thing so it's an abnormal furry-goomba-thing that can do, say : Jump around and use the earthquake landing effect, or shoot fireballs, or etc.. Nothing super hard.
I'm back... and as useless as ever!!!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I don't know if we could make a mini boss for each switch but one of tge switch palaces gimmicks could be a walking switch or something. That would be cool.
Mrmrkohl

Post by Mrmrkohl »

Okay, but maybe it would be cool if they each had different graphics such as:
Red= Red "Do not press/skull and crossbones" button that walks.
Yellow= Walking yellow couch cushion/pillow.
Blue= Something.
Green= Something else.
I think that could be cool, and also that maybe in the room before the room the switch is in, there is a charging chuck that runs away instead of towards you and breaks through blocks to a hole that it falls down. You jump down and you fall into a room were you press it. (It should only take one hit instead of all the hits a chuck takes though)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I like the idea of the walking switch but it just seems very pointless. I think it would just work if only one of the switches walked and that was incorporated into its level.

The only cool thing that you could do with having all switches walk is making them walk like their colored koopa but still you can't just have a random walking switch it would need to somehow work with the level and it's no fun if whoever makes the level has to design it a certain way. Unless we want to decide the gimmicks for the switch palace and just have other people make levels around them but there's no point to that. Except for walking switches.
Mrmrkohl

Post by Mrmrkohl »

@ The not fun if the level must be designed a certain way it may not be fun for it's creator point: The switch could be put anyway the person wanted. Hidden, in a sub-level, just randomly walking around. They wouldn't have to build it a certain way as long as the switch was in it which is already a requirement for the switch levels.
@ The no point in walking switches point: There doesn't have to be a point to them. This is a random game that doesn't make much sence already. (There's a octopus on a flying platform that throws bannas)
If people don't want to they don't have to. I just thought it would be cool.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

I think it would be fun as long as we could four different enough says to utilize it. The actual sprite would be simple enough to create (the only hard part would probably be telling SMW that its supposed to be a switch palace ending instead of a regular one), so I'd say go for it.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

non-dangerous 32x32 goombas that are really switches that just walk around and bump into walls sounds good
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Joelcll

Post by Joelcll »

Giant goomba and walking switch boss. Genius.
Last edited by Joelcll 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

We are just going to use four different levels because we couldnt get that to work.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Is it too early or too..erm..ballsy for lack of a better word to ask to reserve a switch palace? It's just I had this idea that I thought would be pretty neat. And I suppose my word that I have an idea that is neat isn't enough, so here.
It would be either the yellow or green switch palace (leaning toward green) and it would be basically a packaging plant, it would show mushrooms* (or feathers*) being loaded into blocks and stuff, and the level would be in the plant.

(*Or whatever the sprite-swaps are called)
If it is too early but you guys like the idea I suppose you can take it. :P
EDIT:
Continuing on my idea;
It would start out as a very short forest romp and then there is a boarded up factory of which you sneak into through the window, and you come into what seems to be basically a tour of the building set up for people to walk in and see, detailing growing the radish/whatever the feather is and smiling happy bunny guys pick them and put them into boxes. Then you get to the end and there is a boarded up door with an exit sign, but on the wall there is a dark door, maybe with blood around it or something eerie, and when you go inside somehow you find out that ohno, the bunnies are oppressed slaves and they revolted and they were murdered and the plant was abandoned or something.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Each switch palace will have two creators: one for each half of the level. We won't start handing out switch palace levels yet, but when it's ready, there will be eight spots open and you'll probably get one.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Although switch palaces are supposed to be surreal/abstract, and that won't fit (unless it's an abstract/surreal packing plant)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

I was thinking dark, (in the literal sense and in the genre sense) with the spirits of the bunnies seeking vengeance.

That sentence was weird.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

While I'm about exhausted as far as levels for this, and I couldn't make one on par with what I figure it requires, a silent sublevel could be fitting for this area of the game.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think it's time we get started on these.
Before signups are opened, there's a few things we should decide on. Firstly, should we have universal graphics for the switch palace? I definitely think we should. It would be nice to have one forground/background tileset and just have the palette switch for each room (i.e. maybe gray or black for neutral areas and then the corresponding colors for the color you pick).
Also, we should decide on a universal theme as well. I've picked out two that have been suggested at one time or another, and I think they'd both fit nicely.
This and this.

So yeah,
raocow

Post by raocow »

I reiterate that we should focus on making the levels either abstract or surreal. Basically, they can't look 'normal', and a2mt already has a very loose definition of 'normal'. So although a universal tileset could be used, it should also be encouraged to 'expand' on them.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Alright, I like that idea. If we do that, a universal tileset would probably not be optimal, though. I think we should just let the designers handle the graphics, then.
Would it still be good to have the colors of the level correspond to the switch if we do that, though? I don't want every level being the same old black background with a unicolor color scheme.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I think everyone should make them 'gray' and then the palette will be adjusted appropriately when we decide where each one would best fit. They'll be adjusted during the insertion process.
raocow

Post by raocow »

oh yeah, another thing is we probably should put a hard cap on the amountof screens a 'sublevel' can be. Essentially, we kind of want each levels to be roughly the same size.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

How abstract is "abstract enough" for a game that already has some abstract levels in it, though? That's the question.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Post by SnackJackSJ »

We definitely don't want to go over board with the abstract effect. Because that would just make the levels look sloppy.
If we don't use enough of the abstract effect, it would look a bit too bland.
So, we need to go somewhere in the middle here. And that is the hardest part about this is deciding how much is enough, and how much isn't.
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

raocow wrote:oh yeah, another thing is we probably should put a hard cap on the amountof screens a 'sublevel' can be. Essentially, we kind of want each levels to be roughly the same size.
I don't think we necessarily need a cap because the way a level is designed can affect how long x screens really is. If anybody makes something that's too long, we can just tell them to cut down.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the music? I think one universal theme is a must, and we should get that decided.

And there's no point in discussing levels of abstractness. We'll let people make stuff and judge what's already done, not the prospect of it.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

For music, some sort of remix of the lullaby? Or would that be overused at this point?
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

limepie20 wrote:Also, we should decide on a universal theme as well. I've picked out two that have been suggested at one time or another, and I think they'd both fit nicely.
This and this.
Again, I think it would be best to use one of these two, and one them actually is a remix of the lullaby.