(shouting)

Switch Palaces!

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Lv27MarkerMMan

Re: Switch Palaces!

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

limepie20 wrote:I don't know because if your level is fit for a palette swap, it would be a lot better to put it in the second half.
Your reasoning totally makes sense, though. I wouldn't want my level changed in a weird way either. If we need your level to be in the second half, I'll try as best as I can to make sure that those enemies don't act weirdly. I don't know what would cause that to happen.
To sum up the issue the enemies at the very beginning move right if you enter the stage through a door instead of left as they should.

If my level has to be a second half I would rather have the beginning edited a bit (I have an idea in mind). However, if my level is a first half I would like to keep it as it is.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I'll definitely tell you if it does end up being the second half, and we can work something out then.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Do you mean only two of the map 16 tile need to be claimed? Please specify which tiles need new places.
Oh, sorry about that, I'm bad with words. I mean that these two rope tiles:
were already in the ROM, so I had to include them in the map16 file as well. You shouldn't need to do anything if they haven't been changed since I claimed my level. Sorry for the confusion!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I don't have to much time for feedback, since I won't have much internet in the coming weeks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q0b6h0q4y04ofci

I would like to know how you feel about this level design. I also can not figure out how to make the upside-down slopes word at all.

Edit testing
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Septention:
Firstly, I'd like to commend whoever designed the aesthetic of the level (you or Cirno). It's very odd, but that's why it's good; it is creative and original. Before I talk about the level design as a whole, there are a few minor issues I'd like to put aside. Firstly, the munchers should all be one color. Make them all the green ones because all of the other munchers' palette were largely unpleasing to me. Also, there were a few thwimps that were on off mode. You should replace them with munchers because they would serve the same purpose, once you get to the on/off thwimp that's on, you are confused as to whether it is off or on (and die). Was that one koopa supposed to be frozen? That was kinda odd.
Now, the level design for the most part was fine. The end of the sublevel should just be the end, though. All the backtracking really makes the level boring and annoying. Do you know what I mean? You've got something nice here, but there's no reason to taint it with going back and forth. It's like artificial length, and the length of the sublevel is pretty much as long as a switch palace level should ever get, so the level is better without the p switches and springboards.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

It was Cirno who made the aesthetics.

I know about enemies being frozen, but I was going to take care of the enemies last. I mostly want feedback about level design and the upside-down slopes not working. I don't know if it's even possible to make structures like I have even functional.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

There are upside down slopes somewhere in the game I think, but that would have to be verified and explained by someone else 'cause I don't know. If not, you should refrain from those upside down slopes. I suggest making them corners that act like 130 (a solid tile).
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

...wow, that's just incredibly silly. Upside-down slopes don't work in the Normal 1 or Normal 2 FG/BG GFX, but they work under everything else... just change it and you should be good to go! (You'll still have to redesign the diamonds at the start, though - there are no upside-down steep slopes in SMW, so those will never work.)

As for the level design, wow, I'm impressed! I love what you did with the aesthetics! I'm not much of a level design critic, but I'd suggest allowing the player to get back onto the awesome pointy thing at the end without a springboard, so it's slightly less of an item babysitting chore. Also, this might be biased since I worked so hard on those squares ( ;) ), but I think some parts could use a few more of them (screens 02, 08 and 0B come to mind) Perhaps a few more enemies too? I dunno, it's up to you.

EDIT: Also, formations like these are sadly bad:
because if Demo walks into them, she clips right through and falls. Putting tile 130 behind them just makes her get stuck, too... upside-down slopes are quite glitchy, unfortunately!
Last edited by Cirno 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Cirno wrote:...wow, that's just incredibly silly. Upside-down slopes don't work in the Normal 1 or Normal 2 FG/BG GFX, but they work under everything else... just change it and you should be good to go! (You'll still have to redesign the diamonds at the start, though - there are no upside-down steep slopes in SMW, so those will never work.)

As for the level design, wow, I'm impressed! I love what you did with the aesthetics! I'm not much of a level design critic, but I'd suggest allowing the player to get back onto the awesome pointy thing at the end without a springboard, so it's slightly less of an item babysitting chore. Also, this might be biased since I worked so hard on those squares ( ;) ), but I think some parts could use a few more of them (screens 02, 08 and 0B come to mind) Perhaps a few more enemies too? I dunno, it's up to you.
Thank you for knowing how slopes work.

I'm good at level design, but I didn't expect this to be the final product. I didn't have high hopes for the backtracking.

In your original level many of the squares had meaning despite being aesthetics, and that would be difficult to retain, so I'm thinking of putting lesser versions without meaning. This was mostly just a level design demo and I do plan on more squares.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

http://www.mediafire.com/?lak52k8nqm9i2cq

I ran out of ideas for this map, and I also had some problems with the pentagon involve sprites freezing. I also had a problem I couldn't reproduce with a pentagon. Other than that this level is nearly complete.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote: I ran out of ideas for this map, and I also had some problems with the pentagon involve sprites freezing. I also had a problem I couldn't reproduce with a pentagon. Other than that this level is nearly complete.
I played it. This is the easiest switch palace portion (the choice and switch rooms don't count of course) that I have played (It also felt the shortest). You can jump over a lot of stuff at the beginning. I had the most trouble with the hitboxes of the sliding blue koopas. As much as it killed me, I'm not sure if it is hard enough.

Odd things:
I found it odd that there is a tiny ounce of puzzle elements at the very end only. To the right of the puzzle there is only a dead-end with some saws on the ground, and otherwise pretty empty. It felt incomplete, but not bad.

Suggestions:
Add more puzzle elements. Not necessarily a lot more, but just to make it feel like the puzzle aspects are more blended in.

Give the player more to do in some places. There are a fair number of places that have 1 to 3 enemies that are really easy to dodge, so they feel empty.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I might be able to make this a good level if I changed the enemy set, but the palettes are a bit weird so it will take a while. I haven't mess around with pulling random 8x8 from the rom for map16 before so it might take a while to get right. The next IPS I produce should be quite a improvement, but it'll take a while.

right now, I think I'm better off removing the the puzzle element.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Here is the progress I made. My next version will be in the clearing thread, but I have a new sprite that is responsible for some slowdown.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3pukm7kfcfscfw
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ Septentrion Pleiades: I patched my ROM and tried to play it, but it crashes and a sound effect (The one where you have 100 seconds left) plays.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

@systemKrash

I couldn't reproduce your error. Are you playing the level at Yoshi's house?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I got the same thing Systemkrash was talking about. We can't even see the title screen, as soon as you open the rom the hurry up sound plays and the rom crashes.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I messed up my clean ROM.

Here is the fixed version.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I have the subtle impression you forgot something in your last post !

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

@Septentrion Pleiades

I played your level. It works now. The stuff before the weird dino-generator isn't too hard. Sometimes I experienced slowdown when I got near the dino-generator. Jumping from those steep hills to the door is easy to mess up.

Lastly, I couldn't use this to get past any of the hard parts, but...
ceiling.png
Look where I am. Wee!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I found out how to get rid of most of the lag, and fix the ceiling problem right there. For some reason I can't make the Generator Block "solid to Mario" even though lunar magic says it is.

I think I might need to put in munchers to make it harder.
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

Sorry for the long delay on getting this version out. I went and changed up the last segment of the layer 2 smash and changed the second non layer 2 bit to something similar to the first one. Also changed a few things in the second layer 2 segment but honestly I can't really bring myself to get rid of any of those segments just yet.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Pheonix wrote:Sorry for the long delay on getting this version out. I went and changed up the last segment of the layer 2 smash and changed the second non layer 2 bit to something similar to the first one. Also changed a few things in the second layer 2 segment but honestly I can't really bring myself to get rid of any of those segments just yet.
The clouds do not fit at all, but you can change tile 31A8 to act like clouds and use them instead or use a different tile completely.
Level0F8ver5.jpg
I like the you used more enemies but sparkies could be used in conjucture with layer 2 obstacles(see purple arrows). Also I think the large land masses could be floating structures(see green line) to utilize sparkies or even make the player go into a Z path.

EDIT: I found a place that I thought might be impossible as big Demo. Please make sure it's possible as big demo.

_______________________________________________ ___________
My Level: http://www.mediafire.com/?4md01z77myx7z2c

There is one thing that bothers my still that the block I used for the generator should be a "solid to mario" block. Setting block properties to act like 400 or 6C isn't working.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

No you stupid shit wrote:My Level: http://www.mediafire.com/?4md01z77myx7z2c

There is one thing that bothers my still that the block I used for the generator should be a "solid to mario" block. Setting block properties to act like 400 or 6C isn't working.
Ran into four problems:
Screen 01/02: This one is a minor one- the sliding shelless blue koopa slid into the muncher/grinder.
Screen 05/06: There's a spot in the level that can be used to farm for lives.
Screen 0A: I jumped over the ceiling by using the Super Koopa generator.
Screen 07: On my second try, I jumped into this formation by accident.

Lastly, I think that your level could use an increase in difficulty compared to the other Switch Palace levels.
EDIT: Also, I think it'd be best to leave the generator as passable to Mario; it's a bit of a cramped space in that area.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:
No you stupid shit wrote:My Level: http://www.mediafire.com/?4md01z77myx7z2c

Ran into four problems:
Screen 01/02: This one is a minor one- the sliding shelless blue koopa slid into the muncher/grinder.
Screen 05/06: There's a spot in the level that can be used to farm for lives.
Screen 0A: I jumped over the ceiling by using the Super Koopa generator.
Screen 07: On my second try, I jumped into this formation by accident.

Lastly, I think that your level could use an increase in difficulty compared to the other Switch Palace levels.
EDIT: Also, I think it'd be best to leave the generator as passable to Mario; it's a bit of a cramped space in that area.
The first two are easy fixes, and the third's one ceiling is mostly aesthetic. The Forth one require redesigning that whole part of the level. I'll increase the difficulty also.