Terry's:
+ one more OW level slot to use otherwise
+ we can assign a specific switch color to a specific world
+ a better way to implement shorter levels
+ simple to do
- not very special

raocow's:
+ you can choose which switch to press first
+ No problem with switch blocks in certain levels (e.g. levels with green switch blocks can be assigned to any world altogether with levels that have blue switch blocks)
+ pretty nifty and special
+ we can have proper "switch palace atmosphere" in the switch paths
- one OW level slot less to use otherwise

Oh boy...
kilon

Re: Switch Palaces.

Post by kilon »

With raocow's idea you can't just re-enter the level and press all 4 switches in one go?
In that case I see no problem there. You can still make every path to a switch have his own level idea.
Like a collaboration kinda thing even.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Yeah you can have this collab thing in both solutions.
And I guess you can make the OW dots non-reenterable (does that word exist?), so if you have four of them OW dots all getting you to the same level basically, one at the very end of each OW path, you would still have to complete all worlds to press all switches.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Wouldn't making the level tile non-reenterable make sure that you can't enter the three other instances of the level as well, given how level tiles with the same level number share settings?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Well I never made a level have multiple entrance tiles, so I thought every level tile can have its own settings.
So I guess we would need something more complicated to make it like that?
Or did I again misunderstand raocows idea completely?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Wouldn't making the level tile non-reenterable make sure that you can't enter the three other instances of the level as well, given how level tiles with the same level number share settings?
Oh, wait, is that how it works? If you beat a level, it affects ALL the related tiles?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

"Another" solution is to have the switch palace level just have a room with four pipes. You choose a pipe (it will probably be the same color as the switch it activates), and after you've activated the switch that pipe can't be entered again (custom blocks that check for the switch on/off ram?). This would allow interesting concepts for both the main switch pipe room, and every different room.

I might just create a concept level to show what I mean...

[EDIT] I've found a problem with my concept, but I think I can also find a solution.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Isn't that just the thing we are discussing about?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

But if you have 4 overworld levels, like the switch palace, won't the re-enterable ones only be the one you are on or will it connect to all the other ones?
And also, the problem with Daxters idea is you can just go in the level again.
If it's really necessary we can have the switch palaces after the castle but in the level but to me it just seems so awkward because you beat a boss and it just sends you to a p switch area. Also, that way you can't pick your p switch and if we find a way where you can pick it there's no point not to make it its own level.

If we do make the p switch a choice, at the end of the game we should count up the switch blocks to see which ones are more useful and make their levels the hardest.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

@limepie20: Yes, the problem is that you can just re-enter the level, but I think I have a solution to that. Lemme just see if I can get a concept ips up showing you what I'm talking about.

[EDIT] Nope, I do not have a proper solution to that problem, yet. I'm also trying to figure out what RAM address that says what screen Mario's currently on...
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but what if the switch palaces were part of the castles themselves, rather than being independent levels? I assume we would be using the multi-midpoint patch, so that wouldn't be an issue. We would still have to restrict it to one color per castle, but this way we could at least save level spots on the OW.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I suppose there would be a compromise in how beating the last castle of each branch would lead directly to 'the switch palace dimension', where the player can choose his switch there. The problem being once again that we need to find a way to keep players from just playing the same level four times.

I guess the crux of the problem is my idea of 'let people choose which switch they press', huh.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

That ain't too troublesome really. I'm currently working on a few pipe tiles that acts like cement blocks when the corespondent switch has been pressed. I'm currently trying to make it a little more interesting by making the pipe use only 2 blocks, instead of 8 blocks, using RAM which says what screen Mario's currently on, but I can't find that piece of RAM.

Another possible solution is to use 3 blocks instead of 8 blocks actually...
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well ruirize just gave up his level so I reserved it for the switch palace just in case. If we decide not to have it be it's own level I'll give it to someone.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

I fixed the blocks I was talking about and has continued on the next step to show you a concept.

Also, I believe that we should create our own switch block object/objects. So we could either have a small switch or a big switch. (4x4 would be hilarious IMO)
raocow

Post by raocow »

I suggest a nesting chicken
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Bok Bok Bok! here comes the blocks!

Actually I was thinking it should be like a big button not like a p switch.
edit - like this
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

VG had this idea that the switch would be on Layer 2, and when you jump on it, it starts scrolling down. Then it would explode, set the switch, and end the level.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

DaxterSpeed wrote:VG had this idea that the switch would be on Layer 2, and when you jump on it, it starts scrolling down. Then it would explode, set the switch, and end the level.
I'd need a visual example.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Chickens do not make blocks. That is a law of physics.

Also, I'll see what I can do about the Layer 2 thing.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I know how to make the layer 2 thing work. Just make the two top blocks act like cement blocks and be on layer two and make the two below it act like the switch.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

let it be an easy button
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Would something like this be cool?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmE08hiWxI8
Its buggy right now.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

Only issue right now is you'll have to get a custom switch palace anyway because that's 4 messagebox messages to worry about. Not to mention I don't know how the events will work.

But it'd be helpful to save the level slots.

EDIT: Apparently the above are nonconcerns.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

limepie20: Something like that would be very cool.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!