(shouting)

Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
flameofdoubt

Re: Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Post by flameofdoubt »

Do you need someone to take a normal/high-res/art image and turn it into a pixel-art style image with a small palette, so that it can be used in lunar magic, or do you have a pixelated image with a small palette that needs to be turned into an exgfx so it can be used as a background?

One is making a new pixelised image based on the original (could be tricky), the other is just meticulously remaking the image pixel for pixel in yy-chr (annoying but easy).
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the latter, hopefully. I'd post the image here but ab is really concerned with keeping said background a secret to the most amount of people as possible.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I've done the latter before; there's a slightly quicker method where you can copy paste, it just wrongly reassigns all the colours, so the busywork becomes fixing the palette, not making the image. Because this is a big image it might be a lot quicker to do that though, it's just working out how they've been wrongly assigned (worst thing is where two colours are reassigned to the same wrong colour, then it does require some fixing). I'd be happy to give this a go though.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

oh man, yychr is so annoying with that, but it helps a bit when you put the correct palette with exact same RGB in the level already and load that into yychr with a savestate, then it gets some colors right when pasting.
It's just awful when it assigns the same color value to two different shades of a color, then you really have to redraw parts :roll:
(am I glad I'm through with that for my level)
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Help! I don't have my beefsteak! WHY CAN'T I JUST KEEP TRACK OF MY STUFF!!

...anyway, I do have that picture of it, but I don't see why I just can't have the yychr compatible version. You see, I can't just put it in there, because aaaaaaaaaah (I've gone insane).

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Question: has anyone inserted the original, non-modified versions of the sprite graphics as ExGFX? The a2mt style enemies don't work with my level at all.
hopefully someone else dealt with this as well. If not I guess I can just add another ExGFX file to the billion that I am using...
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I don't think there is anyone who has done this and will actually read this and post here.
But there are so many ExGFX files available, no problem in reserving another one.

I think someone said something about not using the vanilla Chuck graphics and Yoshi related graphics, so just take care of that.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Do we have any special layer 3s planned? I have a layer 2 section that could use a starry Layer 3 thing going on.
anonymousbl00dlust

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Do we have any special layer 3s planned? I have a layer 2 section that could use a starry Layer 3 thing going on.
I'm pretty sure all you have to do is save a .stim and some layer 3 ExGFX for your level if you want to do that.

Speaking of which, I just made this muncher graphic thing:

I'd like to insert him as layer 3 but I can't think of a way to convert the image in a way that will work, be of reasonable size, and still look good. Any suggestions?
anonymousbl00dlust

I'm having trouble getting layer 3 to insert into my level. Here what I did:

I inserted a 2bpp, 2kb gameboy ExGFX file into the rom, and I set that file to be the one loaded into my level through layer3.asm. I then loaded up the level, made a savestate, and opened the savestate in racing stripe.

For some reason, the layer3exgfx is not appearing in the tile viewer. What could be going wrong?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Does anyone have/know of/can make a wind animation graphic?

Elaboration:
16x16 vertical, blowing upwards. Just some lines curving in a traditional, wind-like fashion.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Argumentable supplied me with some fine wind so this request is now obsolete. Thanks, Argu!
anonymousbl00dlust

can someone help provide me with some good 4-color graphics of flooding water? I have an area of level where I'm going to have the player walk forward, only to be chased back by a large layer 3 "wave". I can modify the layer 3 background to be any shape, as long as the edge of the graphic forms somewhat of a slanted-vertical line (for hit detection purposes).

An example of what I'm going for. This turned out horribly but it gets the idea across:

Paralars

Post by Paralars »

sorry, I've seen this and thought that I might make that for you in some days, now I completely forgot to get back on that.
Well, if you still need it I can probably come up with something (if you can wait a few days).

So, 4 shades of blue and 96x176?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Here is something
tide.png
I've just finished it, so I can't tell if it's any good yet.
Turns out it's hard to convey a look of flowing water in a static image, you didn't say anything about animation frames, so I assume it's just a moving image.
anonymousbl00dlust

Paralars wrote:Here is something
tide.png
I've just finished it, so I can't tell if it's any good yet.
Turns out it's hard to convey a look of flowing water in a static image, you didn't say anything about animation frames, so I assume it's just a moving image.
are you kidding me?! That's freaking amazing! thank you!!!

EDIT: I just realized... that doesn't tile does it?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Paralars wrote:So, 4 shades of blue
For layer 3, that'd be three colours + transparency, actually.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I'm making progress with the Garish boss, but it would be nice if the megaspikes GFX can be replaced with something more fitting. Since Garish is based on Goo/Slime can anyone think of something that would make the spikes look more like that?

If it's too much work to make a complete megaspike set (although it's roughly only 6 tiles for all the parts XD), I can do some pixel editing myself, but some draft concepts would be very welcome.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Couldn't we just make it look like the spikes had been... hmm...
slime-ified? Like... goo them? Ha ha, that sounds horrible, but you guys get my point, yah?
I'd try to make it, but I'm still working on tile sets for the credits thing~
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I've been trying to get an abstract look for my switch half-level. Messing around I manage to get something cool but ugly. I would like ideas on how to make it look nice.
lookslikewhat.png
lookslikewhat.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
It's going to be a layer 2 level with both layers looking like that. I'm currently use pipe cores and it seems to allow only 3 of the four colors on layer 2, oddly. The Pipe things are ugly but the pattern has potential.
Cup

Post by Cup »

It looks kind of like Demo shrunk. Which could be pretty neat to play around with as an abstract or surreal concept.

You could asm demo big when she enters the level and then use a block that looks like a magical book or something that hurts and teleports demo to this "micro realm" to get across that she shrunk. A couple sprite gfx swaps for things that look like microorganisms and you have yourself a very surreal switch palace.

If you don't go with that, I might suggest downsizing those blocks to a more usual 16x16, but you really don't need to. I don't know why you say they look ugly. Looks cool enough to me.
Goomba98

Post by Goomba98 »

I like abstract stuff, so I'd like to suggest a smooth skin-colored ball with a Demo-style eye as the football.
No signature ideas right now.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Okay, so... Now that I have some spare time again, I want to get back to working on my interpretation of the intro level based on raocow's and Servant's ideas and all that jazz. Try as I might though, I just can't make environment tiles that I'm satisfied with (environments/backgrounds have never been my strong suit when it comes to The Art). Are there any tile artists out there that can save the day for me? (Image and possible story spoilers below)
Level0C5.png
The general visual theme here is intended to be 'spaceship/space jail' or the like. The layout isn't set in stone and the existing stuff is more placeholder (graphics obviously). Here's a list of the different tiles I would need:
1- wall/ceiling/floor (a single tile could be rotated and used for all)
2- outer corner
3- inner corner
4- inside of the wall (there could be some kind of detail, though this could easily be just a solid color and not require an original graphic)
5- background wall of some sort
6- large windows (given the rest, I actually could easily make this myself so it's a non-issue)
7- some kind of rubble to climb on?
8- going to make this be an offscreen tunnel or air duct above the screen instead of platforms, so I'd like some kind of broken hatch or air vent for the player to jump up through
9- some kind of object that will hide the escape tunnel (a flowerpot was suggested and could be used, but it's open to interpretation. It might be better to be blatantly obvious for the sake of audacity?)
So, yes. Is there anyone good with this sort of thing? And I hope I'm not asking for too much here.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Goomba98

Re: A2MT GFX Thread

Post by Goomba98 »

chdata wrote:Heh, that is a funny idea. And it is possible, but it'd take more tiles and have to be a custom sprite. (Both of your ideas are possible. Infact almost anything someone suggests is possible.)
It's possible with a hex edit.
No signature ideas right now.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Alex wrote:That plottext is waaaay too blunt.

Can't help you with the tiles; sorry.
I just put in what Servant wrote down, so if he's willing/wants to change it then it could be changed easy.

You're roughly the last person I'd expect to be able to make some graphics for me, since I believe you have your hands full already with the danmaku boss (and possibly other things?) to begin with! So ah, don't worry about it.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.