(shouting)

Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Post by raocow »

I don't know how to make backgrounds for smw, but you should find a way to use this:
Sans-titre-10clean.gif
and to play up the 'artist' aspect right from the start, without being blatant, the tileset should be in this sort of style
Sans-titre-10paths.gif
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I'm assuming that's a suggestion for me, in which case that is very possibly brilliantiation.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

considering alex self-banned and we probably wont have bosses anymore we should do all the encounters this way, it's an easy way to slip the siblings in at the end of a pre-existing level.
Cup

Post by Cup »

I actually really like the idea of simply "boss sublevels" done in that kind of artistic style! The sibling's presence is not only there, but overwhelming with raocow's character art in the background.

Everything else is the same, but instead of the boss door taking you to the boss, it takes you to a quick text box worth of dialog with a sibling (cutscene if you must, but text box should be plenty!) and then when the player closes the text box it warps you to a sublevel that looks similar to the one raocow drew, only character specific. The nature of the obstacles would also be themed for each sibling. So all 8 would be a different and personal experience.

Gameplay wise, I actually think it would be a lot more interesting than a boss fight, and much much more low tech. The music, atmospheric, and art is plenty to make it feel like a boss.

A suggestion that might be less popular, but something I'd like to suggest anyway is to cut the number of siblings in half. Our other bosses (painter, ninja, tank etc) can each man an inner circle world and the siblings will offer a unique and probably brutal platforming challenge at the end of outer ring. I suggest this because 4 is a much fresher number than 8 for this sort of thing, but if people feel that all 8 of the siblings are unique enough for dramatically different challenges, there's no reason we couldn't do 8.

I certainly wouldn't mind doing one or two of these "raocow art boss sublevels" if need be. Regardless, if raocow's open to doing art like that for each sibling, I think we're sitting on something very very cool, no matter how we use it.
raocow

Post by raocow »

the problem with your suggestion is I think all the 'levels with a boss already' are outer rings already, haha. I think it's good to have all eight for consistancy, to have a clear 'world break' that the game doesn't necessarily have, since not all worlds end with an actual castle.

So you would volonteer to make a few if I made more backgrounds, Cup? I could do them tomorrow on my day off.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I really like this idea as well and agree that it is much fresher and as effective as a boss fight.
I'm not gonna say right away that I'll make one, but I'll be here to do so if not all are claimed or if I suddenly get inspiration.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Alex...... what why?? That's kind of a pickle.

Well, this is a neat idea at the very least. What are you thinking, though? Possibly static-background autoscrolling, or static-background normal platforming? If outer-ring bosses are already in place, perhaps the inner rings could be these sibling challenges, and the outer rings could just have the sibling appearances preface the bosses? (I'm just kind of flailing about here since I don't know everything about this game, so don't mind me if these things are obvious)

Just for the record, I just finished putting my resources in last night, and I think it looks pretty spiffy!!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Cup

Post by Cup »

raocow wrote: So you would volonteer to make a few if I made more backgrounds, Cup? I could do them tomorrow on my day off.
Sounds fun!
raocow

Post by raocow »

I think a lot of these aren't actually usable as backgrounds unless the forgrounds are litteraly one colour and at a high contrast.
science.png
science.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 7651 times
The attachment pily.png is no longer available
The attachment pandamona.png is no longer available
The attachment nevada.png is no longer available
The attachment mishi.png is no longer available
The attachment iris.png is no longer available
The attachment garish.png is no longer available
The attachment calleoca.png is no longer available
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I could see them working well for like, one-off pre-boss rooms (or even cutscene portraits). During actual gameplay though, I think they'd distract the player way too much and hinder the flow of things.
Cup

Post by Cup »

I'll try to do something with Mishi
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

If you'd want to use them as backgrounds for actual gameplay, they could have a more subdued palette during the actual 'gameplay' bits and stay as-is for cutscenes/pre-boss whatevers? Or just have them exclusive to the pre-boss things, yeah.

They look amazing by the way, though perhaps that's just to be expected by this point.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I suppose they could be greyscaled and pushed back in the corner.

If we ever get a tileset going for this and someone teaches me how to use a tileset like that and the background, or if its already set up or whatever, I think I want to do Pily or something.
Cup

Post by Cup »

For large backgrounds and the like, I normally use edit1754's online bg ripper http://edit1754.tk/bgripper.php

It's pretty easy to use and gets the job done. mishi.png was actually 8 pixels short to line up with tiles nicely however! So you might need to add a few. The cutoff it caused is mostly hidden with HDMA, but it might be more obvious on Pily.

I'm still making resources, but I should have something up in testing tomorrow or monday. She makes objects float!
Cause you know. She's psychic and stuff. Foreground is filler.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Cup wrote:
Aside from the train, this is the first thing I've seen in A2MT that has "wow"'ed me. I really, really hope you do more with that.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh man, the HDMA fits perfectly. Good call.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

That looks spectacular, too good to pass up.
raocow

Post by raocow »

So let's say I want to volonteer to change the cape graphic to something different, but for it to work the cape would need to be 'lower' - is that something that I could do strictly from the art or is the way the tiles programs would there be some coding necessary? Basically I want to try to give her a racoon tail (while keeping smw-style flying going on). I'd assume all necessary tasks in terms of art, I just don't want the task to be unreasonable if someone has to do some coding for this to work :|
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

It should be possible without using any asm to change the tiling.
raocow

Post by raocow »

my concern is when you fall down and you got mario's cape floating up right behind his head. I guess that's the one 'concern' though!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh that is actually a reasonable concern because you may be right about that. I guess just check GFX32 (or 33?) and find that tile to see. There is probably a way to fix that though. You can ask Diortem to change it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Hey, so how exactly would you get the flying animation to look correct? Demo grabs the cape like a parachute when flying but it would be a lot different with a tail. I've been told it's hard to get the animation looking smooth when it's changed.
I just want to be sure you know what you are doing if you plan to try this.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I have an idea! I wouldn't have proposed it if I didn't have an idea.

I'll do it when I have a bit more time though.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

limepie20 wrote:Hey, so how exactly would you get the flying animation to look correct? Demo grabs the cape like a parachute when flying but it would be a lot different with a tail. I've been told it's hard to get the animation looking smooth when it's changed.
I just want to be sure you know what you are doing if you plan to try this.
To be fair, the vanilla version doesn't exactly look correct either. The way that it suddenly is connected to Mario's ankles so he can hold it like a parachute, I mean.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Since calleoca's deal is supposed to be a mimicking shapeshifter, her 'boss level' should be composed of smwcp2 girders and enemy graphics.