(shouting)

Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Post by Paralars »

the first one looks more alive, in motion, and more sparkly.

the second one looks more evil-mysterious-dark-static-y (reminds me of minecraft's End dimension somehow)

I'd say it depends on context
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Alright, I guess I'll use the first one then. I think that one works better in context as well, because the area inside the portal has a blue-grey palette. The black would probably clash too much.

By the way, is there a globally used "solid for sprites only" tile in a2mt? I mean, is there a 16x16 graphic designated specifically for that type of custom block across multiple levels? If so I'd like to use it.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

The eye-block in ExGFXF9 is used for Sprite-only and Demo-only tiles. The solid-for-Demo block is usually colored, the solid-for-sprites block is transparent.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Well, I see things are going well. well

Would there be a way you could like, make it animate faster or something? So it could kinda look like it's... "burning", for lack of a better term? If you understand what I'm saying? I think it might look a bit nicer.

Good job, though. Really.
anonymousbl00dlust

Frozelar wrote:Well, I see things are going well. well

Would there be a way you could like, make it animate faster or something? So it could kinda look like it's... "burning", for lack of a better term? If you understand what I'm saying? I think it might look a bit nicer.

Good job, though. Really.
The sprite animates faster than that. I agree that it could look a lot nicer. The look I wanted was more like the aurora of the sun, with the little tendrils waving stretching out and dying, then being replaced by new ones.

I happily invite anyone who wants to have a go at doing a better animation to try. I'm doing the best I can. I'm only one person, and the content that I've created for final level fills over 2 banks now (although a good portion of it is not going to be used). So if you think you can contribute be my guest!
anonymousbl00dlust

update type thing:

I finished the sprite programming and all the graphics for the portal thing. I still don't have graphics for the giant laser that shoots into the air (calling the wormhole down). I haven't really made anything graphics-wise like that before. If I could get some help or even advise on how do do that I'd appreciate it a lot.

Here's some screens so you get the general idea:

SPOILERS. raocow DO NOT LOOK AT THIS.
laser thing opening. The color is actually a solid color, and not a layer getting revealed by a mask. The laser sprite is 32px wide and 128+ px tall. It cycles between 4 frames when the laser is opening/closing, and cycles between a different 4 frames when the laser is at full size.
laser1.png
laser roughly at full size. Ignore the weird offset at the top. It looks strange in a single image, but it's actually part of its animation. the whole laser vibrates left and right in a sinusoid pattern.
laser2.png
Once the laser dies out the portal starts to descend. Note here that that pink area is actually just the placeholder background for layer 2. Eventually I will put the real background (the place being teleported to) there. The sprite is slightly offset, which I am currently trying to fix.
portal1.png
portal2.png
once the portal actually hits the alter thing, the screen flashes a few times and the new area is revealed.
openportal.png
also, here's the background that will be used
munchersea.png
(thus concludes all the screens I will ever, EVER show of this level before it is released)
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:update type thing:

I finished the sprite programming and all the graphics for the portal thing. I still don't have graphics for the giant laser that shoots into the air (calling the wormhole down). I haven't really made anything graphics-wise like that before. If I could get some help or even advise on how do do that I'd appreciate it a lot.

Here's some screens so you get the general idea:

SPOILERS. raocow DO NOT LOOK AT THIS.
laser thing opening. The color is actually a solid color, and not a layer getting revealed by a mask. The laser sprite is 32px wide and 128+ px tall. It cycles between 4 frames when the laser is opening/closing, and cycles between a different 4 frames when the laser is at full size.
laser1.png
laser roughly at full size. Ignore the weird offset at the top. It looks strange in a single image, but it's actually part of its animation. the whole laser vibrates left and right in a sinusoid pattern.
laser2.png
Once the laser dies out the portal starts to descend. Note here that that pink area is actually just the placeholder background for layer 2. Eventually I will put the real background (the place being teleported to) there. The sprite is slightly offset, which I am currently trying to fix.
portal1.png
portal2.png
once the portal actually hits the alter thing, the screen flashes a few times and the new area is revealed.
openportal.png
also, here's the background that will be used
munchersea.png
(thus concludes all the screens I will ever, EVER show of this level before it is released)
This is so awesome. I can't wait to see it in action.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

that one background image looks amazing. Did you make that?

As for the laser, no need to have anything complicated, Just a straight glowy beam of 3 colours would probably look good, maybe a few rings around it.
Especially considering you only see it for some seconds.
anonymousbl00dlust

Paralars wrote:that one background image looks amazing. Did you make that?
I wish I could say I made the whole thing haha. The artwork for the ocean was ripped by myself from ecco 2 for the sega genesis. I reworked the colors (it was originally daytime lighting) added in the fog and put in the munchers. I also got help from raocow when he was still co-authoring the level with me (like 3 years ago :P)

I did some other backgrounds for the level which I hope are equally impressive.
Paralars wrote:As for the laser, no need to have anything complicated, Just a straight glowy beam of 3 colours would probably look good, maybe a few rings around it.
Especially considering you only see it for some seconds
I kind of feel like it needs the detail though, since everything else is ultra-realistic. I gave the sprite 8 frames of animation, so I feel like it needs to be really impressive-looking just to be on par with everything else.

I agree that a center beam would probably be good, but there should also be sparks flying outward. I also intentionally left a gap between the windowing part and the ground so that I could add some sort of impact cloud/spark. something like this on either side
dbz effect sprite.png
I have unreasonable standards.
Last edited by anonymousbl00dlust 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Wow dude, you are doing a great job.

Also hey I recognized that background from that game, yay me
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

That looks pretty much amazing.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
anonymousbl00dlust

Sorry to have been away so long. I wish I could say I made a bunch of progress, but right after my last post school started back up. Some advice: do not take 3 upper-division math courses at the same time.

Anyhow, schedule is somehow freeing up for the moment. I ripped a laser background and I'm gonna try to spend some of this weekend getting the sprites graphics routine to correspond to the artwork.
lasermain.png
I want to give it a decent animation so that the graphics of the main 'pillar' flow downwards. If someone wants to help with that I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep trying on my own.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I do. And it'll be a while before this level is holding us up.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

From what I've seen, I really like this level. I know I need to play it first, but I like the concept.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh okay well yeah.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

it's not gonna delay anything when it's in another ROM.
If it's done as soon as everything else is done, it can be published together, and if not, just make it the disappointingly short one-month-after first DLC add-on to the game that's common practice nowadays.