(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
flameofdoubt

Re: Level Clearing - Big Fat New Rule

Post by flameofdoubt »

TwoHeadedYoshi: I already inserted the level you posted in the submissions thread! Can you PM me a list of what needs changing?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: There's cutoff on one of the ground tiles in the bottom left wall as soon as you enter the second area (the place where I think the tiles are from sonic?). Also it's very easy to collect the blue coins and then forget they were there, I would suggest maybe changing the messagebox to mention to "look out for blue" or something like that. That or have there be something in the shape of a 'P' wherever you need to use the p-switches.
The place where you have to use the second P-switch is a pit, so it's a little unfair to ask people just to go down, perhaps put an arrow pointing right underneath the 'down' arrow, which the player will only see once they've jumped in the hole.
In the areas where you have different tofublock colours you may want to change the tile for when a tofublock is 'jumped on', which is in a different GFX/ExGFX file, so that it matches. Currently the outline changes or it goes from brown to white.
In the final area with the goal, there is cutoff with the pipe.
Fix those things and I'll be happy to clear it.

Luigisopa: The first 'extra' area, where you have two lava frogs and a dragon coin, when you leave via the right pipe, the screen entrance settings are set wrong, so the screen has to move to centre on the player when the next room loads. Again, I urge you to take out all the light switch blocks and use ExGFX to remove the discolight that's visible even with the lights off. It's your call and if you like it that way just say so and I'll stop, but I do think the atmosphere needs for the level to be always in darkness. Other than that I'd suggest seeing if you can try and make all the bright things in the level dark too, like the lava frog's head and the goopa's wings, and Demo, but I think the small, bright lights in the dark add something to it, what do you think? If all these issues are resolved I should be able to clear the level for submission.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: There's cutoff on one of the ground tiles in the bottom left wall as soon as you enter the second area (the place where I think the tiles are from sonic?). Also it's very easy to collect the blue coins and then forget they were there, I would suggest maybe changing the messagebox to mention to "look out for blue" or something like that. That or have there be something in the shape of a 'P' wherever you need to use the p-switches.
The place where you have to use the second P-switch is a pit, so it's a little unfair to ask people just to go down, perhaps put an arrow pointing right underneath the 'down' arrow, which the player will only see once they've jumped in the hole.
In the areas where you have different tofublock colours you may want to change the tile for when a tofublock is 'jumped on', which is in a different GFX/ExGFX file, so that it matches. Currently the outline changes or it goes from brown to white.
In the final area with the goal, there is cutoff with the pipe.
Fix those things and I'll be happy to clear it.
I'll fix the second message box. It'll now say "HEY THERE GUY - You need these switches to find two parrot coins. Look for purple." I was also going to say "make two trips" but there isn't enough room in the message box.
You don't need to juggle the p switch on the vines to bring it back. jump back across using the paragoopa.
Which GFX file contains the the note block and how do I change the palette to match the one of the "jumped on" frame?
Either that or I'll replace them with solid blocks (one block long note platforms are kinda hard for world 1) and a couple of them having beardfuzzs on them
The cutoff will be fixed and in the pit, I'll put coins along the bottom so that they will turn into blocks when the switch is pressed, to prevent a cheap death because of the arrow, or maybe a little block staircase that appears in the pit when you press the switch.
Last edited by Karatekid5 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi Ambassador!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: The tofublock frames are in several different places, notably GFX01 and GFX13. Your level probably uses both, so you might need to change both. To change the graphics I would suggest using yy-chr to change what colours the block uses, but if you need to change the palette my expertise kinda runs out, and I'd suggest asking in the sprite/object/asm help threads. It's not strictly what they're for but there's not really anywhere to ask this specific question. The rest of the fixes sound good.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Newest IPS. All of the problems fixed!
Those large leaf plants in the second area were the things in palette conflict with the tofublocks. They kept their normal colors on palette 2 even though they started on palette 4, so I chaged them to palette 2 and fixed the palette for the tofublocks.
Attachments
11D - Starlight Resort Final.zip
(459.1 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Yoshi Ambassador!
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Alright, hey guys again! I have been away due to lot of study now in the end. I had a few things to fix in my level before I could upload it again. I have fixed them all, sort off.

[Level 114 - Skythorn Valley] - Done!
flameofdoubt wrote:The tetris room music really fits, and I like the tetris room, but it's pretty much out of nowhere, and doesn't really match the rest of the level. I'm not sure how I'd suggest you fix this, but there needs to be some reason for a sudden tetris room. Also to make the tetris room better, maybe put the tetris "HUD" along the right hand side of the screen, with score and "next" and so on.
Sorry Flame, but I just can't make the text effect for the Tetris room to work. I tried but failed.
I am really horrible at those stuff. I hope that is ok if I just leave it as it is.

What do we do about the chest? I have fixed a place for it to be (It takes over the coin spot)

Attachments
Senjan - 114.ips
(489.51 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: At the very beginning the donut bridge handrail creates cutoff. Maybe extend the rail or have a special tile that is a railing end? Also I'd suggest you try changing "ship" in the messagebox to "station", since the game is set on a space station. Maybe change the P-switch messagebox to say "Look for something purple!" rather than "Look for purple!", but it's your call. If it doesn't fit then ship will do fine though. There's still cutoff on the far left grass tile in the very beginning of the second area, but no cutoff on the last tile at the end of the second area. Simply flipping the one from the end horizontally should give you what you want (I think?). The chocolate coloured tofu blocks (which I like a lot) still flash white when you bounce on them. Is it possible to make them chocolate even when you bounce on them?

Senjan: The bushes have brown in them because of the palette. Where exactly is the sky music from in the second area? Since we don't have a muncher replacement yet, and we're not sure what it'll end up as, why not make yours into thorns that match the background, to further help the name of the level? The midpoint that you can't read in the first area has no midpoint bar, so it might be possible to tell it's "fake". The blocks at the very end that are "sprite only", they're meant to only be a template. What you're supposed to do is come up with your own appropriate graphic and make that tile act like the template. Anyway, point is that the way you have it at the moment makes them look like switch blocks, and you need to make it some kind of platform, preferably something flimsy, most people use ropes, so it's feasible that only the sprites can stand on them and not you. Fix these things and you should be good to go.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

flameofdoubt wrote:The blocks at the very end that are "sprite only", they're meant to only be a template. What you're supposed to do is come up with your own appropriate graphic and make that tile act like the template. Anyway, point is that the way you have it at the moment makes them look like switch blocks, and you need to make it some kind of platform, preferably something flimsy, most people use ropes, so it's feasible that only the sprites can stand on them and not you. Fix these things and you should be good to go.
I checked the tiles, and they act like "6A", but upon making my own 6A tiles in my page they didnt work the same way. Do I have to replace the outline block on page 4 to something else, or do I have to do something in BlockTool to make the block work properly in my own page (1E)?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

You make your block act like the number of the custom block, not the number the custom block acts like.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

How can I found out its number? Does anybody know the custom block number for the sprite-only interacting block?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

According to level 105 and the Map16 section of the wiki, it's Map16 tile number 401.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Thanks for the help! :) Alright, anyway.
flameofdoubt wrote:Where exactly is the sky music from in the second area? Since we don't have a muncher replacement yet, and we're not sure what it'll end up as, why not make yours into thorns that match the background, to further help the name of the level?
Well:
yoshicookiezeus wrote: According to my music list, the song is called "Suishou" and is one of Kil's original creations.
Download here if interested.

I am not too sure of what you mean about the muncher replacement, and what you exacly mean with the statement after that. What should I make into thorns? I tried to use twisted tiles (thorns, to me) on as many places as possible. Where is it missing some? Does the level overall not match with the background?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Thanks. You've done well to make the level thorny already, I just meant maybe you could use ExGFX to make the munchers look like thorns as well, because whatever ends up actually being munchers might not fit in your level. If we decide to make the munchers saws for instance, that might not make sense in your grassy, thorn-based level.

EDIT: Having listened to the music I know why I had a problem with it. In ASMT I'm pretty sure it was used as the background to a (possible multiple) water levels, so I associate it with water levels rather than sky. Since you and others think it fits sky though there's no reason to change it if you're ok with it.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

flameofdoubt wrote:EDIT: Having listened to the music I know why I had a problem with it. In ASMT I'm pretty sure it was used as the background to a (possible multiple) water levels, so I associate it with water levels rather than sky. Since you and others think it fits sky though there's no reason to change it if you're ok with it.
wait what

The only thing that song was used for in ASMT was Kil's Singing Mountain level.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

You're completely right, what is wrong with me.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Upon playing around a little, I accidently made a pointy tile glowing like the yoshi/raocow/parrot/whatever coin. That gave me an idea: Lightning Thorn.

Doesnt perhaps make too much sence, but maybe an idea? What do you think?

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

The glowing could work because it's a spaceship, but in a normal level it would look out of place. If you think it looks alright keep it in and I'll test the IPS.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Yeah I thought of that too, however the glowing effect might be more warning and make it look more deadly. Just one thing I noticed. The "lightning thorn" is just a half-a-block tall, but munchers full-sized. What I'm trying to say is that if I make the half-size thorn into a hurt block, the player will like stand a bit above the spike, like hovering because 12F counts as a full block no matter if the block is just a quarther- or half-sized. So I made it like this instead. I make the thorns act like tile 25, but I add two new grass-tiles to work as 12F, munchers, that I place above up-side-down glow-thorns and below normal-placed glow-thorns. That way it will look less funky perhaps. It will look like the thorn is like ripping into the player, but that may be perhaps better, don't you think?

Doing this however requires that I use another 2 tiles for Map16. I need to use 0x1E87 and 88 if that is okay. (Currently using 0x1E11 -> 86. If this is a reasonable (and acceptable idea) then I'll save it like this so I can send you the new IPS file.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Alrighty those tiles are yours.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Wonderful! Alright here comes the update:
Attachments
Senjan - 114.ips
(489.82 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Senjan: You need to check the extra dragon coin that you can see above you before you go in the pipe to the second 'main' area, it's got a bottom half below it's bottom half. The midpoint glitches up, when you collect it the part that is the left hand side still looks like it has goal tape on it. I like what you did for the sprite-only blocks. Short post because barely any problems!
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Oh geez, what an awkward thing to miss.

About the midway point, I don't think there is much I can do about it, because just like in the original game, a bit of the tape is left on the white pillar after going through it.

However. . . .

*Sollution 1*I could pain the midway point a bit black so it doesnt camoflauge that much, but in the end that might look weird as all the other midway points probably are not color-changed.

*Sollution 2*I could instead use tile 38 (The midway-stick only) so that no remains are still on the white pillar after going through it. However upon death or re-entering the sublevel in any way, the midway point will be back again.

Personally I think it's best to just leave it as it is, because if you die, the midway point is clean and empty after you touched it last time. But if you want me to do any of the sollutions above, just notify me.

If not, well then; I suppose the level is complete.
Attachments
Senjan - 114 (Fixed).ips
(489.82 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Senjan: Oh whoops it's meant to be like that because it's like that in the original, ignore what I said about that then. The only problem I have with your level is that once you go past those ropes at the end you can't return to collect the dragon coins if you went up the wrong side. If you're ok with this and the player having to go through it again (I doubt they'll mind too much since it's such a nice level), then consider it cleared and you can submit it. If you think it needs changing though then it will be cleared as soon as those changes are tested. It's not a huge deal so it's up to you.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: At the very beginning the donut bridge handrail creates cutoff. Maybe extend the rail or have a special tile that is a railing end? Also I'd suggest you try changing "ship" in the messagebox to "station", since the game is set on a space station. Maybe change the P-switch messagebox to say "Look for something purple!" rather than "Look for purple!", but it's your call. If it doesn't fit then ship will do fine though. There's still cutoff on the far left grass tile in the very beginning of the second area, but no cutoff on the last tile at the end of the second area. Simply flipping the one from the end horizontally should give you what you want (I think?). The chocolate coloured tofu blocks (which I like a lot) still flash white when you bounce on them. Is it possible to make them chocolate even when you bounce on them?
I'll probably just remove the handrail.
Also, I'll fix that cutoff, and I thought I removed all of the tofublocks from 11D but I'll take another look.
EDIT: Newest IPS.
Also, there wasn't enough room to write "station" instead of "ship".
Attachments
11D - Starlight Resort Final.zip
(459.16 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by Karatekid5 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi Ambassador!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

It'd be a shame if you removed the handrail, it's little touches like that and the large house at the end that I think really make a level, like if you had the odd parasol or beach lounger bed type thing to further add to the resort feel of the level.