(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Level Clearing

Post by limepie20 »

Alex:
I just played the level and it's cleared. There's a few minor bugs I have to fix, and then I'll submit it.

edit:
Everything is fixed. I just need levelasm code that will make it so that you start with the stone suit and dashoes on sublevel 62 (for the midpoint).
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Based on the suggestions, behold version 3!
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p099criart6l4p ... 3.ips?dl=1
go in the second door in the house level

@Limpie20
about that difficult jump

Is it okay if there are 3 different ways past that part? The podoboo is not the only way across. There are other things you can spin jump on. I think I made things more reasonable in this version.

No one responded to my previous post in the testing thread, so here is what I have.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Lv27:
Sorry for the long wait!
You know I kind of found it fun this time around just to spin jump on the enemies. The one part I'm confused about is the section with alternating blocks every space and the two floating sparkies (right before the 3 or 4 podoboos in a row). I couldn't figure out how to jump on the sparkies so I just did a running jump to the next platform.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

The one part I'm confused about is the section with alternating blocks every space and the two floating sparkies (right before the 3 or 4 podoboos in a row). I couldn't figure out how to jump on the sparkies so I just did a running jump to the next platform.
Those sparkies are only there to make it safer to do the run across single block length holes trick than it is to cautiously jump from platform to platform. If you want them removed or something that should be no problem. Am I cleared?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I kinda don't like that entire segment. It's just a bit awkward. Could you make it a uniform bridge and add some obstacles?
Yeah, you're cleared.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

I know I got cleared, but I edited it a little more anyway. I shortened the block/empty space bridge and added some more obstacles. If this is better I'll submit it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hpso4xkilbuzow ... 6cLAw&dl=1
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I like it. It's good to go.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

I guess I shouldn't keep this waiting any longer, since it's more or less been 'done' for a while, save for a few adjustments

If this isn't really the kind of thing you're looking for in a Sibling Hall, then I probably shouldn't keep this slot all to myself and delay things any further

Sublevel B5 (I stuck a door in Parrot's pad for testing purposes)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Kerkec:
I'm not sure I really like the gimmick too much. The graphics are great, and I thought that was awesome about the level. But you yourself know you just borrowed the gimmick from on/off level because it used the same graphics. The level isn't necessarily bad; it's just that the whole on/off switch idea has been done many time before (even right in this hack), and in this particle instance, I don't think there was anything new about it. Most of the level is throwing shells at the switches. Again, it wasn't badly made, but I've just played a level like this many times. I'd suggest trying to move away from the on/off switch gimmick. I can tell you took a lot of influence from noseman's level, and that's a good start. I think if you think of a new, fresh, cool idea, you can make something even you yourself will be impressed with. If you really like the on/off switches, you can certainly try making something else with them. But as you can probably tell, it comes with the caveat that you need to impliment them in a creative way. The whole shell thing won't bring something new to the table. If you look at some of the vip levels, they can have the gimmick of blue koopas hitting on/off switches. That's something different. Try coming up with something interesting like that. Or you can abandon the on/off switches entirely.
One thing I found interesting was those crane graphics, and how they appeared to be holding the on/off switches. If you can think of an idea involving that, that would be really cool as the environment would compliment the gameplay. You could have the cranes holding some other sort of blocks, or something else, I'm not sure. Whatever suits you would work best, as you are the one designing the level.
If I remember correctly, this level had no enemies. You may not necessarily need enemies under certain circumtances (like a good gameplay gimmick that compensates), but definitely try throwing enemies in there. It can really spice up the gameplay. And I'm not talking about a goomba on every other platform that you can easily dodge. Experiment with new combinations of enemies like, as a very simple example, a goomba on a platform and a flying koopa above it so you have more to worry about than just jumping over the goomba. On the topic of enemies, you can abandon the idea of a gameplay gimmick altogether if you want. Just fun gameplay dodging enemies, staying alive can be fun. Obviously, not every single level needs (or should have) a gimmick. Just do what suits you best. Do you understand what I'm trying to convey? If you think there's something I don't understand, tell me. Maybe I missed something in the level, and you can make that something more clear in a future version.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

I don't know where i had to put this so yeah. I changed a message in my level because i didn't like it after all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2j7nqjjyy3gluup
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

if you just changed the message why not just post the message and where it belongs?
tenta

Post by tenta »

Paralars wrote:if you just changed the message why not just post the message and where it belongs?
Well, i was not sure about what to do about this.

Unless i just do it your way right now.
The message go in box 113-1 ->
Tes cheveux sont
tres jolie
aujourd'hui. Tu
t'es lave avec du
shampooing cette
fois?
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

@tenta

Don't know if you're french or not, but it should be;
Tes cheveux sont
tres jolies
aujourd'hui. T'es-
tu
lave avec du
shampooing cette
fois?
Just trying to help. ;)
ImageImage
tenta

Post by tenta »

spitznagl wrote:@tenta

Don't know if you're french or not, but it should be;
Tes cheveux sont
tres jolies
aujourd'hui. T'es-
tu
lave avec du
shampooing cette
fois?
Just trying to help. ;)
Yes i am. French Canadian. But my spelling is not the best :/. I type better in english for some reasons.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

No it's
Tes cheveux sont
tres jolis
aujourd'hui. T'es-
tu lave avec du
shampooing cette
fois ?
Cheveux is masculine in french. No e.
In french, there is a space before the ? (but not in english, and not in canadian french, so it depend if you want your message to be in french french or french canadian).
Last edited by yogui 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Blaizer

Post by Blaizer »

Glad we're getting that one textbox right. Who's proofreading the entire rest of the game?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I guess I'll read through the messageboxes since I'm dealing with the overworld anyway
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

limepie20 wrote:
Kerkec:
I'm not sure I really like the gimmick too much. The graphics are great, and I thought that was awesome about the level. But you yourself know you just borrowed the gimmick from on/off level because it used the same graphics. The level isn't necessarily bad; it's just that the whole on/off switch idea has been done many time before (even right in this hack), and in this particle instance, I don't think there was anything new about it. Most of the level is throwing shells at the switches. Again, it wasn't badly made, but I've just played a level like this many times. I'd suggest trying to move away from the on/off switch gimmick. I can tell you took a lot of influence from noseman's level, and that's a good start. I think if you think of a new, fresh, cool idea, you can make something even you yourself will be impressed with. If you really like the on/off switches, you can certainly try making something else with them. But as you can probably tell, it comes with the caveat that you need to impliment them in a creative way. The whole shell thing won't bring something new to the table. If you look at some of the vip levels, they can have the gimmick of blue koopas hitting on/off switches. That's something different. Try coming up with something interesting like that. Or you can abandon the on/off switches entirely.
One thing I found interesting was those crane graphics, and how they appeared to be holding the on/off switches. If you can think of an idea involving that, that would be really cool as the environment would compliment the gameplay. You could have the cranes holding some other sort of blocks, or something else, I'm not sure. Whatever suits you would work best, as you are the one designing the level.
If I remember correctly, this level had no enemies. You may not necessarily need enemies under certain circumtances (like a good gameplay gimmick that compensates), but definitely try throwing enemies in there. It can really spice up the gameplay. And I'm not talking about a goomba on every other platform that you can easily dodge. Experiment with new combinations of enemies like, as a very simple example, a goomba on a platform and a flying koopa above it so you have more to worry about than just jumping over the goomba. On the topic of enemies, you can abandon the idea of a gameplay gimmick altogether if you want. Just fun gameplay dodging enemies, staying alive can be fun. Obviously, not every single level needs (or should have) a gimmick. Just do what suits you best. Do you understand what I'm trying to convey? If you think there's something I don't understand, tell me. Maybe I missed something in the level, and you can make that something more clear in a future version.
Oh yeah, I should probably respond to this in some way, huh.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I don't really have much to say back to it. As of right now, I basically scrapped everything but the graphics and started an entirely new level, trying to focus more on enemies than a 'gimmick', although I am kind of basing the whole thing around keeping up with one of those large floating platforms that moves right forever. If that's not a good idea, I'll just take that out too.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Kerkec wrote:If that's not a good idea, I'll just take that out too.
Oh no, it sounds fine. I like the idea, and I hope you can make something fun!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

just think about what happens if you lose track, like can you go back, do you kill yourself, does the level just get harder?