(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
noseman999

Re: Level Clearing~

Post by noseman999 »

I fixed the last room to make it easier but I didn't know if you needed to play it again.
DaxterSpeed wrote:noseman999: Your level is pretty fun, but also very hard at some points. Especially the last level. Where we're talking Kaizo hard pixel jumps. Try making this part easier to survive even if you fail a little. Also, I still don't like the GFX for this level, but you'll need a second opinion on that.

Shortly, good level. Almost submission worthy. You just need to fix that last bit.
Can I Submit my level?
Thanks
I don't know what is the religious property of a giant clump of dirt that is just sitting there?
- raocow
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

Yes, I played your latest .ips, and I believe that you can now submit your level. (If I weren't such a sucky player, I could probably beat your level without tools, but whatever.)

@LightSlei, your level is really good. Especially when it comes to how it handles sprites. I was able to 100% it and the only thing I can imagine you could do with it is fix the cutoff. Otherwise, it's submission worthy.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

DaxterSpeed wrote:Yes, I played your latest .ips, and I believe that you can now submit your level. (If I weren't such a sucky player, I could probably beat your level without tools, but whatever.)

@LightSlei, your level is really good. Especially when it comes to how it handles sprites. I was able to 100% it and the only thing I can imagine you could do with it is fix the cutoff. Otherwise, it's submission worthy.
Cutoff being the 1 pixel errors, correct/ Yeah, I'll fix those ^_^.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Few notes to note:
* HP counter in statusbar is only for testing purposes, before real HP counter will be made, chdata will probably make sprite HP counter
* level 0xFE is no longer used by this level, feel free to use it
* level is perfectly beatable without savestates, if you're good enough.
* that 1UP will be replaced by chest, it's 1UP now just to make you happy :lol:.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Back and stuff.
Are the mods still all busy? DS are you the only clearer on now? lol

In anycase, updated version below.
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Back and stuff.
Seems like I'm still the only clearer left, yes. I'll see if I can clear these levels today.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Thanks to DJSecret in the testing thread, for point out that one thing even though it's a non-issue (and saying he liked my level :>) .

So, uh, yeah, it's ready for clearing.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
ProfessorDemetri

DaxterSpeed wrote:
ProfessorDemetri wrote:Back and stuff.
Seems like I'm still the only clearer left, yes. I'll see if I can clear these levels today.
Wow. So they stuck ya with clearin' duty huh?
I wonder when they'll get back and start doin' it too. I know I've been waiting a long time, and some others too.
And I hear that the testing forum has come to a shrieking halt?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

(Not to undercut you DaxterSpeed, but I thought it was about time I started being helpful)

OK

era64: Looks really good, though a bit short. The Demo sprite looks like it could do with a bit more work, but it may be the best it can be for that resolution, what are your thoughts on this? Also at the top of the P-balloon shaft is a little unfair because you have to go one way to get the dragon coin and there's no indication, it's just a binary choice and if you get it wrong you have to do the level again. In the P-balloon shaft, the podobos don't spawn. Also also, the graphics don't really look like anything themselves. What I mean is, in megaman for instance, all the 8-bit graphics tended to look like somewhere, be it a cityscape, up in the clouds, a factory, or whatnot. In that respect your level, though looking really nice, looks like a megaman level, not like when a megaman level tries to look like something else. I'm not suggesting you change all your graphics, that's ridiculous, but have a think about where (in your mind) the level is meant to be set in the station (if you want to go about making it fit the overall game theme), or if it's in a videogame or a computer or whatnot, and maybe give some signs in the level, some small set-pieces to imply this.

Overall the aesthetic looks really good and gives a good 8-bit atmosphere, but it feels somehow lacking. Maybe it's the fact I know how lunar magic and ExGFX work but It seems like it's all just a skin, and underneath it's a pretty standard level. The shooting and always-big and health bar system stuff is neat, but it feels like sort of a missed opportunity. I'm not sure what exactly I'm expecting, but what would be ideal is something characteristic of the old 8-bit games, something in the level itself rather than how it looks, because at the moment if you took away all the really nicely done graphics and music, it would just be a level.

As a level it's fine and I'd be happy to clear it on the nice aesthetics, but if you're willing, I'd love to see something really cool like a robot master-esque boss fight against megaman or someone who fits in the plot scenario, with pretty simple AI, or just something in the level that really smacks of the 8-bit era (I'm focusing on megaman because that's what the graphics remind me of, you can go for any style you want). What I mean is that it's really nice to look at, and has some extra features, but I don't feel it really has the substance there to justify the 8-bit theme. Also (though this perhaps isn't such a strong criticism), it doesn't really have the nintendo hard style of the old games, another thing that would add that substance, but then you might not want it to be a hard level.

(I went back and wove in a few more things after playing the level several times, so hopefully the message is still coherent!)

ProfessorDemetri: The ice looks great but isn't too busy, this is a huge improvement and makes it a lot easier to enjoy everything else about the level. I love all the little things that have been edited to match the snow: The shells in particular look fantastic. At first I didn't get that the thought bubble was a messagebox because it looked like an ice platform. I'd suggest seeing if you can fit an exclamation mark on it (i realise it's very small so this might not work), maybe have one tile with someone leaning out of a window and then the bubble is coming from them, to make it more obvious. The first platform after the castle has some layer issues, as in it's in front of Demo when it should be behind. The vines are still a little bit ambiguous, but the bottoms of them are a good indication they're climbable, so that's ok. That said, there are two kinds of vines and they both use the same bottom, is it possible to give the paler vines a bottom that matches their colour? The differently coloured question marks are great. Would it be reasonable to change the first p-switch 'gate'? It's a minor point but it's always annoying turning on a p-switch then having to wait because you're not allowed to continue until its timer runs out. The sprouting vines have the head of the vine swaps, so it looks like a panda bear head is flying out of the block. There's some cutoff with some corners of platforms, like right after the first white-lava area, and some blocks in walls have a weird priority so that coins coming out of blocks go behind them. Is there any way to fix that the coin blocks flash yellow? I have a slight problem with the chuck replacements, since early on it said it was rowdy kids stealing their mail, why would the mailmen be attacking you? Also their projectile needs to be changed as it's still a baby yoshi in a helmet. The parcel sprite looks great by the way. As does the mailmen. It's possible to drop the parcel into diamond-shaped bits of land, but I don't know if that's fixable. There's a large bit of green land after the two mailmen, and Demo falls through the corner. The berry background colour isn't the same as the bushes its on. During the autoscroll section, if you jump on the first mailman you can get into the roof.

In short, the level needs an lot of minor tedious work, but I can guarantee that this will be in the final product, once all the corner, layer, and roof-entering issues are fixed, plus those mailmen who kick yoshis at you. Right now you have a really good level, you just need to make sure it's not breakable. I can't clear it yet, but it will eventually by cleared.

Kristian: Very vanilla, so it'll have to stand up on being a good level. You reuse some of the thwomp challenges (especially the one-left-one-down, like 4 times, and this is a pretty short level). The background is a little boring. It's good that it's not too busy, but it feels a bit empty (though to be fair sky is like that). Although it's green, the ground doesn't really feel like a garden environment, it just feels like green ground, or really short grass. It feels like a plains level, maybe if there were some thwomp shaped flowers or some baroque background or something denoting a path through a park, like railings and streetlamps, or a greenhouse area. The status bar has the wrong palette. The cave has an X tile in it. The cave feels pretty atmospheric at first but solely because of the music, then it just feels like a green cave instead of a green plain. Maybe you could have some tiles showing the bottom of thwomps poking through the ceiling, so it seems more like a thwomp's garden and less like a garden with thwomps in it. The pipe you need a p-switch for enters left but exits right; not a technical issue but it doesn't help continuity.

Overall I wasn't too keen on this level. We have a few vanilla levels which are really good and look very aesthetically pleasing, but this wasn't either of those. It has nice music but the rest is pretty standard, not too difficult platforming, with repeated segments and enforced backtracking. The level doesn't really live up to it's name of a thwomp garden, it's just a plain with a more green palette. Unless someone wants to go against me and defend the level, I have to say I don't think it's A2MT quality. I gather you like vanilla as a style, and I'm not asking you to make up some gimmick, but this level didn't feel different from any pure-vanilla super mario world level, just that it had more thwomps. Maybe if you had fire flowers that were thwomps, or thwomps that shoot from the ground with stems, or make them look more like plants, and the area more like a garden, or something to that effect, then it could be really interesting.

Jumping from one set of blocks to another set of blocks is fundamentally always going to be the same, that's why I really push for interesting and new things (admittedly usually in the form of gimmicks), to try and liven up the process. Of course it shouldn't distract from it, but if you're not telling a story or wowing the player or doing something they can have fun with, or challenge themselves with, then the level might as well just be blocks and hazards.

I've seen your ASMT levels so I know you can do a decent job, but I don't think this is it.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

:o It's FoD!
Sorry for offtopic but omigawd you're back! :o
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Holy crap FoD.

Man I miss seeing your wall of textes that I shouldn't read. Glad to see you're nice and safe, buddy!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

cool nobody noticed he's been back for more than a day but just didn't post :lol:
kilon

Post by kilon »

Paralars wrote:cool nobody noticed he's been back for more than a day but just didn't post :lol:
I did. He was actually online on the 25th already. Don't ask how I know. I just happened to stumble upon it.

And that is enough off-topic for this thread. Sorry.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

lol, FoD's back here a few days after I removed the "temporary mod till FoD's back" from my sig.

Anyways, I'm just gonna comment on Kristians level right now. I found Professor Demitris level very glitchy when it comes to platforms, and era64's level good. As I could at least 100% without going mad on the platforms and the amount of details (not meaning to be mean against Pro. D.)

Kristian, your level is fun and the "gimmick" is interesting and absolutely not in the way of the actual levels esthetics's. The only things I found boring were the lack of a graphical experience. I hope there's a way for you to add more to it's Vanilla layout. You could try the platform within platform design, but that's up to you. Generally I'd like to see more use of the vanilla resources you've decided to use.

Another thing I would find amazing is if you'd be able to add some LevelASM that changes the palettes of the Thwomps when you pass certain points in the level (they'd go back to original colors when you go back past that point). It would be a really interesting part of it, as the green becomes boring after some time IMO.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Well you're not a Temp mod anymore anyway ;)

Also, I beat all of you! I've been CHATTING with Mr. FlameofDoubt! X3

Anyway... no more OMGFoD posts. We're all happy he's back, and I think Alex-R's request may have been fulfilled with it.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

So... what do we do with me? Do I just keep doin what I'm doin?
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Yes, you're still you. Your job is still yours. We're not laying anyone off.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

flameofdoubt wrote:I've seen your ASMT levels so I know you can do a decent job, but I don't think this is it.
I don't want to argue with you on any of your other points, but this line is completely bogus. The level I made for this hack is WAAAAAAY better than my levels for ASMT. My ASMT levels were, like, terrible.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Flameofdoubt wrote:era64: Looks really good, though a bit short. The Demo sprite looks like it could do with a bit more work, but it may be the best it can be for that resolution, what are your thoughts on this? Also at the top of the P-balloon shaft is a little unfair because you have to go one way to get the dragon coin and there's no indication, it's just a binary choice and if you get it wrong you have to do the level again. In the P-balloon shaft, the podobos don't spawn. Also also, the graphics don't really look like anything themselves. What I mean is, in megaman for instance, all the 8-bit graphics tended to look like somewhere, be it a cityscape, up in the clouds, a factory, or whatnot. In that respect your level, though looking really nice, looks like a megaman level, not like when a megaman level tries to look like something else. I'm not suggesting you change all your graphics, that's ridiculous, but have a think about where (in your mind) the level is meant to be set in the station (if you want to go about making it fit the overall game theme), or if it's in a videogame or a computer or whatnot, and maybe give some signs in the level, some small set-pieces to imply this.

Overall the aesthetic looks really good and gives a good 8-bit atmosphere, but it feels somehow lacking. Maybe it's the fact I know how lunar magic and ExGFX work but It seems like it's all just a skin, and underneath it's a pretty standard level. The shooting and always-big and health bar system stuff is neat, but it feels like sort of a missed opportunity. I'm not sure what exactly I'm expecting, but what would be ideal is something characteristic of the old 8-bit games, something in the level itself rather than how it looks, because at the moment if you took away all the really nicely done graphics and music, it would just be a level.

As a level it's fine and I'd be happy to clear it on the nice aesthetics, but if you're willing, I'd love to see something really cool like a robot master-esque boss fight against megaman or someone who fits in the plot scenario, with pretty simple AI, or just something in the level that really smacks of the 8-bit era (I'm focusing on megaman because that's what the graphics remind me of, you can go for any style you want). What I mean is that it's really nice to look at, and has some extra features, but I don't feel it really has the substance there to justify the 8-bit theme. Also (though this perhaps isn't such a strong criticism), it doesn't really have the nintendo hard style of the old games, another thing that would add that substance, but then you might not want it to be a hard level.
really cool like a robot master-esque boss fight against megaman or someone who fits in the plot scenario, with pretty simple AI
I'm aware of this, but I don't know ASM enough to do something like this.
What I mean is, in megaman for instance, all the 8-bit graphics tended to look like somewhere, be it a cityscape, up in the clouds, a factory, or whatnot.
This would mean taking more Map16 slots, but it's pretty possible to make it look better.
Also (though this perhaps isn't such a strong criticism), it doesn't really have the nintendo hard style of the old games, another thing that would add that substance, but then you might not want it to be a hard level.
Well, if I would make it harder I couldn't beat it without rewinds. I'm poor player ;)...
In the P-balloon shaft, the podobos don't spawn.
Actually, this podoboo is left-over. /me removes it.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

era64: I'm sure someone in the asm topics would be able to help you if you did want a boss fight. That or the newbie's custom boss (there are two and one's better, but I can't remember if it's the newbie's or the n00b's that is the better one), which is pretty easy to code because it's basically a checklist, and you could make an enemy that runs around and jumps and toggles between two frames of walking animation. Shooting might be harder but it might not be necessary. Heck if I get some free time I'll give it a go myself since I have experience with the 'ncb', just let me know how big you want it to be and if you had any sprites in mind.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
ProfessorDemetri

*rolls up sleeves and takes in a big breathe*
*pause*
Yeah okay. lol
Thanks FoD. Oh, I'll get there, just you wait lol Mark my words, my friend.
My level will kick ass and take names.

I'll make those changes and come back in a few days to upload an updated .ips. Thanks for being so patient.
ProfessorDemetri

Oookay.
I think the ceilings are good, and the corners should be good..
The priorities, I believe, should be fixed.
Changed the charlie replacement, and the yoshi head lol
I tried my best to try to fit a ! mark on the message box.
The bottoms of the vine now match.
P-Switch gate has been fixed, and you don't need to wait.
I'm not sure how to make the coin block not flash yellow... if anyone knows, please let me know.
I added some aesthetics with that very layer priority. lol I think it'll add more depth and something new to the level.
Well, here we go, updated version.
Also, I'm in the process of porting some music... Just wanted to let you know.
Thanks.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:I'm not sure how to make the coin block not flash yellow... if anyone knows, please let me know.
You mean flash yellow like the dragon coin? You need to override it with palette exanimation. So just click on the exanimation thing and choose any slot and choose palette for the type. Then you have to put in the coordinates of the flashing yellow palette on the custom palette for the destination and for the color it switches to just put in the number value it tells you at the bottom right when you scroll over a color.

Sorry if that was explained poorly but I'm not near my computer now so this is from memory.
ProfessorDemetri

limepie20 wrote:
ProfessorDemetri wrote:I'm not sure how to make the coin block not flash yellow... if anyone knows, please let me know.
You mean flash yellow like the dragon coin? You need to override it with palette exanimation. So just click on the exanimation thing and choose any slot and choose palette for the type. Then you have to put in the coordinates of the flashing yellow palette on the custom palette for the destination and for the color it switches to just put in the number value it tells you at the bottom right when you scroll over a color.

Sorry if that was explained poorly but I'm not near my computer now so this is from memory.
Actually I was referring to the coin block flashing yellow when I hit it, but it's blue, and darker blue when it's used, only flashes yellow when it's hit. ....hmm...
That's good to know either way though lol
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh I think I know what you mean. You have to change the color of the coin block sprite. I don't know the palette off the top of my head but it's from 8-F and it's yellow.