Re: Level Clearing

Post by yogui »

[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Hey guys, I finally have my level doneish. Here's the link
http://www.mediafire.com/?qv9822jond5iu84

But, know that raocow told me that I could do the graphics after the deadline, so I focused on the gameplay. The background, music, and the garbage sprites will all be fixed in due time.

Also, the box with a feather in it above the green exclaimation point block is only there for testing.

That's about it, enjoy playing my level!

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the reason I'm putting this here without and testing in the testing thread, is because I left it there for 5 or 6 hours and no one tested it. I know that that isn't very long, but it is the deadline day, and I still want time to fix anything.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

7TC7: You're cleared! Difficulty is still ★★★. but fix a couple things first:
-Just noticed your goal bar is placed a tile too high, move it down to the floor.
7T.png
-I figured out the deal with the brightness: BSNES has an option called "Enable NTSC gamma ramp simulation" which is on by default, and supposedly simulates what the game would look like on an actual TV; I guess TVs make the greens blend together. Funny thing is, now that I know that the ground is difficult, not impossible, to see, I actually see it as more of a flaw than before. Near-invisible gimmicks are the worst; If a person with a non-crt monitor can't see properly, the easiest fix is to look at the monitor from a weird angle, which is zero fun. You should just make the grass tiles completely visible, as I don't think that would take away from the level at all.

spitznagl:
-Time limit seems a bit arbitrary, could you bump it up to a more round number like 120 or 125?
-The fence drop still seems cheap, can you give some sorta warning that the fence is coming? Also I liked the red shell ambush, you just needed to remove the turn blocks so the shell wasn't needed.
-Even now knowing the answer to the up arrow trap, it still seems cheap. A more obvious clue would be the dotted outline often associated with invisible coin blocks; maybe even a specifically tofu-block-looking one.
death.png
-You can get on this with a low spinjump and walk off the level.
-The coin trail at the end doesn't seem necessary since you can fall anywhere and be safe.
Change these things and report back here. However, I don't think I'll be clearing you next time: I feel I know too much about the level and can no longer properly judge whether something's cheap. Hopefully limepie or argumentable will have the time to clear you.

Oh, and about the music: yes, you can replace your old music later, but have working music for now. Choose another temp track that fits, or PM me the song being used right now and I'll fix it.

fireyblaze: I spent 500 seconds on the level's first half and over 400 on the second half. 999 seems about right!
-As I said before: change your music to use slot 47 (it's the same song but ported better) and change the "solid to demo" blocks to the regular gold graphic.
-The chuck next to the question block you have to hit with the green shell is hard to avoid, even if you know he's there.
-Some very major slowdown on the way to the question block with the shell in it.
These are some really pleasant p-balloon segments. It feels like it was actually balanced for big demo, which is rare in levels that use the p-balloon.
I'm out of time so that's all for now. I gotta say, I'm impressed at how many of you are following through!

List of people needing feedback:
Septentrion Pleiades
Jesuiscontent
shdwdrgnix
JellyBlock
TomPhanto
Kevinskie555
cmbheadquarters
yogui
Leifytwig123
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Here's what I have. Technically it should be complete. There are changes that need to be made like adding a third digit to the counter and to put it in front of everything. However, the level should still be able to be played just as well as with these fixes.

There is a chance that the graphics will screw up, and I'm not sure why it happens. If the graphics screw up suddenly a rewind should fix it. If anyone could tell me why this might happen and how to fix it, please let me know.

I still need to deal with music stuff, but I'm sure that can be done later.

If I forgot anything please let me know.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Just so we're clear: anyone who puts their level here to be cleared, and aren't cleared for whatever reason,are subject to the 'one week' rule that new level makers are given. So if you have something to fix, you have no more than a week to have your level fully cleared (with some leniancy given if it's due to clearing delays, of course).

Just making sure things are clear!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Suppose it's about time I get this in, under the wire as usual! I included everything possibly needed for submission (optimistic much?), although primarily you'll want the IPS file. Some of the graphics are outdated as I've been using an older base ROM, but those will be fixed when inserted. Except for the OW and some graphics, the level should be all set.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

I incorporated the feedback I got. Thanks for the input!

Link: http://files.chemicalservers.com/downlo ... TFinal.ips
capefeather

Post by capefeather »

Well, here is my level again with suggested fixes:

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/12461/1a.ips
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14987784/Gelatin%20Factory.ips

My level is the blank named level on the bottom row at the end, I don't know why the name wont show up, I'm guessing either level names were re-pointed or I just did something wrong.

Wow, it took me over a year but I finally have a fully playable level.

There are a few things I think should be changed, but I'll wait and see from the feed back.

Anyways, I'm putting how to get to the bonus area in this spoiler
There is a secret that requires a fire flower to get to, after you enter the pipe there's a block with a fire flower in it being guarded by a breakable only by shell block. If you keep your fire flower to the area where there are blocks that you can melt with your fireballs you will be taken to a bonus room and in the bonus room there is an easter egg, if you just so happen to wander through the fake wall.
I'll give feedback on other levels later, it's currently 2:30 am. I need to go to bed.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

capefeather wrote:Well, here is my level again with suggested fixes:

(I hope I'm still allowed to give feedback even if it isn't the testing thread !)
I just played your level a bit and noticed the area at the right of the midpoint, with the whistling charlie that summons flying koopas, can be used as a life-farming spot since you can stay on the vine and indefinitely stomp the koopas very easily. I suggest removing the vine to fix that. Unless you want raocow to come back at your level every now and then... :P

Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I'm not Clearing or anything, but leifytwig, you know, that treasure chest procedure is WAY too hard, both figuring it out and pulling it off
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

raocow wrote:So if you have something to fix, you have no more than a week to have your level fully cleared
I was said, "Once you fix this thing, you're cleared". So if I fix that thing, will I automatically be fully cleared and allowed to send my level to submission, or do I still have to run it through the clearing thread? Obviously, in any case, I have one week to fix that thing.
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Yes, this is what a 'if [x], then' statement usually means
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I would like to change the level name from "Broken Reality" to "Change the World"

http://www.mediafire.com/?xgdjq84kkw0m9sp
I made the night and house easier and changed resetting the ghost house so you don't have to return to the night part when you use the emergency door. Also, I expect 1 or 2 switch places to be pressed by the time the level shows up in the game.
I don't really "get" or like this level. I'm not comfortable clearing or not clearing it in either sense. Hopefully someone else can come along and say something definite. Here's some thoughts though:
All of the coin stuff is stupid. I don't need to see "P" every single screen over and over. I don't like it. Also the arrows seem to be misleading/stupid/wrong/whatever as well. I ended up making it to the end just by ignoring everything and probably getting lucky
I am not sure if I even beat the level the intended way, I bounced off an eerie over to the goal and pressed the switch (the ? blocks covering it up seemed like a dick move) and I was kind of running out of time by the end, I don't know why there is suddenly time in the ghost house.
You have a lot of places with corner tiles that have dirt on them, like this
a2mt - changetheworld_00006.png
Also I don't get whats with the messageboxes. I mean it's no big deal, I just didn't like it.
Maybe I am just tired though and that is part of it.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Jesiuscontent:
The entrance to the sublevel after the scrolling vertical one has its camera set too high. Also, your little midpoint area has cutoff on one of the corners because of water. You don't really need a midpoint area so, if you want, you can just take it out and I will put in a midpoint using the MMP patch that sends you straight to the vertical room. Just make sure to remind me in the readme of your submission. You're cleared.

shdwdrgnix:
I really don't like the background. It's way too black and I don't think black looks good. Definitely have the background be some sort of blue and, if you want, find a yoshi's island snow background to fit with the theme. The left midpoint bar has an ugly palette. You need to fix that. The second sublevel of the castle part doesn't look too good because of all the 1 tile blocks. That really doesn't look good. They should be one big block. Overall, I liked your level but the one problem I had with it was the snow/castle switch. It just really takes away from the level. I think the most important part of a level is having one central theme and yours doesn't have one. It's snow, and then halfway through, it's castle. You should pick one of the two and fix your level accordingly.

JellyBlock:
The way your upside down slopes act like full solid blocks kinda bothers me. It makes it hard to predict how to jump. Also, I don't know whether you are aware, but the new parrot coins don't give you any coins, so you should fix your level to be beatable without them. Otherwise, it's a nice, easy level. After, that is fixed, you are cleared.
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

capefeather wrote:Well, here is my level again with suggested fixes:

Alright, I've played your level and I've gotten almost five game overs on it.
I've really got to ask, is the fireball generator necessary in the first part? I've had more trouble navigating parts of the level with that than I think I should have.

Sometimes the right-most thwomp despawns, which makes the area a lot easier. The Fireball Generator and the plant and the thwomps rarely allow me to clear the area with my hit in tact.

The second part of the level is pretty tame.

I think you should also add a power up of some sort to the midpoint, unless I'm just blind and don't see one. Trying to get through the area small is bother some. I suppose it wouldn't be necessary, but it makes the part a lot less annoying. The area with the midpoint tape is hard to get through if you lack a hit.

Also in the final area, there needs to be another ON/OFF switch, because if you mess up the timing you will miss the spring board. I think the level is over all fun and interesting but those are just some of my suggestions.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

alright, just so the right people see it, I'll post it here.
Once again for everyone,
If you have fireball spitting plants in your level with black plant heads:
They are using the last 5 colors of a sprite palette, the plant is currently set to use palette C.
If colors C,B to C,F are black in your level palette, the plants are black.

Here is how you can fix it:
fireplantcolors.png
Palette A has the correct colors, you can copy them over with Ctrl+Left Click/Right Click.

The plants that throw out 3 fireballs use palette B, same goes for those.

Of course you can choose your own colors for the plants (C,B - C,F and B,B - B,F), but the ones from palette A are always better than just black.
Last edited by Paralars 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I would like to change the level name to "I need a P"
http://www.mediafire.com/?t223pqt7t08ysi3
I have:
removed a lot of mistakes
Removed Arrow coins
Cleaned up quite a bit
Changed a message box to something semi-reasonable
removed excess power ups
removed another camouflage spike(Even hard to see in lunar magic).
Argumentable did beat it the way I expect(there is one other way). I don't think raocow would have trouble performing the spin jump.

The "Dick move" is suppose to be more funny than mean, after all, it doesn't kill you.

The name change also makes the P coins more understandable.

I would also like to keep the time limit. I beat it with 100 seconds without even trying hard(Edit: 100 mario seconds left, not within 100 second). It also feels good with the music.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

it's not about what raocow would do, it's about what an average player of this hack would do.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

TomPhanto:
Really, I found no problems. I had a lot of fun playing this. You're cleared.

Kevinskie:
I don't like how the pipes in the room you start out in are the exact same color as the background. It really looks odd. Try to make them look more distinct. Now, there are a few minor problems but there is one big problem I'd like to address. Don't get me wrong, I liked the level design and I thought the castle transition was very clever but the problem lies within the castle transition. It's the fact that there is a castle transition. I really liked the idea (the room itself was kinda annoying because there were way too many bros) but it ultimately takes away from the level because it strays from the levels theme: thwomps and castles. I liked the individual rooms, but as a whole level, it doesn't come together. Honestly, I think you can make a really good level that focuses on the castle transition theme because its an original idea that works well on its own. You could make condensed castle segments with the little story telling going on on the bottom, too. That works because the theme isn't grassland, it's the castle destruction cutscene theme. If you'd rather just have a thwomp level, you could take out the transition or whatever, but I'd be a little upset because I thought it was a really neat idea. I know you can do it, and do it well, at that.

Cmb:
Uh, the sliding koopas literally right at the beginning get stuck in the stack of blocks they slide into. Was there supposed to be a chest in the little hole in the wall with the mushroom next to the midpoint? When I took the door to there, a sprite just fell off screen. I suppose if that was intentional and you just have an older baserom, it'll fix itself when inserted into the baserom. I do think it is a bit unfair how it makes you restart the second half, though. It would be better if instead of having the door, just replace the door with the chest and mushroom. It's virtually the same thing (plus fairness). I think you also have the wrong sprite memory because some of the thwomps and spikeballs near the end lost one of their corners. I didn't really like the vertical scrolling room at all. It was boring most of the time because you were just waiting and I couldn't figure out how to get past the first two spikeballs (one of which was missing a corner). I say scrap it because there's not a lot of good to salvage from it. You can replace it or just have it fully removed. The boss room is very bland. It's just a few blocks and a solid black background. You could make it look a lot nicer. And beating the boss takes you to a ghost house from smw.

This is completely preference, but I don't really like how you combined the castle and cloud tilesets. It just seems weird to me having floating castle blocks in the sky. I mean you don't have to change it if you don't want to; I just think it looks really odd. Just making it a full blown sky level (with a cloud foreground) could be for the better. And then make the boss sit on a cloud instead of a little machine.

yogui:
Ah, this level. I'm glad you decided to go ahead and finish it. Yeah, a nice short level, really no problems. You're cleared.

Leifytwig:
So I guess all I can judge here is the level design. Sorry to say, but I wasn't too fond of the level design. I was just standing on a moving platform with absolutely nothing else in the level and enemies coming at you. It was very repetitive and wasn't fun. I don't really like rail levels but this one just goes for too long. You're standing on a platform, dodging an enemy, waiting for the next one. You could still pull it off and make it work, but it would require a lot of reparation and fun twist. I really don't know what else to say except that I think you could come up with something more creative and fun than a rail level.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

limepie20 wrote: Overall, I liked your level but the one problem I had with it was the snow/castle switch. It just really takes away from the level. I think the most important part of a level is having one central theme and yours doesn't have one. It's snow, and then halfway through, it's castle. You should pick one of the two and fix your level accordingly.

How about a transition? would that work well enough?
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

There we go: http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13354/A2MT%2Bpatch.ips

The 3-up moon should be replaced with a chest, and banzai bill should be replaced by a the steak. I can't do this by myself though.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

shdwdrgnix wrote:
limepie20 wrote: Overall, I liked your level but the one problem I had with it was the snow/castle switch. It just really takes away from the level. I think the most important part of a level is having one central theme and yours doesn't have one. It's snow, and then halfway through, it's castle. You should pick one of the two and fix your level accordingly.

How about a transition? would that work well enough?
No, you've got to understand. You can't have two unrelated themes in one level. Sure, you can throw in a transition and it isn't as bad, but in the end, it takes away from the level.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Basically limepie is asking if you could take one 'half' of your level and just change it looks to fit the other half, whichever one you prefer.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

limepie20 wrote:Leifytwig:
So I guess all I can judge here is the level design. Sorry to say, but I wasn't too fond of the level design. I was just standing on a moving platform with absolutely nothing else in the level and enemies coming at you. It was very repetitive and wasn't fun. I don't really like rail levels but this one just goes for too long. You're standing on a platform, dodging an enemy, waiting for the next one. You could still pull it off and make it work, but it would require a lot of reparation and fun twist. I really don't know what else to say except that I think you could come up with something more creative and fun than a rail level.
Well...okay. I guess I didn't realize that my level was so bad. Are you suggesting that I should try and make the level more fun, or are you saying change the entire gimmick. If you're saying the latter, I'm not really sure if I can do it. I only have a week now, and that level took me a lot longer to make. Could you maybe give me a suggestion on how I could make it more fun?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!