(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Level Clearing

Post by limepie20 »

You have to post your level in the testing thread first.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:
TomPhanto wrote:And to anyone who doesn't realize yet, since the upload limit is 512 kb, I had to put in on a patchless version.
Couldn't you just compress the file before uploading it? Or would that still be too big?

(actual level criticism to come shortly)
I don't know how that's done though.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Right click -> New -> Compressed folder, and then put your IPS file inside of it. (note that my computer's system language is Swedish, so the menu might not use the exact same wording as I do)
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

Well I think that's what it says on Windows when you put it in a ZIP, I think it may "Compressed (Zipped) Folder"
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

TomPhanto:

Tons of slowdown here. And what's the point of having those upper and lower platforms there in the first place? There's nothing there, and the only way you can get to them is by backtracking.

On another note, I'm really not fond of the palette in this section.

Flickering at the top of the screen due to too many tiles being updated at once. You'll need to remove some of those growing/shrinking pipes.

This jump is way too obnoxious for its own good. You don't have any room at all to build up speed (jumping between those two munchers while keeping your momentum is next to impossible as big Demo), and if you manage to get up there it's likely by the smallest of margins, meaning that it's very easy to overshoot and fall in the muncher pit on the other side.

Stuff falling from above without warning is never nice. Also sprite memory errors made that Chuck's head disappear.

Whatever was supposed to be in this box consistently fails to spawn.

More sprite memory errors, and more slowdown.

What's the point of this little alcove? Unless it's for the treasure chest, in which case you really need to find a better hiding place; those things should be hidden well, not in plain sight and extremely easy to get.

Overall: no offense, but your level seems really generic. There's not any sort of theme except for "grassland", and the only thing even remotely resembling a gimmick is the "intertwining landmasses" everyone and their dog seem to be using these days. Also, the second halves of both of the rooms seem kind of empty and uninspired as a whole, and the alternate paths thing you have going on in the second room is rendered mostly pointless by the fact that there's no incentive whatsoever to take a path that isn't the easiest one. So yeah, I'd say you still have a lot of work to do.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Hey, Franky and kuposan3 have been waiting up there for a while. Could someone do them next?
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

I actually sent Kupo an updated version with a fix to the problem they were having before... I was hoping they'd be okay with it, or alter it, and post their own copy here... lol
As for franky, I'm trying to help him with his problem too atm...
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kuposan3 »

I thought I sent you a PM in response to that. Maybe it didn't go through?
Anyway, you seem to have fixed all the problems and I like it, is there anything else I need to do to clear it?

(Also, what was causing the smasher to show up at the end?)
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
Patgangster

Re: Level Clearing~

Post by Patgangster »

Patgangster wrote:My finished level.

A thing to note: I don't think I'll be able to submit it yet as it contains a patch that (as far as I know) is not yet in the BaseROM. Chdata said he would add it since it will only fix stuff and not change anything else, but I don't know if it went through (yet?). (It's the 'sumo bro flame fix' patch)

Anyway yeah, I do think it is ready for the 'clearing' stage.
A fairly long time ago, on Skype, Limepie told me to resubmit this and see what FoD (or any clearer) thinks. The recent only-a-week-left PM reminded me, so I figured I'd throw it in here.
Mochtroidprime

Post by Mochtroidprime »

Alright, I'm fairly sure that I'm ready to get this cleared.
The rules kinda confused me though, it said if it doesn't get cleared, I lose my level spot, would I have to reclaim it in the signups thread, along with the Map16 page?
Or would I just try to fix what was said here and try again?
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/7516/Floode ... BHOUSE.ips
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If it doesn't get cleared, just fix the problems and then re;post your level here.
muuma

Post by muuma »

Hi, posting here because I don't know where. I noticed while playing the beta that everyone talks about inserting a "treasure chest". So questions: 1) what is exactly this treasure chest, like a bonus, an item to get a secret stage when you collect then all? 2) is it an object or a sprite? 3) does it stays where you put it like a dragon coin or it should stay on a ledge otherwise it falls like a key/sprinboard? 4) how do you interact with it, like taking it with you, staying in front of it to get coins, or you just get it like a dragon coin? 5) how tiles it takes on the 8x8 tile editor, open and closed? 6) is it obligatory to have one in my level? 7) where should I put it in my level? Is it possible to put it in a horizontal scrolling? Well, that's about it.
I see what you did there...
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

You just have to hide one somewhere in your level. It takes up one 16x16 space and you don't need to worry about graphics. Put tile 330 on map16 where you want to hide it. It should be harder to find than a dragon coin. Also, I'm pretty sure it falls but it should be on a ledge.
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

I'm late, but I'm back and remembered why I shoved this ahead of me for so long... Well, let's get to it!
limepie20 wrote:There really shouldn't be any place where a lot of the background is exposed and you have this bright red color. Make it grey or something. In fact, I think the first sublevel would look better if you made the red in the windows less bright.
Made the red darker but will not get rid of it, as I personally like the red water quite a lot.
limepie20 wrote:YOu can't just have stairs cutoff. It doesn't look good. Make a tile where it looks like they've broken off or have a block stopping them.
Did in fact not think about that but it is done now (with a block, that is).
limepie20 wrote:You should probably use the vine end in that sublevel (that's exgfx 135).
I thought about that right when I started making a level full with vines, but I, having never worked with exgfx before, have absolutely no idea how this works. Since you posted this I searched around for answers here and there but really, I just don't get it... :oops:
limepie20 wrote:It's a pretty tricky to get through if you are big.

I still have a problem with the basement and gold mine. They have the same overall design and I don't want that. Change one of them to be different. I liked the gold mine better so I would say, change the basement.
Yeah, I know it's tricky to get through big and it's kinda supposed to be. I changed it a little bit to make it easier.
About the similarities between the rooms... I think they are different enough. The have different movement, different enemies and a different route to get through them. Also, why shouldn't two basement rooms be built in the same principle?
limepie20 wrote:When I said to fix the background in the sublevel where you go outside, I knew the level had layer 2. What I meant is get some background tiles from other levels and put them into your map16 and then place them into the background like normal layer 2 tiles. Really, just changing the background color to a dark blue (night) and adding some clouds should look fine.
exgfx, map16, it's all the same to me... in the sense that I don't get it. And no, I'm opposed to make the dawn fade to night. The windows in the house are red, the water is red, I'm sticking to a theme here... :(

Anyways, small piece of progress attached.
Attachments
A2MTlvl15 - New.ips
(436.94 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Here's Demo Kong Country (level 00D) finished. I'm very sure that it's ready for clearing, and it's been through Testing and Development a few times.

Download Link
Yoshi Ambassador!
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

Alrighty here's my level Moonlit Mountain. It's all done with testing and should be good.

Moonlit Mountain
1f

http://www.mediafire.com/?omsxhir1e8jhdfc
ProfessorDemetri

As for the previous entries...
I'll be testing them later tonight.

But just for now, I'm uploading mine here too.
As I can't clear myself (because of obvious bias), someone else has to test it for.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
111c.zip
(341.65 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kuposan3 »

I never saw a clear answer to whether or not I needed to do anything else to clear my level (or I missed said answer) so here's the latest version of it, with I think everything ready. I hope it works well enough!

Edit: Oh I just noticed I got a PM, whoops :oops:
Attachments
a2ntlevel102final.zip
(289.7 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
ProfessorDemetri

Kupo, as far as I saw from helping you out before... I didn't see anything else wrong with it.
But just to be sure, I'll be playing through this also tonight, to give a final answer on it. :)
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

7TC7 wrote: I thought about that right when I started making a level full with vines, but I, having never worked with exgfx before, have absolutely no idea how this works. Since you posted this I searched around for answers here and there but really, I just don't get it... :oops:
Not sure if this is clear to you already, but what Limepie means is that you should use those vine ends like shown here:
Image.

There already present in the base ROM. The only thing you need to do in Lunar Magic is:
-Click on the red poison mushroom.
-Tick 'Enable bypass of standard "blabla" graphics'
-Select BG2 as "$135"
-After doing this open "Add object window" (Yellow turn block)
-Go to Direct Map16 Acces from the selection list
-Go to page 2. Here two bottom end vine tiles will appear, which you can insert into your level like normal blocks.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Ok this is very unorganized.

Levels that need testing:
Franky
kuposan3
Patgangster
Mochtroidprime
7TC7
Karatekid5
Davvic
ProfessorDemetri

Jeez, if I have time, I'll play some tonight.
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

Diortem wrote:stuff
Strangely enough, they were not inserted in the base rom! :shock: Guess I made a mistake somewhere, but I would have no idea what.
Fixed it now by patching new, and those reset doors are gonna be useful, too. Thanks a lot~

Will upload a patch again, when there is more things done.
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Whenever any of these gets cleared, make sure to PM the level maker, since they may not be checking the thread at the moment.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ProfessorDemetri

Davvic:
I found nothing wrong with this level.
Granted, it took me awhile to figure things out... like that p switch button, but that's okay.
It's not overly hard but definately challenging.
Cleared.
Difficulty rating of: ★★★
Karate:
I had a FREAKIN' delightful time playing through this!
I had a happy kitty face on the entire time! =3
And I didn't notice anything glitchy, so...
You're cleared!
Difficulty rating of: ★★★☆
Kupo:
Okay, the the smasher trick worked just fine. But I do have on tiny nitpick...
If you cross the finish line with a shell, like I had, the mushroom goes into the roof, and skids along with Demo's victory walk... I'm not sure if you can change that, or just make that area solid or something...
When/if you can fix that, you're cleared. Don't bother posting here again, if you change that, just post the updated version into the insertion thread!
Difficulty rating of: ★★
Patganster:
This was another nice romp through a cave level, not too hard, but still fun.
I didn't see any glitches, or anything that I would change.
You're cleared. Good job.
Difficulty rating of: ★☆
Prime:
Grammar change in the first message block.
Should be 'a flooded' not 'an flooded'. Also I'd make that one sentence. Continueing with a new sentence at 'Some of the houses... blah blah blah."
On the first house that you can enter, the right corner of the chimney is just a blank map 16 block... fix that please.
The yoshi says the default rescueing message? ... ehm I'm not sure if you can change that, or if that comes down to general messages of the game...
The coin block above the tiny pool after the walkthroughable cannons, has weird layer priority with the coins. Literally, the coin from the block will pass infront of the ground, and then behind another piece, and then infront of it again.
And then to the right of it, more random map16 default blocks as corner pieces...
The slopes to the right of the chest, the ones you use for stairs, should be pass throughable, like the clouds.
As this is a village, you can only go into 2 houses? Or rather.. maybe have more houses that don't have doors, but still look like houses?
It's a nice level over all, just needs to be polished.
Yeah, fix those things, and comes back to post an updated .ips here.
TC:
So cutoff with the vines. I'll make a tutorial on how to fix this for you, in the next few days.
Also cutoff with the vine and the fence... is there any reason why you have vines going into your fence?
I actually really like how this entire level looked from even the screen shots... I like the bright red, that's fine, I'd keep it. But I don't get the blue clouds above the red water?... that's kinda weird.
Homestly, for game play, I'm really kinda stumped... AT the golden and black part, where you had you to use the pswitch.. yeah I've made it through both of the pswitch runs... but.. other then that, I have no idea how to progress...
As it stands, I can't clear this yet.
Franky:
So the only problem is the reset door? Just put your level into the baserom, and use the preset ones? I don't see a problem with that... or even better yet, get another exgfx file and make another door?
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Davvic:
If you cross the finish line with a shell, like I had, the mushroom goes into the roof, and skids along with Demo's victory walk... I'm not sure if you can change that, or just make that area solid or something...
Is... this really a problem? You can fix it by not having a roof (or a visible roof) as goal-powerups don't interact with other stuff until they start falling. It just seems like a really weird thing to nitpick about (I'm aware it's the only issue)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw