(shouting)

ASM: Request, help and general discussion

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Schnurmanator

Re: ASM: Request, help and general discussion

Post by Schnurmanator »

Diortem wrote:Schnurmanator: If I run the 2.17 base rom I don't see any coin increments when the new Parrot coins are collected. So if you insert the new coins yourself instead of the original SMW Dragon Coins it should be fine.

That's interesting Diortem. I'll have to look into that. I wonder why they dont count as coins in that Base rom.

AUS wrote:If you tell me what you need it for, I can probably think of a way around that.
Not with code, but you know, on paper.
The reason I need a special parrot coin is because in my level, in the first sub level, you have to collect 84 coins in order to be warped to the secret exit sub level. The only problem is that right now, there are two parrot coins in the first sub map, meaning that if you get all the parrot coins before you get the secret exit, you're screwed and can't get the secret exit. So pretty much, I need the parrot coins to not add coins to your counter, that way the Parrot coins can still be collected as well as the 84 coins for the secret exit warp.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Schnurmanator wrote:That's interesting Diortem. I'll have to look into that. I wonder why they dont count as coins in that Base rom.
It's because the baserom uses custom parrot coins and Chibikko never coded them to add to your coin counter. So everything should be just fine.

For reference:
Testing thread wrote:HOW TO USE THE PARROT COINS:
Be in Object editing mode and press the Insert button. Under "Size/Type/Ext" you can put 9E, 9F, A0, A1, or A2. Each one of those blocks is a parrot coin. 9E is the first, 9F is the second, and so on... The graphics will look glitchy in Lunar Magic, but just ignore them. They work ingame.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Can I just patch the old A2MT ROM with the new updates or do I have to download 2.17 and upload all the sprites, blocks, map16 spaces etc to the new rom or is there an easier way to patch the rom?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah you have to get the new baserom. But trust me, it's not a lot of work to switch from one rom to another and it's worth it.
Kopasznyaku

Post by Kopasznyaku »

Hmm, how would one make it so collected coins don't disappear if you exit and re-enter the room?

I'm trying to do a little 'puzzle' trick thing that involves collecting coins, but if you mess up I'd want you to be able to try again without necessarily dying. Would ASM be the right way to go about fixing this?
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Try using the coins from the Map16 instead of the standard objects. Map16 coins aren't affected by the Item Memory Index and thus will always return if you leave the level and return.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

I'm having trouble porting everything to a new base rom. Any tutorial or something to help get everything working?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Really, all you have to do is basically do what you would do when submitting a level (first post of level submissions thread) and then insert what you made into a new rom.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

I do that but the level crashes when I try to play it, would I need to patch the base rom or something before inserting my level?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I don't know what you mean by would you need to patch your baserom.
How does your level crash? When does it crash? What happens?
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

It crashes at the Demo start screen(game freeze), wich leads me to assume I need to patch levelasm or something since the level name doesn't show up either. Or the Rom I used is unclean, since my level rom and the one that I used for the baserom were both different.
Last edited by shdwdrgnix 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Sounds like a weird music issue more than anything. Did you try, just for fun, to not add in the music?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

raocow wrote:Sounds like a weird music issue more than anything. Did you try, just for fun, to not add in the music?

That might be it, since I havent really inserted the music I use yet, I'll have to try it after my courses. It might have something to do with using a blank music slotsince every other level works, and it does work on the original rom I used, but that had the music inserted.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

shdwdrgnix wrote:I havent really inserted the music I use yet
yeah, I'd be surprised if this wasn't the problem.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

It has to be Romi's addmusic? Because I don't think a .brr would work in that case, so I'd need to use a different song.

edit: It actually works, though I hope it doesnt break anything if I use another addmusic(not addmusicM of course) when I do send the files they will be inserted in the base rom with Romi's addmusic.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Hi there, working (somewhat hurriedly) on what will (if it's good enough and finished soon enough) hopefully be a sibling boss level. As it stands I could have the sibling be a win-condition sprite, and it be motionless, waiting for the player to jump on it to win. This in itself could be kind of funny, but I think the fight would be much more interesting with a few fancy asm addition, two in particular, if anyone's willing to give it a go:

The intended final affect I want is of a large image made up of squares, and each of the squares will detach from the image over time and become a regular enemy. Early in its lifespan only one drops off occasionally, but then this increases to 2 or 3 at least close together, until the final 1/3 all detach at once and attack.

I know it's possible to spawn enemies, so making the squares detach is just a case of spawning the enemy where the square was. The problem I'm having is I don't know if it's possible to have the image remove the square that is supposed to have become an enemy. Could using an object that spawns the enemy sprite then destroys itself, and have lots of those with different graphics and timers work to make up the full image that gradually deteriorates? Or would it be better to make a single sprite that changes it's graphics as it spawns the enemies?

Second of all, is it possible to make a sprite that takes HP damage from being hit by a charging charging chuck, and kills/bounces away the chuck that hits it? Would it also be possible to have the sprite only take damage from the charge when it is 'stunned', and stunning happen when mario jumps on the sprite, lasting for a couple of seconds.

Thank you for your time.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

shdwdrgnix wrote:
raocow wrote:Sounds like a weird music issue more than anything. Did you try, just for fun, to not add in the music?

That might be it, since I havent really inserted the music I use yet, I'll have to try it after my courses. It might have something to do with using a blank music slotsince every other level works, and it does work on the original rom I used, but that had the music inserted.

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, anyone.
For some reason, this collab is still using a version of Addmusic that isn't AM4 or AMM. Without it, more accurate (read: better) emulators such as Snes9x 1.51+ and bsnes will cause the game to crash because the music file you inserted into the ROM contains problems that those two emulators will expose. There's a few levels in the base ROM I downloaded that contain this issue.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

definitely upgrade ASAP
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

We're using AM4. Most (not all) of the broken songs are just the vanilla SMW cave music. Don't worry about it too much; everything'll be sorted out in the final release.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Alright, that's good to know.

Another question. What's the reasoning behind filtering power-ups on (Demo is made big if she has a Flower or Feather and the item box is always emptied out) level entry?
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

The secret reason why I asked that we do that is so potential TASes remain interesting to see, instead of 'flying over everything'.

But the real reason is to remove a certain 'stress' from level designers, so they can just concentrate on their level, and more or less 'controle' ressources for their level. While SMWCP2 really stressed the 'this game is one big game', A2MT's philosophy embraces the 'every level is its own thing' that comes with collabs.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

raocow wrote:The secret reason why I asked that we do that is so potential TASes remain interesting to see, instead of 'flying over everything'.
That is a completely different beast that I will not even entertain discussing.
At least, not now.
But the real reason is to remove a certain 'stress' from level designers, so they can just concentrate on their level, and more or less 'controle' ressources for their level. While SMWCP2 really stressed the 'this game is one big game', A2MT's philosophy embraces the 'every level is its own thing' that comes with collabs.
And just how will this be explained to the player who obviously will not know why the heck that's happening to begin with?
raocow

Post by raocow »

The game is video gamey as hell, basically. It's a video game, and video game things happen in it.

I'm sure someone somewhere has an actual 'reason' or something, but to me that doesn't happen. The rules of the video game says that powerups beyond an extra hit don't follow, and them's the rules. A player will hopefully notice, and will adapt.

I mean, I could ask the same about 'wait how will a player be expected to anticipate that a mushroom makes them grow twice their size, that makes no sense!' It's the same general idea. And we are taking liberties with some of the old rules from the original SMW because it is not the original SMW, essentially.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Pretty much everything raocow is saying up there, I fully agree with.
raocow wrote:While SMWCP2 really stressed the 'this game is one big game', A2MT's philosophy embraces the 'every level is its own thing' that comes with collabs.
I mean I just love having this mindset. I think it makes the final product a lot more fun and refreshing.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I also like the automatic powerup filter. I would've found it really tedious to design my level with the cape in mind, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way, considering the immense breaking potential of that cape alone. :P