(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
capefeather

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by capefeather »

Well, I did post that I was still around trying to make progress on my level a while ago, but since my username was called on the recent video... Anyway, I finally did the original "level" that I got (1A), mostly done as seen below as far as the actual level is concerned. Somehow, I feel better about this room than the others that I'd made. I clearly took a certain "concept" and ran with it here, lol. Also, it features the plant-pipe dealie at the end that leads to the plant-infested rest of the level. At least, I hope that that's what's going to end up happening.

I think that it's about time that I started to go for the graphical touches because I don't want enemy placement to get in the way of that later. (Yes, that's why there have been hardly any enemies in my rooms.) I'm not really sure of what to do with this, though. If anyone felt like drawing or otherwise seeing use of a tileset involving overgrown plants in castle walls, this is your chance, I suppose, unless I end up doing that myself. (I probably won't draw one myself, though.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

tatanga pm'd me, he lost his level in a computer crash and college is stopping him from redoing it, so you can strike him off the list.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
CristWii

Post by CristWii »

So, so sorry I haven't posted here in a long time. Kinda forgot about this, lol

However I have a question, can my friend make one of the sublevels? Like a collab?

He's TheFlippedSides, and since I've been so lazy, hopefully we'll make a bit of progress. Anyways, yeah. Would it be okay for us to collab on a level?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Sure he can help.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

It's totally fine man, as long as you essentially take responsibility for brining the level here and all that. If you want him to be credited just mention that at the end when you'll do your final submission.
Dr00desu

Post by Dr00desu »

Hey guys,

I guess the last couple times I posted this, it got lost in the thread. I lost my level back in July when someone broke into my house and stole the flash drive I had it stored on.

I probably could have restored it 50 times by now but I'm sure someone else could take ol' 01B and do something niftier with it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Wow. So many people have lost levels to computer crashes. Did that happen as much as it's happening for this project?
ZOMG IT'S Y2k!!!
raocow

Post by raocow »

you can strike off Fossul, he just commented in the head's up 2 video that he doesn't have any drive for hacking at all anymore.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

This is just getting depressing. Although, he was probably just one of those people that wanted to be in a hack with bigger hackers or something.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Don't worry, my head's up :)

My recent post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQWV98O5S0

I've made some changes since that video:
-Made it so you have to collect 25 coins per sublevel to warp to the next (for a total of 4 sublevels, and 100 coins)
-I completely changed the layout of the first sublevel (autumn screen) by removing pipes and adding more enemies

I'm having a little problems with inserting the coin teleport generator that I got off of SMWCentral. Can anyone direct me to a good place where I can learn how to properly insert generators?

I also mentioned another idea for a separate level. Well, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGppbZGLB4

*I'm about 1/4 of the way done with my original level. I'm trying to work on it as much as I can, but with school and work I'm having some minor setbacks. But I'll post when I've made some significant progress.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I actually really like that pitfall idea.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

hahahahha thanks Limepie :D

lately, no one's really liked any of the ideas I've been throwing out, so it feels really good to have someone like it :D
Spicycytrus

Post by Spicycytrus »

Sorry, I have too much to do and I can't continue with my level. Sorry! :'(
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

You know what?
I did say (back in like June of 2010) That I wasn't going to continue, but I'll go ahead and
make a level... *sniffle* sorry raocow. =(

Keep the level open! I'm here now!!!!!

~PacoStudio8

=3
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Hey "yo"...
I understand that I signed up for a level a long time ago.
I still want to have the opportunity to put my level in this hack.
It's about 2/3 done and I haven't worked on it in a while.
I understand that twoheadedyoshi talked to tails a while ago and tails said he couldn't finish it for me, so I can't promise it'll be good quality.
So, thanks for the reminder, again.
I'll try to work on it when I get the time.

So does that count as a "yo"?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yoshi987 wrote:So does that count as a "yo"?
Yes, we just need to know that you are still here and working on the project.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Schnurmanator wrote:I also mentioned another idea for a separate level. Well, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGppbZGLB4
I prefer that to the seasons one.
raocow

Post by raocow »

By the time you're done with the first, once it's cleared and submitted, if there's an empty slot at that time, there shouldn't be any problems in making a second level.
arnpoly

Post by arnpoly »

I apologize for not having any progress to show on my stage. I really would still like to take a crack at it, but I'm just not 100% sure that I'm going to have the motivation to make any significant progress. I'd like to take a couple of weeks and see if I can get something going, so by then I'll either have something to show off or I'll give back my stage. I hope that's enough to go on for now. Thanks much for your patience with us!
raocow

Post by raocow »

Two things:

First, a reminder that anyone blue (and a few extras noted in the op) can clear, in the clearing thread - it's a little unfair to put that whole burden on FoD, and at the same time a little unfair for those in clearing to have them wait after FoD, haha!

Second: now that we have open level slot, would someone be willing to take the level Kil uploaded to this thread some time in the past, and polish it up to be finished? I think that would be pretty rad.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

So now that I know how slow things have really been till now, is what I have here any good level design wise? Is it good enough to submit as is (I feel like it's... short), should I expand it/storten parts, is it fun/hard/boring/easy, do the gfx clash?

Should I finish this?

Please don't only look at the good stuff, be mean or something.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

chdata wrote:So now that I know how slow things have really been till now, is what I have here any good level design wise? Is it good enough to submit as is (I feel like it's... short), should I expand it/storten parts, is it fun/hard/boring/easy, do the gfx clash?

Should I finish this?

Please don't only look at the good stuff, be mean or something.
What are we looking at? The ghost house, or all 3 levels?
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

@chdata
I played your level. The best word to describe it is 'weird'. I thought the difficulty was annoying, but this was sort counter-balanced by the fact that the level was short, so you don't really lose much when you die. Why it was annoying: 1HP + no healing + a lot spin jump-proof enemies + there is no way to beat most of the enemies + ice that makes everything in this level harder + a lot of jumps where you need to build up and keep momentum onto a platform that is surrounded by danger. None of these things alone is really that annoying its the mix that got me killed a lot. My suggestion(although I can't officially approve a level): change only one or two of the things above (my favorite way would be to find a way to make the ice physics somehow useful in this level instead of just getting in your way). However, despite all this, once I figured out what to do simply beating (skiping the dragon coins) it ran relatively smooth. Other issues/weird things: I am confused by the purpose of the pipe at the beginning. The fuzzies can sometimes jump through the ceiling. I only found 4 dragon coins. Also, there is absolutely no challenge once you get to your 'fake pit' for the rest of the level. On the plus side, the programing that went into this level was amazing.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Cup

Post by Cup »

Alright, so I have something that I hope will turn out to be pretty special, but first a short story. Months ago I was lurking this thread and was amazed at the incredible amount of polish Chdata did on several sprites for his level. Naturally I was distraught when I learned he wasn't going to be continuing, so I contacted him asking if there was any grease work I could do or help with to try and get those sprites into a2mt. He told me he was losing interest in level building, but if I wanted to take up the task he would be willing to help on the asm side.

So that is what we did. And I really think we've got something neat in the works.

While I am the one who actually made the level, it is in no way only mine. Chdata, raocow, and Wyatt all played a huge role. Chdata with asm, raocow with an amazing drawing of Demo, and Wyatt with both making probably my favorite port ever for the first section and taking me under his tutelage so I was able to make the second port in the level. Hopefully I can get as much feedback as possible to make this something really memorable, because will all these resources the potential is definitely there.

But tl;dr, here's a level to test.

Quick notes
Basically there are a few things on my list to fix, but I'll keep them to myself because it'd be good to know what gets mentioned naturally. There is a lot of new asm, so keep your eyes peeled for bugs. There will be a midpoint when you reach the inside. It's not there yet, because I've yet to patch my rom for multiple midpoints, so just make yourself a savestate when ya get there. The final door will hopefully lead to a boss, but it hasn't been made yet, so there's nothing further to test for now. Also there are a few more original sprites I hope to add, so if any sections feels a bit uninspired it's probably because there will be a new sprite there.

Here is the ips.
And here is a video.

Please do not watch the video if you have any plans to test the level, but if you know you'll never try playing the level itself, feel free to watch. Any feedback is good feedback.

Also it seems Chdata has renewed interest in continuing the level that started this whole thing off. He hasn't mentioned anything to me, but with this level as far along as it is and so many people involved, I'd feel pretty bad scrapping it. :? But we already have another touhou reference and they are Chdata's sprites, so if he feels like working on it, I will gladly step aside.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Cup:
There are already more levels with Touhou influences; like using the same houses.
EDIT: oh wait, that's your level.. (Eh?)
But I don't think it's too much of an issue as long as the level is unique. Heck, we can make one world be Touhou themed if we want to. It beats the average ice world

Any reason why the sidebar is only in the first room? I have no Touhou experience so maybe it's only in one game?
Also, I reckon it's to much to ask that when Demo gets hit, the sidebar image actually changes to a small Demo as well? Yes, I do know that much about Touhou.

The stairs in the second sublevel are a bit confusing because of the angle they are in and the rest of the level is just 2D. The player will understand, but it's not the best way of handling things, I think.

As for the gameplay; it looks pretty good. I can't judge it that good without playing it myself, but I got some controller problems so I'm not able to.
But the fact that you can't touch the fuzzies should make the level a bit more difficult. Which is good as it looks a bit on the easy side.