(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Cup

Re: Testing and Development - First post, update about respo

Post by Cup »

Haha tatanga I love it. Space zone was one of my favorites. It's very nostalgic.

I can't imagine playing a space zond level though without at least a short zero gravity section ala 6-2. If you have the inspiration to do a sub level with whatever patch that it is that we see all the time now (Cirno's computer/ASMT yellow switch palace/etc) I think it'd take your level from very cool to amazing. God I remember spending hours trying to beat the real Tatanga as a kid(Oh I never realized that was what your name referenced... wow I'm on top of it). It wouldn't be possible to work on a boss fight remake to end the level with would it?

The music is a must though. I don't know how you can get a hold of a slot, but an exception must be made. Maybe as people drop levels something will clear up. Is there a reserve list for this sort of thing?

But wow, that level tickles my fancy. I'd offer to help make a boss but I'm very sorry to say I won't have the time to do you justice for at least another month. If I get anything to show you though, and if your interested I'll send you something.

Edit: Now that I think about the physics were a little different, you float by holding A not with the direction pad. I think I remember seeing something of the sort already made but from what I know of ASM it won't be very hard to make a new one. I'm still going to suggest you go to the ASM thread for this stuff though if you don't want to make it yourself since those guys are much more capable then I am.
Last edited by Cup 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

HarmfulGravemind wrote:GanonTEK
How about the fallowing. The FG completely in an orange like shape and the bg grayish (unchanged).
I think you should try to make the cement blocks also orange. And also those wired things that I don't know what they do (they probably hurt) should be orange. At least to see how it would look like.
oh those weird things teleport you. I forget if i mention that in a text box... i'll check.
Thanks for the input... I think I'll go with the gray though as it goes more with the overall theme of the
castle. I like your idea though :) thanks again!
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Paralars wrote:VideoGuy: It's really good, but I thought there was some fight with the goal sphere at the end? Whatever.
It is pretty good, except it looks stupid when Demo walks against the wall in the end after collecting the goal sphere.
And furthermore, it's a bit stupid to have a ceiling above you that you don't see.
A tiny issue is maybe that one tile before the growing pipe you get somewhat stuck with the slope until you press left.
But apart from that it is really funny
I suppose I could add a fight. I was originally going to just send it in as-is because I thought I'd be busy making actual game bosses, but there hasn't been a lot going on in that thread, so I might add one to mine.

Also ceiling and end have been fixed.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

I'll update the sheet and list in a little while. I'm just sort of in a 'blah' state atm so not really able to focus on anything.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Cup wrote:Haha tatanga I love it. Space zone was one of my favorites. It's very nostalgic.

I can't imagine playing a space zond level though without at least a short zero gravity section ala 6-2. If you have the inspiration to do a sub level with whatever patch that it is that we see all the time now (Cirno's computer/ASMT yellow switch palace/etc) I think it'd take your level from very cool to amazing. God I remember spending hours trying to beat the real Tatanga as a kid(Oh I never realized that was what your name referenced... wow I'm on top of it). It wouldn't be possible to work on a boss fight remake to end the level with would it?

The music is a must though. I don't know how you can get a hold of a slot, but an exception must be made. Maybe as people drop levels something will clear up. Is there a reserve list for this sort of thing?

But wow, that level tickles my fancy. I'd offer to help make a boss but I'm very sorry to say I won't have the time to do you justice for at least another month. If I get anything to show you though, and if your interested I'll send you something.

Edit: Now that I think about the physics were a little different, you float by holding A not with the direction pad. I think I remember seeing something of the sort already made but from what I know of ASM it won't be very hard to make a new one. I'm still going to suggest you go to the ASM thread for this stuff though if you don't want to make it yourself since those guys are much more capable then I am.
Thanks a ton for the detailed review. I've been a fan of the Super Mario Land series for as long as I remember (he is my favourite mario villain). I felt that the second area was somewhat lacking compared to the first, so I think I'll take your suggestion and scrap that area as well as design a new one. The low gravity idea is excellent as well. If you are interested in a boss of I'll definitely be interested.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

For my personal reference. Updated the list up to this point.
LucarioPK

Post by LucarioPK »

Guys, I'm not a contributor to the collab., but I do lurk these topics all the time, and I have a piece of advice. Judging by how negative the reaction was to those crazy landmasses in the Vanilla Contest, is there any way you guys could have it so that they're not so extreme? It's not asking much, but in the end it IS up to you...

It's just my recommendation.
Hi!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The good thing about A2MT though is that, unlike the Vanilla Contest, it's .. not vanilla. Many people will just use custom graphics in the place of the originals, so they won't need to litter their level with landmasses to make it decorative.

...or at least, I would hope they wouldn't need to do that.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

LucarioPK wrote:Guys, I'm not a contributor to the collab., but I do lurk these topics all the time, and I have a piece of advice. Judging by how negative the reaction was to those crazy landmasses in the Vanilla Contest, is there any way you guys could have it so that they're not so extreme? It's not asking much, but in the end it IS up to you...

I agree. I don't have any of in my level, but I think some others might. Hopefully we'll only get a few from Tails_155, and that's it. They're okay in extreme moderation, but the amount that's been flowing in lately is really distressing.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

LucarioPK wrote:Guys, I'm not a contributor to the collab., but I do lurk these topics all the time, and I have a piece of advice. Judging by how negative the reaction was to those crazy landmasses in the Vanilla Contest, is there any way you guys could have it so that they're not so extreme? It's not asking much, but in the end it IS up to you...

tatanga wrote: I agree. I don't have any of in my level, but I think some others might. Hopefully we'll only get a few from Tails_155, and that's it. They're okay in extreme moderation, but the amount that's been flowing in lately is really distressing.
I'unno. I think that it shows more dedication to the level than just a flat thing. If someone is using totally vanilla it better not be totally plain, it needn't be wacky and all, but the only reason the reception was negative that I can see is because it went from fancy to... almost wild... it's hard, but not impossible to monitor, and it takes more than fancy landmasses to make a good level anyway.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

Tails_155 wrote:

tatanga wrote: I agree. I don't have any of in my level, but I think some others might. Hopefully we'll only get a few from Tails_155, and that's it. They're okay in extreme moderation, but the amount that's been flowing in lately is really distressing.
I'unno. I think that it shows more dedication to the level than just a flat thing. If someone is using totally vanilla it better not be totally plain, it needn't be wacky and all, but the only reason the reception was negative that I can see is because it went from fancy to... almost wild... it's hard, but not impossible to monitor, and it takes more than fancy landmasses to make a good level anyway.
The way I think of it, first design just the level, then add the landmasses for aesthetics. :/.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

let's just mind that not every dirt tile has to be replaced by a slope or corner tile^^
But fancy landmasses can be used as a gameplay element and not just a look-at-it element, so I think If it actually is part of the level in a sensible way, those landmasses can make a level much more interesting.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Of course, level design and level aesthetic are different, it can be pretty and impossible/bland... I know firsthand.
Pikerchu13

Post by Pikerchu13 »

Knowledge is a gift, and it's the only gift I'm not giving! :ugeek:
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I really like it I'm just afraid it'll be hard to tell the difference between bg and fg. Also there are some boring parts that need enemies.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Once again... opening my level to the public... one of these days I'll find someone to help... ._.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

limepie20 wrote:I really like it I'm just afraid it'll be hard to tell the difference between bg and fg. Also there are some boring parts that need enemies.
It needs quite a bit more, I thought >I< made linear levels.
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

Okay, so my last update spawned some conversation about capes breaking puzzles, so I went ahead and redesigned the one place that requires a cape and with that replaced all cape blocks from the level with other blocks. Do you think this is fine?
chestplace_redesign.png
chestplace_redesign.png (91.22 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Add: Okay, I need to remove the old chest place, of course. ;)
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

I'm debating moving the secret exit to the other screen that confused FoD.

Also decided to change the vines palette to make them more "decaying" looking. Might also just change the palettes on the blocks if I think it'll make the level as a whole look better.
Made one jump semi more annoying, deleted one block near the "stairs".

I really shot myself in the foot going for a space level.

Also I'm considering using an ExGFX I think it is to change the Magikoopa sprite to something else. The llama is really fucking random.

Also removed the annoying as all hell one up (it required you carried a shell through several jumps and collected most of the coins in the level up to that point), I deleted that
and made it possible to jump over the goal post again and put the 1 up back there
Made each coin slightly more difficult to get. Now to test if it works as I intended.

Also is there a way I can with ASM make the player start small and remove any powerup in the hold box. Honestly that seems to make the intro to the level to easy considering I'm giving you one like 4 seconds in.

PS: All rope tiles, and mushroom tiles look "EW" out of their default palettes. I really limited myself with a space level.

Anyone know what tile we're using for the chest?
I'll just add that in.

It's quite a bit harder now. And yes I barely managed to beat it without tools x.x
Attachments
SSN.rar
(226.6 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by LightSlei 13 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well heres the next update. Lots of minor bug fixes and palette edits. Also, I finally exanimated the on/off blocks which look awesome. And I'm trying out a new music combination. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
134V16.1.zip
super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super
(284.01 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

Limepe I'll trade ya. You do mine and I'll do yours. I'll update this post in a few.

I hate that fucking thwimp in the beginning x.x.

First screen maybe consider making the platform 1 tile wider on each side. Atm it feels very kaizo-ish to me.

I highly doubt you tested this without tools.

Is that door a reset door? Why does it kill me without any indication? There's no message like "YOU WILL FALL THROUGH THE TILE THIS DOOR IS ON".

There's a lot of pinpoint jumps

Graphically it's beautiful, difficulty feels like kaizo crap to me. I can't get past that door because it's impossible for me w/o tools to get the p switch.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

@limepie20:

This level is special world/A2MT VoidWord-equivalent style of difficulty and gimmick. And for doing that I applaud you. The first half of your level was really fun, albeit pretty hard.

The invisible note block at the beginning is a bit Kaizo-esque. I think the two thwomps are enough of a surprise at the beginning.

I like the second part of the first area, with the tofo blocks. HOWEVER the tofu man graphic was a bit counter-intuitive, so I'd recommend changing that to something else. I like the idea though.

I don't know if this is something you can fix, but if I'm big and I walk into a tofo block to the left of me, I can walk through it. That's probably not intentional.

As for the second part...I should probably note that I hate any game mechanic that messes with your controls. So as you may guess I wasn't a huge fan of this. Really difficult here, but once I got used to it, it was okay.

Part 3 (post ghost) Same complaint with the tofo block.

That's as far as I've gotten, as it's too late to continue, but I think you did a really good job with this. The sadist in me is looking forward to seeing raocow play this, although the normal person says you may want to tone down the difficulty a bit.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Tails_155 wrote:I'unno. I think that it shows more dedication to the level than just a flat thing. If someone is using totally vanilla it better not be totally plain, it needn't be wacky and all, but the only reason the reception was negative that I can see is because it went from fancy to... almost wild... it's hard, but not impossible to monitor, and it takes more than fancy landmasses to make a good level anyway.
Well, I like the ones that you make, but some other people's ones just seem... bizarre. Besides, I think many of the areas in the original Super Mario World looked unique and special even without lots of fancy tile shenanigans. I'm not saying that they're bad, just... I think they should be used in moderation.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

LightSlei wrote: I highly doubt you tested this without tools.
Actually I can get all 5 d coins, the chest and win all in one run without tools. I promise its possible.

edit - I liked your level. It looked really nice but was hard. Also, I couldn't find the secret exit if there is one and i couldn't find out what to do with the p. Does it require the yellow switch palace? And i think the bullet bill at the beginning is unfair but its also funny and with some reflexes it should be dodgable. I didn't really find any bugs and yeah i think changing the gfx of the magikoopa will work really good with your level.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

limepie20 wrote:
LightSlei wrote: I highly doubt you tested this without tools.
Actually I can get all 5 d coins, the chest and win all in one run without tools. I promise its possible.

edit - I liked your level. It looked really nice but was hard. Also, I couldn't find the secret exit if there is one and i couldn't find out what to do with the p. Does it require the yellow switch palace? And i think the bullet bill at the beginning is unfair but its also funny and with some reflexes it should be dodgable. I didn't really find any bugs and yeah i think changing the gfx of the magikoopa will work really good with your level.
The P Switch opens the path to the chest. Y'know where the 4th Dragon Coin is? The two blocks on top of the coin, they guard it.
Yellow Switch Palace blocks go back to the idea that they are supposed to be used to be helpful somewhat.

I placed the bullet bill at the beginning in order to make the player
over-react to the rest of the level, "where the hell is the next ambush?"
Anyone think if I switch magikoopa back to black mage there'd be an outcry/problem? It makes more sense than an Ostrich, or a Miner. Although the YI Baseball Pitcher is still a possibility.
Switch the magic sprite with 3 baseballs that move at the same speed as the normal magic, quantity means he throws slower :p
Also no secret exit in my level, it has 2 by default, I have no clue how to change it on the OW.
Last edited by LightSlei 13 years ago, edited 3 times in total.