(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by Paralars »

the music restarts at the start of the second room of the first half, but it doesn't on entering all the other rooms.
The tofu block "bounce" graphics are note blocks.

Other than that, it looks really impressive.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky:
Sorry it took so long to test this. I've had less free time this week.

I like the new background for the vanilla level. I still think the lava's palette (mostly the edges) should be fixed.

That's all I got. Were new levels supposed to be accessible because I couldn't find them.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Hey guys, I've got some good news and some bad news. First the bad. I've not had internet for awhile and I may not for awhile as well. I'll have it for a day or two but then I'll have to wait for an unknown amount of time.

For the good news: I'm about done with ten sections now, 8 are already complete. Just finishing up the last two, should be done by tonight or tomorrow! I've had plenty of time to work on the level so things progressed even with the lack of internet. I've started organizing resources so that I can upload all of my files tonight encase something happens to the net.

This is how things will work: First hub will be two doors with two sections each, 2nd hub will be 3 doors with 2 sections each. I've already changed the second hub pretty drastically and things are looking good!
Other rooms have been edited as well, namely the following thwomp room. It looks MUCH better now. So it should be fun and look great!

I changed that thwomp levels place as well, it'll be in the second hub and a new room already replaces it after the 'vanilla" level.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky wrote:I'm about done with ten sections now, 8 are already complete.
Wow, you are really doing great work. Thanks for your continued work on this! I'm excited to see what you've done.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:
Franky wrote:I'm about done with ten sections now, 8 are already complete.
Wow, you are really doing great work. Thanks for your continued work on this! I'm excited to see what you've done.
Heh heh..
I've created a few custom level palettes for these last sections. Well actually I've already finished a section with a custom palette (completely, even enemies!) and the last two sections are also custom. They look wonderful! Also had to throw an abstract level in there. Figures it turns out to be pretty intense. But it will get raocow laughing guaranteed. This final level is going to be amazing!

As for both of the problems you two reported while I was gone, I'll make sure to fix those. I wasn't worried about the note block thing though, as it can be fixed later. Instead that time went into more level makin'

Enough talking though for me, time to go get an IPS for yall to play while I finalize these last two sections. They only need 3-4 screens each to be completed! Time to get to work! Muwhaha.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Alright guys, here's 8 doors to test while I finish the last two tonight!

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... Bdoors.ips

I've not fixed the noteblock thing yet, it's so minor at this point I don't want it to distract me. Thanks for bringing it up though, I knew one day it'd have to be fixed.
It's crazy that I've only actually used one background, the rest use vanilla backgrounds (though I've edited some of them in a few ways) fixed the snow outline though!

Test away! :mrgreen: See ya shortly.

NOTE: The top middle door in the second hub leads to the unfinished rooms I am still working on. You can only see a bit of one for the moment.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Well guys it turns out the internet will be cut off tomorrow and I'm not sure when it will be back on. The 9th section will be done in a couple hours and the 10th sometime tonight. This means that I wont be online to hear feedback or any of that tomorrow. I'll have all day and night to sit down and do this though. I've already been working on it for a couple hours now on and off. Haven't been awake that long.

Though even if you guys need to fix one or two small things that shouldn't be a problem because I will upload all of my resources and stuff tonight as well. There may be small edits someone else might need to do, but they will be so minor that any of the hack moderators should be able to do it quite easily. For example: The only custom imported background I used may need to be switched to a different bank. I'm lost in that area so I loaded the map16 graphics to a random slot at that time.
My objective is to get the 10 sections complete and online before tomorrow which I will do. These last sections wont really have many problems I can tell you that. My resources are already in a folder for the most part as well.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky:
I think the exit door in the phanto room looks weird. Maybe you could just have some blocks to hit instead of a floating door. I still really think the stuff you can walk through need s a different palette. Also, the midpoint bar should be more conspicuous. Time should definitely be 0.

Shell room:
It is very confusing as to where the shell will fall down when you're on the net especially because the status bar obscures it.

Neon lines room:
I couldn't tell that the pac-man ghosts were dolphins at first. I thought they were podoboos. You should have the player start on one or something.

Red room:
Gosh, I wish there was a way that you could tell what kind of thwomp a thwomp was before it starts moving. That would really help the level because some parts feel unfair without it. You should try to alleviate that.

Fishin' boo room:
It just cuts off sometime through. Was that unintentional or is it unfinished? Well it seems good so far.

Now, I haven't played any of these savestateless two rooms in a row, so I don't know if it will be too difficult to play one after another. If it is, more powerups could probably fix that.

Also, hey no worries about not having internet. You're doing extremely well.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Shell room: I noticed that myself. I'll fix that.

Neon lines room: I thought the coins above it were enough to know you'd have to go up there and the lava wouldn't be a very good platform. I can probably start demo off on one though. Might be tricky but I'll see what I can do. You're supposed to rush at the start due to the arrow so you may not have time for that.

Fishin' boo room: Here is something from the post with the IPS:
"NOTE: The top middle door in the second hub leads to the unfinished rooms I am still working on. You can only see a bit of one for the moment"

Red room: I thought I did a pretty good job setting it up so you can take the time to see which type of thwomp is which. I can do that whole section savestateless pretty easily while still acting like I don't know which thwomps are which. lol

Also Limepie: When my net goes off you guys can make any changes you like to make it easier if needed. Other changes can also be made. I can only do as much as I can with the remaining time but I will try my best to fix all of those problems. It has to pass one way or another! And I don't want this project on hold much longer.

By the way, there's a new section after the "vanilla level" did you play that as well? I moved the homing thwomp level to the second hub and updated it. And replaced it with a new section.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky wrote: Red room: I thought I did a pretty good job setting it up so you can take the time to see which type of thwomp is which. I can do that whole section savestateless pretty easily while still acting like I don't know which thwomps are which. lol
You probably did do a good job, but it's more of my gameplay style. I'm used to dodging the thwomp right after it starts moving rather than waiting to see what type it is. It would probably end up being fine if you left it.
By the way, there's a new section after the "vanilla level" did you play that as well? I moved the homing thwomp level to the second hub and updated it. And replaced it with a new section.
Oh, whoops. Didn't play that. I'll try to tomorrow.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

No problem Limpie.

Edit: I've fixed the walkthrough dirt tiles and they look really good and it's much easier to see where you can go. Also fixed the abstract level so that you start on a dolphin. It was actually very easy with how I had the level laid out.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I'm thinking we will go with 3x3. This means 3 hubs with 3 doors each. Each hub will be more progressed then the other. I've already done all that though I'm just finalizing the 9th section now. I'm scrapping the fishin' boo level though. That gimmick is hard to work with because of how the boo moves and how it interacts with the sprites. Many will disappear when mixed with it. And after today I may not have net for months! So I'm focusing on fixing and finishing things! Wyatt said he may not be able to get the song done for a couple months but that shouldn't be a problem. The current song is fine until the level is complete. Then you guys can simply switch the songs out if I am not online. I'll only be able to check messages on a phone, nothing else.

Last night I started fixing known problems and re arranging rooms and such for the 3 hubs. This should make it easier to do them savestateless. There could be a midwaypoint in the second or 3rd hub if needed as well. As I said, you guys can make any changes you like. Just make sure to make it known so people know what I didn't do.

Back to work for me though, just updating ya'll.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Man, it's pretty generous of you to use your last internet time for a while on this. I.. I just wanted to take the time to say thanks!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

raocow wrote:Man, it's pretty generous of you to use your last internet time for a while on this. I.. I just wanted to take the time to say thanks!
I've also been sick as a dog through this whole thing as well lol

Finally getting better though! No problem raocow, I came to this project to help you in the beginning when you made that video. When no one was doing anything. I had to do something.
:D
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Man, I have to agree with Mr. The raocow! You're doing a really great job helping out, and I think the level's looking pretty great, and I'd like to say thanks a lot, though I'm not exactly a 'higher-up' on this project so it might be a little weird to do so :I

But geez, no net for months? I would go literally insane if I had to deal with that.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

It's fine with me, my only focus is getting the project done. Speaking of that..

I'm done now. I need to get the resources and stuff ready though so I need to go check that thread. I'll still have all night to fix bugs but I'd like to get this stuff online just encase! So I'm going to grab something to eat and do that!
:)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

The Final level is done.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... kyC253.ips

The order of the doors can be changed and powerups moved or removed. Also do you guys plan to use that unlimited sprite patch? Not that it's needed but it may be something.

Could someone link me to the post that explain how all of my resources should look and what they need to be. I've tried to keep things organized so this process wont be too bad. If not here they are:

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... ources.zip
:P

I'm sure there may be things that need to be fixed but they will be so minor that if I am not here to hear of them a hack moderator should be able to do those things. I mean like adding powerups or other tiny things you guys find. I doubt there will be any major problems with these other sections! maybe room EC. Spoiler: Red ghost house with kin.. Though I doubt that as I've tested it even more so!

Edit: Time limit now 0. I've tested my IPS patch and all doors and things work great. raocow is lucky he gets to play it blind lol I quite enjoy it myself! I've never made a final level before in SMW1
I also like the ASMT graphics, they were fun to work with. :D

You'll find some left over powerups I might have been using to test. they can stay or be removed. Also someone may need to fix the music resetting problem(s) I'm still not that experienced with lunar magic. lol I have a lot to learn as odd as that may sound. Some reset pipes reset the music, I know someone can easily fix that though. There will only be tiny problems like that!
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I haven't had time to play any earlier iterations, so here's my feedback all at once!

1-1 (statue):
Difficulty: 4 (Hardest of the 1st set)
-What up with the bar that says "testing"? Why can't I stand on it?
I really like the layer 2 platform sections near the end :)

1-2 (chuck):
Difficulty: 2
-The blind fall below the baseball chuck is mean, make it safe.
-The reset door should use reset door graphics.
-If you have bad luck at the bouncing football section, you'll be forced to get hit.
-There are four powerups here. Four! I'd suggest removing the first one and changing the fourth one to a 1-up.

1-3 (snow)
Difficulty: 3
This one's really fun!
-It's worth noting that I got through this ok without the yellow switch. I'd suggest removing the first switch block.

2-1 (ghost)
Difficulty: 6
This one's pretty tough!

2-2 (phanto)
Difficulty: 5
-Pass-through bricks and solid bricks are hard to distinguish in the heat of the moment.
-You can get stuck at the very and and have to reset.
Other than that this one's solid!

2-3: (disco)
Difficulty: 9 (Hardest of the 2nd set BY FAR)
-My first time in I tried to spinjump over that first lava pit. Demo didn't jump and I died. Can you make it so that pressing spinjump makes you just jump normally?
-This area's really tense, and boy is it rewarding to complete! But nobody in their right mind would play it when they can choose the other doors. And I consider myself good at manoeuvring around disco shells. I almost think this one should skip the player past the 3rd set of doors. If you think that's too much, at least give out a cape at the end or something.

3-1 (ice thwomp)
Difficulty: 1
I love this room!
-Maybe I got lucky, but it seemed much easier than the other two. This seems easier than the video I saw way back when: maybe it's ok to remove that powerup I told you to add.

3-2
Difficulty: 7 (3 without end ending bit)
-The 3 podobos in the lava are tedious to deal with, can you remove one?
I absolutely love the koopa hopping section :D
-The ending bit is too hard though, controlling a spinjump under that low a ceiling is too much to ask. I'd say remove the end bit entirely.

3-3
Difficulty: 4
Good job on this one!

General advice:
-You should use the default graphic for solid-to-demo blocks, right now some areas that use them are confusing.

IMO the difficulty's totally perfect with no midpoint at all: I played through a couple different paths toolless and had a lot of fun. Right now my preferred path is 1-2, 2-2, 3-1. If you take my advice then I think every path will be pretty evenly balanced, except for ones that involve 1-1 and 2-3. If you can't think of better ways to change those two, just chuck in powerups or something.

Er, I guess you don't have internet! Well if you can't edit your levels, I'd still like to know what you (and others) think of my critique. Someone else (possibly me) can always make edits if necessary!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

@Wyatt: I got lucky and I'll still have the internet for tonight. Since you are the levels song creator I am fine with making the edits you speak of. The level should fit very well with the song and if it gives you added motivation to finish it this wouldn't be a problem for me. I'll do as much as I can but if anything is left out you are free to make those edits. Any of the hack moderators have my permission.

That testing thing is just a little popup message for fun. You don't actually need to jump on it. It can be removed if needed.

I'm glad you had fun, I also love the Koopa jumping part, because it's simple to do but still fun and challenging enough to keep your attention. I'm glad to hear that homing thwomp level wasn't as hard for you. Remember how I said it's not as hard as it looks? :P

@Alex2: I don't remember the name, I just said that instead of wasting time researching the actual name. On top of that things were pretty hectic yesterday so you can't expect me to be on point. I managed to get things done but I wasn't "all there" for most of it. :)
But in other words, that sprite patch would be useful for a part where one sprite may disappear, but wouldn't cause slowdown otherwise.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Wyatt wrote:I haven't had time to play any earlier iterations, so here's my feedback all at once!

1-1 (statue):
Difficulty: 4 (Hardest of the 1st set)
-What up with the bar that says "testing"? Why can't I stand on it?
I really like the layer 2 platform sections near the end :)

1-2 (chuck):
Difficulty: 2
-The blind fall below the baseball chuck is mean, make it safe.
-The reset door should use reset door graphics.
-If you have bad luck at the bouncing football section, you'll be forced to get hit.
-There are four powerups here. Four! I'd suggest removing the first one and changing the fourth one to a 1-up.

1-3 (snow)
Difficulty: 3
This one's really fun!
-It's worth noting that I got through this ok without the yellow switch. I'd suggest removing the first switch block.

2-1 (ghost)
Difficulty: 6
This one's pretty tough!

2-2 (phanto)
Difficulty: 5
-Pass-through bricks and solid bricks are hard to distinguish in the heat of the moment.
-You can get stuck at the very and and have to reset.
Other than that this one's solid!

2-3: (disco)
Difficulty: 9 (Hardest of the 2nd set BY FAR)
-My first time in I tried to spinjump over that first lava pit. Demo didn't jump and I died. Can you make it so that pressing spinjump makes you just jump normally?
-This area's really tense, and boy is it rewarding to complete! But nobody in their right mind would play it when they can choose the other doors. And I consider myself good at manoeuvring around disco shells. I almost think this one should skip the player past the 3rd set of doors. If you think that's too much, at least give out a cape at the end or something.

3-1 (ice thwomp)
Difficulty: 1
I love this room!
-Maybe I got lucky, but it seemed much easier than the other two. This seems easier than the video I saw way back when: maybe it's ok to remove that powerup I told you to add.

3-2
Difficulty: 7 (3 without end ending bit)
-The 3 podobos in the lava are tedious to deal with, can you remove one?
I absolutely love the koopa hopping section :D
-The ending bit is too hard though, controlling a spinjump under that low a ceiling is too much to ask. I'd say remove the end bit entirely.

3-3
Difficulty: 4
Good job on this one!

General advice:
-You should use the default graphic for solid-to-demo blocks, right now some areas that use them are confusing.

IMO the difficulty's totally perfect with no midpoint at all: I played through a couple different paths toolless and had a lot of fun. Right now my preferred path is 1-2, 2-2, 3-1. If you take my advice then I think every path will be pretty evenly balanced, except for ones that involve 1-1 and 2-3. If you can't think of better ways to change those two, just chuck in powerups or something.

Er, I guess you don't have internet! Well if you can't edit your levels, I'd still like to know what you (and others) think of my critique. Someone else (possibly me) can always make edits if necessary!
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... Recent.ips

I've made changes based on what you posted. I wasn't able to do everything but I did what I could. Little things like the bouncy block animation in the phanto room needs to be changed to the tofu block and a couple exits reset the music. These are probably minor but not my area. I'm lost on them. I made other edits I should be the one doing though! rearranged rooms, made edits and got rid of some powerups. I left a midway point for testing, you and Limepie and whoever is creating the boss can figure out how you'd like it. :P

Edit: I couldn't do the reset door GFX, I have no idea where they are or if they use ExGFX or not. And I can't change some of the walls into the phanto room due to the palette as well. It would ruin the theme.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

It seems I still have the internet for today. That doesn't mean I will be as lucky tomorrow but it does mean I will have all day and (hopefully night) to fix reported problems if anyone does any testing.
:)

It was going to be removed because apparently I use it too much, though in reality I do a lot of offline things but people here don't realize and think I always use the internet. but eh, we'll see!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Lv27MarkerMMan wrote:Based on the suggestions, behold version 3!
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p099criart6l4p ... 3.ips?dl=1
go in the second door in the house level

@Limpie20
about that difficult jump

Is it okay if there are 3 different ways past that part? The podoboo is not the only way across. There are other things you can spin jump on. I think I made things more reasonable in this version.
Err.. I guess those two fireballs that couple at the start could be a problem. I like the idea around these levels with the BG. I kept thinking to myself it'd be cool if demo fought an evil version of herself. But those evil pictures are good enough.

PS: If any of these Sibling hall levels cannot be finished let me know, I wouldn't mind doing one or two. Lv27Markers level didn't seem too bad, I could probably do something like that in an hour or something if really needed!
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Wow. This is an amazing level. I love all the rooms. I just found one flaw. In Level E8 the Bowser statue in screen E does not like being on the same screen as the mace. The body disappears sometimes. I think to fix that the sprite memory has to be changed to "0E" if I am not wrong... PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT THIS IF IT'S WRONG
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Jolpengammler wrote:Wow. This is an amazing level. I love all the rooms. I just found one flaw. In Level E8 the Bowser statue in screen E does not like being on the same screen as the mace. The body disappears sometimes. I think to fix that the sprite memory has to be changed to "0E" if I am not wrong... PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT THIS IF IT'S WRONG
Thanks buddy I will fix that :D
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Videos up!

Middle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xg4fobIm0g

Left: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDAqLcTEoU

Right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbVBsgCT7r8

NOTE: I rushed and messed around which made things look MUCH harder, play the IPS for yourself to see how it is ingame for you.