(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
RomHaxMax

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by RomHaxMax »

raocow wrote:Wait, you mean autoscroll speeds? You need to exit and return for that, you can't go directly from one speed to another without exiting somehow first.
In Kaizo Mario 2, in a cave level, they go from slow to medium to fast mid level with no exiting. They just put another generator at the top.
Your Princess is in another castle!
Love Toad
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I see!

However, I can understand why it wouldn't work the other way around. The 'fast autoscroll' is kind of screwy - it won't stop at the level edge nor if you cross the endgoal, it keeps going until it gets at the very very last screen in lunar magic, regardless if there's actual content or not.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kuposan3
doesn't post much
First name: Robin
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kuposan3 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_bcvu40_l0
Here's what I have so far, but there have been a few changes since I made that video. The midpoint will be later since I don't want the stage to be so short, and there's no cape at the end, and one of the jumps is different.

Other than that I thought I should post here to mention that my laptop kind of died so uh, there may be a bit of a delay with the progress here. :(
:trans_pride: :ace_pride:
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

kuposan3 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_bcvu40_l0
Here's what I have so far, but there have been a few changes since I made that video. The midpoint will be later since I don't want the stage to be so short, and there's no cape at the end, and one of the jumps is different.

Other than that I thought I should post here to mention that my laptop kind of died so uh, there may be a bit of a delay with the progress here. :(
Looks pretty nice, i really like the pastel look. You need to fix the level, when u dropped the shell in, it just fell, it didnt melt/explode.

raocow wrote:I see!

However, I can understand why it wouldn't work the other way around. The 'fast autoscroll' is kind of screwy - it won't stop at the level edge nor if you cross the endgoal, it keeps going until it gets at the very very last screen in lunar magic, regardless if there's actual content or not.
It turns out you need to set the number of screens the level will go for the fast scroll to work correctly. Content only has an impact if it is past the set number of screens.
Love Toad
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Argh, trying to post my level here yesterday for some feedback but didn't have the time.
So... How is it?
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Yoshi987 wrote:Argh, trying to post my level here yesterday for some feedback but didn't have the time.
So... How is it?
Not sure how to feel about this level. At a first glance, it's very underwhelming, mainly 'cause it's completely vanilla, and the first screen is too reminiscent of the first screen donut plains 2. But I actually had a lot of fun playing it! Of course, there's a lot that can be improved, so I'll go into detail.

To begin, I'll restate that the regular cave graphics and cave music are boring, especially for your relatively fast-paced level. Find more interesting graphics/palette (don't be afraid to choose something totally different from what you have), and custom music to fit. (Keep in mind that in the final game, P-switches won't interrupt the music like they do now. Pick a song that fits the hectic pace of the p-switch race!) Also, restating again, the very first screen looks like donut plains 2. Mess around with the walls and the row of 4 question blocks so it looks different. Other than that, the first room is pleasant, and I don't have any issues with it.

Now, the meat. The P-switch race. The thing itself is very well-constructed in my opinion. Here are my only criticisms:
-The sublevel feels climactic. It should be the last room of the level!
-If the player really tries and knows whats coming, they can get through in way less time than you've accounted for. On one run, I got to the secret door with a p-switch still in my hand, and this wasn't even a perfect run or anything. What I think would be awesome is to replace the door with a pipe, which leads you to the same "prize room", but with a key and lock in it, walled off so that the key is only accessible if you brought a p-switch from the previous room. Instant secret exit!

The last sublevel...I don't like it. The puzzles are easy, so it comes down to lugging 3 items across a pretty far distance. If you still want there to be a third sublevel, I'd say this one would need a pretty massive overhaul. (And if you do keep it, it should be moved to before the p-switch race, with a midpoint in-between.)

Most importantly, don't feel discouraged! There may be a lot that needs changing, but that's true for every level that gets posted here. So yeah, good luck!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

limepie20 wrote:There is a way to disable cape flight but I don't know tge code for it. You should just search the sprites on smwc. I'm pretty sure it would be a generator.
Sprite D1 - lolfly.cfg - Talkhaus
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
yoshiguy978

Post by yoshiguy978 »

Level01D.png
Level09C.png
Yoshiguy level 1d.zip
Finally fixed all the errors that was pointed out last time.
Posting this here to see if there's some more errors.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

why isn't this sprite in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPdeLGcaZ4

because it certainly should be.
Cup

Post by Cup »

Haha, that's amazing! I'm sending him a pm right away if chdata hasn't already gotten permission to use the sprite (I wouldn't be surprised).

People keep mentioning really neat ideas for that level. The next update should be a major overhaul of awesome thanks to everyone's contributions.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Hi there people with more experience then me; lol
I'm wondering, if I've been given one type of preset level, a castle level, how do I make it have the presets of a cave level?
Might be really basic, but I don't know.. could someone help me out.
Also, do I need a map16 page above page 42 to use as a background? Or can a lower page be used also? And how, if so?
Thanks guys!
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Okay what I would do is just find a cave level already in smw and click on the red poison mushroom, then go to your level and make them all the same. Also, for the background, just go to level then copy background image or something and choose a cave level.
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Oh, crap, I just noticed that giant message on the A2MT site about switching to Lunar Magic 1.82.
I've been making my level in... what, 1.61 or 1.71 or something. Is this going to case any major issues?
ProfessorDemetri

I'm not sure if it'll cause any issues, but just download the newest version, and continue your level with that.
That's what I did.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

It may cause issues if you were using anything below 1.71.
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Oh yeah, no, I was using 1.71. I'll just download 1.82 now...
ProfessorDemetri

I know most of you are probably sick of seeing my face by now lol
But check out the beginning of my second level yo!
Still pretty early, just wanted to show the direction I'm going.
Thoughts?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I've got to say, those graphics are really nice. I especially like the doorway stairs thing. The level isn't much but it looks good so far.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

In regards to LM: you'll only have problems if you attempt to open a ROM that was edited using 1.82 in 1.7/1.6. If you actually DESIGNED your level in an earlier version, you'll be fine simply exporting it.

PD: Demon's Crest, right? I like the graphics, though I'm not sure how fitting they are here. Level skeleton looks alright - it'll be interesting to see it with sprites.
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Another quick question:
Would it be alright to change one of my sublevels to a vertical level without screwing something up, or is it just a no-go?
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

Yoshi987 wrote:Another quick question:
Would it be alright to change one of my sublevels to a vertical level without screwing something up, or is it just a no-go?
you can do pretty much anything to your levels and sublevels
Love Toad
ProfessorDemetri

OH HAI GUISE!
Another update, now with more flesh on the bones.
This is the first half of my level, oh man.
For the random rooms off in the darkness, you'll be able to go into them and get prizes! ^_^
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Daarkbuu wrote:
why isn't this sprite in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPdeLGcaZ4

because it certainly should be.
If that's the giant puffball that moves back and forth and spawns 4 small ones, I actually sent MarioE the stuff I had and requested him to finish it (movement routine, spawning sprites, and flipping the gfx routine), however there is still a major glitch with his movement routine. At the time I didn't know how I would set up an accelarating/speed flipping movement routine or 32x32 gfx routine that flips around.

(I'm not sure if that's what the video is, my youtube is down).

By the way, your blue parrot coin with the yellow flashing background: You can disable that yellow glow and replace it with a static blue one you know? New LM lets you do that.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
ProfessorDemetri

I actually like the glow.
Is there a way to replace the yellow flashing with a blue flashing?
Now that would be cool lol :ugeek:
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:I actually like the glow.
Is there a way to replace the yellow flashing with a blue flashing?
Now that would be cool lol :ugeek:
yeah, go to the animation tool and use pallet rotate on pallet 6 or whichever pallet the doors are using
Love Toad