(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Cup

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by Cup »

I made that level look a LOT easier than it is. One of many reasons why I prefer people to play instead of watch. Keep in mind I have played parts of this level a lot more than once or twice, and know the optimal ways to handle each obstacle. I died many, many times while testing before I arrived at this style that gets me through the level almost every time, and even here I almost made one to many mistakes! Also, as soon as Chdata or I can get the other sprites I want up and running, it will increase the difficulty in what currently look like easy sections. And after all that, there's a boss. Don't know what the boss will be yet, but it's touhou so expect lot's of projectiles. But it's not difficult to make it harder if the people demand it. Quite easy in fact. The question is why would I want to? I'd be looking for specific examples and well reasoned arguments if I'm going to raise the difficulty, because that is a very fine line.

Mario World does have its limitations. The sidebar is done with some level asm and layer two. I can't keep it for the rest of the level because everything would need to be auto-scrolling with wonky boat physics. The biggest problem with changing the picture is that there isn't enough space for two tilesets that size. Map8 is only so big and every single graphic in this level is exgfx (the boxes in the house will be changed, but I may have to make customs blocks and animations specifically for that so it doesn't change back to the vanilla box when hit. Don't know if there's an easier way or not yet). I know you can program gfx into the rom outside of lunar magic, but it's far beyond me. That said, it would be very nice if I could make a dynamic sidebar.

The stairs are like that in the game referenced, and for this particular issue, I'd like to stay true to source. I'll keep it in mind though, because the stairs were mentioned once before.

And haha, yeah that's my level. I have no problem reusing those gfx, because it is used in a very different context here (and they took forever to draw and resize! So I'm unashamed of milking them for a little extra mileage when appropriate).

But thanks for taking a look. I'll see what can be done about that side bar, but short of reprogramming the whole game, it could prove to be difficult to pull of any other way.
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

@chdata:
The sprites are awesome and so on.. But I don't see why you can't jump or spinjump on them. I would say that if you make them more like in Super Marisa World where you can jump on them and move them around, they can be used in many more ways. (Like moving them around for parrot-coin collecting..)

It is a bit short, yes, but with the difficulty, I think it's fine if you don't plan to make it longer. I think it's fun, and difficult. I don't think the graphics clash, but it would be nice with a different background I think, not that the current one doesn't work though. I was just thinking something that isn't vanilla.

I also only found 4 parrot-coins.

Design-wise it wasn't bad at all, I would say throw in a mid-point where you see fit and expand the level.
@Cup:
Well hello there same sprites, haha. Editing them now (see @chdata) would make your level play a lot different, I guess..

My first thought was, "oh, another Touhou level.. Aren't there a lot of them already?". Maybe so, maybe there can't be too many of them.. The graphics and setting is nice though. But, sadly, if you want this to be something memorable, Touhou is probably not the way to go. I'm not saying it is a bad idea or anything, I'm just saying there is a lot of Touhou in A2MT already, it seems. This might be "lost in the crowd" or something.

That aside, the outside part was a lot harder than the inside part, but I assume the inside part will get these new sprites you mentioned.

The boat part kind of drags on, it's not very difficult as you only have to move along and jump sometimes. Sure you can get stuck in a tricky situation, but overall it felt long and it was a lot of the same.

The parrot-coins feel like they are all in one place, you should spread them around more, and use them in the outside-part as well.

That green turret-guy shouldn't shoot fire, it looks a bit weird.

I didn't run into any glitches, everything worked fine.

Uhm.. It would honestly be really sad if you would scrap this, considering the work that has been put into this. Maybe you can work something out? Your port is amazing by the way, I'm currently learning how to port myself, haha.
I just woke up, and I always feel I can give a better "review" after I replay the level at a later time. So if I think of something or change my mind I'll post again.
æ„›

Twitter: xjakku

Follow and/or add if you wish. ^^
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

There's a missing Pcoin because I never finished the level =p

The sprites are from MegaMari which is why you can't hurt them and I guess I'll leave it at that but add a powerup.

(Actually leeks hurt them but I didn't add any)
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
kilon

Post by kilon »

Cup wrote:Mario World does have its limitations. The sidebar is done with some level asm and layer two. I can't keep it for the rest of the level because everything would need to be auto-scrolling with wonky boat physics. The biggest problem with changing the picture is that there isn't enough space for two tilesets that size. Map8 is only so big and every single graphic in this level is exgfx (the boxes in the house will be changed, but I may have to make customs blocks and animations specifically for that so it doesn't change back to the vanilla box when hit. Don't know if there's an easier way or not yet). I know you can program gfx into the rom outside of lunar magic, but it's far beyond me. That said, it would be very nice if I could make a dynamic sidebar.
I figured it wouldn't be easy to do. It's not really worth the effort. It's fine as it is.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Cup -
The change to Komachi is good. On a side note have you tried SMWC's Customizable Conveyor Block for the boat itself, to push Demo forward at the same rate she's left behind, so it seems as if she isn't moving on backwards for no reason on the boat?

For Lily's projectiles: I'm sorry I can't fix them for the scrolling part. Although are you changing the gfx for them? I'd suggest just a horizontal and vertical oval thing, or two diagonal ones, or a + and x shaped thing.

As said on youtube, the puffballs are missing their blue tint. And as for a boss, if we end up with just a whole Touhou themed world, the boss could be one of Demo's siblings.

In the castle/house part of the level: Those yellowish platforms have single green dots that I think you could make yellow. It just kinda stands out or something.
The use of the elecpuffs x climbing was well done.

You're level definitely should be the first one the furballs appear in, btw.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I don't know if we should have 'touhou world', but at the same time it'd be a nice little... 'easter egg' of sort if, like, the four 'switch worlds' just so happen to have a touhou level of some kind, something like that.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

I need to make an update..

Oh, yeah.. This is the start, it will however get more explore-ish after the entrance stuff.
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Question...
Is there currently a sprite inserted that disables cape flight? If so, what sprite number is it? I need to disable cape flying for a puzzle room of sorts...
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Yoshi987 wrote:Question...
Is there currently a sprite inserted that disables cape flight? If so, what sprite number is it? I need to disable cape flying for a puzzle room of sorts...
Not sure if this answers your question, but the hack is patched so that people won't be able to bring a cape (or fire flower) from one level into another. So unless you actually give the player a cape in your own level, you won't have to worry about people flying in it.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Alrighty, this is what I have so far.
The hole in the ground will lead to the main area of the level.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Are those bowser statues?
I don't know if that would really fit, I mean, I'm not trying to restrict you, but Bowser doesn't really exist here.
I don't know...
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

If it's THAT much of an issue (which I don't think it is) you could always replace them by something that looks dem-y-ish, or goopa-y-ish.

Just looked at the first screen, lovin' the colours!
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

Wyatt wrote:Not sure if this answers your question, but the hack is patched so that people won't be able to bring a cape (or fire flower) from one level into another. So unless you actually give the player a cape in your own level, you won't have to worry about people flying in it.
Yeah, the thing is I do have a cape in my level, and I don't really intend to get rid of it. :/
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

There is a way to disable cape flight but I don't know tge code for it. You should just search the sprites on smwc. I'm pretty sure it would be a generator.
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

My Level as of now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDepYOeMfU
Input please.
Your Princess is in another castle!
Love Toad
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

@RHMax:
You need to fix the FG/BG position when you enter the level. (The same menu where you set your starting position. Pick the two settings at the top of the lists.)

The part at the beginning should not have the same music as the boat-part in my opinion. I think it should be more of a surprise when you get to the boat. If it's a different sublevel it's easy, if not then I'm sure some ASM could solve it. Or if it's your preference to keep it the way it is, then keep it I guess. Uhm.. On second thought it's not finished so I'm sure you have good ideas for music already anyways.

The boat looks weird with lots of holes (the corner-tiles). I think you should fix that.

I don't know what you plan to do with the background, but it would be nice to have a Layer 3 tide. Or put the boat and water on Layer 2 so it rises and sinks... Just ideas.

I don't know why the Sumo Bro-thing is causing sprite issues, but I would remove him, unless someone knows how to fix it.

I don't know how short you plan to make your level, but the parrot-coins are waay to close to each other.
æ„›

RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

xjC0n wrote:@RHMax:
You need to fix the FG/BG position when you enter the level. (The same menu where you set your starting position. Pick the two settings at the top of the lists.)

The part at the beginning should not have the same music as the boat-part in my opinion. I think it should be more of a surprise when you get to the boat. If it's a different sublevel it's easy, if not then I'm sure some ASM could solve it. Or if it's your preference to keep it the way it is, then keep it I guess. Uhm.. On second thought it's not finished so I'm sure you have good ideas for music already anyways.

The boat looks weird with lots of holes (the corner-tiles). I think you should fix that.

I don't know what you plan to do with the background, but it would be nice to have a Layer 3 tide. Or put the boat and water on Layer 2 so it rises and sinks... Just ideas.

I don't know why the Sumo Bro-thing is causing sprite issues, but I would remove him, unless someone knows how to fix it.

I don't know how short you plan to make your level, but the parrot-coins are waay to close to each other.
Yeah I haven't inserted my music yet, it will probably be a touhou song for the boat and idk what for the begining. Yeah they are the same level because I am saving my sub levels for other parts so i may use some lvlasm to fix the music. Ill definitely fix the corner tiles. The level is going to be pretty long, the airship is going to lead to a fortress which will be four sub levels long. I put the parrot coins together because I realized it will be quite difficult to get them all in one run without a midpoint, but spreading them out will not be a problem at all. Yeah i removed sumo-bro and he probably wont be put back because of the fish issues. Thanks for all the input, its really helpful.
Love Toad
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the corner tiles/holes on the boat, I think it looks pretty cool and also makes it look unique imo.
keep it.
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

Im not sure about the corner tiles but ill definitely keep the curved ones on the top and bottom, im just not so usre about the ones inside the ship itself.
Love Toad
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

RomHaxMax wrote:I put the parrot coins together because I realized it will be quite difficult to get them all in one run without a midpoint, but spreading them out will not be a problem at all.
I think parrot-coins will work in a way so they stay collected once you get them, even if you die.

If you use Layer 2/3 water the holes in the boat could have a neat effect though.
æ„›

RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

xjC0n wrote:
RomHaxMax wrote:I put the parrot coins together because I realized it will be quite difficult to get them all in one run without a midpoint, but spreading them out will not be a problem at all.
I think parrot-coins will work in a way so they stay collected once you get them, even if you die.

If you use Layer 2/3 water the holes in the boat could have a neat effect though.
I forgot about the parrot coins, so that will definitely be fixed.
I may do layer 2 water, I just need to sort out my issues with layer 2 first, then ill see how it goes.
Love Toad
Yoshi987

Post by Yoshi987 »

So is there any room for any more sprites, or are they all taken?
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

Yoshi987 wrote:So is there any room for any more sprites, or are they all taken?
quite a few open slots, http://asmtinfo.co.cc/sprites
Love Toad
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

Another slight update. I was having issues with the generator transition from medium to fast speed. Help and opinions please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp4xR7KE3Ck
Thanks
Love Toad
raocow

Post by raocow »

Wait, you mean autoscroll speeds? You need to exit and return for that, you can't go directly from one speed to another without exiting somehow first.