(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Nov. 17th

Post by raocow »

'Goopas' is the official unofficial name.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

I've been trying to make the platforms switch rails like you said, Paralars, but I can't seem to make it work. The attachment is the closest that I got, but the platform on the bottom that goes up seems to just hit a wall and fall straight down. Do you know why?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

As far as I can tell, the platform should fly up a bit and then land back on the lowest rail, because there is a hole in the middle one.
In case you wanted it to transfer the lowest platform to the middle line and vice versa, you need a piece of a line that catches the bottom platform when it flies up.
But I'm not sure what problem you are actually talking about, if you don't get it to work properly, just finish the rest of the level first.
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

Paralars wrote:- Super GFX Bypass (red poison mushroom) -> slot SP1 contains the turn block sprite graphic, if you want it to be a grey block as in the rest of your level, paste that graphic over the turn block in an exGFX file and insert it for SP1, the same goes for ?-Blocks and moving brown blocks.
(For the turn block, the sprite only shows up for a brief moment when being hit, or on turn block bridges and blue pick up blocks)
You'll either have to explain this in detail (like, with steps) or give me a link to a description, as I have not worked with exGFX yet.
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

When you open the 8x8 tilemap (next to the map16 button), you will see all the graphics currently chosen to be loaded for this level.
Every page consists of two graphic files (=> 1 graphic file is 8x4 16x16 tiles)
The order in which those graphic files are placed within the 8x8 tilemap are

FG1 first
FG2 page

BG1 second
FG3 page

BG2 third
BG3 page
^^^^^^^^^^
used for object tiles

used for sprites
vvvvvvvvvv
SP1 fourth
SP2 page

SP3 fifth
SP4 page

You can change the ones that are loaded by changing the tileset (purple mushroom, that will change several of them altogether.

If you want one specific graphics file to be loaded in a slot, use GFX bypass.
Go to the red poison mushroom
Enable GFX bypass
The turnblock sprite gets its graphics from SP1, so that is the slot you need to change.
You can insert any graphics file you want in there by choosing one from the dropdown menu, but you will obviously want to choose one with graphics that make sense, i.e. a mushroom, flower, smoke puffs etc. in the right place. (Because every graphics file contains several graphic tiles, 32 16x16 tiles or 128 8x8 tiles)
But you only want to change one 16x16, so you need to make a new exGFX file to be inserted into SP1, that has only the turnblock sprite changed and the other tiles still correct

-= Guide on making graphic files here =-

I can make you one so you can skip that part.
ExGFX.zip
(you need to rename it)

Click the 3rd of the colored mushrooms to show up an exGFX folder in your ROM folder, put your exGFX file in it, name it "exGFXzzz.bin" (zzz stands for a hex number, 80+).

Now click the 4th colored mushroom to insert all exGFX placed in the exGFX folder into the ROM.

Now you can go the the GFX bypass thing and choose your exGFX file to be used for SP1 (the number you replace zzz with).

The same goes for enemies for example, if you want different koopa graphics, you need to put something else into SP2.

I'm running out of time, so I'll explain everything else later and make you an ExGFX file then,
you will have to request one to be used in A2MT, though.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Okay, so it feels like it's been forever since I posted a demo of my level, but I finally got my sprite working the way I want it. For those interested in playing it: download here. I would greatly appreciate any feedback with the looming deadline. I think the level is done, although I'm completely open to suggestions/criticism.

To play, go down on the overworld to Cookie Mountain (will be renamed).
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

Level Update. Changed the right half to make it more unique.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9567/Level11E.ips
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Videoguy: Oh hey it's this level! Glad it's coming together, it's a lot of fun.
First race:
I notice some exGFX files are using old stuff: some chucks are the old green siblings, and some later are even vanilla chucks.
-At least one of the coin trails, if followed perfectly, leads to a death hole.

Second race:
-Music cuts out here; either you're aware of this or it's a bsnes thing
-I died by jumping on the trampoline once when nothing was touching me. Maybe it was the fire a screen above me having weird collision? Don't feel like testing myself, you should try it out and remove the molotov bro if he is in fact at fault.

Third race:
-Remove the coin trail that points to the lower area (below the octobro), all it does is point the player away from a dragon coin
-Octobro's platform didn't spawn most of the time,
-"Just end the damn level already" needlessly both sounds harsh and breaks the 4th wall, change it to something like "Just take me already!" or cut the sentence entirely.

Overall:
I feel the difficulty is overinflated by the lack of a midpoint, you should put one in before the third race. OR, if you object to that, another option would be to extend the first area, as if to trick the player into thinking the goal sphere was real, putting the midpoint at the start of the first race. Though, with no midpoint before the third race, it does feel a little hard, what with the randomness of the cheep cheeps.
These flaws are all fairly minor though, the level at its core is well-designed and fun. Keep it up man, you're so close!
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

TomPhanto wrote:Level Update. Changed the right half to make it more unique.

I liked both parts equally actually but would probably pick the fire one just so I don't have to deal with ice physics.

The palletes on the ice level kind of make the timed platforms hard to judge. Other than that, I can't really complain about many things in the level.

ANYWAYS, I have another version of my level. Some difficulty is taken down, and it is longer near the end. I need criticism, or I will just submit it like this. I don't really feel that it is ready, but I am cutting it close on time.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Wyatt - Thanks, glad you like the level. Fun was actually one of my main concerns, but I'm glad to hear you liked it.
Wyatt wrote:
First race:
I notice some exGFX files are using old stuff: some chucks are the old green siblings, and some later are even vanilla chucks.
Noted, I'll fix that.
Wyatt wrote:
-At least one of the coin trails, if followed perfectly, leads to a death hole.
...how about that. I'll fix that one.
Wyatt wrote:
Second race:
-Music cuts out here; either you're aware of this or it's a bsnes thing
I'll be honest, the number of times that I had to test this level made me sick of the default music, so I just muted it so I could play my own music while testing. I will have a custom soundtrack in my level, I just haven't inserted it yet.
Wyatt wrote:
-I died by jumping on the trampoline once when nothing was touching me. Maybe it was the fire a screen above me having weird collision? Don't feel like testing myself, you should try it out and remove the molotov bro if he is in fact at fault.
It wasn't because of losing the race, right? I have the sprite programmed to kill you if you lose, I wasn't sure if that's too confusing though. I was considering just having a teleport to redo the race, but that seems like it could make it too easy.
Wyatt wrote:
Third race:
-Remove the coin trail that points to the lower area (below the octobro), all it does is point the player away from a dragon coin
Noted. And removed.
Wyatt wrote:
-Octobro's platform didn't spawn most of the time,
Oh gee. I occasionally did have sprite issues in this section, but that never happened to me. I'll see what I can do to fix that.
Wyatt wrote:
-"Just end the damn level already" needlessly both sounds harsh and breaks the 4th wall, change it to something like "Just take me already!" or cut the sentence entirely.
Haha whoops, that was my early draft of the "dialogue", I didn't mean for that to make it into the final. I will change that though, I agree with you.
Wyatt wrote:
Overall:
I feel the difficulty is overinflated by the lack of a midpoint, you should put one in before the third race. OR, if you object to that, another option would be to extend the first area, as if to trick the player into thinking the goal sphere was real, putting the midpoint at the start of the first race. Though, with no midpoint before the third race, it does feel a little hard, what with the randomness of the cheep cheeps.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what the best way to do the midpoint was (compromise: don't put one in at all? yeah, that won't work). I suppose between the 2nd and 3rd would be the best part. I tried to make the sublevels progressively harder, so I suppose that would make the most sense.
Wyatt wrote: These flaws are all fairly minor though, the level at its core is well-designed and fun. Keep it up man, you're so close!
Thanks!
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Well guys, I finally fixed all the bugs, so far changed:
-The theme is changed allot, Abyss to mines.
-Second part restarted
-lots of bugs fixed

Issues:
-in the second part, its easy to stop spin jumping while your invincible from damage.
-If you wall catchin the 2nd part of the level, then you will also stop spin jumping, apply the Anti Wall jump patch to fix this (or that's what I think that's called).

Download me ^^

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

fireyblaze wrote:

I liked both parts equally actually but would probably pick the fire one just so I don't have to deal with ice physics.

The palletes on the ice level kind of make the timed platforms hard to judge. Other than that, I can't really complain about many things in the level.

ANYWAYS, I have another version of my level. Some difficulty is taken down, and it is longer near the end. I need criticism, or I will just submit it like this. I don't really feel that it is ready, but I am cutting it close on time.
I don't know why the timed platforms show different palettes when I play the level.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I like the new icy part a lot better, the ice physics work out well now.
The timed platforms, it seems the colored dots are kinda weird with color usage because they were intended to be yellow (in LM the dots show up as if they used palette 9, but they use D), you should keep them blue, but maybe you can find a way around that, if nothing works, just paste the lightest blue of palette D over the orange color and every black color to the right.
You will need to use some other graphics for breakable bricks, maybe you can just make a map16 tile with existing graphics for that, just make it behave like the block the blocktool code for breakable bricks is inserted on (420).
And as a piece of advice, when submitting, make sure to point out there is a banzai bill.
Everything else can be done is Clearing, you can go there now or on the deadline.
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/15352/024%2BAir%2BArena.ips

Done. small room through door is where chest should be, but i cant find the correct sprites, the only one i have is he boss. can be put in when insered
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

So I'm kinda sorta 100% finished with my level. So if it could get tested so I can submit it tormorrow, that'd be great. I've got 1 question though: How do the chests work? Do I get to choose the message it displays?
Anyways, download link: Edit: Whoops, this IPS was corrupted.
New link : http://www.mediafire.com/?m3stnkkk4wipnfr
Last edited by Kevinskie555 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Can someone please just post a screenshot of how you need to set up the line guides to make two platforms switch places. I can't figure it out.

Edit: Well, since I posted that ^^^, I've basically finished my level, so here's the link, http://www.mediafire.com/?gwordog3m5zlwtq

I have some notes though.

1. The pipe at the beginning of the second part will be hidden

2. The graphics, music, sprites, objects, everything will be custom made by me at a later date

3. The platforms may switch places during the second part sometimes as soon as I figure out how to do that ^^^

4. Parrot coins #3 and #5 will have burnable blocks in front of them at a later date.

5. The block above the green exclaimation point block won't be there in the final version, it's only there for testing.

Anyway, there's a spoiler for where everything is if you can't find it, enjoy!

Parrot Coin #1
Use the boo blocks to go up right at the beginning
Parrot Coin #2
During the first riding section, it's at the part where you travel in an n shape while boo lasers attack you.
Parrot Coin #3
Go down the pipe at the beginning of the second part, it would normally have burnable blocks in front of it.
Parrot Coin #4
Use the feather to jump off of the block with a star in it and float over to a platform with the parrot coin in it and then use the feather to make the blocks spin.
Parrot Coin #5
Fly left using the feather at the very end right before the goal, it would usually have burnable blocks in front of it.
Treasure Chest
Bring the feather to the last platform of the second part, the knock the star out but don't collect it, stand on the very edge of the hidden platform beneath the door, as indicated by the clue on the left of the level, then right before the star falls on you, jump to the left and then run right while collecting the star. As soon as you get to the edge, jump, and if you did it right it will have been enough room to fly, then you have to fly all the way back to the other side of the level, and there will be a pipe in the top left corner!
Last edited by Leifytwig123 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

Here's my level's "Final 1.00 Rough Draft"; it's beatable and has all five parrot coins and the chest (not inserted in my version of the base ROM for some reason though...) but I might want to revise a few things and possibly add
some kind of boss in the shooter part
if there's time before the Final Final FINAL content freeze.

Oh, and it needs a name. (It's kind of a big (though vague) reference to
PSURG's first game Shark Attack,
if that helps)
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

When cold, make sure to dress warmly.ips

Final version with difficulty much more balanced
JellyBlock

Post by JellyBlock »

Whoo! After a whole year and a half of endless procrastination, my level is finally done! Wait. No! My level is .05 MB too big to upload to this site! Is there any other way I can get my level to who ever's in charge of this thing?
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Smwcentral.net has a place to upload files. http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=files <-- If you're registered.

If not, you can always use some place like host-a.net
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

I said I was working on the unfinished level by DMII, but before I throw this into the clearing thread, I wanted to post it here because there are some things I am not sure.

About the level, in fact DMII have made 3 unfinished levels, and two of them were called LMD (I don't know why he chose this name but whatever). Since they were both good, I decided to mix them into one single level. Basicaly, you play the second LMD's level, and there is a pipe that send you in the first LMD's level where the chest and the secret exit is. Like I said, these are differents levels, and if you think they doesn't fit at all, I can chose to keep only one.
Also I haven't choosed a custom music yet, tonight I will look what custom musics are inserted in the baserom can fit those levels, but if you have some suggestions, then suggest me.
So here is the link:
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/410/A2MT%2B ... eltest.ips
Then if you think it's alright I will go in the clearing thread.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

For everyone who downloaded my level today; sorry, the IPS was corrupted, but here's the correct file: http://www.mediafire.com/?m3stnkkk4wipnfr
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

yogui:
Oh man, things are really coming together now, it looks fantastic.
So I opened the level and muted my computer because that standard music ruins everything for me, then I played it with absolutely no sound, which was very awkward, but it has something fitting, just saying.

Well, the shadowy thing being the main part and the grey sublevel the optional thing, that feels weird.
The transition is okay, but the order doesn't feel right.
You can leave it as is, but IMO it would make more sense to start in the grey part and have a junction to the black/white part.

Minor things:
- The 4 bullet wall is almost impossible to dodge the first time you see it, and after that, it's still unproportionally tough, maybe remove the topmost one.
- The white solid pipe looks weird, but it's an outstanding object because it's so bright, maybe you can just make teleporter blocks out of them (map16 tile 470), like a ray of light breaking into this abstract underground world from the surface (that way the level transition would make some more sense)

It's a really nice and solid level overall
;;;
;;;
JVyrn wrote:Here's my level's "Final 1.00 Rough Draft"; it's beatable and has all five parrot coins and the chest (not inserted in my version of the base ROM for some reason though...) but I might want to revise a few things and possibly add
some kind of boss in the shooter part
if there's time before the Final Final FINAL content freeze.

Oh, and it needs a name. (It's kind of a big (though vague) reference to
PSURG's first game Shark Attack,
if that helps)
Oh man, amazing how things work with the deadline.
It's pretty good, and would make a perfect level for Science.
The jump down to the maverick thwomp where you have to outrun it on the conveyer blocks doesn't always work the same.
The time limit should be reset to a new value when entering the second sublevel.
I didn't play everything, but about what I saw, I have nothing bad to say, everything looks very good.
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

Paralars wrote:The time limit should be reset to a new value when entering the second sublevel.
oh derp, I completely forgot about the time limit!
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Diddyboy100 wrote:Well guys, I finally fixed all the bugs, so far changed:
-The theme is changed allot, Abyss to mines.
-Second part restarted
-lots of bugs fixed

Issues:
-in the second part, its easy to stop spin jumping while your invincible from damage.
-If you wall catch in the 2nd part of the level, then you will also stop spin jumping, apply the Anti Wall jump patch to fix this (or that's what I think that's called).

Download me ^^
Umm... Todays the deadline and this is not tested :(

Can somebody test this please :|

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.