(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Nov. 17th

Post by Paralars »

CMB:
cool, another sky level.
The level themes are really ccoming together in a good proportion now.
Anyway, it's nice and crunchy, nice gameplay, the visuals are a tiny bit flat with the stone bricks and nothing else, but I guess when the level is longer that will be fine.
The music and echo effects are neat.

Some specific things:
The first hothead doesn't move, is it supposed to be like that? It feels weird.
The falling spikes are a bit out of place, maybe place some spike tiles near them; moreover, they are stuck in the rocks before they fall down, that looks weird.

There is a somewhat blind jump at the part with the many grey platform sprites next to each other.
When I was on the moving stone block, I scrolled the screen right úntil I saw the coins so I assumed there was ground there, so I guess it isn't that bad.

agie:
Didn't really see anything new since I last played your level, so the things I wrote about that still apply.
What can I say, the screen with the rope has too many sprites on it, I got a glitch where a goomba had no hitbox.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Argumentable wrote:I refuse to test any levels uploaded to mediafire or megaupload hth
oh ok

...So is that why no one's bothered to test my level yet?

Well then.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

For the record I'd up the thing but I don't know how. I asked tls4 though, let's see what happens~
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

limit was bumped up to 1m, hopefully that is enough?!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Isocitration wrote:
Argumentable wrote:I refuse to test any levels uploaded to mediafire or megaupload hth
oh ok

...So is that why no one's bothered to test my level yet?
Yes
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

Argumentable wrote: Yes
In that case, in a totally different way...

The level is now inside the original SMW rom, as putting them in the whole base rom is obviously a no-go. Enemy sprites and used blocks are therefore back to their original state, making them look terrible, I guess, but at least it's playable.

Here is two pictures showing what the level actually looks like in the A2MT base rom.
If the need to play the base rom version really occurs, the mediafire link up there in my last post is still a terrible way to do so.
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I don't like how you used cave dirt tiles in the second picture. It would look better as a solid tile like the rest of them.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

Unnamed A2MT level, Weekly Update 1
I don't know if I can embed videos, so here is the link to it on YouTube. If you watch it, feel free to give some feedback, ask questions, or respond at all.
Last edited by SyStemkraSh5642 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I really liked that bonus room. It looked great.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I'm done.
It's long and hard and I'm quite satisfied. It's the whole A2MT ROM, because I really didn't want to export all that to a new ROM yet.
The level is the level tile right under yoshi's house, with no level name.

EDIT: This was accidentally posted in T&D and Clearing, my bad.
You can still have a look at it, if you want, though
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

You know, I'm really really iffy on how my level is going so far. Maybe it's the fact that it's 3 AM or something, but it seems to be lacking a certain 'something' that'll help make it interesting.
I only have up to the (very early) midpoint made, so it's not all that much at all - but could someone play this and see how this is shaping up?
Here's the IPS.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

It's really nice up to now, Pheonix.

It's already interesting because of the tileset and the messageboxes and the music, it's some kind of theme, even though I couldn't give it a name.
It will probably look better as soon as it has some background, I, personally, really wouldn't miss anything more "special" then.
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Pheonix, I thought the level was nice atmospherically, but it didn't really JUMP out at me. I think a good name for the level would be Iceolation because it gives a feeling of calmness and loneliness.

Anyway, I changed a few things in my level even though no one commented on it.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

It's a really good level up the the point I played to.
But why are the eye blocks used as !-Blocks? Also, they aren't really the eye blocks that have been made for the sprite-only/demo-only blocks, they look slightly different...
You should make sure there is no cutoff with rope-blocks when you press the P-switch.
Yeah, don't have much more to say, it's good.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

fireyblaze: I like this level! You actually managed to make some fun item-babysitting puzzles. Would love to see this cleared.

First half - 17 deaths
-A different port of the outdoors song is already in the baserom, slot 47. Use that and give up your music slot since there aren't many of those free. (There's another music related problem but it might fix itself when you change song so I wouldn't worry about it yet)
-Glitched graphics upon hitting coin blocks.
-The solid-to-demo and solid-to-not-demo blocks look too similar. Use the standard gold graphics for the solid-to-demo ones.
-The lava frog jump is disproportionately difficult. A fine solution would be to make the floor below him safe instead of munchers.
This interior area has a really nice atmosphere and really awesome music. Love it!

Second half - 8 deaths (unfinished)
It's neat how you can slowly farm for lives by doing a couple extra loops in the yoshi area.
-There's some slowdown at the start of the outside area; removing one of the clapping chucks would probably fix this.
-Oddly, the load times are a little long. This becomes a problem when going between rooms all the time, any idea if it's fixable?
-I actually have no idea what's expected of me at the p-balloon part. Do I really have to just dodge all the projectiles? Because there's a ton of them, and you only get like 5 seconds to think things through since you're on about-to-expire p-switch blocks. I actually gave up at this part (it's probably easy to savescum through but I don't like doing that) so no comments on the rest of the level.

So yeah, really your only problems are some minor aesthetic things and a couple difficulty spikes. Hope you can finish up before the deadline!
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Fireblaze: I also liked it a quite a lot. While I found it to be really challenging, the abundance of power-ups made it possible for me to play it without tools for the most of what I played once I learned the layout (even though I'm not that good at platformers), except for some particular spike placements, which I couldn't get through without a couple of rewinds each.

The ones above the second balloon after the mid-point made me stop playing. I just got launched in the spikes every time. Then, there's those in the second area (cave) above the side-way twomp where you need to bring back a P-Switch. It's quite easy to make it empty-handed, but it would be nice to be free to bonk the ceiling when juggling with that P-Switch IMO, especially since the twomp goes faster in that direction. Earlier in the first area, there's those above the football kicking Chuck which I found to be superfluous.

In all those cases, you're already dealing with either random stuff or have no control over the obstacles and it would be nice to have more vertical room to breathe in. I personally would do a big cleaning on those critical ceiling spikes. But that's just my opinion and congrats on the level design in general, which is awesome.
ImageImage
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

I completely remade the first half of my level as limepie20 advised me and I really would need some opinions.

No secret exit here [1.2]

It's super short if you just run through it, but it's designed this way since the normal exit should either lead nowhere or create a shortcut back. It is also not so much action oriented and it rather emphasizes on exploration, which is the opposite of everything I played of A2MT yet.

I mainly would like to know if you thought it was an "enjoyable" experience. If you test it, please make sure to find the second area which is quite different from the first and which I haven't received any comments about.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

It feels very comfortable, almost snadbox-like.
It's good to have an exploration/puzzle level like that.

Some of the tiles look very confusing, the climbing stones at the wall are really hard to see (and don't look that nice).
The pillars are sometimes platforms, sometimes solid objects. It isn't very easy to distinguish them.
Some objects look bad with the coin palette, like the parrot coins and the ?Blocks.
The tofu/note blocks push you to the left weirdly (I see no point to that), also they use the original tofu block animation when. you use them (can be found in SP2).
I like the use of the penguin graphics.
If you want the player to start out small, make sure there is some filter in the beginning.
Even though it's hard, it is possible to jump onto and off the blue P-switch without touching the munchers.
You really have no chance to guess that you're supposed to get under the springboard before it falls, if that is what you want the player to do.
Screen 8-9: You have to scroll the screen to make the grey platform respawn to go back from under the muncher field.

In the second part, things are REALLY hard to recognize, especially since everything is so fast-paced (the lava, the bubbles, the net... why are there two keys?)

Man, that's a lot of critizism, but I really like your level.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Thanks.

I'll rework all those confusing graphics; Pillars, scalable stone and blue lava/grid palette. Not sure about the coin palette. The idea was to make those darker since it's a "night" level, but I'll still try fiddling with it.

I didn't think it was possible not to see the springboard fall so thanks for that. The new BG pillars should make it clearer that there's something under, but I'll also try to make sure that the player is closer when it falls.

The two keys is kind of a trap where you can't jump when mario is on two keys. But if you didn't get it, I guess it could mean that some players could just pick-up a key as soon as they them, which makes the trap useless. I'll rework that section, perhaps with different bullet heights instead.

Thanks again.
ImageImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

spitznagl wrote: No secret exit here [1.2]
I played this, too. I won't repeat points Paralas said, I do agree with most of them, but I will point out why some of those things don't work

Firstly, I'm pretty sure a2mt already has a filtering system built in to each level I don't know why Paralas would say to make your own
The solid pillars and the pass through pillars seemed noticeable enough to me, but you may want to darken the one a little bit more. Also the dark ones should be the ones you pass through, not the ones that are solid. You have them backwards in my eyes
The noteblocks... well, I'll just say the easiest solution would be to remove them/the other block on the same space with them
There are a few spots where you can run right through the ground
a2mt - no secret exit_00002.png
a2mt - no secret exit_00004.png
The flowerpot where the P-Switch is at totally loses its head sometimes (if you remove the falling platform this may fix it, or it may be sprite memories?

It almost feels like there should be more to explore. Like, I got the feather, but it serves no purpose? There's a lot of nifty areas, I don't know, I want more exploration (unless I somehow missed a bunch of stuff), I think right now it's good and has potential to be great.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

The filtering system we agreed on only filters out the Fire and Feather powerups, you can still start out Big.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I definitely started out small when I had the feather. Unless you mean it just doesn't filter when you are big. Either way that's stupid
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

So, dropbox is ok? Wonderful~
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48607961/A2MTLVLFIVEnew2.ips

Did some changes, including what limepie suggested. Play and test, pls~
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Argumentable: The feather does have a purpose. There's a hidden pipe in that hole in the ground under the four turn blocks (seen in the second picture you posted). It leads to the second half of the level where the "good" exit is. I'll make the pipe visible under the two lower blocks. I'd like to had more places to explore in the first half, but I'm kind of limited space wise. Thanks for the stuff you pointed out. So many things I didn't think about.
ImageImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I broke those blocks and tried to figure out what was going on there then just left. SO I guess I'm saying it wasn't obvious enough for me, but I'll check it out after bit

EDIT: Yeah it seems not as un-obvious now that I'm playing it again

Edit 2: Yeah I do not like this secret path, too many dick moves. The lava, the green koopa, the disco shell (I can't get by that part)