(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:It's looking nice. I do like the new addition of the phanto fuzzies. I would like to suggests making it so the autoscroll stops on the last screen.
The phanto thing feels weird though without having a real phanto. Is there any way you could incorporate one? It doesn't have to be like a key one. Maybe you could have its following condition something else to have it fit the level. Or just have the key there for a chest or something.

What other sublevels are you planning on in the future? I'd like to know what you will take from out of curiosity.
On my new computer I re used the quality control graphics by YCZ with layer 2 smash, though that stuff is gone because of an HDD failing. And even then, I could not get his line guided end tile to show so I was limited in what I could use. It doesn't rip in correctly when I import the map16 page. I'm thinking of grabbing that set again if someone could set that set up on an IPS file I'll create and send back a new IPS with it functioning correctly. I'm still thinking of what else can be used. That abstract auto scrolling level in the Final level of ASMT also looks nice. I still need to go look at other ones I might want to use. I'm thinking of getting rid of the snow section and creating another section so there's not two ice section. I can't change the background like you said, because it seems to use the same ExGFX file as the snow GFX. I'm not really great in that area. lol

You should check this older video and see if the phanto part i did there is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82YhKl0rU-A
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky wrote:You should check this older video and see if the phanto part i did there is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82YhKl0rU-A
Yeah, I like that.

On the subject of the background being on the same exgfx as the foreground, that really should be no problem. Just use the BG2 or BG3 or whatever open slot for the background you do want to use.
Or am I misunderstanding the problem?
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I think this section is complete now. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCNK4tVCxfo
You'll notice some unchanged sections are done in another way. Like waiting a bit on the second to last koopa jump and jumping over that bulletbill guy part instead of bouncing off a bullet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I don't want to butt in or anything, but considering the last castle place town is probably going to be on the big side, if anyone else wants to make a little 'asmt' themed room to help Franky, I think that would be okay! (Note: I haven't watched any video so I don't know how 'little' the themed rooms are)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Well.. my sections are pretty nice size, and I've finished 3 of them and are working on a 4th now. Limepie said 4 sections in a row would be good enough, but i told him i could probably do 2 doors of 4 rooms each possibly. And from there see how things go. If you still want someone to add in that's fine, maybe we can get 3 doors with 4 sections that way. But honestly things are going really quick and that 4th section wont take more then a day. The last section didn't take more then a day. Only one of the 3 completed sections took more then a day to create. By tonight or early tomorrow I'll have the 4th section complete and have done exactly what limepie said was enough. From there I was going to see how many more sections I can make while still keeping things fresh.

I've been sending Wyatt updates and he enjoys the levels so far. they have motivated him to work on his song, they also showed him which parts of his music would work he said. So things are going fine raocow. :P
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rN1FUdq4A

What do you guys think? I used the entire level, ran out of screens.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7kdwhkthn89q ... 0Doors.ips
Here's an IPS patch. All four doors fully playable. Ignore the doors on the entrance screen of the room with all the doors. To play all the rooms in correct order, go through the top left door. The other doors are to get to areas quickly for testing.
Test away!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Franky wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7kdwhkthn89q ... 0Doors.ips
Here's an IPS patch. All four doors fully playable. Ignore the doors on the entrance screen of the room with all the doors. To play all the rooms in correct order, go through the top left door. The other doors are to get to areas quickly for testing.
Test away!
In the phanto area, a lot of the foreground was difficult to tell from background
-What is the door above the door for?

It's still mostly good.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

That door was just for testing purposes. But I put the wrong tile. It leads to the same place as the upper left door. Which is the correct order to play.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

I tested your final level and have to admit that I like what I played so far. All four rooms are nicely designed, none of them is too hard or too easy and they all reference to certain levels of the first game.
For me the easiest room was definiately the ice room with the snowballs. I see that youa ctually changed the background graphics so that it looks more like taking place in a castle which is appropriate considering we are in a castle.
How is this castle structured? You choose one of the four doors and play through the room and already reach the midpoint? How many rooms are there supposed to be at the end?
If you look for more references and nice tilesets from the first game I can suggest the chocolate castle as well as a monocrome level like that world 5 stage. Or you make one room similiar to the Black Switch Palace in world 4. :)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Slit08 wrote:I tested your final level and have to admit that I like what I played so far. All four rooms are nicely designed, none of them is too hard or too easy and they all reference to certain levels of the first game.
For me the easiest room was definiately the ice room with the snowballs. I see that youa ctually changed the background graphics so that it looks more like taking place in a castle which is appropriate considering we are in a castle.
How is this castle structured? You choose one of the four doors and play through the room and already reach the midpoint? How many rooms are there supposed to be at the end?
If you look for more references and nice tilesets from the first game I can suggest the chocolate castle as well as a monocrome level like that world 5 stage. Or you make one room similiar to the Black Switch Palace in world 4. :)
The top left door is the correct order to play. Limepie said it would be four doors in a row, but I'm thinking of going for two doors with four sections in a row. Because other levels are still being worked on so I should be able to do it. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

YCZ gave me an edited version of his layer 2 smash generator so I'm probably going to redo the first section in the top left door.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rN1FUdq4A

What do you guys think? I used the entire level, ran out of screens.
I like this section, too.
I will try to play the IPS soon. I didn't have time today, but I think I will tomorrow.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

The background for the snow area was used in a auto scrolling section in ASMTs Final level. So even the background is an ASMT reference, with the FG and sprites also being a reference.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Franky's Final Level thing
Wow getting through all 4 door without Savestates sure is hard! (Don't have time for that, but I tested the single rooms without savestates.
The majority of the level is really, really good! I love this and how it represents some of the levels from ASMT. But there are a few little things I didn't like.
No flaws in the Phanto section (I really like this one)
The Bowser Statue Section:
How in the world is the jump in screen 09 possible? With the saw and the thwomp... I cannot get past that without getting hurt! I think you should remove either the thwomp or the saw or some spikes..
Also I died soooo often in screen 0C... I don't know if I'm just stupid or if that part is just too hard..
Snowy section:
The thwomps in screen 09 sometimes don't spawn
The Snowballsaw in screen 0B is unnecessary because it will just go into the lava
And what are these green ugly looking things for?
Hyper Thwomp Section:
Wow... 5 of them huh? Well no slowdown occured, so it's ok? I don't know actually.. It is fun though. And hard. But that's good. Just one little thing was a bit unfair:
In Screen 14 The maverick thwomp is silly, you have to know that he is there to actually avoid him..
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Jolpengammler wrote:Franky's Final Level thing
Wow getting through all 4 door without Savestates sure is hard! (Don't have time for that, but I tested the single rooms without savestates.
The majority of the level is really, really good! I love this and how it represents some of the levels from ASMT. But there are a few little things I didn't like.
No flaws in the Phanto section (I really like this one)
The Bowser Statue Section:
How in the world is the jump in screen 09 possible? With the saw and the thwomp... I cannot get past that without getting hurt! I think you should remove either the thwomp or the saw or some spikes..
Also I died soooo often in screen 0C... I don't know if I'm just stupid or if that part is just too hard..
Snowy section:
The thwomps in screen 09 sometimes don't spawn
The Snowballsaw in screen 0B is unnecessary because it will just go into the lava
And what are these green ugly looking things for?
Hyper Thwomp Section:
Wow... 5 of them huh? Well no slowdown occured, so it's ok? I don't know actually.. It is fun though. And hard. But that's good. Just one little thing was a bit unfair:
In Screen 14 The maverick thwomp is silly, you have to know that he is there to actually avoid him..
For the thwomp and saw part, you spin jump onto the saw. If you focus on just timing that, the thwomp wont even hit you. The timing can be simple.

As for the maverick thwomp part, I still need to fix that part, I've been wanting to but forgot. It will be fixed though. I'll re arrange things so the thwomps wont despawn and check out the other things you were talking about. Green ugly things? Could you show me an image?
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Franky wrote:Stuff
But with a spin jump you can barely get over the spikes :s
Also green thingies (No not the trees xd, but the things on the right) :
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Those are sprite only blocks which should not be there. There's also two more I need to remove now that i think about it. I'll go fix that section up as well, I just took out the winged block sprite because the wings blended in too much with the last background.

Oh, here's a video on how that statue section is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rN1FUdq4A
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I finally played your level Franky:

First thing's first. You really gotta make the walls that you can pass through in the main castle have a lighter palette than the normal ground.

Bowser factory room:
Wow, very difficult but I had fun with it. I have a big problem with the one dry bones right after the second moving block. From what I can tell, it's near impossible to not get hit by him or the spikes above him. Please make that easier.

Phanto room:
Wow, very difficult as well, but it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time while feeling so fluid and satisfying! I don't think I found any places where it felt unfair like the last room. I really like how you stuck to using bullet bills and bouncy blocks, too.

Vanilla level room:
That black lava doesn't look good. Try to not make the outline not white. I went down that path where you fall down a hole and there are coins that hint you can go down there, and there was a bowser statue but at the pit there were map16 edits of the watermelon blocks, and I have no idea what that's supposed to be. I walked into them and died because I didn't know I would fall through them. Otherwise, nothing wrong with this.

Million following thwomps room:
The on/off switch sound effect is pretty annoying. This may be a waste of a sprite but consider changing it's sound effect to the normal one. But now that I think about it, the same sprite with the normal sound effect may already be inserted. Check The Meaning of Sharp. I think the second sublevel has it. Anyway, this level was really unique! I love how the theme played out. Unless you are against making it a bit easier, I would suggest taking one of the two radishes on the ground near the beginning and moving it to somewhere farther in the level.

And now that I've played the levels, I'm not sure that playing all four in a row would be very feasible. I honestly think that sounds way too hard. I think two in a row should be what you play. If you're planning on making four more, you should just have that one extra set of four rooms, and I think that's enough.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Yeah that smash sound needs to be changed, but i never got around to it. It was like that when I inserted it. I'll try looking at that other level.

That watermelons blocks are not supposed to be there. Jolpen (I think) brought that issue up.
I knew that drybone would be a problem lol. You have to jump and hit it from the moving block, or wait for it to turn around and follow it and jump over it before it turns around again. I'll fix that area.

I don't mind rearranging the mushrooms in that thwomp level.

So should it just be four doors with two sections each? As for the entrance palette that's how it was when I ripped the set in. I'm not too great with editing palettes. I'll try to figure something out for the black lava in the snow section.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Try editing the palette, but if you really need help, I can try something out.

Also, yeah I think four doors, two sections each would be nice, but I think what would be nicer is having another hub room between the two sections, so you can choose again. This is mainly to let the player catch his/her breath and relax for a moment. You should also give them a powerup or something.

And now that I think about it, why can you only get a powerup if you go to the bottom two paths? I think you should just have one mushroom in the center, and then they pick the path.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:Try editing the palette, but if you really need help, I can try something out.

Also, yeah I think four doors, two sections each would be nice, but I think what would be nicer is having another hub room between the two sections, so you can choose again. This is mainly to let the player catch his/her breath and relax for a moment. You should also give them a powerup or something.

And now that I think about it, why can you only get a powerup if you go to the bottom two paths? I think you should just have one mushroom in the center, and then they pick the path.
Those paths were supposed to be harder. Also used them for testing so I could test levels big. They don't have to be there though. That other idea sounds good.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

No, I know that was for testing. I mean when the new ones are added, whatever rooms come after the first four should be set up like that.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:No, I know that was for testing. I mean when the new ones are added, whatever rooms come after the first four should be set up like that.
I could do that. I hope someone can get that asm file working. At least then I'd know if I was doing something wrong. I really hate to scrap that new section because it will be one of the best.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I'm glad to see that my first ever auto scrolling level is pretty much error free and people seem to have fun with it.

If any of you are good at getting asm files to work have a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1570&p=154756#p154756

I cannot continue progress on this new section until I get this script working. I've already got half of the level mapped out in my mind so it would really suck to abandon it. And the intro and first few screens are finish. Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong because YCZ said it looks fine, but I'm not experienced enough in that area to know. I just need someone to get it working in the latest baserom in slot 4A with YCZs instructions in the linked post. That way you could tell me what you did and I could replicate it on my rom.
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Here is my hallway. Is it fair? What do you think?

To play it go in the house level and enter the second door.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ge1d92bgt19cau ... l.ips?dl=1
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!