(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by Awakenyourmind »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8ZPugdfy4
Here's a video of iris, unlisted. Though I don't think it looks very visible because of how Yt handles darkness!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Franky wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8ZPugdfy4
Here's a video of iris, unlisted. Though I don't think it looks very visible because of how Yt handles darkness!
That is way too common. It has to have something unique about it. Maybe just one rare custom sprite, or one that is slightly modified, can can the dynamic of making a hallway.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Franky wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8ZPugdfy4
That is way too common. It has to have something unique about it. Maybe just one rare custom sprite, or one that is slightly modified, can can the dynamic of making a hallway.
Hmm, I could do that. Any suggestions on what you guys would like to see?

How's the level size, should it be longer?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I just think it looks a bit uninspired, though the general theme seems to be jumping a certain height, maybe you could explore that more, do something you don't see everyday.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Paralars wrote:I just think it looks a bit uninspired, though the general theme seems to be jumping a certain height, maybe you could explore that more, do something you don't see everyday.
I'd like to do more with weapon type enemies for the theme of iris. Maybe missle and homing bills? Or switch up the chucks to be those Ninjas sprite that someone used in the a2mt base rom. That was my first idea. PS: I've already started to remodel things a bit.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

well, hammer bros and all the variations use weaponry, you can have shell kicking, don't use homing bullets though, those get really annoying if you have a bunch of other stuff on the screen.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Paralars wrote:well, hammer bros and all the variations use weaponry, you can have shell kicking, don't use homing bullets though, those get really annoying if you have a bunch of other stuff on the screen.
I'm gonna be leaving in the morning for a few days with no net, but I'll have the laptop so I can overhaul it.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Oh! Already five weeks jeez :? I've been quite active in the last two weeks though and I am at the point where I need more feedback to see, amongst other things, if it is worth it for me to ask for more resources (is there still enough map16 slots available anyway?). I also made seven customs blocks as of now. I'd like to know if this might be a problem.

Here: Polish Resortski2.ips

Image Image

+The first part is done in theory, except for some cut-offs (need more map16) and the very end, which needs some layout polishing. The message box with the map is just a hint for the chest (not placed yet) in the ski section. In case you can't find the five parrot coins needed to proceed to the second half;
-In the house with the message box, indicated by the small arrow in the background.

-In plain sight in the beginning. You need to activate a hidden tofu block (marked with the stairway pattern of coins) from under the rail.

-Jump into the chimney from inside the house to reveal a second tofu block and go in the upper section.

-Go in the wiggler's house to collect a pair of moving coins. This lowers the sprite count which permits the game to load the wall spring board and you can jump in the house from the other side where there is a ledge.

-In plain sight at the end. You need to jump once on the snowman/rex and use him later to reach the moving platform.

+I might do a middle more action oriented section (vertical climbing level using my custom slippery slopes to their full potential) if the rest is too short, but only after I'm done with the two others, including the music.

+The ski section; I thought it would be funny to replace that problematic falling level with a "hidden" falling level. Hopefully I won't have made this for nothing. All the custom blocks are done and the rest of this section should be pretty straightforward to make. You lose time by going outside the flags btw. I plan on adding more obstacles like firs and tree trunks if I can have more resources. I'm already using quite a lot for this level, hence why I'm not sure if I can.
ImageImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

spitznagl:
You don't have any music, but I'd suggest using Hop! Hop! Donut Lifts because it's the music that was playing in my head as I played the level, and it's already inserted in the baserom.
The midpoint doesn't work.
+The ski section; I thought it would be funny to replace that problematic falling level with a "hidden" falling level. Hopefully I won't have made this for nothing. All the custom blocks are done and the rest of this section should be pretty straightforward to make. You lose time by going outside the flags btw. I plan on adding more obstacles like firs and tree trunks if I can have more resources. I'm already using quite a lot for this level, hence why I'm not sure if I can.
This is very clever.

Anyway, my thoughts on the first half:
It's extremely confusing. I read the message box but I had no idea it was talking about yoshi coins. I thought it just fined me five coins every time I walked into the level or something. Also, if I had known it was talking about yoshi coins, there was no way for me to make the connection that the yoshi coins were used to get into the door under the entrance either. Also, you need to get rid of that exit level through sides generator. This is testing, but it is annoying. Overall, I feel that forcing the player to get the yoshi coins is not fun. Yoshi coins are supposed to be a bonus, not a requirement. But also it just seems like unnecessary difficulty. You have this interesting gimmick of sliding on ice and instead of using it, you do a yoshi coin scout. On the subject of yoshi coins, I couldn't find the hidden tofu block for the first one no matter how hard I looked, the second yoshi coin seems too hidden (maybe a bigger arrow would be good or something because I guarantee most people will just get it by accident), the tofu block for the third yoshi coin is too hard to find and someone would probably only find it by chance because there is no indication, the fourth yoshi coin involves an esoteric glitch that people again will figure out by accident and be mystified by (and the fact that it's abusing a glitch at all is bad in the first place), and the last one is probably the best but it involves figuring out to use that rex that most people will kill upon seeing before even knowing that there is a yoshi coin and then becoming confused. These yoshi coins are too hard! Again, I don't think forced yoshi coin hunting is not good for level but even if it's optional it's still too hard in this level.
My recommendation is to completely redesign the first sublevel. You have this very interesting idea with the sliding block, but it is wasted. Firstly, I don't think it is conducive to the scrolling because it involves not being able to go certain ways and the scrolling incapacitates you from being able to see what you can and can't do. Instead you are forced to keep going at the same uncomfortable speed and inevitably be trapped on a slope. With this slope, you should be able to take your time. Try something that makes forced-sliding interesting. Right now it is just used to keep you from going in places which is as good as a wall in your way. Try something like a plinko machine or something. Or maybe just general sliding fun where you go downwards and then there are some laces to jump off. I think this level has a lot of potential, and you could really utilize it. Just try to make the sliding blocks fun in some way.

Oh also if you need map16, just claim it.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Wow! I was expecting the ski section to be the problematic one. I'm happy it isn't. For the first one, I was just going for something different and more relaxed with a more platforming oriented section afterward, but if it doesn't work I'm not gonna argue. All your points make sense too, so complete redesign it is. I'm probably going to keep (while making everything clearer) the dragon coins and gate thing though, but for something optional like buying the chest perhaps. No more scrolling and glitch for sure. Thanks for testing it.
ImageImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I like the idea of the second section. The falling isn't too fast, and the flags are a cool addition. From what you have started, I think you can make something fun out of it. Now just to make sure, it wasn't finished, right? Because the line of rocks killed me regardless of whether I went between all of the pairs of flags or not.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

Don't worry, it was just a draft.
ImageImage