Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by AUS »

Caracc wrote:If you guys can't accept my artistic talent the third time around, I'm going to stop showing you this at all :/
Oh wow, you sure are humble.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

raocow wrote:Uhm... go ahead?

Unless you're saying you want some ExGFX slots?

What I meant is that I sent a message to a japanese hacker about the ExGfx he used to make sure I can use it aswell without angering him.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

V0.1 of my level is ready! The Main Level is pretty much finished except for some parts (marked red) which I will most likely change because I don't like them.
What's left then is the Sublevel with the chest (accessed through the orange pipe), and the boss, which I will hopefully be able to code.
I'll decide where to put the midpoint when I'm finished with the whole and after testing.
My Level
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

Mercy, I've never seen that many pencils in my lifetime there RealLink. O_O

Oh, yeah after a couple months, and just fresh from making my Vanilla Contest entry, I've decided to get back to work on my level. Having no idea what my original intentions were with my original concept (as in from the images way back when) I've decided to rebuild it from scratch...yet again.

Either way this is what I have up so far: Link

I used a test rom of my own, which is why the only thing patched is LevelASM. It also explains why there aren't any graphics from the dev rom in the level.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wait so you get hit if you're on the ground when you hear the beep? I don't really get how that works.
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

limepie20 wrote:Wait so you get hit if you're on the ground when you hear the beep? I don't really get how that works.
Oh sorry I should have explained that.

The level revolves around hot stones within the level. Similar to what happens in real life if you stand on a hot stone for too long: you get burned or your feet start to hurt. In this case, you get damaged. The beep was a warning for the player that they've been standing on the stones for too long and they will eventually get burned. I would have used some other sound effect, but that's the best one that I can think of using. :\

If all goes correctly, this will be the underlying gimmick throughout the entire level.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

That's actually a pretty neat gimmick. It needs some kinda visual aid and ideally a custom sound effect to make it feel natural though.

In terms of the actual level, the palette should become redder in the second sublevel and, if possible, the time it takes for your feet to burn should decrease as well.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah what Wyatt said. I would actually raise it for the first sublevel and keep it the same for the second because it looked pretty fast. Also, you need a message box explaining all that. Unless there already was one?
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

limepie20 wrote:Yeah what Wyatt said. I would actually raise it for the first sublevel and keep it the same for the second because it looked pretty fast. Also, you need a message box explaining all that. Unless there already was one?
The message was supposed to have appeared at the very beginning there. However I have a feeling that because of the color math involved in the HDMA it never got displayed. In not that, then it's because I don't have a fix patch put into place. Either way, I'll get that figured out soon enough.

As for the burn time, I'll make it a little slower in the upper part of the level. At the moment it will burn you after about two in-game seconds, which is reasonably quick for this kind of level.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

E-Man wrote: The message was supposed to have appeared at the very beginning there. However I have a feeling that because of the color math involved in the HDMA it never got displayed. In not that, then it's because I don't have a fix patch put into place. Either way, I'll get that figured out soon enough.
If I recall correctly, there's a fix patch that comes with Ice Man's HDMA effects 1.0 on SMW Central.

Anyway, here's some more progress on my level. Haven't inserted the custom sprites yet, as I'm going to finish the build of the level first. So, each tofu block is where a barrel cannon will be. I'll also replace the coins with bananas and the munchers with spikes or something similar. The glitched gold thing near the beginning is a test door for a sublevel.
Attachments
Level00D.PNG
Level00D.PNG (169.03 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Yoshi Ambassador!
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

I finally got to hack.. I finished the design of the sublevel. but there's no sprites. (well, some.) Just because, I may have to change the design, if you wish that.

IPS in ZIP file
Attachments
Forest of Realism-test900000.zip
'Bout time.. Right..?
(269.86 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

I'm going to be working on my level today, I've been doing stuff for one of my own hacks and it's putting me in the mood, the thing that's going to take me the longest I think is that I'm doing all my graphics by hand. I know I've been taking forever but I want to have at least decent graphics so if my level doesn't have a good layout and I can't fix it with the tips people give me and the criticism someone can use the graphics and make a good level out of it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

RivalNightmare:
RivalNightmare 3-13_00000.png
RivalNightmare 3-13_00000.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
If the branch has layer priority the tree needs to have it too. I suggest just making the branch not have layer priority.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00001.png
RivalNightmare 3-13_00001.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
It's unfair that the player dies for exploring. Just block the section off so they can't fall.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00002.png
RivalNightmare 3-13_00002.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
silver p didn't spawn. That really needs to get fixed.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00004.png
RivalNightmare 3-13_00004.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Koopa despawns when i jump on it. I'm pretty sure the firebar is causing it.

I got to a pipe that led me to level 0. Is that all you have so far? I never used the blue p switch so I may've missed something. Also, you should add about 200 more seconds.

About, the gameplay. Well, there really wasn't much to it. The first section was okay but in the cave room you were just carrying items around.
Spoilered because of big pictures.
GVirusG

Post by GVirusG »

Yeah, I need some feedback on my level please
On the first half, up until the midpoint, the other thing is still in beta XP

My level (12E) is now called "The Dream I Lost"
The Dream I Lost.zip
(313.13 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Too lazy to be creative here
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

limepie20 wrote:RivalNightmare:
RivalNightmare 3-13_00000.png
If the branch has layer priority the tree needs to have it too. I suggest just making the branch not have layer priority.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00001.png
It's unfair that the player dies for exploring. Just block the section off so they can't fall.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00002.png
silver p didn't spawn. That really needs to get fixed.
RivalNightmare 3-13_00004.png
Koopa despawns when i jump on it. I'm pretty sure the firebar is causing it.

I got to a pipe that led me to level 0. Is that all you have so far? I never used the blue p switch so I may've missed something. Also, you should add about 200 more seconds.

About, the gameplay. Well, there really wasn't much to it. The first section was okay but in the cave room you were just carrying items around.
Spoilered because of big pictures.
Hmm.. Okay, I'll get working on it.
And.. You only need to carry items in the first section of the cave, but, If I should change it, I'll change it.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

GVirusG wrote:Yeah, I need some feedback on my level please
Hi

You can get yourself stuck in a few places, specifically
abcdefg_00004.png
abcdefg_00004.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
here if you just kind of stumble into this area first without knowing anything about the silver-p switch (you might want some reset doors or something)
abcdefg_00007.png
abcdefg_00007.png (6.85 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
and here if you're retarded (just make it an invisible noteblock instead of an invisible coinblock)

PS
abcdefg_00005.png
abcdefg_00005.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
Cool graphic (just kidding it's dumb)
Speaking of dumb graphics, I have no idea what is going on with the jumping chuck swap (both in what it is doing and how it looks [I know it's global]) but I want to point out it is absolutely awful
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

The chucks are being changed to something else entirely, so at least there's that!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

GVirusG wrote:Yeah, I need some feedback on my level please
On the first half, up until the midpoint, the other thing is still in beta XP

My level (12E) is now called "The Dream I Lost"
The Dream I Lost.zip
Cool level, with probably the most enjoyable p-ballooning segment I've ever played.
First thing's first, something needs to be done about the music. The song in the first room/midpoint room is kinda badly ported (the main instrument is sorta grating) but other than that it fits well. I don't like the other song though, it's too intense. It didn't fit in ASMT and it doesn't fit here.

As for gameplay, I have no quarrels whatsoever with the first section (and I really like the hidden powerup to the right of the exit pipe), and found both it and the second one very fun. But a few things could be improved about section two:
-pressing the silver p-switch too early gets you stuck. The level feels about world 3 or 4 difficulty, so this punishment is a little too severe. Maybe have a reset door?
-the p-ballooning section is basically impossible when big. I really like the way it is right now though; if I were you, I'd put in one of those bars that filter you to small (the kind they use in the vips).
-the 4th raocoin, where you use the invisible question block. Since the p-switch is active, the block becomes a coin, and you can collect it and get yourself stuck. I actually really like this and realize it was probably your intent, but forcing the player to time up is always a jerk move. Throw in some out-of-the-way suicide lava for the sake of courtesy.
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

Network issues force me to upload files larger than a screenshot on my phone...hence this edit...
Anyway, this is my level so far. Its about 5 vertical screens long + the bonus cave area (accesible via the door in the beginning or through its 'normal' path. 2 Yoshi Coins so far. Its a little easy but I have issues putting too many sprites because they disappear and I am not a fan of Muncher Spam.

The Multi-colored Map16 block is supposed to be the chest. Its not that well hidden but its a bit difficult to get in my opinion. Should I hide the pipe a little better?

Also, Demo's Hydrophobia is still a tentative name. I like it but I'm open to other names.

Finally, I realize the time limit is a bit small. Laziness on my part so far. I'm awful at figuring out a decent time limit though. Sorry for the # of edits.
I'd like some feedback on the level before I continue. Overall, I'm enjoying the creation process but I don't want to get too far and have to revamp things. Thanks!
Attachments
A2MT%20Level%2023%20patch.zip
level 23 test 1
(294.67 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
GVirusG

Post by GVirusG »

@Argumentable: I changed all these things, except for the Balloon graphic, because I can't change that without glitching up the football yoshis DX

@Wyatt: The music is just there for the sake of music XP. I'm currently working on a port specifically for that level, so don't worry about that ;)
The Balloon segment is not impossible, even if you're big, but I get what you mean.
I already changed up the other things and I'm going to post another update later on, maybe with the second half completed ;)

Thanks for the response guys :D
Too lazy to be creative here
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm not sure what the square graphic is even for, but unless A2MT changed something, the balloon and football graphics are in different spots and it is easily fixable with an ExGFX file. If not, well, come up with a new gimmick.
soccer.jpg
soccer.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
But yeah, about the ballooning segment, I don't know how you changed it, but the overhead munchers seem like a bit of overkill, even in the area after the midpoint. a plain roof works just as well if not better
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Fireyblaze

Post by Fireyblaze »

Argumentable wrote:I'm not sure what the square graphic is even for
Its the graphic that is used inbetween on and off when the On Switch is hit I believe. (I saw what you did there with the file name.)

ANYWAY! I have a tiny part of my level done. it is just the beginning and it will need reset doors but I don't really know where I would put them. It is not ready to be tested since it is merely 2 screens, but there is a lot going on here and I thought it was worth showing.
Attachments
deliciouspie.JPG
deliciouspie.JPG (122.72 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

fireyblaze wrote:
Argumentable wrote:I'm not sure what the square graphic is even for
Its the graphic that is used inbetween on and off when the On Switch is hit I believe. (I saw what you did there with the file name.)

ANYWAY! I have a tiny part of my level done. it is just the beginning and it will need reset doors but I don't really know where I would put them. It is not ready to be tested since it is merely 2 screens, but there is a lot going on here and I thought it was worth showing.
wow, that looks really good
make sure u fix the cutoff above the bullet bill shooter
Your Princess is in another castle!
Love Toad
noseman999

Post by noseman999 »

Here's an update for my level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vab2epKHbsA
I don't know what is the religious property of a giant clump of dirt that is just sitting there?
- raocow
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Haha I really like those on/off passable blocks. I think it looks nice and I hope you can come up with some creative challenges with this gimmick.