(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Cup

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by Cup »

That's some pretty neat platforming there Mr. DeePay. The level looks like a lot of fun to play. Unfortunately because the level looks like so much fun, I don't have much input to give.

I'd want to try to discourage you from making it any easier (at least from watching the video). It will be impossible to really get a feel for the difficulty until you post an ips, but any easier than what I saw and I feel you would be doing yourself a disservice. There will be others with less of an eye for level design and fun platforming that will make easier levels, and if there are not well, having this sort of level be towards the lower end of the curve will probably be a service to the hack as levels like Meaning of Sharp won't feel as surprisingly difficult. Plus after the basic hub world, when the player gets access to his choice of themed worlds, I feel that the trainer levels should end and the player should get to enjoy real and exciting levels. What you had in the video looked both fair and fun. Please don't change it too much.
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

@Tails:
Thanks for the help. I think these are the screens that you wanted (and some more):
Shelless goopa (old)

Flying goopa with shell (The wings have a white outline now, but not in this pic D:) (old)

Empty shell (old)

Sprite-only wall

Demo-only wall
EDIT: New screens, but still keeping the old ones up there..
Shelless goopa

New rotodisc

Slightly fixed Birdo, with new egg (Will the GFX for Birdo be changed for A2MT?)

New goopas with shell

Empty shell
@limepie: Thanks, I'm aiming pretty high with this level... Everything except the floating part is meant to be before the midpoint, so I planned something even more difficult later on.
Hmm.. Maybe a video isn't enough? I can probably post an .ips assuming I'm able to create one properly.. After I fix some more stuff, that is.

-

For some reason the "Demo Start!" doesn't show up, is this a palette issue or something else?
Oh, and that second area, I think I'm gonna scrap that entirely, it feels kinda out of place to me..
æ„›

Twitter: xjakku

Follow and/or add if you wish. ^^
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

MrDeePay wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg0WsfUK2t4
Hurt me plenty.
Uhh..... broken graphics a lot... some of which can't be fixed (fire bros are incompatible with falling platforms)

the design seems pretty good, but I really want to see graphics replacements before I make the call, because it's kind of distracting... also, I think there's a blind jump around 2:10, there's ground everywhere, but the way it's designed someone may think it's a pit... may just be me

xjc0n: The colors make it more difficult than I thought... basically you need some sort of short gradient, there are a couple ways to do it, if you have a whole free palette it'd be easier, but I'd be able to make more accurate colors in Lunar Magic itself. I'll upload a very... meh example in a minute.
couldbebetter.png
MehShell.png
Mind you, the levels are hard to make look good like this, so you already have quite a good start, honestly. Just a few things to nitpick at.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Uhh..... broken graphics a lot... some of which can't be fixed (fire bros are incompatible with falling platforms)
Do you have annotations turned off and/or did you read the video description?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

someone wrote:sprite incompatible with sprite
that's easily fixable (same tile taking things)
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

MrDeePay wrote:
Do you have annotations turned off and/or did you read the video description?
Sorry about that, I was checking it in a hurry! ;)
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

No biggie.

Also, I've been out of out of the A2MT loop for a while now, so I'm not sure on this question.

What's the status on multiple checkpoints? My level's route for the secret exit and the way there isn't all that easy of a task, so depending on that, I may either add a second checkpoint (and a pipe to the original midpoint if the player changes their mind on where to go) or trim down some of the secondary route.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

also, xjC0n, here's another way to fade that, if you don't have another free palette...
AltSinglePalette.png
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I actually think any of the pics Tails just made would work well.
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

Ah, that looks pretty nice. I have a free palette though, maybe even 4 or something..

I made some more stuff, not much leveldesign, mostly graphically, also playing with some more palettes, I really suck at that haha. I made too much for screens so I decided to just make an ips-patch. I guess I'm just gonna fix some more stuff and then I can get on with more actual leveldesign..

http://bin.smwcentral.net/38246/JCon%20 ... 20A2MT.ips

Oh, and I used ExGFX for the thwomps, but they look nothing like the way I edited them in YY-CHR.. Also is the thwimp-graphics not there? Did I miss something?
æ„›

Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I'll try and make the palette for you to work off of in your IPS and then show you screens/send you a new IPS if you like it.

Nevermind, you don't have any custom graphics for me to work off of, and I can't make them tonight.

IDEA!
You should make a custom parrot coin using just the flashing palette outline, see how it looks?
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

Oh, yeah, I never made anything because I wasn't sure how I would do it.

Your idea is in, kind of too bright, but it fits..
æ„›

yoshiguy978

Post by yoshiguy978 »

Yoshiguy level.zip
Finaly finished.
i'll edit this post with a video later.
Edit:Video
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

@yoshiguy:
The midpoint doesn't work, it brings you back to the beginning. Also a missing tile next to the pillar to the left of the stunning thwomp below the chest area.

A suggestion, the maverick thwomps above the lava are too predictable in my opinion. Maybe make one of them a regular thwomp that falls into the lava or something?
I found it pretty difficult at first, but once I got used to the timing of things it was very enjoyable.
æ„›

Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Fix the midpoint, fix the color of the midpoint (all black looks weird to me...)

Also, I can't tell for sure but it seems like time is pretty close from your video, and you already know where everything is... add like 100 seconds...

I want to know from someone that coin 4 is accessible without getting hurt, if done right... because the video didn't show that, and I am not good enough to do it myself...
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah its actually not really hard at all to get that without getting hurt.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

MrDeePay wrote:What's the status on multiple checkpoints? My level's route for the secret exit and the way there isn't all that easy of a task, so depending on that, I may either add a second checkpoint (and a pipe to the original midpoint if the player changes their mind on where to go) or trim down some of the secondary route.
*nudge*
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Second midpoints aren't inserted and most likely will not be. If your level needs a second midpoint it is most likely too long/hard, anyway.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I dunno, I mean, the technology exists now.

I think it's worth pursuing, even if it's enabled later in the project.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

It /will/ be used, but only for specific levels, and none of those (as far as I know) are just plain levels.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Why not?

Well, okay the way I see it, Mr Peeday up there should do his level as he sees fit. As long as he feels it could be. And we'll let testing/clearing decide if it should be shorterned or if it's worth 'an exception'.

I ask because this IS an issue - here I get the feeling that the secret exit is essentially a parallele path through the level, and in that case it makes sense to facilitate a mid point for 'that' path. Ditto for when peeps make bosses for their levels, it makes sense to have a midpoint before the boss, while keeping the ability to have a midpoint for the level itself.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are clear situations in which case a second midpoint 'makes sense', and it should be considered.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well something like splitting paths or bosses are a good idea but otherwise I don't think it should be necessary. Some time ago I said that every level that is chosen to be a castle and a boss is added on at the end should have an extra midpoint.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Right. So as a basis, levels don't really get a second midpoint, unless the author can justify it with one of those situations. I think that's fine.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I don't need a second midpoint, but I request to use the OTHER feature of that patch you mentioned, to let the midpoint drop the player at a different sublevel.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah anyone can use that. IF we insert the patch.