(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Re: Testing & Development~

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

Cheeseofdoom wrote:Hmmm, well now I'm confused. Is your 2nd sublevel a castle? Why does this have nothing to do with the previous post?
No it's not, it was also never suposed to be. The unchanged SMW Castle Background was maybe a little bit misleading. But I deleted it completely, and I focused more on the secret exit.

I also changed a thing. I placed the Key directly above the clapping chuck and deleted the coin hint, I did put a message block hint however.
Message Block wrote:In a cave there is
a guy... He jumps
high, but the
price is out
of his reach.

Use the tool to
help him out!
I wanted it to rhyme somehow. But my english is far not good enough for that. If someone here would have an idea of how to make this rhyme in a way that it would still be a hint, that would be awesome!
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

HarmfulGravemind wrote: No it's not, it was also never suposed to be. The unchanged SMW Castle Background was maybe a little bit misleading. But I deleted it completely, and I focused more on the secret exit.
Well, that and the foreground, the lava, the podobos, the ball & chains, the thwimps and and thwomps. It really just looked like a castle.

Anyways, I'm glad you're working on improving things.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Tails_155 wrote:
raocow wrote:Hmm. Now, I haven't watched the video, but what cheese here is saying is a good reminder, we're looking for fairly unique levels here, if we can.

Essentially, what you want to be able to do, is describe your level in one sentence in a way that describes your level, and your level alone. If you cannot, then there might be an issue you have to look into! And I'm not saying that to be a jerk - in clearing if you get FoD he's got pretty high expectations!
The way I put it before is that I want every level to be memorable on its own. I don't want any level to be "one of the levels in A2MT." I want it to be unique to itself, and very special.
Like...
rubberfishy wrote:
RealLink wrote:I made a video of my level. Still not finished, it's 12 screens so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro0Q2C8quRE
That's so awesome!
This for example.... except for the whole floating lava thing in the unfinished area at the end.
HarmfulGravemind wrote:
Cheeseofdoom wrote:Hmmm, well now I'm confused. Is your 2nd sublevel a castle? Why does this have nothing to do with the previous post?
No it's not, it was also never suposed to be. The unchanged SMW Castle Background was maybe a little bit misleading. But I deleted it completely, and I focused more on the secret exit.

I also changed a thing. I placed the Key directly above the clapping chuck and deleted the coin hint, I did put a message block hint however.
Message Block wrote:In a cave there is
a guy... He jumps
high, but the
price is out
of his reach.

Use the tool to
help him out!
I wanted it to rhyme somehow. But my english is far not good enough for that. If someone here would have an idea of how to make this rhyme in a way that it would still be a hint, that would be awesome!
prize*

GVirusG
Cup wrote:Ignore the first part, recored that before I realized it wasn't finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QLO6mxvdQ
Also forgot to change my camtasia settings back so there's no audio. You get Chopin instead.
This level feels so much like your Level Design Contest level from 2009... it better not have 2986942809 exits...
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
HarmfulGravemind

Tails_155 wrote:
prize*
With a z? really... jeez, english is hard!
GVirusG

Post by GVirusG »

@ Cup: Thanks for the response :D
Wow, now I definitely know what I have to fix in that sublevel :P
You know, I think Harmful Graveblind takes too much attention here in this thread, but that's just my opinion XD

@Tails_155: It has exactly 1 Exit :O
Shocking, isn't it?
I'm still kind of embarassed for that horrible Million Exit level DX
FORGIVE ME!!!
Too lazy to be creative here
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

RealLink:
The pencil theme is awesome, if it isn't finished, maybe you could add some sharpeners?

PS: The music fits perfectly :D
HarmfulGravemind

GVirusG wrote:You know, I think Harmful Graveblind takes too much attention here in this thread, but that's just my opinion XD
You know, I want as much feedback as possible, about every single detail that comes the viewer in mind is helping... don't know how that makes me blind.

But, yeah, it's your opinion... so it's worthless... :P

RealLink, I watched your level... I absolutely love it, as I said on the video itself, it reminds me off the horror that school is. lol!
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Ever since An SMW Central Production came out, I feel that A2MT should get rolling! And since, I haven't posted in a while, here's an update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQWV98O5S0

I also have another idea for a level ;)
ill post a video for that idea a little later.

Please give feedback and I'll take it into consideration.

-Schnurmanator
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Schnurmanator:
First of all it looks really nice. When you hit the blocks in the beginning in it's hit animation there is cutoff because it is in dirt and it comes up and there is no dirt behind it. I dislike how you use blocks for pipe corners, especially the backward question mark blocks. I never liked it when people used blocks insted of pipe corners and Terry made some really awesome pipe corners you should go use in the gfx thread/gfx request thread. I don't really like the transitions for the different "seasons". It would help if you went in a door and not a pipe.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Schnurmanator wrote:Ever since An SMW Central Production came out, I feel that A2MT should get rolling! And since, I haven't posted in a while, here's an update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQWV98O5S0

I also have another idea for a level ;)
ill post a video for that idea a little later.

Please give feedback and I'll take it into consideration.

-Schnurmanator
Piranhavine+rope=cutoff... ._.

Is the goal made clear? Your annotations mention the goal, but it should be explained.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh that's what I forgot to say.
Yeah just replace the ropes with clouds.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Piranhavine+rope=cutoff... ._.

Is the goal made clear? Your annotations mention the goal, but it should be explained.
Yeah, I'm going to have a message appear when you enter the fall season that says:

Oh no! Looks like Demo's returned
to the time of MM2! To escape she
must collect all the coins that she
putt in this timeless game!

So pretty much, you have to collect all 50 coins (including the 5 dragon coins). But I might change that to the secret exit, if it's too difficult.

Also, I fixed the rope cutt-off and I changed the pipes to doors.

@limepie20:
Do you know if someone already inserted Terry's pipe graphics into the base rom? Cuz I found them and I can insert them into a new Exgfx file but if someone already inserted them then I'll just share with em.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

No one did. I suggested it but no one did. I for one think it's a great idea and I can insert it if that's ok with the other blues.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

limepie20 wrote:No one did. I suggested it but no one did. I for one think it's a great idea and I can insert it if that's ok with the other blues.
Yessssssss pleaseeeeeeee do that! :DDD
It would benefit so many people, at least I think
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Schnurmanator wrote:Ever since An SMW Central Production came out, I feel that A2MT should get rolling!
It's the thought that counts, but you can't really say that until SMWCP 2 is in the works. :lol:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Schnurmanator wrote: Oh no! Looks like Demo's returned
to the time of MM2! To escape she
must collect all the coins that she
putt in this timeless game!
put*

I'm not trying to be mean by doing this, but all the spelling stuff, if caught early, will make the production go a lot faster. (Ha...haha....hAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA -- faster... lol)
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

lol it's ok Tails, I get it. Progress now, and not progress later ;)

And I fixed it
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFYi844qx2Q
Turn annotations on, if you haven't. So this is my level for A2MT, well, kind of.. Nothing is really connected right now, and I'm not sure in what order things will be yet. Feedback, constructive criticism or comments appreciated either here or on the video. Also, the quality is horrible, but this is just to show you what I've done so far.

Screens:
a2mt_00000.png
a2mt_00003.png
a2mt_00004.png
I'm not allowed more than 3?
æ„›

Twitter: xjakku

Follow and/or add if you wish. ^^
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

3 is max per post...
First off: LOVE the aesthetics, but I'd really like to see better transitions between passable color tiles... since you're using the colors in the fashion you are, you should have plenty of space in the palette...

Suggestion: Make the turtle shell have just a hole, not a giant colored shape... it looks a bit odd (I'll provide an example if I can, but I need a screenshot with the the turtle shell, also I'd like one of the spots where you have the walls, then the sprites/Demo can pass tiles next to it (in the floating place))
Also, does the goopa in the one area have any outline or just eyes.
Also, the wings are invisible, but still apparent. If you want floating gray blocks, make the wings use the transparet color, otherwise, add an outline to the wings.

There are several areas that seem like forced hits, REMEMBER: just because you understand how to do it without getting hit doesn't mean a player who doesn't know will be able to figure it out.

BOO CAROUSEL: Seems really tedious.

Love the edits to the eerie, except the ones where you have to jump based on their bounce... they seem pretty fast to figure out, especially if you don't know them that well...

Confusing pipe wut. (Not necessarily bad, just wut.)

Some of the thwomps seem a bit annoying to avoid... I may not be best person to say since I'm not really good at Mario, but just make sure the things aren't too difficult for people who don't know in advance. (When people test, if they complain, that's a red flag)

I assume on the air thing, you have no vertical control.... so make sure markers are clear for where to go, or else it'll be too much guess, die, and check... It is the most outstanding part of the level, though.
kilon

Post by kilon »

xjC0n wrote:I'm not allowed more than 3 (pics)?
If you use the attachement uploading thing: yes.
However, when you upload it on a site like Tinypic, there shouldn't be a problem.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Cup wrote:[Lots of stuff from a month ago]
Way late responding to this, but I it just popped into my head that I wasn't sure if I thanked you for this.

The white things were supposed to just be generic bullets (I think I even ripped them of IN's sprite sheet originally), making them more recognizable is the last thing on my to-do list. (Other than the music, but I'll just keep on requesting that)
xjC0n

Post by xjC0n »

Tails_155 wrote:First off: LOVE the aesthetics, but I'd really like to see better transitions between passable color tiles... since you're using the colors in the fashion you are, you should have plenty of space in the palette...
Thank you. I have space in the palette, that's for sure haha. But palettes is not my strong side, definitely not..
Tails_155 wrote:Suggestion: Make the turtle shell have just a hole, not a giant colored shape... it looks a bit odd (I'll provide an example if I can, but I need a screenshot with the the turtle shell,
Actually, I wanted that too, but editing the 4 goopa palette rows always screws up another sprite.. I got plenty of ExGFX slots in case stuff like this happened, so I'm gonna fix that.
Tails_155 wrote:also I'd like one of the spots where you have the walls, then the sprites/Demo can pass tiles next to it (in the floating place))
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you meant, but I've decided to have have this gimmick in another area as well. So I'll use those blocks (and other blocks) a lot more.
Tails_155 wrote:Also, does the goopa in the one area have any outline or just eyes.
Also, the wings are invisible, but still apparent. If you want floating gray blocks, make the wings use the transparet color, otherwise, add an outline to the wings.
Just eyes, I thought it looked.. creepier? You can make other stuff use the transparent color? That is actually awesome news haha. Will definitely do that.
Tails_155 wrote:There are several areas that seem like forced hits, REMEMBER: just because you understand how to do it without getting hit doesn't mean a player who doesn't know will be able to figure it out.
True, true. I'm gonna add coin-trails and fix some stuff that's actually quite unfair now that I think about it..
Tails_155 wrote:BOO CAROUSEL: Seems really tedious.
A lot easier than it looks though.
Tails_155 wrote:Some of the thwomps seem a bit annoying to avoid... I may not be best person to say since I'm not really good at Mario, but just make sure the things aren't too difficult for people who don't know in advance. (When people test, if they complain, that's a red flag)
I made sure you had time to figure out how to get past some of those places though.
Tails_155 wrote:I assume on the air thing, you have no vertical control.... so make sure markers are clear for where to go, or else it'll be too much guess, die, and check... It is the most outstanding part of the level, though.
Correct, and yeah, I will fix that.
And yeah, I'll be using Tinypic or something in the future then. Sadly, I don't have time right now, but I will probably give some more screens later today.
æ„›

Twitter: xjakku

Follow and/or add if you wish. ^^
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

xjC0n wrote:I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you meant
I meant a screen so I could show you what to do :P
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well I got around to watching the video and I really like it and looks great. Tails said some of the things look hard but I honestly think it's pretty good level design and all seems great. Of course, I can't actually know unless I try myself but that's just what I get from the video.

Also, yeah. Definitely fix the goopas.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »