(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
MrDeePay

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by MrDeePay »

Just watching the videos and seeing how long you take to clear the set of rooms (and this is when you know what to do/expect) suggests that you seriously need to cut down on how long these rooms are or how they're distributed. What you have right now borders on ridiculous at the very least.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

MrDeePay wrote:Just watching the videos and seeing how long you take to clear the set of rooms (and this is when you know what to do/expect) suggests that you seriously need to cut down on how long these rooms are or how they're distributed. What you have right now borders on ridiculous at the very least.
You should play it, it's not as bad. As Wyatts post says. I've made most of the changes he's spoke of. I simply do funky crap and try to mess around which makes things look MUCH harder.

I suggest playing it and then giving feedback. :)

If you still feel the same after playing, I will figure that out and edit things as such.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Well guys.. it seems I may be able to keep the internet after all! :D

After I get the final level inserted I'd like to do one of the Sibling halls. iris seems good. She symbolizes a forest right? I don't want to steal one from someone else so please let me know which ones have no one working on them at all, even unofficially. Not trying to step on anyones toes!
But yeah, I want that final level inserted so i'm going to do everything in my power to make that happen.

I need more people on this, MrDeePay may have a point for casuals, not everyone will be as skilled as Wyatt. But still, you are the song creator so I value your word (Wyatt). there are pits you could fall into in later sections that would lead to having to re do entire sections. These arent tiny sections so it's easier said then done. I really hate dumbing down my levels because anything publicly released will already be dumbed down from my favorite style. Evil.

But hey, everyone should have fun right? For me raocow alone would be enough, but I'm sure he and others would like other people to enjoy it as well.

Need to get more people testing somehow, raocow what do you suggest?! :o
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I haven't watched the videos so it's really hard to say!

Each videos is like six minutes long, so if there really is a midpoint between each 'choices', that averages two minutes per room, which seems okay for very end-game of a hard-leaning hack?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Honestly, I think the difficulty looks fine. Especially considering that I got the impression this hack was for 'experienced players' anyway?? Doing three in a row without dying might be challenging, but it seems appropriate for a final level (it looks more 'long but doable' than 'overly hard' to me). You could stick in midpoints after each door, though.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Thanks guys. I need more people testing on this if possible. >.< Also raocow:
"Need to get more people testing somehow, raocow what do you suggest?!" I meant how should I find more people to test this? :oops:
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... Recent.ips

Disregard your version if you have another. This is the most recent for the moment!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Hey Franky, I'm not sure how long this will take to be cleared (could be pretty short or end up being long). Either way, you seem very anxious to start on that sibling level. Go for it, man! I don't want your creativity to be stunted. Just check in the sibling halls thread to see which are open. (Iris is.)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:Hey Franky, I'm not sure how long this will take to be cleared (could be pretty short or end up being long). Either way, you seem very anxious to start on that sibling level. Go for it, man! I don't want your creativity to be stunted. Just check in the sibling halls thread to see which are open. (Iris is.)
iris it is, and is there anything I can do to speed up the process? By the way I plan to release a tiny update today that fixs a graphical problem and removes a powerup I used for testing.
So if you found any problems, lemme know.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Here's a new IPS of the A2MT Final Level.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... d%2529.ips

Fix's and another midway point. Could you enable multiple midwaypoints limepie? Other then that the bouncing blocks animation in the first autoscrolling section need to be corrected. That would be all reported things I'm thinkin'.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I haven't played any of the recent IPSes, but I do wanna weigh in on the midpoint thing again because I feel strongly about it.

First I should state for reference that my skill level is very similar to raocow's. I had a blast clearing 3 rooms in a row, so anyone as skilled as him should be able to make it through fine. For those judging the difficulty by the videos, Franky's right that they make the levels look harder than they are!

I think the most satisfaction I get when playing SMW hacks is from clearing huge endgame levels like this one. Think of the huge guantlet levels that are the final castles of the VIPs: they're great! They work because there are a bunch of powerups along any path, so even after you beat one room, if you die and have to replay it you'll have the goal of getting hit less so that you'll stand a better chance in the following rooms. Putting midpoints between every section completely ruins that aspect.

It also makes the level pretty easy! I mean sure, any one of Franky's rooms is harder than anything in SMW. But we've got some damn hard stages in this hack: land of illusions, wrathful romp and betrayal rock to name a few. Clearing the final castle should be at least as hard as the next hardest mandatory level in the game, and by throwing midpoints everywhere you get this really messed up difficulty curve that falls right at the end. It's the endgame, if the player's gotten this far they'll be able to handle three hard rooms in a row!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Edited
Last edited by Awakenyourmind 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

vv Put it in spoilers because it has nothing to do with the topic.
Franky wrote:Since I'm leaving this site for good I am giving you all rights to the level.
Are you really leaving the forum for one post I made defending alex (who gets a lot of crap on this forum for just showing up)? That's more pathetic than the reason I quit the forum...all those times..
EDIT: To put it in perspective: I left because I felt I was getting undeserved crap from some people on the forum. It looks like you're leaving because people aren't allowed to give other people undeserved crap anymore.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

AUS wrote:vv Put it in spoilers because it has nothing to do with the topic.
Franky wrote:Since I'm leaving this site for good I am giving you all rights to the level.
Are you really leaving the forum for one post I made defending alex (who gets a lot of crap on this forum for just showing up)? That's more pathetic than the reason I quit the forum...all those times..
EDIT: To put it in perspective: I left because I felt I was getting undeserved crap from some people on the forum. It looks like you're leaving because people aren't allowed to give other people undeserved crap anymore.
It was because they kept the thread around after I requested it to be removed! Every forum is going to have assholes, but the moderation team shouldn't be! I've already talked about this to someone and I'm not longer worried about it.

Though next time you should message me in PM about this, and not bring it over to this forum!.
Thanks.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Franky wrote:
AUS wrote:
It was because they kept the thread around after I requested it to be removed! Every forum is going to have assholes, but the moderation team shouldn't be! I've already talked about this to someone and I'm not longer worried about it.

Though next time you should message me in PM about this, and not bring it over to this forum!.
Thanks.
So you're saying you're leaving the forum because after you flipped out at me for no reason the moderators didn't bend to your will and close the topic?

Say, I didn't realize that you were crazy. :geek:
Sorry for all the off topic stuff.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

If you're really sorry then yeah take it to PMs
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

worldpeace (creator of Cool Or Cruel) also played this and gave feedback like a tester. He suggested maybe another midwaypoint. But since Wyatt is creating the levels song I am going to go with is word. The music is a very important aspect. And you already have multiple choices to choose from if one room is too hard for you! :P

Wyatt: Where exactly do you think we should put a midwaypoint? After the 2nd set of doors or after the first?
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I'm advocating no midpoint between sections at all! The level would be your entire thing, then a midpoint, then the final boss. I genuinely think this wouldn't be harder than those levels I mentioned in my last post!

I'd really like for testers to try getting through everything with no midpoint. It's really not that bad: Any of the last set of doors can be reasonably beaten first try if the player's being cautious. Also, keep in mind that testers are probably playing without the yellow switch, so they're missing power-ups that'll show up in the actual game!

EDIT: Just tested the new IPS, why'd you change around the door order? I thought it was way better before.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I am totally on Wyatt's side. The castle is not THAT bad. A midpoint would ruin the endgame ish feeling !
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

alex2 wrote:I didn't say it was that hard. I said it's marathony. If it were up to me, every single level would require a midpoint, like SMWCP2 does.
A midpoint, eh? Before the boss--like Wyatt suggested.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Giant Ninji

Post by Giant Ninji »

Oof. This slipped my mind. I remember someone posting in the Testers for Hire thread in SMWC. Hi. I'll gladly test the final level. I am not a "tester for hire" listed in the thread (rather, I'm the creator of the thread...and SMWCP2's resident bug tester), but I'll test it.

Do note I will post all bugs I find, and all level design issues I find.

I just need an IPS to test :v
Giant Ninji

Post by Giant Ninji »

alex2 wrote:
Giant Ninji wrote:I just need an IPS to test :v
So leaf through and find it.
...I did.

I just need to know which level it is.

EDIT: Ah. Found it.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Yes, let the testing begin. :)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Franky:
This is just a great level. It's taken me too long to get to clearing it, but alright it's cleared.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:Franky:
This is just a great level. It's taken me too long to get to clearing it, but alright it's cleared.
Yay. :D I'm speechless, really I can't think of anything else to say. >.< Hurray!