pge projectsmbx communitymario fan games galaxy

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 7 years ago

swirlybomb wrote:Based on a suggestion from the Checklist thread, I put in 'a cryptic, meaningless poem' for the first room's text. I just used what Limepie/raocow had already written, because I'm not so good with The Writing. Just tossing this up here to see if the text and text placement 'works'.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14760273/Talkha ... ntroV2.ips
Before the part where you go over the level, You can see text before you're suppose to. Also, there was a eye slit during a dark part in a previous version, and I liked that.

in the second room, the player may turn around at the end escaping the "trap". Invisible one way block might work there.

In the third room, you could try spikes as wall.

shdwdrgnix

Postby shdwdrgnix » 7 years ago

Right then, got everything taken care of. I just need to test a few more things and balance the difficulty curve a little. So a fully completed version will be up soon (sunday at most, but expect it to be done earlier)

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Postby swirlybomb » 7 years ago

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Also, there was a eye slit during a dark part in a previous version, and I liked that.
It was honestly not intended to have that there before (it was just because of the text not having black behind it, but I actually could include that if it is preferred. Ideally I'd like to get a second opinion or so before coming to a decision on that.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.

tenta
First name: Alex

Postby tenta » 7 years ago

I can't work on my level at all if Franky or Limepie doesn't answer me.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

tenta wrote:I can't work on my level at all if Franky or Limepie doesn't answer me.
You were in level clearing, not this thread.

This is the last concrete thing anyone said about your level.
limepie20 wrote:tenta:
One minor error I just picked up on is that the place where you fall to get a parrot coin (next to midpoint entrance) has regular invisible coin blocks instead of the outlined ones. Also, please remove the line of turn blocks at the top of the level; they look weird.
Before I clear you, can you explain how you are supposed to get the treasure chest because I can't figure it out? I think you should change it a bit because I see the solution involves going inside of the dirt, and that doesn't look good. Could you change it up so you don't have to go inside the dirt?
I don't know how limepie is having a problem with the treasure chest. I guess I'll PM him the solution. The dirt place seems like an integral part of the level, and I'm against the idea of scraping it. I would like to have more natural looking platforms in that area.

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Postby Awakenyourmind » 7 years ago

Tenta: I've been on msn as you requested.

Update: I'm about 75% done with that extension level for my Into the Sky Castle level. So far so good, I'll post a video when done. So you guys can tell me if it's too hard or not. Good thing I chose to remodel this level, there were quite a few graphical problems. Other things needed to be edited as well.

shdwdrgnix

Sadly after testing I had to get rid of the second half of Lunatic because of glitches and it was too hard.
The first half however has been completed.

So I will just give a link to my level like it is without the second room.

The second room would be reachable whenever you were to reach the goal in Lunatic.

If anyone has an idea for the second half, please do tell me, though I can't make bosses so that is out of the question, unless someone is wiling to volunteer of course.

And here it is

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Shdwdrgnix:

There are some warning coins on normal at screen 03 without a podabo. Also the palette has some weird blueness. The falling spike don't hurt if they haven't fallen.

I don't like easy. I needs more content, but you don't have to make it remotely dangerous if you don't want to.

Please use map 16 to make the pipe area better.

Lunitic start off quite slow. I do think there might be more options than the giant sparkies. I haven't finish the level, but I think you should look into having a giant phanto.

Edit: looking into lunar magic, the tile placement is quite inefficient. Please avoid using 1x1 tiles to save file size.

edit2: The invs coin block thomp are very cheap, and might even make an unwinnible situation. Also hard doesn't have warning coins for that part while lunitic does.

shdwdrgnix

Shdwdrgnix:

There are some warning coins on normal at screen 03 without a podabo. Also the palette has some weird blueness. The falling spike don't hurt if they haven't fallen.
fixed except for the palette.
I don't like easy. I needs more content, but you don't have to make it remotely dangerous if you don't want to.
Its the secret exit for hard, but I can add another goal on 12B for the hard secret exit, but then easy will have a normal exit, and I would rather have the normal exit not progress forward on the map in that case.

Do you mean the floor here?

Lunitic start off quite slow. I do think there might be more options than the giant sparkies. I haven't finish the level, but I think you should look into having a giant phanto.
Is it not hard enough? I could barely beat it. Giant phanto would make it much harder.
Edit: looking into lunar magic, the tile placement is quite inefficient. Please avoid using 1x1 tiles to save file size.
I'll do my best to fix this, I do have issues with the lava because of how its made.
edit2: The invs coin block thomp are very cheap, and might even make an unwinnible situation. Also hard doesn't have warning coins for that part while lunitic does.
Fixed

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Postby Frozelar » 7 years ago

Well, I made a switch palace half. Just go to Parrot's thing and there's a pipe there.

here it is

So uh, yep. Starts out mid-game difficulty-ish and ends pretty hard.

Thanks.

EDIT: an updated link after spitznagl's feedback
EDIT 2: another updated link after limepie's feedback
Last edited by Frozelar on 03 Sep 2012, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.

spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Postby spitznagl » 7 years ago

frostyfish88: I found the visual effect and level design pretty neat. Concerning the difficulty, the abundance of power-ups towards the end is good considering what you have to deal with, but the slipperiness kept me from playing that part without rewinding.
ImageImage

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Oh, thank you! Alright yeah, I removed the slipperiness... also fixed some minor cutoff that I noticed.

EDIT: here's the updated link

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

frostyfish:
I liked the level. The concept was fun and fresh. I felt like the two giant phantos were a bit too frustrating though. Could you maybe make it two small phantos or just one giant phanto?

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

shdwdrgnix wrote:
Its the secret exit for hard, but I can add another goal on 12B for the hard secret exit, but then easy will have a normal exit, and I would rather have the normal exit not progress forward on the map in that case.
You're over thinking it. Easy has nothing, you could at least make it look like a playground version of the level.

Do you mean the floor here?
I mean the pipe selection. Instead of koopas or coins, use blocks to signify the difficulty. Then you can have the pipe not cutoff into blackness
Is it not hard enough? I could barely beat it. Giant phanto would make it much harder.
I was talking about two different parts. It takes a while for the level to get more difficult. The phanto idea was for your request for level idea for the second half.

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Thank you limepie! I was debating that when I was developing it. Changed to 2 small phantos. Oh also, small phantos use the correct palette in Lunar Magic but not in-game (the big ones are fine though). updated link

Thanks again!

shdwdrgnix

You're over thinking it. Easy has nothing, you could at least make it look like a playground version of the level.
That I can do.
I mean the pipe selection. Instead of koopas or coins, use blocks to signify the difficulty. Then you can have the pipe not cutoff into blackness
I can also do that
I was talking about two different parts. It takes a while for the level to get more difficult. The phanto idea was for your request for level idea for the second half.
In that case, then it is a great idea since I nuked the second half, therefore, I can build it again with the phanto in mind. I will also increase the difficulty a bit at the start.

Thanks for the feedback.

limepie20

frostyfish88 wrote:Oh also, small phantos use the correct palette in Lunar Magic but not in-game (the big ones are fine though)
Don't worry about that. I just looked into that, and that is a problem with the inserted sprite. I'll get systemkrash to fix it for the next baserom.

SyStemkraSh5642

Postby SyStemkraSh5642 » 7 years ago

The phanto's palette should be palette 8 now.

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Postby swirlybomb » 7 years ago

A2MT intro, version the third: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14760273/Talkha ... ntroV3.ips

Thanks to Diortem for coding the second area for me (and showing me how to patch things).
Also based on his suggestion, the fake goalpost uses the same surrounding level geometry as the starting screen of 'So Close, Yet So...' for thematic-like purposes (ie. it appears at both the beginning and the end of the game).
and stuff
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Here is an image of the section I'm currently working on for the final level. Just setup the palette a bit ago now I'm messing around with it, nothing is final or tested currently. It's going to be based off of raocows falling mega spike level, and the palette is based off another levels palette in ASMT.

Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Good thing I mentioned nothing is final as things have been changed already.

spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Science's lair version 1

The first area should be completed in theory, except for the music.
The second area is in progress.

>Download<
>First level, first pipe<

Things I would like to get feedback on:

First area:
-Is the white section of the scrolling overlay too dense?

Second area:
-I would like to have some feedback on the "gameplay" 'cause it's kind of unusual.
-Was the big gear's square hit-box a problem to you?
-Is the second area's music fitting? I have weird musical taste, so it's hard for me to tell if I did well.

-Considering that the 2nd area should be 3 to 4 times longer, will the whole thing be too long for what the Sibling halls are supposed to be.
-Anything else really
ImageImage

limepie20

spitz:
Wow. What a level.
I don't really understand your question for the first level. I think you should get those slanted hurt blocks for the gears, yes. Also, you don't have to worry about the music. We will have a boss track that goes in every boss level.
So your level right now is probably too long. I think a good length would be if you cut the rainbow level in half or in a quarter, and keep the same length as the second sublevel right now. Think about it; this will go at the end of a level, which is already a full level, and this is just the boss section at the end of it. Pick out your favorite parts and use those.
I understand what you are trying to do with the gamplay of the second half of the level, and is quite interesting. The idea is definitely creative; some kind of gravity gimmick might be fun for this boss sublevel. I think the gimmick will need to be optimized a bit, though. You are probably used to the controls, but they are very very difficult to master. I can kinda do it with the key alright, but I still don't really understand the controls without the key. And this is the second half of the level, so one would always die a few times a the beginning learning the controls, but then they have to redo the rainbow section, and it would get frustrating.
Try making something similar but without using the water physics. I think that's really what makes the controls weird; they utilize the water physics. If you can come up with something more seamless, you could make something truly fun.
You could do something like making mario jump higher but at a slower speed. Maybe you could do double-jumping or something. Or you could do a VVVVVV type thing (which might be hard to code, but someone tried to make a vvvvvv level before; you could snag whatever code they had finished from them). I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Damn. That's harsh. :)

Where do I start? I understand the length problem, though, if I was to decide, I would prefer to get rid of the first half. It doesn't have anything to do with Science and it could be used somewhere else if a level needs to be lengthened or I could start a personal romhack and recycle it that way. I would have liked to know about the music. I spend a whole day figuring MML editing in-depth and composing the song. I'm not really complaining since it can also be used for something else, but more info in the op would have been nice.

If I was to keep the middle sublevel to retain a part of the pursuit idea and double/triple the last area, would that be a good length? The only other Sibling hall I have seen and played is Cup's and it is 21 screens long and fairly hard. My second half currently has barely 4 screens, although screen number is probably not a good indication alone. I would also say that my first half is way easier than Cup's level, but it doesn't matter if I remove it anyway. You have a point that it's a pain to replay it every time to get to the hard part. That's another reason why I want to get rid of it.

About improving the second area, I don't have the knowledge and time to learn how to modify the game physics. I can maybe succeed with the gear's hitbox, but that's already quite a lot time-wise. There is no reason not to use the propeller btw. One thing I could do would be to give the propeller at the beginning to make this clearer, move the two sections I have made higher, make an easier part at the beginning to give the player some time to learn the gimmick and space the gears in the zigzagy tunnel. That is something I could do and I think that the added practice space, plus respawning right there after dying should be sufficient to make this easy enough.

I have also made this test with goo (tile 403) instead of water.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4676540/smw/Sci ... 20test.ips

I like it less and it doesn't work with slanted ceilings, but you get more control and it works well with the horizontal tunnels. Maybe if whoever made the goo block could make one with half the effect? I would prefer to keep the water though and make the changes I just said if it's alright with you.

So, what do you think?
ImageImage

limepie20

So if you didn't make the asm for this level, who did? Maybe we can optimize it in some way; I don't know.
Also, I prefer the water over the goo at this point. If you just gave the fish right at the start, it may be better, but I'd like someone else to play it first to have a second opinion on the physics.

Return to “A2MT”