(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Oct. 6th

Post by limepie20 »

If you need outlines, we have those outlines of the watermelon triangles inserted and if you just use the bottom corners of them, I think you can make an outline of a square. If that helps.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Thanks to those 2 map16 slots, I'm still using the exgfx of a dragoncoin outline for what I'm using, but it's now white. So yeah.

I'm using it to show where Mario appears when he enters a door, because the door is acting more like a warp instead of a literal door. But I suppose that's normal in mario. :lol:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think it would be cooler if you just took Demo's sprite and made it into an outline. It would look a lot better and make more sense.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Geez, I'm sort of posting this last minute aren't I? Anyway, here's my update, I'm sorry to say that I didn't make as much progress in this one as I did in the other ones, but here it is none the less. Basically, I added more of the main gimmick, added the ending platform, and the treasure chest pipe in the top left corner, which leads to the treasure chest room. Also, I'm having a problem, I can't figure out how to get the screen to scroll when you jump onto the two higher platforms, advice on that would be great, google sure isn't helping. Finally, yes, I know that it looks crummy, I'm going to add the custom sprites and everything, AFTER I finish designing and making the level, so the garbage sprites will be fixed.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

limepie20 wrote:I think it would be cooler if you just took Demo's sprite and made it into an outline. It would look a lot better and make more sense.
Eh, that would only work if demo was in the correct state of being big or small or not, wouldn't it?
Right now it's just a circular orb floating around, and I think it's fine. :P
EDIT: Since this is a new page, I'll put my last important post here.
AUS wrote:A Layer 2 Romp.
Ignore the second half of the main part of the level for now (the part where everything becomes Layer 2 except the BG) because that's probably going to be changed. Instead, go to/find the sublevel and get the treasure and give any comments you have along the way.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

I can't believe 21+ days have gone by. I know I'm a little late and even more egregious, I don't really have too much content to show. My job has been hitting me hard and I've just worked the last ten days in a row. But I am basically done with the level design aspect of my level. i just need to update it to the latest baserom, figure out how I'm going to do the graphics of some of my sprites, and upload it somewhere. This is a screenshot of my last sublevel.
There are fundamentally two routes here. The harder route will take you to the chest at the base of the sublevel (that contained area to the left of the screen). I tossed in a pit off screen so you can kill yourself if you take the easy route without realizing this. As I write this, I am trying to figure out another way to indicate the two routes (I've used both message boxes). The flopping fish are going to become flopping Octobros.
As I said, if you want to take my level away because I'm late, that really will suck but I messed up so it'll be my fault. Once I'm done here, I think I'm just going to do simple 'dredging' fixups. Vertical levels are a real pain to design.
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

I'm going to be a bit late posting my update, I should be posting in at around 9 AM EST, I just got out of bed to grab my laptop so I could make this post because I forgot that I had to post progress on the 6th... I didn't feel like turning on my desktop which is where my level and all the stuff about it is, so it is going to have to wait until later. If I don't get it in on time, I guess I'll run to the sign up thread and resign up for my level. (and by that I mean when the next deadline is determined because that's what raocow said the actual deadline is.) For now, anyway, time to try and get to sleep.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

AUS wrote:Eh, that would only work if demo was in the correct state of being big or small or not, wouldn't it?
that's easily fixed with some levelasm. Come on let's do it.

TheGuyWhoIsSitting:
I want to see the next deadline completed in time. You miss it almost every time.
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

JellyBlock wrote:Well, I think I'm as done with my level as I'll ever be and I want you peeps' opinions on whether or not you think it's fully done or if there's anything I should tweak or add. I slightly tweaked a couple of minor things and darkened the background VERY slightly just because it seemed a wee bit too vibrant. Here be the IPS if you want to give it a hopefully final go.
Your level seems to suffer a little bit from item juggling, except without the items. You get sent in pointless circles. A few times throughout it you have to go in through those arrows in a loop to get a coin. There is no real point to having those in there. There is relatively no danger from enemies, and the time limit is so large.

You either need to stretch your level out sideways more, spread the coins out.
OR add more challenges in those little arrow mazes.

The level structure is really really great. You just need to fix this one thing because, as we have witnessed before...Making players go in a pointless loop kind of kills a good mood.
TheGuyWhoIsSitting

Post by TheGuyWhoIsSitting »

limepie20 wrote: TheGuyWhoIsSitting:
I want to see the next deadline completed in time. You miss it almost every time.
Yes, I do miss it quite often. I'm sorry about that, I was planning on posting before the deadline but they always come up so fast that I forget about them, I was going to post right around midnight but it completely slipped my mind, I guess I should just use the sticky note thing to remind me every day so I will be on time next deadline.

I have changed my level direction though, I was going to try and make it a level that required you to explore quite a lot to get all the dragon coins, but I didn't want to make a level that takes more time to 100% than it should take, I'd rather have a shorter level and not a long level that's boring and repetitive.
oh boy the start
you'll never guess which block they're programmed to act like.
and this pipe takes you to...
This place... oh wait I freaking forgot to save my map 16 changes...
That's better.
Layer 2 effects not quite working out entirely here, but hopefully I'll get those things ironed out since Layer 2 is so picky at times.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

limepie20 wrote:
AUS wrote:Eh, that would only work if demo was in the correct state of being big or small or not, wouldn't it?
that's easily fixed with some levelasm. Come on let's do it.
Heck no. That sounds like a really bad reason for me to fiddle with level asm again. It took way too long to get help last time, and this isn't even something that's needed. I like how it looks, and I'm not crazy about changing it. :roll:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well, okay whatever suits you.

(If you needed a code I could probably make one, those kinds are easy)
(Also, it would look fine if it was always big demo anyway)
AUS
Toni#4796

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Oct. 28th

Post by AUS »

I might make it for big demo only.
I don't mean to sound offended (or offensive) but I'm scared of ASM personally. :lol:
I prefer to make it vanilla.

Besides, it switching from small to big, though that might be awesome [as in, something you wouldn't normally see] it might just be jarring. :P

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is... ...Um...Oh, yeah, the point is my level has a new sublevel that needs to be tested.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

EDIT: New IPS: Here.

I would have qualms with releasing another so soon, except nobody downloaded the last one.
Changes from when anyone actually played: The level has a sublevel now, and the ending is stretched out a bit better, and the gimmick is showed off more.
NOTE: This translates to the level is now much harder.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

Finished SPC of Tension, though Chipamp sort of derps the tempo a bit, and it's off from the original song by what sounds like half a semitone... (nothing I can do there, SMW just has derpy tuning it seems)

Any feedback?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Just a few comments on some of the levels. Listen to it or ignore it, that's up to you. :P

Gwaur - 11F:
-What's up with the random invisible coin block after the first ?-block wall? It was very random to find it there. Couldn't find any other significant glitches in your level.
-The only other real thing I noticed is that the FG palette of the dirt could use a little touch. Not that it is bad, but it's just a bit bland.
Kevinski555 - BottomRightLevel:
-Very nice use of the 'castle destruction' scene. I liked that one!
-That Thwomp boss is glitched. On my first try I got to the section with the first hidden
mushroom, but the boss didn't follow me. I did hear a lot of blocks breaking, but I couldn't see him anymore. Since there's no way to climb up to check out where he is, I got stuck here as the time ran out.
-Couldn't find the chest... Maybe I didn't check the level well enough, though.
Jellyblock - Coin Town USA:
-Regular Bush graphics glitch out in your ROM during the intro screen
-A messagebox at the beginning would help to tell the player that he has to collect coins. I was expecting it by the level name, but some sort of message would still be added value to the level.
-Where were you going to hide the chest?
-It's a short level that doesn't look too hard, but it has no power ups. Thus if the player makes, just one mistake he has to start all over again. I think I see why you refrained from the powerups as most of the corridors are just one tile high.
-The purple triangles look like FG, which makes it impossible to tell you can run up along them. Can these be turned back into the regular melon blocks, or at least something that stands out?
Shdwdrgnix - When cold, make sure to dress warmly
-I haven't played through your level yet. Just took a glance at it in LM.
-Seeing you inserted the regular SMW sprite sets, that will gives issues with the chest. I couldn't tell were you hid it. You'll need to replace a few tiles in GFX00. Otherwise, no chest can be inserted in your level.
Last edited by Diortem 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

@Diortem My map is 12E and 030[sublevel] and my level has no wall of ? blocks nor any ? blocks, so you probably have been playing someone else's level. :oops:

If that's the case, I would still like you to comment on my level. Get it directly here, and it's called "A Layer 2 Romp" and I don't know why the name doesn't show up ingame, but it just doesn't.
EDIT: For everyone else, have some screenshots!
A2MT_00000.PNG
A2MT_00001.PNG
A2MT_00002.PNG
A2MT_00003.PNG
A2MT_00004.PNG
A2MT_00005.PNG
A2MT_00006.PNG
A2MT_00007.PNG
A2MT_00008.PNG
A2MT_00009.PNG
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

AUS - you're right. That was Gwaur's. It would help a lot of people named their IPS patch 'user name - level name'.ips. I'll see to yours in a moment.

Edit:
AUS - Layer 2 romp
-The player is in immediate danger when entering the level from the hopping flame. I personally, don't mind it too much, but it's preferred have the first screen (or at least until the player starts moving) to be a safe spot.
-The first invisible ?-block is a bit too high up. Making 5-tile vertical jumps on a single square isn't hard, it's very cumbersome. Can't it really be lowered one tile?
-One half of the midway point dissappears behind Layer 2. This looks kinda odd.
-What are those flying wing blocks doing in the top bottom right corner?
-You could add a few more coins or stuff. Apart from the floating land segments your level looks pretty empty
-The combination of moving Layer 2 and auto scroll makes the last section pretty much undoable for me without savestating every single jump. Mainly, because you constantly have to correct the jumps for the auto-scrolling. I don't mind if I die a few times, but I really couldn't get through this other than just 'guessing/mashing' the jump button...

*chest subsection*
-This vertical Layer 2 modification works nicer than the horizontal one, but that's also because of how it's delivered to the user
-ALL CAPS MESSAGES SENTENCES USUALLY DON'T LOOK TOO WELL, NOW DON'T THEY? Eventhough, SMW did this it would be better to go without
-Some of elevator have blind jumps leading to a bottomless pit if you don't know you're supposed to press right all the time to end up in a ledge at the very bottom of the screen.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

@Diortem
-The player is in immediate danger when entering the level from the hopping flame. I personally, don't mind it too much, but it's preferred have the first screen (or at least until the player starts moving) to be a safe spot.
-The first invisible ?-block is a bit too high up. Making 5-tile vertical jumps on a single square isn't hard, it's very cumbersome. Can't it really be lowered one tile?
-One half of the midway point dissappears behind Layer 2. This looks kinda odd.
Will fix.
-The combination of moving Layer 2 and auto scroll makes the last section pretty much undoable for me without savestating every single jump.
I'm not sure if you mean Layer 2 autoscroll + autoscroll or Layer 2 physics + Layer 2 Autoscroll which is what is actually happening. You can eliminate the former by keeping high and to the right so as not to scroll the screen.
-ALL CAPS MESSAGES SENTENCES USUALLY DON'T LOOK TOO WELL, NOW DON'T THEY? Eventhough, SMW did this it would be better to go without
Eh? These are the messages:
- HEY THERE GUY! -
-- DIRECTIONS --

DOOR Main land.

RIGHT Chest.

HAVE A GOOD ONE!
- HEY THERE GUY! -
Guide to Layer Two
Elevators

1 Don't look down.
2 Jump furiously.
3 Have fun.
4 Admit \23\2A(18) and up.
The parts that are in all caps I feel it doesn't matter that they're in all caps if you know what I mean? I dunno, I'll think about it.
-Some of elevator have blind jumps leading to a bottomless pit if you don't know you're supposed to press right all the time to end up in a ledge at the very bottom of the screen.
It's to be noted that the chest path is more dastardly than the single parrotcoin path, but I may add something in the message block and/or change a few platforms.
Thank you for the comments. :)
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Hay there, So my level is still beta so please post some feed back of this video that my friend made that shows my level (ignore the title saying "Diddykaizo100", that is my other name):

The Great Pit!

Enjoy, and for some reason each parrot coin gives me 2 parrot coin for some reason, sorry, cant fix that :(

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Davvic

Post by Davvic »

Diddyboy100 wrote:Hay there, So my level is still beta so please post some feed back of this video that my friend made that shows my level (ignore the title saying "Diddykaizo100", that is my other name):

The Great Pit!

Enjoy, and for some reason each parrot coin gives me 2 parrot coin for some reason, sorry, cant fix that :(
That actually looks like a REALLY fun level. There were a few spots where you just kind of sit on the coin snake. Parts where nothing really happens and you dont have to move. Just fix those and this will be a sweet level.

Normally coin snake levels can get pretty frustrating pretty quick, this one doesnt seem to have that. Granted, you may want to change the music because it makes everything feel like you need to rush to me.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

@Diortem: I have updated the level, and made the ending easier. You said you couldn't beat it without tools earlier, would you be willing to try now? :P
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Davvic wrote:
Diddyboy100 wrote:Hay there, So my level is still beta so please post some feed back of this video that my friend made that shows my level (ignore the title saying "Diddykaizo100", that is my other name):

The Great Pit!

That actually looks like a REALLY fun level. There were a few spots where you just kind of sit on the coin snake. Parts where nothing really happens and you dont have to move. Just fix those and this will be a sweet level.

Normally coin snake levels can get pretty frustrating pretty quick, this one doesnt seem to have that. Granted, you may want to change the music because it makes everything feel like you need to rush to me.
Do you have any recommendations on how to change the music?

Also, yeah, This level was based out of 2 levels of 2 games, one was the level that you fall from Vip 5, and the other is the 2nd last level of Kevino's Quest 2 Moltov LP'ed.

and Yeah, I know it will need more exiting parts but yeah, this is one of my "Serious" Level.

And thanks for enjoying watching the level :lol:
The Chest is in the pipe you come out to the 2nd part of the pit.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

I'll make the chest more obvious :)
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

I'm back in the project!!

I still feel really guilty about missing the deadline. Nothing going on in your real life justifies it. Anyways, here's the update!

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13354/A2MT%2Bpatch.ips

Notes:
-There are lots of cement blocks behind the land, because I previously wanted to use custom graphics on top of them. It didn't work out though, because I can't seem to learn graphics creation.
-The cement blocks in the secret path/bonus area will be replaced once I can find those tiles.
-The chest will be added to in the cavey place near the midpoint.

Level information: This level is a reference to VIP1, complete with it's awkward level design. Yes, it's intentional. It's not all the way through, it's only present in the middle. I didn't do it like that so that people go like: "oh my gosh the level design is a VIP1 reference!". It's only there to recreate the nostalgic feel that I have when I play the VIPs. The Banzai Bill will be replaced by a steak (dodge the beefsteak!). The bonus area/secret path is a reference to the MissingNo level, except that it's only a few screens long and really not that hard. The area of the normal goal is a recreation of the ending of Boon's Mechanism Mansion, the oh so dreaded 20 levels in one thingamabob. The music there is also intentional.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!