(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
ProfessorDemetri

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline Aug. 25th

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

JellyBlock wrote:If you don't feel up to downloading and playing my level, I just made a video for it!
A2MT Update 8-5-11
I know you've been working on this for a long time... and as you've pretty much done, I don't see a problem about letting you keep it. Granted, I had to think about this for a long time.
But here's some thoughts on the video. Granted, I posted these on your video too.
Concerning the powerups, every level, Demo starts off as small Demo, so you don't need to be taking away anything anyway.

The maze is fine, and the fact that you've been working on it for the past, long time, is just yourself wanting it to be done. It's fine.

For the blue blocks, just put in a reset door... If they run out, they can reset the area.

I'd also like to see a custom graphic for the coin gate.
Also, for the palette...

Yeah, I'd change the brown of the ground. Either change it to an orange color, or a green color. I actually like the two tonal palette of the level.

As for the music, in LM, click on the note block, to the far right of the screen, and take it from there. Granted, most of the level music will be changed into our own A2MT default music... so yeah.
Leifytwig123 wrote:Thank you Lobster Horde and Professer Demetri for helping me with my problem, so here's the actual bitmap image now! :D Anyway, I haven't gotten very far yet, I've just started outlining the levels with blocks, but I do have most of it drawn out on paper so I should be almost done by next update, maybe even completely done! Here it is!
So right now, as it stands, it's looking really bland, and really empty.. there's just cement blocks at the moment... I'd like to see more of the actual level, instead of a skeleton.
But I'm glad you got it to work! Thanks for updating!
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
capefeather

Post by capefeather »

raocow's recent update video has been kind of a last straw in a number of real life factors, rather than a primary reason for what I'm about to say.

I am simply not up to regularly and frequently maintaining a SMW level for this project now. Maybe I never was. Part of it is that I got myself involved in some other internet projects, but mostly it's my inability thus far to take control of my life from family and others who have chronically taken to putting me down when they perceive that my life isn't going very well (they do it to each other too). In the summer, I can't get any reliable block of time to myself, and during the school terms, I feel depressed and unmotivated much of the time. Ultimately, I have bigger things to worry about than learning a (tbf) clunky and convoluted level editing schema that requires the use of freaking assembly code. I really don't need yet another reason to be depressed.

Basically, I don't think that I'll be doing much with my level anymore. Does that mean I should give it up? Maybe it can still be cleared and submitted. I had bigger plans for this level (as far as sprites and music go) as recently as last week, but I'm giving those up.

I've taken some of the suggestions, so below is the level as it is, and probably as it will be, if at all.
Attachments
1a.rar
(364.87 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
ProfessorDemetri

I'm sorry to hear about that cape.
You know you didn't need to make something complicated, you could have just made something more simple.
But if you're not going to be updating anymore, then I don't see the point in continueing onward. It sounds like you need to be concentrating on more important things, at the moment. That's completely understandable.
As for this project, like I said, if you can't be updating on a regular basis, then maybe it's time to step down.
Saying that, I haven't played your recent patch, but we can definately add it to the dredge project, so someone else can start it up and finish it, if that's not too much of a problem.
I'm sorry this project stressed you out even more. That sucks...
I hope you feel better soon though!
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

I'm still having problems with my emulators for whatever reason T_T

This is ready for testing, too.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Tails_155:
It was a nice, fun level, for how much has been made so far. The only issue is that most of the ceilings aren't solid, but are one-way blocks that trap you inside the rock formation. I posted one example, but I could get it to happen on almost every ceiling using the rock/dirt contrast. I assume the end of the autoscroll section is meant to lead to a test room, since the next sublevel isn't done, but if not, there's an issue there, too. I don't quite get what's going on with the midpoint being right at the beginning and the point of the stuff to the right of it, but since the level isn't done yet, I can't really comment on it out of full context.
Attachments
grotto.png
grotto.png (42.77 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

capefeather: I'm sorry to hear about your level too. I didn't realize you had bigger and more complicated plans for this level than what you had presented. From my experiences playing it, I figured you were close to clearing it. I have a very short window between job shifts right now and cannot test your level (precious sleep awaits) but unless there is some glaring error in your level, I would consider posting it in the level clearing thread. You may have a little bit of work to do afterwards but I think its better than just scrapping your level.

And I hope you do end up feeling better someday. Don't be afraid to seek some more professional help if you need it too. Someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, you'll be loading raocow's daily video and see him conquering (or failing) your level and it'll make the effort worth iti.

I hope to do some testing and stuff after work tomorrow, including your level.
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

SOME STREAM-OF-CONSCIOUSNESS COMMENTS ON LEVELS FROM A LESS-SKILLED MARIO PLAYER:
NOW WITH 50% LESS INCORRECT NAMES!

JellyBlock-
I've gotta say, I love the color of the ground.
There's a bit of cutoff in the part to your right as you enter.
I like how the koopa is set to bounce in then out of the starting pit.
I also like how the triangle looks like part of the ground.
The palette on the yoshi muncher looks kinda off, unless you wanted a sort of two-color pattern. also, I think we're currently using sawblade munchers so it may look completely different in the final release.
All in all, though that was a fun little level. I was able to get all thirty needed coins and reach the goal. However, there are a few things I would change about this level. I found it was possible to drop a springboard down a one block-wide space and then to be unable to go down it. If it happens after the yellow turn block that the player must use a blue block to break down, they are doubly trapped.
ometeotl-
This is a pretty neat level, especially with all the graphical replacements for the enemies.
First, thank you for making the homing bullet bill have an indication of how close it is to 'homing' at you, its very helpful.
In the second area, Demo's eye seems a bit off. is it supposed to be all dark like that?
To the right of the (i think third) window in the seccond area is a bit of unclimbable space.
also, the next place a homing bullet spawned, I kept randomly dying. I'm not sure why, though.
That's an amazing picture in the background of the third area.
Am I supposed to be able to get over the escalator part without taking a hit and using the invincibility to hop on the spike thing?
At this point, i died while hopping on toast and savestated accidentally, so I looked at the level in Lunar Magic from that point on and had no more comments.
TurboPup-
First off, your level, graphically, is AMAZING. I especially like the rock thingy. and the waterfall - wow.
Your message box is misspelled, it's insanity, not insantiy.
Also holy shit you've got little mushroom platforms in the background.
Unfortunately, the first underwater part was too hard for me so from here on I'm looking at it in lunar magic.
I do like how you've got different levels of light in the water though. that looks nice.
In page 0f, you've got a bit of cutoff, both from the left edge of the right ceiling, and one of the dark zigzags.
Finally, that glowy rock you've got in the evilverse is pretty neato.
Profesor Demetri-
I would suggest moving the ledge things down during the first temporary platform section, as I kept running into the second cat claw as it descended.
On a side note, how many claws does this cat have?
I also liked how a bunch of stuff was walk-on-able, it really made it feel like a house.
I liked the boss fight, but could you please do something about the bullet bills so they don't appear right in front of or on top of you unavoidably?
Davvic -
I was unable to go anywhere on the map but forest fortress so hopefully that's your level.
Neat effect there with the paralax stars in the background, although they are a slightly different shade of black than the background tiles around them.
This might just be my opinion, but I feel it would look better if you took out the bottom part of the first bone and make it look like it was sticking out of the ground. feel free to disregard that though.
In the bit below the tofu jumping, why not add some bones and create a skeleton of a moon creature?
Just after the koopa hopping, the top of the vine stops a bit before reaching the cieling.
Also, why is the ledge to the right of the vine not solid? One time I flew right over the ground and straight into the pit.
Finally, what are you supposed to do in the purple room? I saw the spring, and jumped on some rocks to reach it, but then there was a rock I couldn't seem to jump over...
Schnurmanator -
First off, great looking level! Unfortunately, I didn't get to play much of it, as I'm not that good - I just kept falling into pits and hitting bullet bills until I gave up and looked at it in Lunar magic.
From what I did get to, I'm afraid I must disagree with the guy who said your treasure was too easy to get to. Unless he was using some other method than falling down a nearby ledge and moving towards it, I would say it's pretty hard. I got the treasure on only one try, and then I fell down.
For the second area, I'm assuming you're gonna be replacing the yoshi skulls,rope and lava to something more suited to your graphical style.
I would recommend using whatever solid red block lava uses, and making three new tiles, setting them to act like the top of a lava block, and lava slanting left and right. Then just put in the 8x8 tile on the bottom two blocks, or all but the top right or left one. Sorry if you didn't need that detailed of a suggestion, but it's probably better to make it, just in case it's helpful.
Also, you seem to have some disembodied lava floating at the top of screen 06.
Last edited by Lobster_Horde 12 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

FFFFFF

All stuff that could be easily caught if ZSNES or SNES9X would work right ._.

Try this one -.-;

Also, could you in-line the pic and spoiler it? I don't want raocow to see the graphics accidentally (at a glance)
Last edited by Tails_155 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Lobster_Horde wrote: ometeotl -
I was unable to go anywhere on the map but forest fortress so hopefully that's your level.
Neat effect there with the paralax stars in the background, although they are a slightly different shade of black than the background tiles around them.
This might just be my opinion, but I feel it would look better if you took out the bottom part of the first bone and make it look like it was sticking out of the ground. feel free to disregard that though.
In the bit below the tofu jumping, why not add some bones and create a skeleton of a moon creature?
Just after the koopa hopping, the top of the vine stops a bit before reaching the cieling.
Also, why is the ledge to the right of the vine not solid? One time I flew right over the ground and straight into the pit.
Finally, what are you supposed to do in the purple room? I saw the spring, and jumped on some rocks to reach it, but then there was a rock I couldn't seem to jump over...
Nope, that ain't mine.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I haven't had the chance to try the third one yet, but the second IPS still had the ceiling issue. The sublevel after the Layer2 was there this time....but it wasn't set to Water level controls.
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

EDIT: FIX'D. Also yeah Ometeotl, I was referring to the darkening effect. It seems to me to be a lot better than nothing.
Ometeotl wrote: Nope, that ain't mine.
Sorry about that. Yours might be the one under davvic. If so, I'll edit the names around. I'll check tomorrow, right now I'm going to bed.
Last edited by Lobster_Horde 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Tails_155:
Ok, I went through the third IPS, and it's working better. The sublevels seem to be connected in a way that makes more sense, but the ceiling issue was still present. The return pipe from the red&blue room that held a parrot coin puts you in the right place (although it should be placed one tile further down, or else it looks like your emerging from air), but the water level settings were no longer intact. I played again, avoiding going in the pipe, and it seems fine. After the Layer2 room, though, that pipe placed me at the same spot that the return from the red&blue pipe, complete with lack of water level settings. Also, the two message boxes were blank. Dunno if that was supposed to happen or what. As for the aesthetics, I liked them. The sprites looked suitably funny, and that block of coins also making that face made me laugh. The odd clashing of the level times looked nice and the colors suited the goofiness inherent in the level.
This is a pretty neat level, especially with all the graphical replacements for the enemies.
First, thank you for making the homing bullet bill have an indication of how close it is to 'homing' at you, its very helpful.
In the second area, Demo's eye seems a bit off. is it supposed to be all dark like that?
To the right of the (i think third) window in the seccond area is a bit of unclimbable space.
also, the next place a homing bullet spawned, I kept randomly dying. I'm not sure why, though.
That's an amazing picture in the background of the third area.
Am I supposed to be able to get over the escalator part without taking a hit and using the invincibility to hop on the spike thing?
At this point, i died while hopping on toast and savestated accidentally, so I looked at the level in Lunar Magic from that point on and had no more comments.
Yup, sounds like mine. I'd like to point out that the only sprite replacement I implemented is the firebars, everything else are the global replacements inherent in the hack.

I'm not sure what you mean about "indication of how close it is to homing at you", since I only gave it a general flashing effect to differentiate it.

Thanks, there was the wrong tile there for some reason.

Yes, it should be possible to make that jump without getting hurt.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

How about now? ._.;;

I think I fixed everything... I hope I fixed everything.
ProfessorDemetri

So waiting for my previous level to get cleared, or reviewed by someone that can clear things, I decided to keep working on another level? Assuming there will still be stuff once I get cleared.

First part, yo.
I'm working on turning the powerups into castlevania powerups, like random turkeys, or pot roasts or crosses or what not.
WHAT A TERRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE!
WHAT A TERRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE!
Level138.png (254.99 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Also, if someone could tell me how to make a defaulted horizontal level, into a vertical level, that would be just swell.
EDIT:

Tails:
This is really nicely made. It looks great, and the faces of the... blocks, enemies, everything, creep me out and make me laugh. Also, the duality of the colors, is great too.
What I'd suggest doing, firstly, is adding about 20 seconds to the clock, as the first time I played through this, I beat the level with 5 seconds remaining.
Also, the autoscrolling part, with the block in the middle, is kinda scarce. Might want to add a few more enemies, or something, because honestly, I got through most of it, by ducking or being small, and just following atop the block.
Also, is there any particular reason why, when the p-switch is pushed, the coins stay looking at coins, but act like blocks, and vice versa? It kinda threw me off for awhile, thinking that I had used the pswitch in the wrong place... I'd perfer it to act normally, but if that was the plan, to disorientate the player, I guess you could keep it in...
Yeah, that's all I got from this patch. Solid :)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Tails_155:
Just gave your level a playthrough, and it was decent. As always, your aesthetics are quite nice, and they don't actually feel too tacked on this time like most of your levels. The smiling faces were a nice touch, and it was great that you were consistent with them - that is, they were on virtually everything.

...however, the layer 2 room wasn't exactly great for the rest of the level. It's pretty obvious you focused more on the gimmick itself and not enough on the actual traps. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it's not boring. You can essentially dodge every single obstacle, barring one Torpedo Ted, by swimming along the top. That is, there is absolutely no reason why the player would ever want to go down below. I recognize this is supposed to be an easy level, but it's still possible to make an easy level interesting by NOT having two minutes of mashing B and holding right. Mix it up a bit - make it so the player has to navigate up and down, and build your architecture around that.

Couple of specific bugs that the others missed:

-This tile acts like 25 for whatever reason. None of the others do.

-Not sure why you'd put a mushroom behind this block and not, say, the rightmost block. What would happen if Demo was already big? The fire flower would get stuck there, unless this is an always-mushroom block.

Overall, it's a decent level with a solid base, but the second half is dull. Try to fix that up, and I'd say you're good to go.
JellyBlock

Post by JellyBlock »

Lobster_Horde wrote: JellyCar-
I've gotta say, I love the color of the ground.
There's a bit of cutoff in the part to your right as you enter.
I like how the koopa is set to bounce in then out of the starting pit.
I also like how the triangle looks like part of the ground.
The palette on the yoshi muncher looks kinda off, unless you wanted a sort of two-color pattern. also, I think we're currently using sawblade munchers so it may look completely different in the final release.
All in all, though that was a fun little level. I was able to get all thirty needed coins and reach the goal. However, there are a few things I would change about this level. I found it was possible to drop a springboard down a one block-wide space and then to be unable to go down it. If it happens after the yellow turn block that the player must use a blue block to break down, they are doubly trapped.
My name ain't JellyCar, guy. Is there a person named JellyCar elsewhere on the talkhaus? Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Tails:
Well, you fixed the ceilings which is good and added more obstacles to the Layer2 two room, but I think it's still a bit barren. Also, needs more time. I've played this level before, and I still nearly ran out of time, and that's without getting to the chest.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I gave it 551 seconds (hur hur cwutIdid)
And still the autoscroll section, specifically? If so, any suggestions for where to add something?
Lobster_Horde

Post by Lobster_Horde »

Painting The Treehouse is at version two and (hopefully) ready for comments from you good folks here in the testing thread! Thanks to Isocitration for the bird graphics and help finding some map16 blocks and CheeseofDoom for the palette and helping me out back when I had even less idea what I was doing. Also, thanks to Keckcellent for feedback on the first version of this level. Hopefully I've gotten rid of the slowdown and improved the side rooms.

POTENTIALLY HELPFUL NOTES:
To get to the level, go one space right on the map screen.
This level has a secret exit, as well as the treasure chest and all five parrot coins.
There is an extra silver P switch for testing purposes, it will be removed.

So, please let me know what you think of my level. If there's anything you don't like about it, please don't be afraid to point it out. If there's anything you like about it, please feel free to share that as well.

Link: http://files.chemicalservers.com/downlo ... fn=ptt.ips

Also, please give your opinion on which vertical log you like. I personally like the one third from the left:
It's supposed to be a sort of mossy tree,  but if no palette works for that, there's the one on the far right.
It's supposed to be a sort of mossy tree, but if no palette works for that, there's the one on the far right.
PotentialPalettes.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
----
Goofy Grotto V5 comments: (written as I play)
Why not make the teleport to the second area make you come out a little higher, so it kinda looks like Demo just dives in?
It seems to me you're missing a golden opportunity to have more faces. As far as I could tell, you didn't have the face in the landmass - you should be able to pull it off with the map16 tiles you've currently got.
In the autoscrolling section, why not put a block with a face on it in the middle of the 9x9 square? or perhaps, if you have the map16 tiles for it, make it a 9x9 silly face?
I didn't get whatever is unlocked by the p-switch you need to be big to get, I kept getting hit. However, I'm not really that good, so the difficulty is quite probably fine as I didn't die outright.
Looking back, I suppose I didn't really offer that many comments. To be frank, I keep myself commenting on what I know, and when I test a level like this one that doesn't have many bugs that show themselves on a casual playthrough, I'm afraid I can't be as much help.

Also, you said you needed to see the logs in the context of the full palette. Putting aside the obvious bias in this suggestion, why not check out my level above? It's got log #3 in all the places I plan to use them. If you would prefer not to, just ask me and I can upload a pic of the logs as they currently are in the level.
Last edited by Lobster_Horde 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

for 3 I'd lower the highlight brightness a bit... the spots look a bit funky -- opinion.

I'd need to see it in the context of the whole palette to give the best response possible.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Demetri:
Hmm, very nice Castlevania level. I would suggest une thing: Replacing enemies with Castlevania enemies like using Medusa heads for Eeries and Skeletons for Hammer Bros. ;)
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

Tails_155:
Your most recent version is the only version of your level that I have tested so I don't know what you came from. But throughout the level, I heard raocow laughing and saying 'thats so goofy' so I'm sure its a good thing. The level was very consistently strong, both design wise and graphically wise. I was all over the place in the Layer 2 section but I understand the other peoples criticisms of it. The one glitch I did find was when you leave the sublevel with the Big Boo and the Dragon Coin. You are pushed out of the pipe vertically and if you are big, its a forced hit (I believe).
Lobster_Horde:
I wrote extensive feedback on this last night but I have weird cookie issues and it logged me out as I tried to submit the comments and I lost everything I said. I like the improvements but theres still some work to be done. The big objects that are solid only when hit with a P-Switch are good but I think you need to do more with it. You have a gimmick but don't build off of it. The bird message boxes were great but the second one was a bit confusing. I also liked your BG palette - I don't know if I mentioned it last time. On the subject of backgrounds, you need to watch out for BG initial positions. In the first sublevel (with the giant cloud), there was a row of forest on the top row of the BG (above the sky).

As for the slowdown issue, I think you went in the complete opposite direction. That second area (in the pipe behind the tree) was waaaay too easy and had no enemies. Then when I arrived at the end of that area, I still ran into slowdown. I'm pretty sure its the Wiggler ducks. Remove them (or at least one of them), replace them with more standard sprites) and you should be alright. Also, enable buoyancy for this sublevel (lakitu head button). The fish was flopping around in the water. Also, go into Level 104 in Lunar Palette and copy the second half of Palette #7 into your levels. It'll fix the watermelon block & the on/off switch.

But hey, thanks for listening to my feedback. Definetely an improvement.
Schnurmanator:
I don't have much to say that I didn't say in my last feedback for you. Its still a great level and the addition of Donkey Kong makes it greater. Some of the issues still stands (like the 3-ups everywhere). If you know how to insert blocks, I would consider inserting the 'ledge vine' (http://www.smwcentral.net/download.php? ... ype=blocks) block. It'll allow you to climb up onto a ledge while being able to run on top of it as well. I did find the secret as well as figured out how to get to the second area, both of which I assume are very, very incomplete so I won't talk about it now. By the way, what was up with the random powerup powerdown in the beginning?
JellyBlock:
Hey, its still a good level but to be honest, I kind of liked the second half of your previous version. I felt it was a little longer and more challenging but whatever works best for you/the hack. One thing worth noting is the Monty Moles. Depending on where your final level is in overworld, the Monty Moles act differently. In Yoshi's Island submap (which is where we are putting all the levels) the Monty Moles hop out a bit slower than they would elsewhere. Not going to make a huge impact on your level but worth noting.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

wow, I never thought of that! D:

I moved the pipes a bit, I may need someone to check if the pipe, in its current location, works... can a vertical pipe exit start offscreen and still work? (I have it on Y=9, S=1) if someone can test that for me while I continue to flail my arms at my ZSNES, that's be great.