(shouting)

Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Alex-R

Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Post by Alex-R »

Note: We are using HuFlungDu's unofficial addmusic 4.05. If you're having problems with your music breaking or your level crashing, make sure you're using this addmusic.

Welcome to the Custom Music Thread! This is where we talk about the music in a2mt. If you have a song request for your level, or are having problems with inserting something, or just want to discuss the music for A2MT, don't hesitate to ask!

If you want to contribute your own stuff, you're completely welcome to do that. If you make an original song, feel free to post the midi of it here; there's no guarantee that it will get used, but I'll edit it into this post for all to see. If you want to help port stuff to SMW format, that'd be helpful too!

List of all music currently in-game:
http://asmtinfo.co.cc/music

Below is a list of tunes made specifically for a2mt.

Finished Stuff (Unused)
Forest Thing (rockdet)
Water Theme (rockdet) (spc) (txt)
Mansion Theme (Chrom1um)
Ghost Dance (CyclopsDragon)
Original Song (rockdet)
Where Does The Future Go (Wyatt)

Finished Stuff (Used)
Still Waters (Moose)
Cave Theme (SNN)
Snow Theme (Chrom1um)
Volcanic Expedition (Chrom1um)
Castle Theme 1 (Chrom1um)
Castle Theme 2 (Chrom1um)
Something Theme (Chrom1um)

Stuff not yet ported
Troubled Forest (Chrom1um)
Desert Castle (Chrom1um)
Winter Theme (xjC0n)
Frozen Citadel (Yonowaaru)
Haunted Ballroom (Yonowaaru)
Pharaoh's Tomb (Yonowaaru)
Swamp (Yonowaaru)
Minstrel's Song (Yonowaaru)
Wayfarer's song (Yonowaaru)
Dark Times (Yonowaaru)
Oceanic (Yonowaaru)

Overworld Themes (not for use in levels)
Forest (Chrom1um)
Sky (Chrom1um)
Ice (or possibly space) (Chrom1um)
Ice (SNN) (*not ported*)

Reserved (stuff made for a specific situation, don't use these)
New Horizons (Chrom1um) (a2mt Title Theme)
Des Fois, J'ai Peur (Wyatt)
The Lullaby (Wyatt) (Final Boss Theme)
Demo's Lullaby (Wyatt) (???)

Moderators in this thread: Wyatt
Last edited by Wyatt 12 years ago, edited 48 times in total.
S.N.N.

Re: Custom music thread 2.0

Post by S.N.N. »

I have a few ported tracks which likely won't be used anywhere in any projects of mine (currently fixing some tuning issues on this which could be used somewhere in A2MT, perhaps). As I stated in the other thread, I'm especially interested in -composing- for this project moreso than porting (if anyone is interested in the quality of my work, you can check the most recent videos on my YT page linked in my sig). I'm pretty flexible with most themes, although I use custom samples for a lot of my SMW stuff, so if this is a problem with A2MT, let me know (assuming it won't be).

Yep.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I'm highly sure we're going to use sample tool eventually.

I recommend using Carol's addmusic, because it opens up the use of alot more songs (especially a ton of japanese ones I have).

If you know how, it's really easy to use.

edit: And if need be, I'll do that stuff myself (and give detailed instructions) on how to use it.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Supertails and I are working on finishing our music tutorial, which plans to cover Carol's addmusic, $E5, and pretty much everything else people will need to know. I'm hoping we can release it within a few weeks so that some people here (as well as on SMWC) can pick up the more "modern" methods of porting. It would certainly bring some better quality to the table as well.

Good to hear that SMWS is going to be used. I'd do what we're doing for SMWCP and hold it off until the end though - those sample banks take up .. well .. a whole bank of space, obviously. You most certainly wouldn't want to run out of room for this.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yeah, that's why I suggested only inserting music on the shared base rom, but inserting music last on the final rom.

prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Guess I better start studying then. Something tells me bare minimum knowledge and notepad won't be enough this time around ;)
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Note: Anything compatible with Romi's addmusic is compatible with Carol's addmusic. (And I think perl's too but I'm not sure.)

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Can you insert sound effects with Carol's Addmusic? Because if possible, it would be nice if we could keep the P-Switch ticking patch.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

chdata wrote:Note: Anything compatible with Romi's addmusic is compatible with Carol's addmusic. (And I think perl's too but I'm not sure.)
It wouldn't even insert volcanov2. I guess it doesn't like triplets. Also it uses the echo ring buffer to store music data so I guess a2mt won't be running on any accurate emulators.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Strange. I was under the impression that Carol's addmusic could handle triplet brackets too. That almost seems like a trivial, crippling error. Bah.

Also, last time I checked, Carol's addmusic could -not- insert SFX, but that may have changed since I haven't needed to touch Carol's addmusic since we got his MORE.bin. If not, I guess we'll have to decide between custom SFX, or about 70-80 more custom tracks.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I believe keeping the ticking P switch kind of important, since as far as I can tell that is quite a popular 'feature' of the first game.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

Very much. It was a nice concept, and I see no reason to reject the idea.

More music is nice, but raocow has mentioned in one of his videos: the original only had like 8 or 9 songs and it was fine, and we'll have more than that anyway!
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

Here are some spc's i'm debating on using in my hack. I'm probably going to be doing rewrites and i'm not sure if i even like don't go in the water at all, but maybe someone here would like to use it in a level.

Don't Go In The Water

Welcome to Art City
I'm thinking more of a doctor who spacey thing instead of an egyptian monsters thing
DECISIVE BATTLE AGAINST A...PSYCHOTIC EEL?

here are some works in progress and a song that would probably be good if we used samples for it.
The first two are a victory and a death jingle respectively.
looks like you won!
looks like you died!
Red Blocks Green Blocks

I can't see the last one sounding good with smw instruments although i'm trying valiantly tomorrow. I don't like midi instruments but the organ sound and the bells are really reminding me of some levels in kirby.

so yeah, thoughts?

An alternative to the ticking p-switch would be to make the status bar glow and progressively glow more rapidly but i like the ticking.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

We're using Romi's addmusic for, but how about a vote on using the normal MORE.bin or Carol's MORE.bin?

Romi's MORE.bin - No need to change songs using ADSR, but unable to use certain songs.

Carol's MORE.bin - Need to redo ADSR if a song uses it (it's apparently actually very easy to do, I found out how a few days ago.) and can use songs with more sample access.

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Use romi's with carol's more.bin yeah. The transpose command is way too useful for samples
Last edited by Kil2 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

i use romis but sure let's use carol's haha. whichever one is less glitchy (i thought that was romi's)
AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

I vote for Romi's addmusic with Carol's More.bin if that allows for more commands.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I need to make sure to learn how to use the addmusic patch.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Romi's with Carol's MORE.bin. 100%. As previously stated, there is literally no disadvantages to any of the commands you get out of it. Plus, if we want to use extra samples over 13, it's pretty much a must-have.

Been using it for months now, so I can vouch for it. I'd also be more than happy to help any of the other composers/porters in on this as well - just let me know!
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Glad to have you on board!

I mean, I know it's a bit late to say it, but all the same, you weren't a part of the first one.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I was too busy/disinterested to participate in the first one. I'm really only interested in the musical aspect on this one though - I'm a sucker for unique soundtracks in projects (either ported or custom), so I feel that with the composers on board here, we could do some pretty swell things.

Plus, I think it would be pretty great to work with prsnth, actually. His work has stood out to me the most on this forum, and it would be fun to have some sort of collaboration between composers. Not that anyone else is bad, it's just my own style preference. Heh.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I don't know anything about making hacks period, but I came across a song that sounded like it'd be pretty sweet for a ghost house/boss fight. Thought I'd see what the people doing the music thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14L9_PUhhkA
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Dang... I just noticed the poster is not one of the music people... we're gonna have to blue someone for this thread eventually I have a feeling. :S
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Huh..? Why would someone have to be "blued"? It's not like having a blue name would help much with organizing such a small group.

Also, if you really feel that you need a blue person to be the first poster for whatever reason, couldn't you just create a new thread and merge them?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, it's really not that big of a deal. There are so few of us that we'll have no problem talking about what we need to or w/e in this thread. And then all YOU'D need to worry about, Tails, is accepting any TXTs/BNKs we would send you and insert them.

It'll be a piece of cake, really.