(shouting)

Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Wyatt

Re: Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Post by Wyatt »

If you think you can compose something more fitting, go for it! I really only put it there for the sake of filling the list out more, and also because I wanted to make sure the song got used.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

raocow wrote:
Wyatt wrote: Finally, it was annoying me that the game over theme was cutting off the death theme I made. Rather than trying to fix it, I worked with it, and this is the result. Let me know what you guys think!

I honestly don't think we can ever hope to have better than that, haha. Wow, I love the result
Welp, you made a lullaby gameover theme work.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

that game over tune made me giggle actually :D

Ahm, by the way, we can't have one OW theme for every world, because some worlds must be put together into the big overworld map (8 worlds+hub+final, but only 6 submaps).
Unless it's possible to code something that changes the playing overworld music depending on which area on the main map you enter.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, there are patches for that.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

The death and gameover songs are awesome. I think it will be fitting even more with the actual game over screen.

Also I love your port of the Romantic Children song.

(that's my professional critique)

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I mostly like the port of Romantic Children, but the beat sounded quite unusual at parts. After the intro when the first loop start is weird to hear. The intro was wonderful, as was the melody.

Edit: I'm not sure if it is technically the beat, but it has a very distinct sound.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Hrm, I can't hear anything that's clearly wrong in the beat. I guess the snare is less punchy, but there's only so much you can do with SMW samples. I was actually more worried about the melody than anything, but from your post the melody doesn't seem to be a problem. I just noticed the tempo is a tad slow, maybe that's the problem? If you can tell me what specifically is wrong then I'll try and fix it.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

It seems to fit to my level well, it just sounds weird to me.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

So our rom is getting too full, right? Because sample banks take up a huge amount of space (I think 32kb, or a 128th of a full rom) and we have three of them not counting the default one.

One of the sample banks is the one I've been making stuff with (mainly chromium's stuff), but it actually has all of the SMW default instruments in it except for the steel drum. With a little optimization, I think I can fit the steel drum in, and from there we could replace the default sample bank with this one (assuming it's possible to modify the default bank). Bam, 32kb freed up!

The other two banks are used in exactly one level each. One in Where Am I? and one in Dancing With Shells. It'd be kind of jerkish to take these away after telling the level creators they could use them, but this is 64kb of space between them, which is kind of a crazy huge amount. We might want to ask the creators if they're okay with replacing their music with unsampled stuff.

Also, A Something Theme isn't in the game yet, but if we were to insert it we'd need a sample bank. Something to consider I guess. I'd hate to leave it out of the game, but we may have to.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Banks should be one of the first things to go given their size, so any sampled tracks may need to end up being re-ported. I had intended on porting that cave track I made with an entirely new sample bank, but as of now, that's going to be impossible given the limited amount of room. Heck, some SONGS may even need to go if this keeps up (since the bigger ones hit around a third of a bank in size).
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

About the cave track: Really? That song seemed almost tailor-made for the generic a2mt sample bank. Actually, can you send over the midi? I'd like to try porting it if you wouldn't mind. If you've already started I'd be okay with building on what you have.

As for actual songs, I'd bet a lot of them are badly optimized. Heck, I'm ashamed of the space wasted by a couple of my own ports, and I know for a fact that some other songs are optimized way worse than my own. I guess I should try touching up some of the music in the baserom.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If you can try to replace the default bank and edit the custom songs that use it accordingly, that would be awesome. I think it's definitely worth doing. And yeah, those two levels with their own sample bank are getting new music. That space should be freed up and the music of the level doesn't matter that much. We have default chrom1um themes we can replace them with.
Of course it may be mean, but yeah it was a mistake on my part for allowing it originally as I did not (and still don't really) understand rom space.
Since we will be putting all of the resources on a clean rom soon, it's good timing to get something like this done in the process.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Eh, okay then. If that is for the greater good, I'll go ahead and look for a non-sampled song for my level (dancing with shells). I had no idea sample banks used so much space when I submitted it.

(late) edit : actually I just tested it with chrom1um's lava theme and it fits quite well to me, so you can replace it with that song. Also Music slot 68 (the sampled donkey kong mine song that I used) can be freed afterwards.

Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Glad the lava song's getting used, I really like that one!

Also I optimized the main sample bank so that's 32kb saved, yay! I even added a guitar sample :3

Other changes to the bank: Pan flute removed (this was for an OW track so it needed to overwrite a SMW sample to work), sleigh bell replaced with less expensive dkc3 sleigh bell, snare drum quality reduced a little. Bank is as full as possible since I'm assuming this will be the last version. Also I don't know how to import a bank file to replace the default bank, but we can always just load each sample individually.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Whoa, an actual guitar-sounding sample.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Wyatt wrote:Actually, can you send over the midi? I'd like to try porting it if you wouldn't mind. If you've already started I'd be okay with building on what you have.
Sure, you're more than welcome to have a go. I need to split the chords so everything lines up on eight channels appropriately though, and that'll take a good hour or so (unless you want to do that as well). If you want to do that, then I'll send you an unsplit MIDI - otherwise, give me until the weekend or so and I'll send you one that is ready to be ported.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

SNN: Go ahead and send it now. I'm pretty fast at splitting chords.

Ok, all the music that uses the sample bank is touched up to work with it. Also all the songs I've made are fixed to not have the noisy beginning thing that happens in bsnes. Admins, let me know when you guys want me to send everything over!

Also, as a bonus, I touched up the music in Schurmanator's level. raocow, if you're still blind to his level, don't read:
I used the square wave samples so it sounds like actual Atari 2600 music. Also, there's a lullaby cameo in there! I know some of you guys are getting tired of those, but I like how this one fits. Let me know what you guys think: if people don't like it, I'll change the song structure to how it used to be. spc download
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

You can just send it to me now and I'll reinsert everything when transferring the baserom. Thanks, Wyatt.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Here you go, Wyatt. I'm pretty sure all of the channels are appropriately named (except sample-16, which is is SMW's orchestra hit), assuming you're going to open it in FL Studio.

Hopefully you actually find some time/patience to get it ported, unlike me (university blows, just saying).
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

S.N.N. wrote:Banks should be one of the first things to go given their size, so any sampled tracks may need to end up being re-ported. I had intended on porting that cave track I made with an entirely new sample bank, but as of now, that's going to be impossible given the limited amount of room. Heck, some SONGS may even need to go if this keeps up (since the bigger ones hit around a third of a bank in size).
- Sack anything that's used in a oneshot, forgettable manner (Doll Maker in that Goopa shell level, for example).
- Sack almost anything that uses samples period and find a fitting substitute. Anything by ThinkOneMoreTime could work as a decent alternative since his musical style tends to have a more upbeat feeling to it.
- Nuke anything that doesn't fit the theme/mood of the level itself.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

MrDeePay wrote:- Sack anything that's used in a oneshot, forgettable manner (Doll Maker in that Goopa shell level, for example).
I see what you mean because it uses space for only the second half of one level, but since it is quite more fast-paced than the first half, I wanted a more fast-paced song to accompany it. It didn't really fit with the first half's song.

So I don't know if Doll Maker specifically takes a lot of space by itself, but if it is also necessary to delete it, I don't know which song to replace it with.

I swear, there's bound to be a conspiracy behind all this !!

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Just replace it with whatever works without a sample. If the song is fine without a sample, it doesn't need replacing.
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

As per Wyatt, I'm posting here.
It's come to my attention that the sample bank that I wanted to use for the cave level I had, is using up valuable space that can be better used for other things.
So I'll be picking a song without a bank, or picking an already inserted song to use for that level, while picking a new song.
ACTUALLY STRIKE THAT.

Wyatt or whoever is putting music into the rom, this is my new request.
I'd love, for the cave part, to use SNN's cave theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpD7xo571E

And for the Castle area...
I'd love to use Wyatt's second castle theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEspp3lhTo

Is that a good compromise? And the slot, then, I could use for a credit's level?
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Generic CAW

Post by Generic CAW »

You guys probably don't need anymore music, but just in case I made a midi version of this song because I was bored:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FXpn48h0r4
MIdi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7RAA4cs4ic
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Oh wow, I seriously hope we can find a place for this
the chillaxest of dragonsImage