(shouting)

Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Hatfield

Re: Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Post by Hatfield »

and NOW I find this forum.... well crap. wish i could have taken more time to read titles but thats what i get for working 2-11pm and waking up at noon every day lol. well i do have a lot of stuf that has been done in 8bit but can someone please point me in the right direction for music software that i should be using for this project? i mostly use ableton but i did see that addmusic 4.05? i'll deffinately check that out but if you're interested in hearing some previous 8bitish stuff i've done in the past it's on Here:

Jesusinthebox.newgrounds.com/audio

pretty much anything 2010 and before are things to look at (labled video game music of course, the classical songs are acoustic instruments but i can convert those if needed)

lemme know what you think guys, thanks =]

Edit: i know you'll need midi files for the game but that's why i'm asking. anyways.. yeah.
Even as the light grows, so do the shadows.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote:so uh, I've got the midi finished for the final final level. The song intentionally mucks around with it's tuning resulting in a bunch of semi-tones. Add a whole bunch of volume slides and vibratos and this is looking messy.

Is there anyone out there with perfect pitch who wouldn't mind helping out?
Sounds like a nightmare, but I'll give it a shot.
Hatfield wrote:words
Your stuff seems like it could fit in the game nicely. Most of the game's music is done; the songs we need right now are map themes for:
-Hub overworld (space theme probably?)
-Jungle cave overworld
-Some outer ring overworld whose theme I'm not sure of
The only one with an image to go off is the jungle cave:

Addmusic is time-consuming to learn and use, so unless you plan on doing SMW music after A2MT, probably don't bother with it. If you make a song that people like and want in the game, I'll convert it to SMW music for you (no need to give me a midi).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Wait, no, most maps have an image to go off of, no? The images I made the other day! Some of them are going to be reconverted into 'smw maps' since they won't be able to be used as is but...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Wyatt wrote:
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:so uh, I've got the midi finished for the final final level. The song intentionally mucks around with it's tuning resulting in a bunch of semi-tones. Add a whole bunch of volume slides and vibratos and this is looking messy.

Is there anyone out there with perfect pitch who wouldn't mind helping out?
Sounds like a nightmare, but I'll give it a shot.
Awesome! thanks for helping! Do you wanna hop on IRC to do it or what?
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

You can PM me the midi.
raocow wrote:Wait, no, most maps have an image to go off of, no? The images I made the other day! Some of them are going to be reconverted into 'smw maps' since they won't be able to be used as is but...
I saw a bunch of your maps (final world, night world, blue island) and they look awesome, what I meant was that of the 3 areas that have no music, 2 (hub area and that outer ring world with a theme I don't know about) don't have an image. If these images do exist and I just missed them, let me know!
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Wyatt wrote:You can PM me the midi.
I already started the txt file. It's pretty much tuned. it's just the precision stuff that I need help with. Making sure the $EE $xx values are correct (they should all be within about $10 of their 'correct' values)
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Hey Wyatt, raocow said you have a song made for the last level? I'd like to hear it if possible and get it inserted.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I started a final level song! I want your honest opinions. My biggest worry is that it's too upbeat and therefore suits lategame moreso than endgame. Also, listen to the song before revealing the spoiler, but if you didn't catch the reference,
It's prsnth's sky theme. If you guys like this then I'll probably tack on a couple more themes and make it a medley.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I actually don't think it's too upbeat at all. I like it and think you should continue with what you've got!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

That is AMAZING.

Honestly I'd rather have an 'upbeat, crazy' mood than melodrama.
I am making a formal request for the forest theme to be included because it's still one of my legit favourite video game musics
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

It sounds awesome, and I think it has the right amount of 'intensity' for a final level.
Do you plan to include all of the themes? That would make it possibly The Best Thing.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Pretty good, just lower the volume on that lead a little bit. Beyond that, I think you've got the mood down.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Glad you guys like it! I'll expand on it soon. Will definitely use the forest theme since it's basically the theme of ASMT as a whole.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

It's a bit too up beat for me. Not evil enough for me to work my magic fully, but gotta do what ya gotta do right? SNN is correct if he means the louder note in the song should be reduced. It starts out fine, but that note or whatever you call it sorta ruins it a bit for me.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Let me be a bit more clear here. It's really that note alone that turns me off. The rest is fine, and sorta reminds me of Chrono trigger / rudra no hiho which have great soundtracks. See if you can make that note fit with the song a little better, and this should be fine. I can already see ideas that would mix well with this song, if that part is edited a bit.

It sort of drounds out the rest of the notes which go pretty well together.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

I just noticed. Music slot 57 is from The legend of Kage for the NES.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Any progress on the Final level song?
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Yep! I'm nearly done it. I'll post what I've done tomorrow.
Chrom1um

Post by Chrom1um »

Any updates on the ow instrument deal? (Will we be able to use the pan flute version of the forest ow, or will we just use the pure smw version?)
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

@Wyatt: Alright, can't wait to hear it. :P
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Here's the final level theme! I'll take criticism seriously (especially specific suggestions on how to improve it). Also this song is gigantic: so big that I had to change the song header to allow the song to exceed 1700 bytes.

Chrom1um: To get the pan flute into the OW theme, here's what we'd need to do:
-insert the pan flute sample (we'd have to remove the sleigh bell to make room)
-move the guitar sample to another slot and fix every song that uses it (2F, 5A, 5F, 63, 7B*, 84, The Lullaby, Final Level Theme)
Removing the sleigh bell would mess up both the snow theme and the cave theme. But if people decide that it's worth it for the pan flute overworld theme, I can probably take care of the work needed.

*we should remove this song and replace all instances of it with the cave theme, so no need to fix it
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt wrote:Here's the final level theme! I'll take criticism seriously (especially specific suggestions on how to improve it). Also this song is gigantic: so big that I had to change the song header to allow the song to exceed 1700 bytes.
Really awesome job!
I have only two specific suggestions:
I thought it was weird how the volcano theme sped up halfway through. It didn't seem right; I think leaving it as the same tempo as the rest of the song would work well.
The only thing that really felt out of place was the intro song (I don't know it's name but it was the one right after the volcano theme). It seemed kind of slow and just really different from the rest of the song. But I love that portion of that specific song, and I think we can make it fit with some changes.
I don't know whether it is the same tempo as the rest of the song right now, but I think that would help. Also, some percussion would make it sound nice. And I think just its placement is a bit odd. Do you think so? It comes right after a pause after the volcano theme. You are much more familiar with music than I am, so I'll respect your judgement on whether this would fit right. But I think the last song should come after the volcano theme, and the one after the volcano theme should be moved to the end of the song. How would that work?
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Dude, with what you have so far, I think adding the pan-flute would probably be unnecessary. It's not a to-scale sorta time-to-do to percentage-of-improvement thingy.

//My post is without criticism so slightly useless.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

While I also think the sped-up portion of the volcano theme seems off, I think the slow portion after the pause still 'fits in', in a way. Like, it calms down for a moment and then it picks up again, and it kind of gives it that 'epic' feeling? I don't know how to explain it better.

But yeah, it sounds awesome.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

3:32-4:03 is my favorite part. Biasdly I'd like each section to be equally as epic. I'm not too fond on that particular section you're using for the intro as well. LimePie may be onto something too. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase so I'm prepared to work with whatever you can do, but that intro section should be changed / switched around or something. :P