(shouting)

Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
anonymousbl00dlust

Re: Music Discussion: Requests, help, and general

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

So now that Addmusic 5 is not coming out, there's probably no way that the sound effect detuning bug is going to be resolvable in the final level's song.

For those of you who don't know what that is, the sound channels that the SNES normally uses get can be tuned using certain commands in a songs code. If used in some of the channels, these not only effect the song, but all other sound the game makes. In my case, the notes in every channel are semitonal, or "in-between" standard notes. There is no way *not* to tune every channel in this song without the whole thing sounding cacophonous. As I said before, I can mute all the sound effects to resolve this problem, but I really don't want to.

At this point, I am seriously, seriously considering MSU-1 audio implementation for the b-side rom. This means .wav quality audio for my level... provided you don't use ZSNES or Snes9x

If I do this, i'll still include a fallback code for people not using bsnes, either muting all sound effects like I said before or using a slightly less accurate version of the port. However, it seems silly to me to not provide the the absolute best that I can possibly offer on every front with this project. This doesn't hurt the people using less accurate emulators, it only benefits those who don't.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Honestly don't worry about it at all. With a couple easy changes I can make the song detune the sfx by a third of a semitone, which will barely be noticeable. For reference, The Kanji Factory in ASMT detuned sfx by two semitones, and I don't think that really bothered people.

Re: my final level song, thanks for the feedback guys. I'll overhaul the volcano part and try to beef up or relocate the intro bit.
paradox

Post by paradox »

Very nice final level theme Wyatt! Here is my feedback:

- Pitch bends would probably sound good in the intro section
- I'm not a big fan of what the melody does from 0:18 - 0:27
- I think there should be more of a build up from 1:00 - 1:10. Specifically, I'd like to hear choir aahs come in at 1:00, and then maybe again something additional should be added at 1:05, what specifically I think will sort of depend on what is coming afterwards (I know you are planning on changing what currently comes afterwards)
- I agree that 1:11 - 1:33 could use an overhaul. Have you considered using the main melody of the volcano song instead of the intro to it?
- I really like 1:33 - 2:02, I think pitch bends would sound good in this section too. Also, maybe have a bigger ending from 1:55 - 2:00; it sounds like you sort of die down a little towards the final note at 1:59, my preference would be to build up towards that ending. Just so you know the kind of thing I had in mind with the pitch bends here's a midi that explains better than I can in words (also, as a bonus I threw in some ideas for some possible additions for the ending):
pitch_bend.mid

Let me know if you have any questions about any of my comments.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

paradox wrote: - I agree that 1:11 - 1:33 could use an overhaul. Have you considered using the main melody of the volcano song instead of the intro to it?
That sounds like a good idea.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Thanks a ton for the feedback paradox! I really like all your suggestions: I'd considered pitch bends and using the main melody of the volcano theme, but when I look at your other suggestions they all seem really natural and right. It'll be tough to add stuff to 1:00 and 1:55 since the channels are basically full as is, but I'll try my best to make everything work. Also thanks for the midi, you used pitch bends more effectively than I think I would have been able to!

Just so people know, it'll be a while before I can touch up the song due to school + other SMW music stuffs taking priority.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wyatt wrote:Just so people know, it'll be a while before I can touch up the song due to school + other SMW music stuffs taking priority.
Take your time. You are doing great stuff for us, and we appreciate it.
paradox

Post by paradox »

wyatt wrote:Most of the game's music is done; the songs we need right now are map themes for:
-Hub overworld (space theme probably?)
-Jungle cave overworld
-Some outer ring overworld whose theme I'm not sure of
I'd be willing to take a shot at composing the Jungle cave overworld theme, assuming nobody has done it yet.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

I don't know if i am in the right thread but i would like to request a music slot and if anyone is good at inserting musics. Id like to have the Crystal king boss song from Paper mario.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Alright, I gave you slot 22.
And you don't need to insert. Just include it with your submission files and say which levels should use the music in your .txt.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Hey Wyatt, I've finished door one and are starting the hallway to the doors as we speak. Could you transform whatever version of the final level you have into format for SMW. I'll just go head and use that for now so people who want to test the level will have more then the normal castle theme to hear. I'm going to be putting out an IPS patch once I finish the hallway.