(shouting)

Base ROM Inclusions

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Re: Base ROM Inclusions

Post by limepie20 »

Alright, thanks to Diortem, the next baserom should have the no walljump hijack and the MMP patch should be fixed. I've sent everything to Systemkrash so he should be able to get it all running for the next baserom.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

A2MT 2.5

+ = good, - = bad
+ Multi-Midpoint Patch inserted
+ No Wall-Jump Patch inserted
+ Level 1E is inserted
+ Level 104 (SyStemkraSh) completed
+ Level 11B is inserted
+ Level 10E is inserted
+- Level 16 is inserted, but songs 2C, 31, and 3D are missing
+- Level 124 is inserted, but doesn't say where block, sprite, and music goes
+ Level 11F's goal music has been fixed
+ Level 002's parrot coin graphics are fixed
+ Level 125's custom block graphics are fixed

TO DO:
chest-related things and midpoint related things will be put in one list
- Insert Level 124's block, sprite, and music
- Learn how to edit chests
- Learn how to Multi-Midpoint
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

You would be wise to apply LC_LZ3 compression to the ROM there, SyStemkraSh. Looking through it, you have an extremely small amount of freespace left (as in, a few scattered banks), so doing anything you can to make sure the ROM doesn't explode on you would be wise. Just go to Options in LM and select the bottom option.

I'd also recommend using this tool Alcaro created for SMWCP2 as well. You can use it to get rid of some unused ExGFX in the ROM by doing the following:

1. Put it in the same folder as your ROM.
2. Run it with cmd.exe.
3. It should display a huge list of files - namely, 000 to FFF. Files that are USED in levels in the ROM will be marked with ---, whereas unused files will be marked with the actual number (eg. --- --- --- 106 --- 108 109 --- --- 10C).
4. Open the ExGraphics folder and see if any files correspond to the numbers listed in the tool. Obviously you'll want to look around the 100 - 200 range moreso than, say, the A00 - AFF range since that's where the bulk of the ExGFX will be. Delete any unused files, and then reinsert the graphics.

Either way, the ROM isn't going to last much longer .. at all. If jesus/anonymousbl00dlust actually finishes his level, it alone will take up several banks given the stupidly huge amount of resources he claimed. Needless to say, it's space-freeing time.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

It'd probably be a good time to do some level optimization by now, especially with levels using more complex tilesets. I know a lot of the space in the ROM has been consumed by resource use, but since we can't really remove resources unless they go unused, then this would be a way to save some space without much modification.
Yoshi Ambassador!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

you mean 13 pages of map16 for a level is much?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Paralars wrote:you mean 13 pages of map16 for a level is much?
Indeed, as are the God knows how many ExGFX resources he claimed.

It had better be the best level in the history of hacking, or it's worth being trashed. I'm not saying that to be rude, but I'm being completely honest. Having 200kbs worth of data (if not more) for ONE person in a collab like this is an awful, awful idea.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

S.N.N. wrote:It had better be the best level in the history of hacking
Or the most epic.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
SyStemkraSh5642

Ah, thank you SNN for telling me this ahead of time. I got the tool to work after 20 minutes after asking for help from #talkhaus, and the problem was that the file had to be named smw.smc. :lol:

As for level optimization, I saw that you were doing this on SMWCP2 and I was curious of you found out which levels took up a lot of space. Is there some kind of option on Lunar Magic that tells you how many tiles are on a level?

EDIT: Cup told me the method.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

I'm presently blocked from access to my laptop due to it being broken. What is a list of all inserted levels in order on the map? Because I would hope that 2.3 has more inserted levels than that between it and 2.2 because two levels I made were inserted between 2.2 and 2.3. If I need to resend them I need to know. (Stroll Under the Stars and Goofy Grotto)
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
SyStemkraSh5642

Tails_155 wrote:I'm presently blocked from access to my laptop due to it being broken. What is a list of all inserted levels in order on the map? Because I would hope that 2.3 has more inserted levels than that between it and 2.2 because two levels I made were inserted between 2.2 and 2.3. If I need to resend them I need to know. (Stroll Under the Stars and Goofy Grotto)
Your levels (01D - A Stroll Under the Stars, 133 - Goofy Grotto) are already inserted into the baseROM.
The list of inserted levels can be found here, but if you don't have access to it, then from Yoshi's House to the right: 104, 1, C, 11, 12, 13, 14, 19, 1B, 1C, 20, 23, 101, 108, 10A, 10E, 10C, 10D, 114, 118, 119, 11D, 120, 128, 12A, 12D, 131, 134, 1F, 102, D, 11C, 111, 7, 136, 17, 109, 15, 132, B, 112, 126, F, 106, 107, 133, 1D, 117, 4, 110, 115, 5, 137, 138, 10F, 11E, 24, 13A, 11A, 127, 130, 8, 2, 1E, 10E, 16, 125, 12E, 139, 11F, 9, 3, E, 122, 12F, 18
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

You know, as soon as the levels that are being worked on are done, we'll have enough levels by far, and we can move on to the next things. I hadn't realised we had so many.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Hmm, so I recall the problem with Tenta's level is a bit short, right? And that 'The Tournament' is also in 'pending' because all we have is a short section.

Do you guys think we could convert them into 'rooms for the switch palaces' ? Since it's going to be whole communal level and all.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

is ~8-10 levels per world good, you think, Mr. Cow?
raocow

Post by raocow »

man, that is a LOT of levels, when you divide it like that. Think of the original game.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Take that up with ze world map creator, though, right? :?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I'm not sure there's anyway 'The Tournament' could be a switch palace level. I can't say why without spoiling the gimmick\, but I can't really think of a way to make it work.
And it was too short? I don't think it was. The last version I played had some length; VideoGuy just never got around to fixing the problems, though. It surely is a dredge-able level, though, and VideoGuy would probably be cooperative with handing it down to someone (if he can't work on it anymore). It's a level that I'd like to see make it into the hack.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Fair enough then!
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

AUS wrote:
S.N.N. wrote:It had better be the best level in the history of hacking
Or the most epic.
Time will tell, but I'm in the boat that this better be a very, very, very good level or it's just wasting time and resources. Bloodlust tried a similar thing with SMWCP2 (though to a smaller, but still unreasonable scale) before his original level (that mess still bugs me to this very day, but that's another story) was passed on to someone else.

As for optimization, I recall The Deadly Ninja Assassin Squad was a very poorly optimized level, so that should be a priority for being taken care of.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Paralars wrote:you mean 13 pages of map16 for a level is much?
To put it into perspective, my levels require LOTS of custom tiles and they're horribly disorganized, I may accidentally double up on tiles from time to time and I haven't used more than two pages on a single level (FG only) to my knowledge.
Luigisopa

Post by Luigisopa »

Hey guys,

just wanted to remind somebody to insert my treasure chest stuff in my level!
Here my post:
Luigisopa wrote: Here it is:
frog.gif
I know it looks kinda funny ... ^^ It's supposed to be my avatar... funny enough it seems to look like a "frog" or a "frogs head" (reversible figure) xD. Anyway Can somebody import it somehow? I made it with paint, 16x16 and used that blue color.
Thanks a lot!
-Luigisopa
and
Luigisopa wrote: Thank you very much. Here is the other information:
- [edit:]name: mucous frog
-value: 113 euros
-description:
A Latin frog that tastes
like fish dipped in soda.
the level is "Down To Green"
Thank You,
-Luigisopa

Thanks a lot... it smells like progress :-)
SyStemkraSh5642

@ Luigisopa: I'll get that inserted in the next version.
Patch 2.6

+ Level 003 (Septentrion Pleiades - Skyway to Wonderland) is inserted
+ 004 is redesigned
+ 00A (Ye Olde Spookhouse) is inserted
+ Level 00E (Septentrion Pleiades - Time Will Hide Your Way) is inserted
+ 021 (Something to do with layer 2) is inserted
+ 13B (Irritating...) is inserted
+ Level 003's (Skyway to Wonderland) music has been fixed
+ Fixed 00B's logs
+ Level 122's (Phase Out) Map16 problem has been fixed
+ Level 124's blocks, sprites, and music inserted
+ Chest data is inserted
+ unused ExGFX files are cleared out

- Level optimization; need to check the amount of tiles used in all levels (5 levels listed, starting from 001)
- Mad Science Laboratory's thwomps need to be fixed (I have no idea what the problem could be)
- 008's second midpoint isn't working
- Insert graphics for chest items
raocow

Post by raocow »

In terms of 'levels', what is left exactly?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I believe 8 user levels. We're getting pretty close!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

And here is version 3.0.
Download

It has been deemed version 3.0 because it is NOT backwards compatible like the other ones are (or have been). To use the patches, one must first transfer all of his/her resources into the rom of the IPS.
So yeah, I'm glad I got this out. Very big thanks to Diortem for reworking the patch to integrate with Lunar Magic's patches. I don't know how much space freed up because I don't even know how rom space works, but I hope the rom is more clean now. The only immediate results of the freed up space I see is that walking on the overworld isn't messed up anymore.

We will probably be working on level optimization next to free up more space.

uh uh uh uh uh I was probably gonna say more stuff, but I forgot what.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I hate to be a buzzkill, but you didn't save much space at all (which is shocking - how much did you remove exactly?). The old base ROM was about 3.2 MB, whereas this one is 3.0. Level optimizations should shave off another 100 KB (ideally), but then you're still left with a 2.9 MB ROM, AND you still have a lot of stuff to insert.

I'd start considering other solutions, like dropping any and all sample banks. Those are 8 KB each, and they add up fast. The last thing you want to do is remove levels.