(shouting)

A2MT Level ideas

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Terry von Feleday

A2MT Level ideas

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Tails: For future reference, the A2MT Levels Page

Feel free to ask people for inspiration on level ideas here!

Man, I can practically feel how impatient people are to start things up. Can't blame them, I can barely wait myself. ^^"

So since people have started pitching ideas for individual levels or bosses, apparently the need has arisen to make a thread for those. Note that this is only for ideas; I don't suggest actually starting anything just yet.

I have a bunch of level ideas myself, most of which will undoubtably turn out to be impossible because I'm not the kind of person who would make a level without massive amounts of gimmicks and ASM, but here's a basic one I had that I'm definitely not going to be working on: In Golden Sun, there was a level in a SUPER-HOT desert where your dudes were constantly overheating (probably because they were still wearing their normal clothing rather than, you know, something more appropriate) and you had to cool them off in random pools of water (which, of course, hadn't evaporated in spite of the unreasonable temperature...?). You had a gauge on the screen which would constantly rise and once it was full, your dudes started taking damage.
So I was thinking about that for a while when I figured it would be neat to make a level where this is drawn to its natural extreme: A level consisting half of superheated areas and half of deep-frozen ones. Being in the superheated areas makes your air-meter-esque gauge rise, being in the cold ones makes it decrease, and if it's completely full or completely empty, you get hit. So essentially, the gimmick of the level is that you have to regulate your body temperature.
I'm not nearly experienced enough to not make such a level a total trainwreck with a wasted gimmick, but I'd find it interesting to see what someone else could make of it.
Cecil Deacon

Re: A2MT Level ideas

Post by Cecil Deacon »

That sounds brilliant. It's better than my idea where you had to keep going in water to keep your time from running out.

while some of these ideas are probably going to go into my hack i'm just planning one throwing these out there for other people to use and i'll do something ...interesting instead haha

A level where the score is your time would be fun. You'd have to basically go on a rampage of killing enemies and getting coins to beat it.

I had an idea for a boss/level in my hack where you had to guide a homing thwomp type enemy through the level (it would smash through the walls/floors until you drop it into a pool of lava)

a level based on one of the power supplies overheating would be interesting. it would play like a normal level but periodically an explosion would take up the screen and you'd have to hide in one of the "holes" of the explosion. it would probably take some fooling around with a layer 3 effect but yeah.
it would look kind of like this

x=explosion
o=cover

x x x x x
x o o x x
x o x x o
x o o o x
o x x o x

there would be more than one layout probably!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Really liking the body temperature regulation idea, put it in the outer heaven area for extra reference potential.

My idea was to have a research station type area but ohno everyone has become a zombie. Normal exit sees you fighting your way to a control area and blasting them all into space, secret exit sees you discovering it's treatable, mixing two chemicals to make a cure, and pumping it through the ventilation systems to save the day. The mixing two chemicals would be a part of a 'proper' puzzle, in that instead of having two arbitrary items that you can be just put at the end of platforming sections, there's a possible 8 chemicals and you have to use the correct two in the correct order to get it right. The puzzle would be solved by reading research journal clues about how they made the original virus. Foreseeable problems are that it might take quite a few lines of coding to do the checks for whether you used the right chemicals, but it should hopefully only need two sublevels, one where you got it right and the cured scientists show you the way out, and one where you got it wrong and have to go to the normal exit anyway.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
kilon

Post by kilon »

flameofdoubt wrote: Normal exit sees you fighting your way to a control area and blasting them all into space, secret exit sees you discovering it's treatable, mixing two chemicals to make a cure, and pumping it through the ventilation systems to save the day.
But if they are blasted in space, you don't need to find a cure anymore ;)
flameofdoubt wrote:The mixing two chemicals would be a part of a 'proper' puzzle, in that instead of having two arbitrary items that you can be just put at the end of platforming sections, there's a possible 8 chemicals and you have to use the correct two in the correct order to get it right.
Despite all clues, wouldn't it be a bit tedious if you can't get the right combination? are there any consequences?
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

well what if they're in a time loop?

anyways the puzzle should be the first part of the level. if you mix the chemicals right you have to go to the second part of the level, run away from zombies, win, cure the zombies
if you fail you have to go through the second part of the level with one of several horrible conditions like moving at half speed (would also affect your jumping) or reversing your controls. it would activate either the secret or non secret exit!

the fail chemicals could be implied to be lethal to zombies and the successful one could be the cure. that way you pump it to the vent and it works either way!

as a level idea that won't require crazy asm invading a doomship that's trying to blow up the station could be a cute sky level. i mention this because i'm working on the best song for this idea haha
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Yeah, there's a problem with doing normal and secret exit, but I don't think it's really an issue, is it?
Cecil Deacon wrote:the fail chemicals could be implied to be lethal to zombies and the successful one could be the cure. that way you pump it to the vent and it works either way!
This I like, for one it makes it a tonne easier for me if I make it!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Youtube / Internet themed level

that can only be seen every other frame so it's not gonna be viewable by youtubers.

I have two ways of doing this too.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Both of the ideas that I have so far probably require some extensive ASM knowledge, or at least a minimal grasp of ASM, neither of which I currently have, but hey. Anyway, the first one involves a boss or mid-boss level in which Demo is wandering through some sort of scientific research lab/genetic improvement facility/whatever works, and the level is mostly peaceful until you reach a room with a sign reading "Employee Lounge." Inside the room, there is an enemy of some sort staring at a large screen and eating popcorn. It can't hurt you, and you can't hurt it. But, if you take the popcorn, it becomes enraged, probably turns red, possibly grows to several times its original size, and starts to chase you. The rest of the level is a sort of "Advancing Wall of Doom" type thing until a boss fight which I have very little idea how to handle. (Earlier I referenced this idea with flesh-and-blood-version Science as the enemy, but never really mentioned anything about my idea.)

The other idea isn't really for a level, but more of something that could be used in multiple levels. Basically, it could be used inside anyplace that seems technologically advanced for it. It would sort of be like a cross between a muncher plant and a permanently activated version of kil's boosters. They would essentially be blocks placed in hallways as security measures that trigger a small explosion (or something) when stepped on that sets the trespasser airborne, and works on both Demo and her enemies. They probably would mostly be there to set a mood that Yoshi munchers wouldn't accomplish, but they can probably also be implemented in creative ways, such as a secret exit that requires the player to get a star/leek and use it as a springboard of sorts. Still, it may be too much work for such a small change, but if it's possible and somebody is willing to do it at any point, that would be great, since ASM is completely beyond my understanding right now.
I don't really get it but okay
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Cecil Deacon: All your ASM level ideas sound like something I could do. Most of them at least.

Although the score is time one... I hate the sound of that, I played a level like that in Kouhai and it was just horrible. Plus isn't score gonna be disabled for the death counter?

I think we should keep a nearly the exact same status bar btw.

AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

chdata wrote:Youtube / Internet themed level

that can only be seen every other frame so it's not gonna be viewable by youtubers.

Heck yeah!
Man now that I started a level, I'm probably not gonna even touch it until 1 month after a2mt actually starts
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

chdata wrote:Youtube / Internet themed level

Heck yeah!
Man now that I started a level, I'm probably not gonna even touch it until 1 month after a2mt actually starts
Also, that other level in my vid next to the Youtube level is also a level I might contribute. I sometimes work on random levels if I can't find anythingto do.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
Dan

Post by Dan »

hey guys, know what would be cool?tb oc if we change all koopas for monsters that can jump around and kill other enemies then use slingshots to shoot them at you and then they would ricochet off walls and could possibly hit the slingshot enemy right back by the way I don't know any ASM so you'll have to make it
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Actually that's not too hard, GG bokobono.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

I stumbled on a midi of Ode to Joy today, and it then occurred to me that basing a boss fight on parts of the climax of Evangelion 24 (mainly the descent and then ending it over a shallow water chamber) would be the perfect out-of-place kind of reference to throw in with the song playing in the background.
Dan

Post by Dan »

flameofdoubt wrote:Actually that's not too hard, GG bokobono.
ok do it and make sure I am in the credits

actually it was o-card's idea but he was too big of a pussy to post it so you might as well put us both in
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

oh here's another idea
<+Wareng> we should make a level with ASM so advanced it forces the user to restart their game. We can call it 'Level One' and it will be a great start to a greater game
<+Cobalt> how the hell will it do that
<+OC> asm
<+Wareng> hopefully by crashing the game
<+OC> it can do ANYTHING
<+Wareng> it'll save the user a lot of suffering

<+Cobalt> write a number from 1 to whatever the max variable can be stored is, make a record in the RAM, then you have to reset the ROM, then it checks the RAM for the variable and writes another one and if they don't match it starts?
<+Cobalt> oh shit that actually sounded plausible
<+OC> .. that actually did
<+OC> wait wareng don't post that
<+Wareng> what
<+Wareng> FUCK
<+Wareng> too late
can YOU use the packet sauce?
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

@Cobalt. That sounds like a hilarious idea. as for suggestions as to how to make it work...

I don't watch tv so i haven't actually watched evangelion (although i was planning on it) so this is going by what i know about Tabris (his gimmick is basically that he presents himself as a very effeminate glowing boy and he's completely indestructible, right?)

So basically the boss would be a glowing goomba replacement. from the first ASMT. there would be a cutscene at the start where the boss (let's call him hilario) introduces himself and his weapon which he's going to ruin your day with, then the fight starts.

you'd be in a fairly large (2 screen) room where the background is a city at night with a big lake. there would be a bunch of platforms. The main danger would be the robot he commandeered. If you want you can use this concept art as a base (if you're going with this). The only reason i'm mentioning it is 'cause it's vaguely based on evangelion and yeah. anyways

His robot is a 64x64 ball. it moves around erratically and quickly and tries to crash into you. If you try to jump on hilario while he's glowing you get teleported to a short cutscene where he tells you something along the lines of

"i forgot to mention that i have a dimensional barrier surrounding me. ta-ta!"

and you get teleported back to the start of the fight (i like extremely obnoxious bosses).

Hilario is only damageable for a couple of seconds after he taunts you, when a message box pops up. Then he stops glowing and you can jump on him to stun him. then you throw him at the robot.

It's the closest I can get to mimicking the encounter in the youtube clip!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Cobalt wrote:oh here's another idea
<+Wareng> we should make a level with ASM so advanced it forces the user to restart their game. We can call it 'Level One' and it will be a great start to a greater game
<+Cobalt> how the hell will it do that
<+OC> asm
<+Wareng> hopefully by crashing the game
<+OC> it can do ANYTHING
<+Wareng> it'll save the user a lot of suffering

<+Cobalt> write a number from 1 to whatever the max variable can be stored is, make a record in the RAM, then you have to reset the ROM, then it checks the RAM for the variable and writes another one and if they don't match it starts?
<+Cobalt> oh shit that actually sounded plausible
<+OC> .. that actually did
<+OC> wait wareng don't post that
<+Wareng> what
<+Wareng> FUCK
<+Wareng> too late
That's actually not very advanced ASM, it's really easy to do. I was even going to make a custom sprite that does stuff like that, the Super Paper Mario curse things.

I'm all for putting that in the VERY FIRST (either actual or tutorial) level. Any later in the game is a bad idea. It'd lose it's hilarity if it were any later in the game at all. At least past the "first world".

There are at least 3 annoying things I know how to do:
Force the player to reset the game entirely without really crashing it or anything. Also SRAM saves won't be messed up by this.

Force the player to the overworld.

Force the player to the title screen.

Hilario sounds like that boss in NSMBWII with the huge chain chomp but instead you fight the chain chomp.

noone......

Post by noone...... »

A level where Demo gets addicted to drugs and has to go through rehab avoiding sprite-swapped homing bullets that look like cocaine. Mix with crAaaAAazy ASM gimmicks and hallucinations for withdrawal symptoms. Would work well for raocow seeing how he's totally into that sort of thing.
Xalnop
15 Peices

Post by Xalnop »

chdata wrote: I'm all for putting that in the VERY FIRST (either actual or tutorial) level. Any later in the game is a bad idea. It'd lose it's hilarity if it were any later in the game at all. At least past the "first world".
You could do it in any level right after a level with a save prompt. It wouldn't be that bad to have it in a late level as long as it met that criteria.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Don Zanevsky wrote:ok do it and make sure I am in the credits
I would if I could do asm and I thought it was a good idea. As it stands I only know it's possible, being more of a guy for budget spritework and cheap reference levels.

On the level design front a rather obvious idea for the technology area would be a spacewalk level, where for at least a part of the level you are outside the ship's atmosphere, jump about twice the normal height, and all music and sound effects are gone but for a rustling sound meant to imitate breath. Could be nicely atmospheric and at least vaguely amusing to see any current sprite edits in space helmets. Main problem might be just fitting demo's head into a space helmet, but it should hopefully be doable.

Secondly, and this is less of a level specific thing but still a crazy asm thing, would it be possible to save a value in whatever is most permanent that determines the marioexgfx used, then have a block which changes this when hit? If so we could have alternate/unlockable costumes, which could be pretty neat, as you could then play through the game again as RDemo or Mario or whatever anyone can be bothered to sprite.

EDIT: I think asm that makes you restart the game is a terrible excuse for a level, being A: a dickmove and B: a waste of a level slot. The only circumstances under which it should even be considered are if the game continues from the exact point it was at before you reset it.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Two relatively simple ideas that I came up with and might try for fairly basic and easy levels -

A level based around a nice stroll through a mountainous grassland forest place, with run disabled and Country Roads as the BGM. Maybe with a few "Farmin' Chucks" who dig up turnips and wear straw hats.

As the game is set in space, a Wing Fortress Zone like level based on Red Dwarf with a very out-of-scale version of the ship, with the opening as the BGM of course.

And I've been trying to make a level based on the second/main part of Imperishable Night, but the outside of traditional Japanese building are as annoying as hell to draw with yy-chr.
Miracon

Post by Miracon »

One idea I had was for a level I'm calling ATHLETIC LETHARGIC. I want to have the slow-moving underwater enemies in an above water level. Preferably, Rip Van Fish would be hacked to never wake up, and Torpedo Ted to move at half speed. The idea is that the level would be moving at slow autoscroll and have few floors, so you have to spin jump on enemies and move quickly to avoid falling.

Another idea I had came when I was playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I accidentally turned off one of the graphics layers when in the underwater area, and the result looked really cool. Get some invisible floors, the glassy layer 1 effect, and an animated background, and this asthetic shouldn't be hard to replicate.
0999 - Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (U)_01.png
0999 - Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (U)_01.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 8020 times
0999 - Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (U)_07.png
0999 - Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (U)_07.png (16.18 KiB) Viewed 8020 times
kilon

Post by kilon »

That kinda reminds me of that one level in Hacks 101. With some effort you can do something like that with just map16.
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

I like the idea of Lethargic Athletic but I think you should avoid hacking rip van fishes. you might have some fun with having to guide them. i think they move fast enough to work like that.

Since i like the ....ic Athletic levels in VIP you could have Erotic Athletic where

-HEY THERE GUY!-
If you're feeling perverted
you might want to check out
a pipe or two. If you're lucky
you will find NUDE PIX
of Our Heroine inside

Every pipe in the level would lead to a death trap, obviously.