(shouting)

Overworld

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: Overworld

Post by Paralars »

The looping path is just avalable right away? I don't see the discussion here, I'm not married to that path, so remove it if it seems dumb.

And the only level available from a newly started game is 101, where you start.
How do you put in the password anyway? from the title screen, from a level?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

since you can't have a level tile that has one entrance and four exits, there is no hub level but a stretch of the first few levels with one world branching off every time.
What I would consider "hub level" is the parrot house, since it unlocks the final world, contains the parrot coin shop and the treasure gallery.
I'd say make further over there branch off of that, it would be the most elegant solution probably, the first few levels before that were meant as an "intro" anyway, since they're really easy.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

so just make the player start on an empty level tile right next to 101, and there is nothing one can do but walk directly to the first level, except if you put in the password? That'd work.

And how about using the Konami code BACKWARDS!!!
But seriously, you just reminded me to try using it on MGR, which I just bought, thanks.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

So I was looking at the events today, and there might be a problem.
Since you can only enable a new direction when associated with an event, apparently, there has to be an event for every exit. So I just counted, and it appears we are short by just a handful of events, the overworld editor only goes up to 77, that's 120 events, and we need just about 3 more, for the additional dragon coin and password events.
So is there a way to put in a few more events beyond the OW editor of LM?
Otherwise, I don't know, can you enable directions without actually using up events?
Or activate an event multiple times somehow?

And then there is the thing with enabling two directions from one exit, that was suggested a while ago for some levels. Now, I managed to do that, but you still can only have one level tile appear per event and only trigger one event per exit, so at these junctions it would be better to have both visible from the start, for consistency, but then it would be inconsistent with the rest of the game, it's all not too elegant.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well, the original super mario world had 'normal exit' levels visible, and secret one appear when needed. Would that help?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I already looked at how the events were handled in the original game, we just have too many levels.
As of now, I could get the overworld functional, but there would be just a few levels not having events to them.
The other thing was, you beat a normal 1-exit level and it unlocks two new levels, but as the 'unlocking' is just one event, it can only reveal one level tile, and they're both equivalent. So it would be weird to have one be visible from the start and one being revealed on the event.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

The overworld looks really nice, by the way!

I... thought the idea with the password-unlocked level was that it branched off from the final level in the final world? Since you receive the password during/after the credits or something?

Actual password thought:
Have it be 'ASMT'?

A- A
S- Start
M- Up Down Up Down (the way one would write an 'M')
T- L L (you can use two 'L's to make a 'T')

Or possibly press Start twice to indicate this game being A2MT?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

You could maybe have like a few levels available from the start and have them do the same event or something. I don't actually know if that would work. Or if that is reasonable. Or whatever.

Also I like swirlybomb's idea. It seems like a lot of buttons but whatever.
I like the idea of a password actually having meaning rather than "hey press XALRYRRBAABLR!!!!"
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I approve
maybe
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Questions: In the finished game, will you start at the very same point you're currently starting in the latest version I downloaded here?
So basically you start in the middle of the hub world and start with the level where you cannot jump, spin dash and run?
I also realized three accessible worlds from the hub map that were drawn by raocow. What I wonder though is the position of said worlds. The space world can be found at the beach, the other one after a lava level (which is weird, wouldn't it be accessible after a castle themed level) and the third one can be reached from the other raocow drawn world. That's a bit weird since I thought all raocow drawn submaps would be accesible seperately somewhere on the hub world. So if I may kindly ask: What's the supposed structure to be? Hub world, from there two or three submaps which all lead to their own second set of submaps which, when each of the six siblings is defeated lead to the final supmap that opens up in the bug world? Or do we need to find all 4 Switch palaces and open up the Dark Abyss which will lead to the final world rather than defeating the siblings. Please someone fill me up on this since it is pretty unclear to me.
Also where are the sibling halls? Is each one a castle level in one submap? Will the sibling halls only be seen in six submaps of which three are already finished (with a seventh submap being the final world)?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

the way the submaps are drawn doesn't have much of a meaning in regard to the overworld structure.

(actual spoiler spoiler)
There's roughly four paths with an easy and a hard world each.
Path one: grassland area - sky area
Path two: beach area - space submap
Path three: Mountain submap - Icy submap
Path four: Underground submap - Forest submap
At the end of every world there is a sibling (makes eight) and at the end of every whole path there is a switch (makes four), with all four switches you can beat the 'dark abyss' in the parrot house and enter the warp to the final world, which is the eyeball one, obviously.
The sibling levels are
forest of realism
mad science laboratory
starlight resort
betrayal rock
super vehicle 00C
adamantium castle
undermoore passage
crazed crayon combat
I've already been toying with the idea of having the first little area on the yellow plateau be freely accessible and you could skip that entirely if you wish. In the same way as some games have an intro or tutorial you can skip. That would probably solve the problem, but some people might not like it that way.
e: okay, so I just carefully counted all exits on the map again and it only went to 6C or something, this time I was a lot more conservative with what events are triggered by 2-exit levels with a no-progress exit (we do have a few of those) and also, while counting the first time, I possibly skipped from 69 to 70, so that's a thing.
We could still make the first three levels optional, though, opinions?

The starting point is supposed to be level 101, by the way, it's the perfect link from asmt to a2mt and a neat intro level.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Thanks for the answer.
So we don't need to beat all sibling levels in order to enter the Dark Abyss but rather reach the Switch Palace levels and thus create a path to said level? Well unless the Switch Palaces are placed right AFTER a sibling level as the very end of said path.
Is the Abyss level already finished?
The final boss is The Artist. Is it finished?

The hunt begins!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Hmm I think the game should at least have a final boss. The sibling halls are a great idea, but at least there should be a custom boss at the end. Question though is: Is someone here actually able to code a custom boss. I heard someone worked on him and was almost done (if I am not mistaken).

The hunt begins!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it should be black plague in a screen that is litteraly impossible to loose in.

But then it's like OH NO REVEAL THIS IS NOT THE REAL BOSS AT ALL!!

the real end boss is vanilla bowser.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Actually, the black plague would be anachronistic because this hack is supposed to be taking place in the 1800s. Unless you're implying that Demo lives on an uncharted island in the Americas not yet exposed to European diseases.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

no, slit, that's not it.
to reach a switch, you have to get to the end of the respective path, each path contains two sibling level, that you have to beat.

How about this, when you beat the final level, you enter a huge custom boss door, sprinkled with ornaments representing the various stations of your former journey, you enter and a fanfare of incomprehensible grandiosity starts, evoking emotions of fear, yet resolve. As the door opens you are engulfed in a stream of pure light and as Demo's eye gets used to the supernatural brightness, a set of glyphs emerges in the distance, reading:

to be continued.

It's fool-proof.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

The text should be:

to be continued in a3mt
coming January 2014
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

asm3*
2016*
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

How about coming April 1st 2012
it's a joke or something?????

Although really how about we just say "coming whenever the time will be" or something, we're not gonna be able to stick to a date I can tell it already unless you guys were joking which in that case I am dumb
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Thought so
I guess I'm not helping much anymore, I will leave until I actually have something helpful to say
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Slit08 wrote:So basically you start in the middle of the hub world and start with the level where you cannot jump, spin dash and run?
Er, you start at A Menagerie In Glass, which is kind of a normal level?
Paralars wrote:[blahblahstuff]
We could still make the first three levels optional, though, opinions?
I think that's actually kind of a neat idea. Though if you do actually have enough events for everything, I'd figure you may as well set them up normally instead (requiring them to be beaten normally).
alex2 wrote:
raocow wrote:the real end boss is vanilla bowser.
That's it I quit.
we already did this joke >>>>>:/

alex2 wrote:I'd rather it just be a combination of BAXYLRS.
ok mr
I was also thinking of suggesting ALAX/ALYX, since you're the one implementing the password and whatnot, but it's pretty darn short, and also;
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

ALYXSBALLSAXRSAXY
Blaizer

Post by Blaizer »

I did a quick dict search for words with only those letters. Here's some ones I liked:

abyss, always, awry, balls, brassy, brawls, labs, raw, salsa, sax, wallaby, waxy.

Combine a few of those, and I think you'll have a great password!
Last edited by Blaizer 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

but how does w work?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I like abyss and salsa. (If "w" worked, wallaby would be awesome.)