(shouting)

Sibling Halls (No more openings!)

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Sibling Halls (Opening for Iris and Calleoca!)

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Kerkec wrote:
Franky wrote:Don't forget to press F9 to save the map16 data back to the rom. Whoops.
...Wow, I'm really not with it today. I think I'm just tired. Thanks, ahaha!
No problem. I hope everything works right for you, otherwise I'll be here to help as much as I can.

Also Alex, read my other post, edited it.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

alex2 wrote:Okay, I guess.

What're your background slots for the level?
Level 54, map16 page 58.
ExGFX 124-126
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Nope, they should all be ready to go. :)
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Okay, I don't want to derail this too much, but when I patch things with the baserom, the graphics are all messed up. What am I doing wrong this time?

If I can get this working, I might be able to take that spot after all
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

What do you mean by when you patch things? Like an IPS patch?
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

limepie20 wrote:What do you mean by when you patch things? Like an IPS patch?
Yeah, when I use the IPS patch for the baserom, everything shows up as a horrible mess in Lunar Magic and I get error messages from a lot of levels while paging through them
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

make sure you're patching onto a clean rom and make sure the ips and the rom don't have the same names.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Paralars wrote:make sure you're patching onto a clean rom and make sure the ips and the rom don't have the same names.
I have a better idea: why don't I actually use a more updated version of Lunar Magic instead of being stupid

Everything seems to be working much better now!

I'll work on something for Calleoca, but I'm not sure I should officially take the spot. I'll just bounce around some ideas for now and see if I find anything I think is worth actually taking the spot for. If someone else does something neat beforehand, then that's fine.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

The problem is you have to extract exgfx before doing anything. Press the extract exgfx mushroom button. Then put your stuff in the folder.

Edit:
Oh I guess you fixed it.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Actually, I think I will officially take the spot, if that's alright. Seriously this time.

But let me make sure I understand what I'm doing here. A short, 5-10 screen sublevel that's about mid-game difficulty, right? How should it end? And am I expected to do something neat with custom ASM? Because I know nothing about that, and I don't want to make this overly disappointing.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

just make whatever neat and creative thing you can come up with using the skills you possess and/or are willing to acquire.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I'm thinking about maybe taking the Iris thing. I dunno, I might not have the time to do it within a reasonable timespan. I'll think about it. If it's not taken in a few days I'll probably take it. Maybe. I really am not sure yet.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Well Iris would be mine if Alex can help me with my problem. But I guess it's still fine if you take it. Though I wanted my very last SMW1 work to be for A2MT. So people would have to play the game to see my final levels. Either works though I guess :P
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Franky wrote:Well Iris would be mine if Alex can help me with my problem. But I guess it's still fine if you take it. Though I wanted my very last SMW1 work to be for A2MT. So people would have to play the game to see my final levels. Either works though I guess :P
Oh alright, I didn't really read what was going on

Even though I should have

But no go ahead, I was just kinda sayin' "If nobody else is interested" and whatnot, I probably wouldn't have the time to design another SMW thing anyways
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Another question: Sibling Halls won't have chests or parrot coins, right?

Actually, I'm not sure I'm exactly clear on the context of these halls in the first place. Are these for the end of castles of each world? Or is this basically going to be like the end of the first ASMT, with all the teleportation pads and such? In the case of the former, is Calleoca mid-game or end-game difficulty? And in the case of the latter, how should these sections end? And will they stay cleared even if Demo dies in another one afterward?

I actually already have 'something' pretty much done, but it's kind of simple and not very creative visually or conceptually. Might just put it aside and start a new idea. I'll probably make a video or take some screenshots at some point to see what other people think, but yeah, it could probably be better.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

It's one hall at the end of every world's last level, therefore 8 in total.
4 easy worlds -> 4 mid-game difficulty bosses
4 hard worlds -> 4 end-game difficulty bosses
Since they're part of levels that already have been done, you don't put any collectibles in those.

So, your hall should be mid-game or end-game difficulty preferably, but one or two especially easy ones wouldn't hurt either.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Paralars wrote:It's one hall at the end of every world's last level, therefore 8 in total.
4 easy worlds -> 4 mid-game difficulty bosses
4 hard worlds -> 4 end-game difficulty bosses
Since they're part of levels that already have been done, you don't put any collectibles in those.

So, your hall should be mid-game or end-game difficulty preferably, but one or two especially easy ones wouldn't hurt either.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Unless I have one of the end-game difficulty ones, I might have to tone down what I've done so far a little then, if I don't scrap it completely like I said. Then again, I really don't know where I stand in comparison to others as far as skill at the actual game goes, so maybe it's actually not that bad!

Guess I'll find out once I upload something of it and get opinions

...So does that mean there's no set order for the siblings? It's just going to be based on difficulty?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

the overworld has 4 seperate paths with one easy and one hard world each, so we're pretty flexible with that. Those final levels are:

Forest of Realism (preferably Nevada)
Starlight Resort
Super Vehicle 00C Onwards to Moscow (preferably Science)
Undermoore Passage

Mad Science Laboratory
Adamantium Castle
Betrayal Rock
Crazed Crayon Combat

so if you need any ideas, you might check those out.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

But Super Vehicle 00C, already has its own boss. We could take it out, but Terry put a lot of effort into it, and it's fun! It would be better to just have that be a sibling or something but all of the levels have been claimed, so..?
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

Just throwing it out would be a terrible idea I think, especially if he put a lot of work into it and especially because it's fun! Why not have the sibling in another level or sth
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just have one of the sibblings that doesnt have a level yet and have her appear before the fight and go 'here is a level!' and it's like two screens of nothing and then she appears and go 'arg this is too hard fight this minion or something, boo'

Crazed Crayon Something I heard also had a boss ?!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Right, right that does too.
And I'm pretty sure that's why those levels were put as castles originally, but things have changed I guess. I want to get Paralars' input because he knows how bosses is.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Right, I kinda said that wrong.
CCC and SV00CotM are final levels because they have a boss, and the idea was to have those as the sibling boss fights, thus only requiring 6 hallways.
That was the plan.
IIRC, one of those two levels doesn't have graphics for the boss, so that would be an ideal place to just put the sibling in.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

But we do have eight halls, not six.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the two left overs are used on the 'gate opening' part before the final level as a sort of last ditch effort from the sibblings.

edit- they have an excuse text going 'no wait we did have levels ready after all we just needed more time, play them now!'

edit2- it's a joke about the development of a2mt.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage