(shouting)

Sibling Halls (No more openings!)

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Sibling Halls (No more openings!)

Post by raocow »

she can jump higher than demo in asmbxt!!!

Honestly most [all] of the siblings are pretty much blank slates. Even Calleoca, technically she's a 'shape shifter' but her level can be anything.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

raocow wrote:she can jump higher than demo in asmbxt!!!

Honestly most [all] of the siblings are pretty much blank slates. Even Calleoca, technically she's a 'shape shifter' but her level can be anything.
I see. I'll get started now then, I've got an idea already. 5-10 screens shouldn't take long!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Not sure how to designate a levels background image to a certain map16 page without having to place it manually. Is there a way I can have it constructed as shown in your images? I've never learned how to do this. I'd just use pages with tiles 5000, 6000, etc.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

The map16 BG tiles look incomplete, do some have to be flipped? Might just give the level to someone else. I've tried doing it manually but it feels like I'm missing something. I don't expect you to help now though. No one replied on SMWcentral as well. I've been putting off my other projects to do this. I can't keep doing that though. I realize you guys have lives though so I'm not trying to rush you, but I have to make a choice.

Example: I can complete half of Iris's face, but I don't seem to have the tiles for the other half in the map16 file.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

From the back of my head I remember someone suggisting about Iris that she would use weaponry and tools and throw stuff at you rather than doing non-hand to non-hand combat.
That's not really mandatory, though.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Paralars wrote:From the back of my head I remember someone suggisting about Iris that she would use weaponry and tools and throw stuff at you rather than doing non-hand to non-hand combat.
That's not really mandatory, though.
I've read the detailed link of the Siblings, though thanks for telling me this either way. The problem is: I can't get the background setup in a level. Gonna go ahead and give back my level in hopes that someone will still pick it up. Maybe I'll have figured the BG thing out if that person can't finish the level.
Paralars

Re: Sibling Halls (Opening for Iris!)

Post by Paralars »

it's not like setting the background to be that correlates with designing the level in any way..
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Sibling Halls (Opening for Iris!)

Post by Awakenyourmind »

@Paralars: Actually it does for me, as I am able to build ideas off levels that are balanced well in GFX and music. It's the most IMPORTANT factor. All I need is the resources setup and the rest is history. But without those there's nothing.
Kerkec

Re: Sibling Halls (Opening for Iris and Calleoca!)

Post by Kerkec »

It's not really that I don't want it, it's more that I don't know what the heck I'm doing, and by the time I potentially do figure out what the heck I'm doing, someone else probably could have it done already. So it's better if it's open for someone else to take.

If I do figure out what the heck I'm doing and the spot is still open, I'll take it back

But yeah, if someone more knowledgeable wants to do it, please do
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

What do you mean you don't know what you're doing? We can all help you. And I'd love you to make a level to see the variety you bring.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Well, it's basically a combination of never working in a collaboration before and not knowing how to get the background to work although it's already been made for me.

Is there like a base patch that I should download beforehand? And I know I have to reserve level (or sub-level, I guess) and map16 slots and all, but I don't know how map16 even works. I'm sure there are tutorials for this, which is why I don't really want to bother anyone with it, but I just haven't taken the time to go through them yet. Which is why I thought it'd be better not to hold onto this spot at the moment.

...So basically I just need to know how to start and how to get the background in, to summarize.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Change the map16 filename to Map16Page.bin

Then you'll need to put that file in your rom folder. Once you have that, you'd open the map16 editor in Lunar magic and you would press "f3" to import the background from the map16 file.

The rest I need help with myself, as I cannot get the background to work on any map16page without placing the BG manually in the level. If someone does help Kerkec it's worth helping me as well, as that's a guaranteed to be complete level. But yeah, I'll help you as much as I can Kerkec, but there's some things I don't know myself.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

In regards to collab stuff, download the baserom in the first post of the testing thread, and reserve everything you need in the signups thread.
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

limepie20 wrote:In regards to collab stuff, download the baserom in the first post of the testing thread, and reserve everything you need in the signups thread.
Okay, I'll grab the baserom and probably read up on some tutorials tomorrow or something. I won't reserve anything until I'm sure I know what I'm doing, though.

And Franky, thanks! But now I think I'm stuck at the same part you are. It definitely inserted, but all I have is a garbled mess that I don't know what to do with.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

also I'm pretty sure alex set up the background for calleoca? It's somewhere.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Ahh yes. Make sure to load the ExGFX files it came with. Under BG1 and (BG2?) of the Super GFX bypass menu. Also load the level palette file so things are the correct color. You should see the tiles non-garbled then! The map16 tiles will display correctly when viewed from a level with the correct ExGFX and palette! :D

My tiles are not garbled, I'm just missing the right half of iri's face. >.< I did the other half manually!
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Oh wow, I'm sorta dumb. I know about ExGFX, but I kind of forgot about them since I moved them to the ExGFX folder as soon as I extracted them! Ahaha, whoops

But yeah, I seem to have it now, although I have to figure out how to piece this thing together

Also, I can't seem to use it unless it's on map16 page 40? When I try to place tiles from anywhere else, it jumps back to there. How do I change this?
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

So I have this idea for Calleoca:
How about making a first room with kamek (of course with one eye, looking Calleoca-ish since she is a shapeshifter and that could be one of her "forms")and after that a second room with the homing thwomp, as we know him from :P:P:P
If someone could draw those, I could try to make a level, or someone else could use this idea, or we can scrap this idea or stuff
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

you could still have the thwompcalleoca first, kinda lead it into a pit and then she "returns" as the kamek or sth. it's important, that she's there in at least two forms
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Kerkec wrote:Oh wow, I'm sorta dumb. I know about ExGFX, but I kind of forgot about them since I moved them to the ExGFX folder as soon as I extracted them! Ahaha, whoops

But yeah, I seem to have it now, although I have to figure out how to piece this thing together

Also, I can't seem to use it unless it's on map16 page 40? When I try to place tiles from anywhere else, it jumps back to there. How do I change this?
Click a tile in the map16 page and then right click on the background editor window to paste. Will work if the bank's the same. Left clicking however will take you to the page the tile you left clicked is located.

Also Alex, if his is complete, why do I only have half of Iris's face? That's the ONLY reason I had to give the level back! I can do it manually if I have all the tiles!
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Franky wrote:Click a tile in the map16 page and then right click on the background editor window to paste. Will work if the bank's the same. Left clicking however will take you to the page the tile you left clicked is located.

Also Alex, if his is complete, why do I only have half of Iris's face? That's the ONLY reason I had to give the level back! I can do it manually if I have all the tiles!
Well, I know that... maybe I just clicked wrong or something. In any case, I got the whole thing pieced together! I think you have to use BG2 and BG3 for it, not BG1. Or at least that seems to be how mine worked!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

alex2 wrote:
Franky wrote:Also Alex, if his is complete, why do I only have half of Iris's face?
I'm pretty sure I gave you everything.
I can only complete half of her face, this was what I meant a day or two ago. This is the reason I couldn't finish the background and continue the level. You gave me one map16 file and two ExGFX files plus a palette file correct?
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

...Actually, mine only shows up in Lunar Magic. It's still a garbled mess in-game. I'm probably just overlooking something, though.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Kerkec wrote:...Actually, mine only shows up in Lunar Magic. It's still a garbled mess in-game. I'm probably just overlooking something, though.
Don't forget to press F9 to save the map16 data back to the rom. Whoops.

@Alex: errr.. Could you put it in the baserom for me? at least the tiles so I can see that they work completely. Or maybe I shouldn't have used BG1?
Kerkec

Post by Kerkec »

Franky wrote:Don't forget to press F9 to save the map16 data back to the rom. Whoops.
...Wow, I'm really not with it today. I think I'm just tired. Thanks, ahaha!