(shouting)

Modernized overworld Demo sprites

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Modernized overworld Demo sprites

Post by Catabo »

The original ASMT overworld sprites always struck me as something that hasn't aged well. I experimentally tried to polish them up (referencing the Demo art by raocow that sometimes appears at top-of-page here) and they're now in a good enough shape for me to "officially" submit them for consideration.
aat demo ow sketch1.png
aat demo ow sketch1.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 943 times
EDIT: added Yoshi riding poses (i guess i should make Catnip replacements for Yoshi too— we still need those, right?)
aat demo ow sketch2.png
aat demo ow sketch2.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 936 times
In particular, i call this new sprite set an upgrade because it better preserves the shape of Demo's eye, which is important when the character is a cyclops whose only facial feature is that eye. The new sprite set uses one more colour than the old one, with the assumption that the reds/greens of the Mario/Luigi palette can be changed to the blues/greens of Demo/Iris. I added the little sparkle on the "Demo start!" pose because i had the space to do so and it was cute, but it might end up being difficult to see on light backgrounds. It's easy to erase either way.

Anyone's free to make edits, as always.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Modernized overworld Demo sprites

Post by SAJewers »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago (i guess i should make Catnip replacements for Yoshi too— we still need those, right?)
Yep, we need Catnip replacements for both the OW and the No-Yoshi's sign.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

aat demo ow sketch3.png
aat demo ow sketch3.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Added Catnip. But i've noticed, the original two frames for Yoshi moving down/south are identical and there is no sprite for Yoshi moving up/north. Is one of those down/south frames actually the up/north frame (Mario obscures Yoshi's face anyway so no one notices) and the up/down are horiz flipped for animation? I made them with the assumption that it was a two-frame animation for facing down, but if one of them is for facing up i'd like to try making an up sprite.

I roughly tested the mounted Demo sprites using screenshots to suss out where to put them, but i expect them to need adjustments.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago aat demo ow sketch3.png

Added Catnip. But i've noticed, the original two frames for Yoshi moving down/south are identical and there is no sprite for Yoshi moving up/north. Is one of those down/south frames actually the up/north frame (Mario obscures Yoshi's face anyway so no one notices) and the up/down are horiz flipped for animation? I made them with the assumption that it was a two-frame animation for facing down, but if one of them is for facing up i'd like to try making an up sprite.

I roughly tested the mounted Demo sprites using screenshots to suss out where to put them, but i expect them to need adjustments.
Yoshi only has one frame for moving south, which is also the idle animation - the game just mirrors it to create the animation. The place where you've put the second frame is used for clouds in the tileset. It is indeed the case that the same south frame is used for moving north, with the eyes obscured by the player character. That is, there is only one down sprite, and there is no up sprite, so to speak.

Notably, Yoshi shares Luigi's palette (B), so Catnip also has to share with Iris. Regardless, you seem to only have added one or two colors to each palette, while the in-game palettes are half-empty, so there's definitely space for whoever tries to insert this.

Anyway, I think your sprites look really nice! The sparkle is cute, and should at least be visible when entering some of the darker level tiles (like ghost houses and castles).
a
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Lord Ruby wrote: 11 months agoYoshi only has one frame for moving south, which is also the idle animation - the game just mirrors it to create the animation. The place where you've put the second frame is used for clouds in the tileset. It is indeed the case that the same south frame is used for moving north, with the eyes obscured by the player character. That is, there is only one down sprite, and there is no up sprite, so to speak.
Thanks for the clarification and praise. I updated it to make Iris and Catnip the same colour (i thought it might be worth it to have Iris/Catnip use darker/lighter shades of green, but it's player 2 in the first place and i'd rather preserve the elegance of the shared palette) and got rid of the first down frame in favour of the second one, which i think looks a little better.
aat demo ow sketch4.png
aat demo ow sketch4.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 888 times
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I inserted your new overworld sprites into my working copy of the base ROM, and they look great! You got a lot out of a small amount of pixels. Here they are, brought to life:

The only thing that looks weird to me is that Demo appears a bit hunched over and a little far back in the sideways poses while riding Catnip. You should also pick out some good shades of blue, red, and yellow for when the player has a non-green Catnip.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Demo being hunched over while riding is unfortunately a canvas size issue. Making her taller in the up direction would break the canvas, and making her taller in the down direction would require making Catnip's torso shorter and/or cut off Demo's legs. If the "no. of pixels to shift when superimposing sprite" could be changed to sit her a pixel higher on Catnip, maybe something could be worked out, but i don't think it's worth it.

There is, however, a pixel of space free to move her a little over to the side so she'll be on Catnip's back instead of its butt, so i went ahead and did that.
aat demo ow sketch5.png
aat demo ow sketch5.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 871 times