(shouting)

Replacing Custom Enemy Graphics

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Replacing Custom Enemy Graphics

Post by Catabo »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago My first thought was seagull, not bunny, to be honest.

But yeah, agreed on the current replacement not feeling particularly interesting.
I might try again after work tonight! An early version had little feet in an attempt to make it look like the bun was in mid-hop, but

the back feet looked like testicles

so i decided to abstract them away entirely. There is that whole Japanese folklore thing of rabbits being related to birds, so i don't particularly mind them looking birdlike anyway.

In case it wasn't clear: anyone's free to edit any sprites i post if they've got improvements in mind.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I like the bunnies! :3 Though we would also need a diagonal variation (if only so that the bullet generator in Moon Palace can be a lot more on theme~).
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago I like the bunnies! :3 Though we would also need a diagonal variation (if only so that the bullet generator in Moon Palace can be a lot more on theme~).
bullet bun2.png
bullet bun2.png (600 Bytes) Viewed 1566 times
Now with diagonal version! Vertical version is the same as the horiz version because i assume the game does it automatically with 90° rotation. It just felt awkward leaving the empty space in the corner.

I did try editing the appearance of the horiz version a little bit, but didn't come up with anything more compelling. Might try to customise the appearance of the cannon tiles a bit more, dunno. I know sometimes levels use bullet bill cannon tiles specifically for their black esthetic, so i figured i shouldn't alter it much.

edit: while we're on this topic, are there any other uncharismatic enemies whose sprites should be reconsidered? custom sprites still needing replacements (looks like they were all covered, looking back on the thread)?
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 1 year ago I like the bunnies! :3 Though we would also need a diagonal variation (if only so that the bullet generator in Moon Palace can be a lot more on theme~).
bullet bun2.png
Now with diagonal version! Vertical version is the same as the horiz version because i assume the game does it automatically with 90° rotation. It just felt awkward leaving the empty space in the corner.
Nope, the SNES doesn't support rotation of graphics, not even 90° rotation, outside of mode 7 (which only lets your rotate a single-layer tilemap). Rotated graphics need to be pre-rendered unless you want to set up code that rotates the graphic in RAM and then uploads it to VRAM.

Anyway, as I should've mentioned in my last post, the graphic is cute anyway, even if my first thought was a bird. Maybe I would've gotten it immediately if I had looked at the blaster before the bullet, though, as that's clearly a bunny symbol.
a
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago edit: while we're on this topic, are there any other uncharismatic enemies whose sprites should be reconsidered? custom sprites still needing replacements (looks like they were all covered, looking back on the thread)?
Not that the A2MT Banzai is uncharismatic, but I feel like someone should make another Banzai Bill edit, just to add to the repertoire. We don't have to enforce this new replacement throughout the entire hack, since there's still some love for the A2MT Banzai. But maybe it can show up at least once.

More importantly, we need someone to edit the various Yoshi graphics into Catnip, and to complete the Iris spritesheet. Here are the bitmaps for the Yoshi graphics:

Image Image

And here are the bitmaps for Iris.

Image Image Image

Note that we can't just copy from ASMBXT, because SMBX doesn't account for all of the poses in SMW. So whoever does this will need to be a bit inventive.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
Catabo wrote: 1 year ago edit: while we're on this topic, are there any other uncharismatic enemies whose sprites should be reconsidered? custom sprites still needing replacements (looks like they were all covered, looking back on the thread)?
Not that the A2MT Banzai is uncharismatic, but I feel like someone should make another Banzai Bill edit, just to add to the repertoire. We don't have to enforce this new replacement throughout the entire hack, since there's still some love for the A2MT Banzai. But maybe it can show up at least once.
2 old a2mt proposals that are still somehow online:

and for reference, here's what asmt used
Screenshot 2023-03-31 203540.png
Screenshot 2023-03-31 203540.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
and what wth used
Screenshot 2023-03-31 203659.png
Screenshot 2023-03-31 203659.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
apparently there enough bill proposals that it was suggested there be a different bill for every level that used it. i do think it's be fun if we did something like that (or how asmbxt had different big boos)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago And here are the bitmaps for Iris.

Image Image Image

Note that we can't just copy from ASMBXT, because SMBX doesn't account for all of the poses in SMW. So whoever does this will need to be a bit inventive.
im actually doing this im just lazy
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I had talked about Everything D. Swan being the boss at the end of the Forest submap, so I got off my butt, grabbed a sprite off spriters-resource, and made it work:

Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Did we ever figure out what's being done with Banzai Bill, are there special tile rules for it that means a custom one should be a face change only, etc, because i went back and finished the big boy.
banzai bun2a.png
banzai bun2a.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
edit: it's 9 colours. If that's a problem, i can crunch it down.

edit2: i put one in a random level to see how it looked, and somehow the Torpedo Ted got a stray pixel on it that makes it look like it has an extra eye. But if we're here for bunnies w/ face melting off so it's sideways... Up to you if you want to fix it.
extra pixel.png
extra pixel.png (977 Bytes) Viewed 1241 times
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

Some of you already saw this on the Discord, but Bunzai* Bill is now in the game:
A few usage notes: The graphics require 16 unique 16x16 tiles, so they're split between two ExGFX files (181 in SP2, and 182 in SP4). All of the tiles couldn't fit in SP4, because of conflicts with the Shopping Carts, Math Platforms, and Bunny Rexes. However, the Diagonal Lime Platforms were overwritten. The berry sprite is overwritten in SP2, so the Bunzai can't be used in levels where Catnip can eat berries. Since a bunch of tile remapping had to be done, Bunzai needs to be inserted as custom sprite 0A (replacing the unused Ice Bro). It also uses the back half of palette E, which can be copied from one of the levels mentioned below.

Siege at Castle Wolfenstein, TRIPLE THREAT, and shopping stunts all had their Banzais replaced with the bunny. The Legend of the Captain Blackpowder still has the A2MT graphics, because Nitrogen may have intended to keep it that way with the black recolor.

*tangy's name, per this conversation:
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Oh, now that I think about it, are tehre plans still in place to replace Lemmy in Castle Wolfenstein and Ludwig in Spikes do Hurt?
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

SAJewers wrote: 8 months ago Oh, now that I think about it, are tehre plans still in place to replace Lemmy in Castle Wolfenstein and Ludwig in Spikes do Hurt?
I forgot about this! Here's the Lemmy replacement at least (there are some small changes from the version posted in the Discord; use this one):
clemmie1.png
clemmie1.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
"Clemmie" because clematis is a flower and it sounds like Charlie+Lemmy.
Red background=unused tiles. I don't know if that's useful. I just worked off of the tile-separated Lemmy from The Spriters Resource. Bottom row is for the decoys.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

I just noticed that the Pilysnake graphics were replaced in Silent Flower Forest. In any case, I repurposed the mini-Pily "embers" as the Piledriver Goomba replacement, if that's okay (see Aerial Airships and Assault on Snake Block Fortress):
level10E_02.gif
level10E_02.gif (4.63 MiB) Viewed 1072 times
Regarding other graphics, should we come up with something different for the boss of Assault on Snake Block Fortress? Right now, it's just our regular Big Boo graphics replacement, which is already used as the boss in What the House?! (although with a negative palette). As for the Ludwig replacement, maybe it's some 32x32 Bumpty who hates the cold and prefers fiery places? Spikes do hurt (sometimes) has lava (and even an Angry Sun), despite being lumped in with a bunch of ice levels.
SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago I had talked about Everything D. Swan being the boss at the end of the Forest submap, so I got off my butt, grabbed a sprite off spriters-resource, and made it work:

Was this ever inserted for The Castle of SERIOUS BUSINESS boss fight? I feel like Everything D. Swan should be a literal swan instead of some generic-looking dude (animals have a bit more charm than humans). But if we can't get any other art, it'll have to do. Also, looking at your plot post, who would Emerald Winston III be? Should they make an appearance in the trivia level or something? The rest area is conveniently placed right after The Castle of Spirits, so it seems like a perfect spot.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 8 months ago I feel like Everything D. Swan should be a literal swan instead of some generic-looking dude (animals have a bit more charm than humans).
*rubbing my gay little hands* yes... yes.... become furry
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 8 months ago I just noticed that the Pilysnake graphics were replaced in Silent Flower Forest. In any case, I repurposed the mini-Pily "embers" as the Piledriver Goomba replacement, if that's okay (see Aerial Airships and Assault on Snake Block Fortress):
level10E_02.gif
Yeah, that works. (Fun Fact: that graphic was originally a proposal for the hammer suit hammer in a2xt)
PSI Ninja wrote: 8 months ago
SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago I had talked about Everything D. Swan being the boss at the end of the Forest submap, so I got off my butt, grabbed a sprite off spriters-resource, and made it work:

Was this ever inserted for The Castle of SERIOUS BUSINESS boss fight? I feel like Everything D. Swan should be a literal swan instead of some generic-looking dude (animals have a bit more charm than humans). But if we can't get any other art, it'll have to do. Also, looking at your plot post, who would Emerald Winston III be? Should they make an appearance in the trivia level or something? The rest area is conveniently placed right after The Castle of Spirits, so it seems like a perfect spot.
So, when I came up with the dumb idea for the Forest Sub-plot to revolve around a feud between Emerald Winston III and Everything D. Swan (based on crappy youtube auto-chapters), the idea in my head was that Emerald Winston would look sorta like Sheriff Roscoe from Dukes of Hazzard (fat guy in a white suit and hat), while Everything D. Swan would look like an Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos-style techbro (with like a polo shirt and a vest or hoodie). I wasn't sure if there would be anyone around to do proper art for everything D. Swan, so I just grabbed some sprites from a GBC game that was on spriters-resource and made it work.

My original thought was Emerald Winston could appear in a cutscene at the start of the world asking Demo for help. Thinking about it now though, we probably shouldn't spoil the Castle of Spirits joke beforehand, so instead we could just have Rachel mention the two at the start of the world, and then have Emerald Winston in the Trivia level thanking Demo for fixing the problems in his questionably-legal distillery.

Literal Swan would be a fun idea, if we can get the art made for it.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

SAJewers wrote: 8 months ago
PSI Ninja wrote: 8 months ago
Literal Swan would be a fun idea, if we can get the art made for it.
"you know what, i've never sprited a swan before. i can put it on my résumé"
aat everythingdswan processed.png
aat everythingdswan processed.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Tiles with red background are ones that can be mirrored. Tiles with bright-green background are unused (alas, i don't think i can get the tongue to work here). Maybe that's helpful; i don't know.

edit: version with more accurate tile symmetry in case it is needed
aat everythingdswan processed more symmetry.png
aat everythingdswan processed more symmetry.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 993 times