Replacing Custom Enemy Graphics

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Replacing Custom Enemy Graphics

Post by KobaBeach »

Now since we are an ASMT game, and people really like full game graphics changes a la VIP, I'm thinking about changing the graphics of the custom enemies that wind up being used in the game. I will not change any vanilla or copyrighted foregrounds. I will also be keeping the A2MT enemy roster graphics for now so they're not solely used in A2MT as that is a fate worse than death.

Forgive me for not using the Football Charlies, I want to give the Plantmen a new lease on life. I do want to use vanilla credits so we should figure out some names for the vanilla enemy cast ;w;

So far here's what we need:
Buster Beetle
SMB3 Hammer (might use A2MT Banana Snake?)
Nipper (SAJewers has made graphics for this, I think levelengine is okay with it being in his level?)
Panser
possibly Classic Goomba? (I'll use A2MT's original graphics for the Furba before Maks replaced it with the rounded "Furoombas" from the SMBX games, if we do have a stage that uses this besides my unfinished ones that I might edit again question mark?)
(to be added to)

The Thwomps in the Thwompire State Building stage are to be kept as Mario enemies so the joke lands, it's against the current "avoid overt copyrighted stuff" mantra of recent ASMT work, but this is romhacking so we're used to being criminals (we mess all the town up).
Rixithechao wrote:pingorz
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Replacing Custom Enemy Graphics

Post by Rixithechao »

pongorz

I don't have anything for pansers but A2XT2 does have some resprites for buster beetles (and a grass-plucking variant). Here's both the beefbirds and musclemice edited to fit in a 16x16 tile grid, though they still need to be adapted to work with an smw palette
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Agree SMB3 hammer should be Banana snake.
The nipper GFX I made was basically just taking the ASMT Yunchers and making it work, A2XT also has a different nipper plant that might work. Apparently Nao also made separate GFX for one of their levels?

You also forgot the SMB3 sun, which a few levels use
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

ohhh, by hammer you meant hammer bros and not just their projectiles

in that case here's The Boy along with the nipper resprite SAJ mentioned

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

The Hammer Bros were already in A2MT so we can just grab that, unless we want to port the redrawn version (which I don't think is even possible?)
Attachments
CHR004.png
CHR004.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago The Hammer Bros were already in A2MT so we can just grab that, unless we want to port the redrawn version (which I don't think is even possible?)
It depends on how many colors it uses. I can always rejigger the frames it uses, I'll have to do it for the Classic Goomba if it is used so it uses the A2MT baserom's non-round Furba graphics, but it's best to use A2MT's renditions where possible to avoid the headache and also so they're not trapped in the zombie pits. I don't like the use of dithering on that Banana Snake so if anyone can help me get it "softer" like A2XT2's rendition, I'd appreciate it.

Do know that I'm not against dithering in better uses like REFMAP's RPG Maker tilesets or the PC98's digital artwork, its straight up one of my favorite techniques if done properly (so I'm never using it outside of practice sessions), but this just looks incredibly bad and gives the poor snake a terrible texture, even for something that most likely has scales. My absolute respect for Terry Van Feleday, he's straight up as good if not better than 660/Ebi's VIP Mario work but what the fuck
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I was trying to find some A2MT styled Iris graphics to use for a separate Luigi graphics patch, so we can have 2P mode available for people who want to play with their friends and just so we can have Iris in the game.

Sadly I could only find the ASMBXT and A2XT1 graphics and they are Mad Rough, and the A2XT1 update is by Willhart of all people. If we went with A2XT2 there would be some unappealing clash (as opposed to the bootleg style different game asset based clash that i love) and I don't know how easy to insert they'd be, so... Maybe we could add her onto the pile?

I'll handle insertion myself, dw, inserting Mario sprites without the 32x32 player sprite patch is A Nightmare but also I don't want to use that patch.
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

One other Issue of using ASMBXT/A2XT graphics is that Iris was made green, when Iris is supposed to be purple IIRC.

EDIT: Also, SMBX doesn't have the cape powerup, so new graphics might have to be made just for that?

EDIT2: Ittababy was the original genesis for A2XT1 Iris, so maybe they can help https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p219501
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago One other Issue of using ASMBXT/A2XT graphics is that Iris was made green, when Iris is supposed to be purple IIRC.
i dont want to make her purple alhamdullilah
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago One other Issue of using ASMBXT/A2XT graphics is that Iris was made green, when Iris is supposed to be purple IIRC.
i dont want to make her purple alhamdullilah
In that case, you might want to edit the palette, since Iris is purple in the Base ROM right now (just checked).
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago In that case, you might want to edit the palette, since Iris is purple in the Base ROM right now (just checked).
Yeah I was gonna, don't worry. Can she spinjump in AAT? I remember her not being able to in at least ASMT1 for some ungodly reason? Probably a bug from someone accidentally patching in something they shouldn't have

I also have to change her fire palette to like. Purple? And also, I think the cape is a separate sprite and not a part of most Mario graphics, but there is still a need for the cape flight graphics, which, I guess we can edit Demo?
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago In that case, you might want to edit the palette, since Iris is purple in the Base ROM right now (just checked).
Yeah I was gonna, don't worry. Can she spinjump in AAT? I remember her not being able to in at least ASMT1 for some ungodly reason? Probably a bug from someone accidentally patching in something they shouldn't have

I also have to change her fire palette to like. Purple? And also, I think the cape is a separate sprite and not a part of most Mario graphics, but there is still a need for the cape flight graphics, which, I guess we can edit Demo?
If this post by raocow is any indication, it was intentional.

Anyway, currently in the Base ROM Iris can spinjump, though I did notice 2 other things that are in discord

edit: also this
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

No offense to pastcow but I'm not removing Iris' spinjump, shit would break levels.

I'll log on to Discord soon, I'm just busy making a sort of bucket.txt (.xls in my case) of rpgs and rpg adjacent games i wanna play. Again
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

honestly to me that pastcow post just comes across as him joking about the lack of spinjump rather a statement of it being deliberate? also even if Iris was initially meant to be purple, pastcow says there that she’s green, she’s spent most of the series as green and had fan art of her green self.

also also, wademo exists now.

also cubed, I’m closing everything on my computer so I can restart it for a windows update but I’ve still got windows explorer and discord open so in a moment I’ll ping you with something in the asmt server, koba.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago honestly to me that pastcow post just comes across as him joking about the lack of spinjump rather a statement of it being deliberate? also even if Iris was initially meant to be purple, pastcow says there that she’s green, she’s spent most of the series as green and had fan art of her green self.
On one hand, he does say that. On the other, the A2MT character reference still had her as purple, and was still purple in the A2MT intro.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything definitive on what Iris's colour was supposed to be for A2MT, and everything regarding her Sibling hall is lost to time. Oh well.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i think it was meant to be purple and her main skill was knife throwing but having nothing else
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rixithechao wrote: 1 year ago ohhh, by hammer you meant hammer bros and not just their projectiles

in that case here's The Boy along with the nipper resprite SAJ mentioned
In doing some research (reading the a2mt forum), I'm kinda lead to believe now the nipper resprite used in a2xt was originally submitted to a2mt to replace the chainchomp. Not sure why they didn't use it when imo it's better than what ended up being used in the iirc one level that featured chainchomp.

Easily fits the palette and works, didn't have to do any editing. Shame I don't know if it came with a replacement chain.

Also WtH Lakitu thingy kinda works for Rocky Wrench too
Attachments
my_hack-034.png
my_hack-034.png (16.72 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Mentioned this is discord, but thanks to the latest baserom update causing the special world graphics to auto-appear, I was reminded for A2MT they made up a Special Piranha Plant graphic as part of the Special World set. I wonder how possible it would be to edit the Classic Piranha Plants to use that graphic by using 2 empty/unused 16x16 tiles in GFX4 (The jumping plants would remain unchanged)

Like so:

It's a good graphic, and the joke is funny enough, I think it might be worth a shot
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

NVM, turns out I'm wrong, one of those slots is used for the bonus game, while it looks you can't have different graphics for classic plants vs jumping plants. Oh well.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

So I was playing through some A2MT levels the other day, and I think I found a good Blargg replacement:

I don't know what the opinions are on the Yellow Submarine Blargg, but with the right palette, this one might be more suitable for use in "Hot Glue Garbage", at least.
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Mentioned this is discord, but thanks to the latest baserom update causing the special world graphics to auto-appear, I was reminded for A2MT they made up a Special Piranha Plant graphic as part of the Special World set. I wonder how possible it would be to edit the Classic Piranha Plants to use that graphic by using 2 empty/unused 16x16 tiles in GFX4 (The jumping plants would remain unchanged)
Besides those Piranha Plants, the post-Special World sprite set also gives you Killer Bomb and the old-school Goopas and Furbas. This raises the question, though: should we take advantage of the various Special World Passed conditions? Could be fun to try to find new graphics replacements for these enemies.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago So I was playing through some A2MT levels the other day, and I think I found a good Blargg replacement:

I don't know what the opinions are on the Yellow Submarine Blargg, but with the right palette, this one might be more suitable for use in "Hot Glue Garbage", at least.
Me, i'm the one who doesn't like the yellow submarine Blargg! It's a fine 1:1 sprite replacement, but in my opinion it doesn't work in the context of "monster that jumps out at you from the lava" and also doesn't look like a thing that would need to be spin-jumped on as opposed to normal-jumped.

This guy's cute, but he could use some spikes so he can be used outside the context of "he's a ghost in a ghost house therefore must be spin-jumped".
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago So I was playing through some A2MT levels the other day, and I think I found a good Blargg replacement:

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Mentioned this is discord, but thanks to the latest baserom update causing the special world graphics to auto-appear, I was reminded for A2MT they made up a Special Piranha Plant graphic as part of the Special World set. I wonder how possible it would be to edit the Classic Piranha Plants to use that graphic by using 2 empty/unused 16x16 tiles in GFX4 (The jumping plants would remain unchanged)
Besides those Piranha Plants, the post-Special World sprite set also gives you Killer Bomb and the old-school Goopas and Furbas. This raises the question, though: should we take advantage of the various Special World Passed conditions? Could be fun to try to find new graphics replacements for these enemies.
IIRC the special world goopas are bugged because they still use some of the frames from sp2/gfx1.

As for re-using some of the asmt/wth gfx, that might be an option to look at for some of the custom sprites.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Not a custom enemy, but while i was testing my level that includes bullet bills, it occurred to me how lifeless they currently look so i tried to turn the bullet into a nice bun (started with attempting a cat, but cat ears were looking like spikes so pivoted to rabbit). Thoughts?
bullet bun.png
bullet bun.png (405 Bytes) Viewed 1572 times
look i just really like the (^^ ) guys from VIP but we're not VIP so...
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago Not a custom enemy, but while i was testing my level that includes bullet bills, it occurred to me how lifeless they currently look so i tried to turn the bullet into a nice bun (started with attempting a cat, but cat ears were looking like spikes so pivoted to rabbit). Thoughts?
bullet bun.png

look i just really like the (^^ ) guys from VIP but we're not VIP so...
My first thought was seagull, not bunny, to be honest.

But yeah, agreed on the current replacement not feeling particularly interesting.
a
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I like them.