(shouting)

World Map Organization - Public side

Luckwaive
AAT Overworld Guy

Re: World Map Organization - Public side

Post by Luckwaive »

I reckon we're not really doing sketches quite yet but I was bored during my break so I just thought screw it.

Anyway here's a pitch I scribbled up for the world 1 submap.

(The blank spot would probably just be a warp spot or something)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230403-142438~2_1.png
Screenshot_20230403-142438~2_1.png (304.45 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

my brother in christ this owns
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, I feel like we really need to first figure where secret exits will lead to before we start sketching out.

Having said that, I guess since we kinda already know what Forest World (we really need to figure out names asap) and The Fishmarket, I did a quick mockup in lunarmagic. Again, no idea on secret exits; we really need to get that done.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-03 194243.png
Screenshot 2023-04-03 194243.png (67.3 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

call forest world "the lost woods" and the joke is that the woods themselves got lost at some point
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

From the looks of those submaps, I'm guessing that Level 105 ("Rachel's Rebate Rotorcraft") is going to be like "Funky's Flights" from DKC and DKC2? If so, those warps would need to be unlocked on a per-world basis, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

To iterate on your Fishmarket design, I'd put 12D ("watch out! bad word ahead") right after 11C ("Lady Crithania"), since 11C ends at an iceberg, and 12D takes place on an iceberg. Plus, 12D has an exit, so making it lead to 12F ("Where The Whales Come To Rest") is a good way to account for that. Then, I would have the secret exit of 16 ("Cryotranquility") lead to the Blue Switch Palace on the outside overworld or something. This way, it unlocks a bit more of a meaningful reward.

Semi-serious naming suggestions: call forest world "Sherbrooke Forest", and when it's completely deforested, call it "Sherbrooke Wasteland". Urban/mountain world could be "Neo Montreal" or something (since Montreal is named for a mountain). If we can have the world names show up on the overworld too, that would be fun.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Forest World (we really need to figure out names asap)
asmt and a2mt did not have names and i think asmbxt also only had castle room descriptors but i once separated the level difficulty ranks based on their levels' theme and naming them after canadian provinces which honestly i didn't know much of, but i was watching the super mario omega lp at the time where raocow did the same thing. i guess we can do that? he also added china so feel free to add like a whole ass country or whatever

the yukon part unlocked hidden core memories of when i used to watch yvon of the yukon as a kid and it was an alright show (defrosted for u and for me)
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago Semi-serious naming suggestions: call forest world "Sherbrooke Forest", and when it's completely deforested, call it "Sherbrooke Wasteland". Urban/mountain world could be "Neo Montreal" or something (since Montreal is named for a mountain). If we can have the world names show up on the overworld too, that would be fun.
*family guy roach man voice* good... good...
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago From the looks of those submaps, I'm guessing that Level 105 ("Rachel's Rebate Rotorcraft") is going to be like "Funky's Flights" from DKC and DKC2? If so, those warps would need to be unlocked on a per-world basis, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Legit was seriously considering using the DKC funky music for it, but it seemed too on the nose. They definitely should be unlocked on a per-world basis, but I wasn't sure if it should be unlocked by unlocking access to the submap, or beating the 1st level of the submap; unlocking via a secret exit doesn't seems like a good option with only 2/3 per.
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago To iterate on your Fishmarket design, I'd put 12D ("watch out! bad word ahead") right after 11C ("Lady Crithania"), since 11C ends at an iceberg, and 12D takes place on an iceberg. Plus, 12D has an exit, so making it lead to 12F ("Where The Whales Come To Rest") is a good way to account for that. Then, I would have the secret exit of 16 ("Cryotranquility") lead to the Blue Switch Palace on the outside overworld or something. This way, it unlocks a bit more of a meaningful reward.
Yeah, I wasn't sure on how to deal with Cryotranquility's secret exit. That is an interesting idea though
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago If we can have the world names show up on the overworld too, that would be fun.
It'd be nice, but i dunno how possible it is. Worst case, it'll in the quickwarp level.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Forest World (we really need to figure out names asap)
asmt and a2mt did not have names and i think asmbxt also only had castle room descriptors but i once separated the level difficulty ranks based on their levels' theme and naming them after canadian provinces which honestly i didn't know much of, but i was watching the super mario omega lp at the time where raocow did the same thing. i guess we can do that? he also added china so feel free to add like a whole ass country or whatever
Yeah, ASMBXT had names based on descriptions of what that hub looked like, since players largely got to pick which world their levels appeared in (though for difficulty reason, a few changes were made). A2XT had named worlds though, which is probably what's in my head when thinking of this.
Also, I did consider at one point suggesting we name the Mountain World Banff, Alberta
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Let's see, some brainstormed name ideas:
World 1: Verdigris Hill Zone, France, Plateau de l'Éveil (referencing the Canadian French name for BotW's starting area).
Forest: The Forest/De Forest (with name change), Da Forest (ambiguous misspelling between the and de-). I really like "The Lost Woods", though.
Sky/Space: Noctilucent (note: a cloud phenomenon), Overcast Ocean, Sunset Picturesque.
Urban/Mountain: Boulder Jungle, Polylith, The Skyline*.
Final: Catspace.
I didn't come up with any ideas for the cave or the postgame though.

Also, I think if we really wanna drive home the fishmarket joke, we should decorate that world's unreachable areas with fields of fake level dots.

*This name actually inspired me to draft a map for the world:
SunsetSkyline.png
SunsetSkyline.png (9.39 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
To clarify, 126's normal exit serpentines up to 109, which then goes to 1C.
Disclaimer: I haven't played most of these levels, so I'm just using names, themes, difficulties, and exit counts as references.
a
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago Also, I think if we really wanna drive home the fishmarket joke, we should decorate that world's unreachable areas with fields of fake level dots.
Yes, entirely filled with random level dots that disappear to make room for pathways
Luckwaive
AAT Overworld Guy

Post by Luckwaive »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago
Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago Also, I think if we really wanna drive home the fishmarket joke, we should decorate that world's unreachable areas with fields of fake level dots.
Yes, entirely filled with random level dots that disappear to make room for pathways
This is genuinely hilarious to me

Also, I was able to map out my world 1 design from yesterday in LM, so here's what it might look like in game.

image-20~2.png
image-20~2.png (99.85 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
image-23_1.png
image-23_1.png (78.1 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago If we can have the world names show up on the overworld too, that would be fun.
It'd be nice, but i dunno how possible it is. Worst case, it'll in the quickwarp level.
Ah, I knew I could find something if I searched SMWC long and hard enough: https://smwc.me/1507898
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago World 1: France
Also, I think if we really wanna drive home the fishmarket joke, we should decorate that world's unreachable areas with fields of fake level dots.
Riffing on France, how about "the Piedmont"? The Piedmont is a region adjacent-ish to France and the terrain of the world can also be called piedmont-like. Might call for it to be located adjacent to the mountain world geographically?

I submit that the fake dots in the Fishmarket should (within palette limitations) be various colours other than yellow/red/green. Assuming the player has seen at least one of the three-exit levels and experienced the novelty of a green level dot, it would be a fun gag for the game to visually say "you thought a green dot was novel?! oh yeah?!?! well what about purple dots?!?! orange dots?!?!?! grey dots?!?!?!?! etc".
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago call forest world "the lost woods" and the joke is that the woods themselves got lost at some point
For-a-Limited-Time-Only Forest! (because raocow's currently playing Paper Mario and the Forever Forest in Paper Mario is just another 迷いの森/lost woods in Japanese)

Not to be confused with the But Wait, There's More Forest, which keeps growing bit by bit every time you think you're going to be out of the woods.
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year agoUrban/mountain world could be "Neo Montreal" or something (since Montreal is named for a mountain). If we can have the world names show up on the overworld too, that would be fun.
Montfaux (there's a Mont Real, so what about the Mont Fake?)
SAJewers wrote: 1 year agoAlso, I did consider at one point suggesting we name the Mountain World Banff, Alberta
Banff is a fun place name and i always do a mental double take whenever my family talks about wanting to visit it. It feels like it would be a fun word to hear raocow shout.
Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago Also, I was able to map out my world 1 design from yesterday in LM, so here's what it might look like in game.
I love the concept, but i don't think the "1, 2, 3, etc" signs next to castles should be used if the player is going to be able to tackle worlds in whatever order they want. I'm curious to see which order cow will play them in and i don't want the game to decide for him with those signs.

(if the player is not allowed to tackle worlds in whatever order and there's just the open OW in the middle, ignore this)
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoif there /is/ space on the ow tileset, feel free to add little sight gags to it, like the moai off the corner in vip5 or the piggies in a2mt. decorating maps is super fun
It would be fun to have a tree next to Green Apples with a green apple on it instead of just being a regular tree.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Luckwaive
AAT Overworld Guy

Post by Luckwaive »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago I love the concept, but i don't think the "1, 2, 3, etc" signs next to castles should be used if the player is going to be able to tackle worlds in whatever order they want. I'm curious to see which order cow will play them in and i don't want the game to decide for him with those signs.

(if the player is not allowed to tackle worlds in whatever order and there's just the open OW in the middle, ignore this)
Shoot, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, if we're going open ended there's definitely no reason for numbered signs since there's no proper world order beyond the initial first world. I'll remove it.

Looking at the map again there's a couple of funky perspective things, mainly in the bottom left corner, which I did to try to shoehorn the big hill there (couldn't have it against the wall since there's no hill graphics with the wall color behind it). Might just remove that and replace it with some trees instead so that I can adjust the perspective to make more sense.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Thinking of Luckwaive's concept as a piedmont got the creative juices flowing!
aat map sketch.png
aat map sketch.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Pretend the black hole for abstract world is more centrally located so the rainbow path can get sucked into it too. I only thought of "waterfall creating a rainbow, which then creates a path to get into the sky world" after drawing everything else. OW would probably also be more central and smushing world 1/urban-mountains to the periphery a bit. The river could additionally be widened and have the fishmarket sitting in the middle of it (sub-map babey!!!!!) rather than off to the side in the sea. I additionally² had plans for more inter-world connections like the mountain chasm becoming the cave world, but i'm sure those will reveal themselves organically through level exits needing to lead to interesting places.
Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago Shoot, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, if we're going open ended there's definitely no reason for numbered signs since there's no proper world order beyond the initial first world. I'll remove it.
Honestly, it could be a fun gag to just have the "1" sign and then none of the others. I'm just not sure how to communicate that it's a gag and not the map designer giving up.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yo why the fuck are y'all so good at this

keep it up but be careful to be able to fit it in the jank constraints of super mario's worlds
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Question: for the switch palaces, should they be like in SMW where it doesn't lead to anything at all, or should they be like any other level and have another level connecting after it?
Catabo wrote: 11 months ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoif there /is/ space on the ow tileset, feel free to add little sight gags to it, like the moai off the corner in vip5 or the piggies in a2mt. decorating maps is super fun
It would be fun to have a tree next to Green Apples with a green apple on it instead of just being a regular tree.
Similarly, Lady Crithania and Aerial Airships should actual ships for level spots.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago Question: for the switch palaces, should they be like in SMW where it doesn't lead to anything at all, or should they be like any other level and have another level connecting after it?
I think the Switch Palaces shouldn't lead to anything at all. Just have them be optional rewards and tease their locations on the main overworld, where you have to go through a submap to unlock a secret path to it.

Conversely, how about the Rest Areas? Some of them have actual exits (e.g., "Tim Hortons" and "PUNT RETURN"), so presumably they should lead somewhere? That's what I was thinking for "watch out! bad word ahead", at least.
SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago Similarly, Lady Crithania and Aerial Airships should actual ships for level spots.
Maybe have "Lady Crithania" be a regular ship before beating it, and it becomes a wrecked ship afterwards.

Anyway, it's cool to see all of the sketches and designs so far, though we still need to agree on which worlds will be in the submaps. We only have six submaps to work with, and all the remaining worlds will need to be on the main map.
Luckwaive
AAT Overworld Guy

Post by Luckwaive »

Catabo wrote: 11 months ago Thinking of Luckwaive's concept as a piedmont got the creative juices flowing!
aat map sketch.png
Pretend the black hole for abstract world is more centrally located so the rainbow path can get sucked into it too. I only thought of "waterfall creating a rainbow, which then creates a path to get into the sky world" after drawing everything else. OW would probably also be more central and smushing world 1/urban-mountains to the periphery a bit. The river could additionally be widened and have the fishmarket sitting in the middle of it (sub-map babey!!!!!) rather than off to the side in the sea. I additionally² had plans for more inter-world connections like the mountain chasm becoming the cave world, but i'm sure those will reveal themselves organically through level exits needing to lead to interesting places.
Pretty nice layout!
I really like the concept of the waterfall and rainbow leading up to the sky world. I suppose I have quite a bit to say so this will be kind of a long post.

Considering the player heads downwards from the castle in W1, I envisioned that it would lead the player out to the top section of the open OW. Maybe in the top left corner, perhaps? I also think placing it here instead might make it easier to resolve a potential issue with use of a goal post (first level of the open OW after W1), which I had a potential solution to, but that's something I'll discuss in another post altogether. That might not really matter though, as long as it's placed underneath W1.

Anyway, if we go this route then it might make sense for world 1 and cave world to essentially swap places on this layout. Doing this would also make it easier for urban mountain to feed downwards into the cave map as well. That being said, you don't seem to have an ocean up there, maybe we can just situation the world 1 island in a lake type of deal instead of the ocean or something? The waterfall and rainbow can simply fall from a separate structure to the right of world 1, I guess.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we only have 6 submaps to use. World 1, Fishmarket, Forest, and Urban Mountain are already confirmed to be using submaps I believe. Postgame will probably be on the open OW somewhere. That leaves two more available submaps, with cave, sky, and abstract/final worlds left. One of these worlds needs to be integrated into the overworld instead. The best candidate would maybe be sky, perhaps we can have clouds peaking from the top right of the map that are accessible from the rainbow? This would put the portal for the abstract world on the ow as well, which would lead to its submap once unlocked / opened up.
Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago Shoot, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, if we're going open ended there's definitely no reason for numbered signs since there's no proper world order beyond the initial first world. I'll remove it.
Honestly, it could be a fun gag to just have the "1" sign and then none of the others. I'm just not sure how to communicate that it's a gag and not the map designer giving up.
What if we gave every world a sign next to the castle, but only world 1 had the standard number on it? Every other sign could be some sort of gag or joke. I don't have any specific ideas though, so meh.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago Conversely, how about the Rest Areas? Some of them have actual exits (e.g., "Tim Hortons" and "PUNT RETURN"), so presumably they should lead somewhere? That's what I was thinking for "watch out! bad word ahead", at least.
That's a good point, though I just updated PUNT RETURN to replace the goal with a side exit (and a block to change music), so both that and Emerald Winston Bar and Restaurant would need to be updated to have some sort of exit. Maybe i'll look into that.
PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago Anyway, it's cool to see all of the sketches and designs so far, though we still need to agree on which worlds will be in the submaps. We only have six submaps to work with, and all the remaining worlds will need to be on the main map.
We also need to figure out what order the levels should be in in the Open OW as well, and what secret exits lead to for both the Open OW and submaps.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago
Yeah, i was intentionally vague on what would have a submap because i wasn't sure if we had a list of worlds confirmed to use them yet. These are all good takes and i'll incorporate them if i try again!

I really want to suggest The Castle of Serious Business having a "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign, but i know that wouldn't fit on the overworld graphic... Maybe make it illegible in the overworld and then show it close-up in the no-Yoshi intro?
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago
What if we gave every world a sign next to the castle, but only world 1 had the standard number on it? Every other sign could be some sort of gag or joke. I don't have any specific ideas though, so meh.
We could give all the other signs a 2, the final world a 3, and possibly a 4 for the postgame. Or we could just give each of the main worlds all five signs between 2 and 6, cluttering up every map.

---

On another topic, I remember some people mentioned ideas about accessing the postgame, but said they'd share them later. How about now...? I had an idea where the final level would have multiple entrances* which grant access to somewhat different sublevel pathways, one of which is a "reverse back door" of sorts, which has a hidden secret exit that leads to the postgame.

*Even if we run out of level slots, some asm should be able to detect which entrance the player used depending on some overworld addresses like 7F17-7F1E (1F17-1F1E, player positions on the overworld).
a
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

dang I wish I had saved it but I had made up some small icons for use in the quickwarp thingy, but then scrapped it when I found that ubersam that did it much better than the block warp setup I was using.

EDIT: Wanna get back to very much pressing need to sort out the main overworld: the first level of the main overworld (after beating castle wolfenstein) should probably be one with a secret exit. We have 8 levels with a secret exit (plus 2 with 2 secret exits), so I dunno if we want to have most of them near the front or not.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago EDIT: Wanna get back to very much pressing need to sort out the main overworld: the first level of the main overworld (after beating castle wolfenstein) should probably be one with a secret exit. We have 8 levels with a secret exit (plus 2 with 2 secret exits), so I dunno if we want to have most of them near the front or not.
I don't think we should frontload the player with too many secret exit levels. They should be spread out a bit for some variety. That said, I'm just waiting for more rough sketches of the overworld before proposing anything too specific with regards to level order, because these sketches may help inform where certain levels should be placed.
Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago Considering the player heads downwards from the castle in W1, I envisioned that it would lead the player out to the top section of the open OW. Maybe in the top left corner, perhaps? I also think placing it here instead might make it easier to resolve a potential issue with use of a goal post (first level of the open OW after W1), which I had a potential solution to, but that's something I'll discuss in another post altogether. That might not really matter though, as long as it's placed underneath W1.
"Use Of A Goal Posts" would be too hard for the early game. I would suggest having "Fungus Forest Flow" as the first level on the main overworld. It's relatively easy, it has two exits which offers the player a choice of paths right away, and it could be placed on the river like Catabo was talking about.

Some of the other main overworld levels could be placed near the entrances/exits of submaps that have a similar theme. For example, "Quirky Quarry" can be close to the cave submap, "Aileron Moonbounce" in the vicinity of sky/space world, and "Killy Killer Volcano" near the mountains/final world.
Luckwaive wrote: 11 months ago Looking at the map again there's a couple of funky perspective things, mainly in the bottom left corner, which I did to try to shoehorn the big hill there (couldn't have it against the wall since there's no hill graphics with the wall color behind it). Might just remove that and replace it with some trees instead so that I can adjust the perspective to make more sense.
It also looks like there's a perspective issue with the overhang that "Super Easy Going" is situated on. Note that the intro level leaves Demo off at a shoreline, so that probably should be kept in mind.
Catabo wrote: 11 months ago Pretend the black hole for abstract world is more centrally located so the rainbow path can get sucked into it too. I only thought of "waterfall creating a rainbow, which then creates a path to get into the sky world" after drawing everything else. OW would probably also be more central and smushing world 1/urban-mountains to the periphery a bit. The river could additionally be widened and have the fishmarket sitting in the middle of it (sub-map babey!!!!!) rather than off to the side in the sea. I additionally² had plans for more inter-world connections like the mountain chasm becoming the cave world, but i'm sure those will reveal themselves organically through level exits needing to lead to interesting places.
I kind of like your idea of the Fishmarket being in a lagoon or bay area. Having two entrances to the cave world is interesting. I was hoping that not all of the submaps would lead to dead ends, which I feel was a weakness of A2MT's overworld design. More interplay between the submaps and main overworld would be cool. And for the urban/mountain section, maybe put a skyline there.
Catabo wrote: 11 months ago I love the concept, but i don't think the "1, 2, 3, etc" signs next to castles should be used if the player is going to be able to tackle worlds in whatever order they want. I'm curious to see which order cow will play them in and i don't want the game to decide for him with those signs.

The preference seems to be for an open overworld where you can beat the worlds in any order you want. But the player would still be required to beat all of the world-ending castles/stages to get access to the final world. The benefit of this approach is that it gives the player a reason to visit all of the submaps. But because of this restriction, I don't see how we can implement big, meaningful shortcuts. We do have a fast travel system planned, but it's mostly for convenience.
Lord Ruby wrote: 11 months ago On another topic, I remember some people mentioned ideas about accessing the postgame, but said they'd share them later. How about now...? I had an idea where the final level would have multiple entrances* which grant access to somewhat different sublevel pathways, one of which is a "reverse back door" of sorts, which has a hidden secret exit that leads to the postgame.

*Even if we run out of level slots, some asm should be able to detect which entrance the player used depending on some overworld addresses like 7F17-7F1E (1F17-1F1E, player positions on the overworld).
I have a semi-ambitious idea for how we should handle the postgame that I've been holding onto for a while. We should probably make a new topic for postgame discussion, though.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago I don't think we should frontload the player with too many secret exit levels. They should be spread out a bit for some variety. That said, I'm just waiting for more rough sketches of the overworld before proposing anything too specific with regards to level order, because these sketches may help inform where certain levels should be placed.
Looking at again, we have 9 levels with secret exits, and 13 levels without in the unsorted main OW right now, so yeah, I guess we can probably space them out somewhat evenly. As long as we don't backload them either.

(on that note, if we try and fill in the final 5 level slots, the 2 we don't use for Rest Areas should probably be single exit levels, else things might get too cluttered?)
PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago "Use Of A Goal Posts" would be too hard for the early game. I would suggest having "Fungus Forest Flow" as the first level on the main overworld. It's relatively easy, it has two exits which offers the player a choice of paths right away, and it could be placed on the river like Catabo was talking about.

Some of the other main overworld levels could be placed near the entrances/exits of submaps that have a similar theme. For example, "Quirky Quarry" can be close to the cave submap, "Aileron Moonbounce" in the vicinity of sky/space world, and "Killy Killer Volcano" near the mountains/final world.
I was actually thinking making either Fungus Forest Flow, Red Radish Morning, or Cave of Monsters by the first level. Do agree on putting some levels that are near-matches near the similar submap.
PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago The preference seems to be for an open overworld where you can beat the worlds in any order you want. But the player would still be required to beat all of the world-ending castles/stages to get access to the final world. The benefit of this approach is that it gives the player a reason to visit all of the submaps. But because of this restriction, I don't see how we can implement big, meaningful shortcuts. We do have a fast travel system planned, but it's mostly for convenience.
Yeah. We can do small shortcuts in the submaps, and quicker paths to the submaps in the main OW, but no huge skips, unless we want multiple ways to enter a submap, in which case we could in theory have a secondary way into a submap that puts you further into the world.
PSI Ninja wrote: 11 months ago I kind of like your idea of the Fishmarket being in a lagoon or bay area. Having two entrances to the cave world is interesting. I was hoping that not all of the submaps would lead to dead ends, which I feel was a weakness of A2MT's overworld design. More interplay between the submaps and main overworld would be cool. And for the urban/mountain section, maybe put a skyline there.
I do agree with not having dead ends in submaps, as it would make the Open OW more open. Having said that, I think we should try to avoid having each submap take you on right a path right to the next submap.
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

I sketched out a possible main overworld with a level order, level connections, etc. while trying to incorporate the ideas that the others have presented so far.

The switch palaces (except for the yellow one) are all accessible through secret exits in submaps which lead back into the main overworld.
Every world (except for abstract and the postgame) puts the player back somewhere into the main overworld to avoid dead ends.
The cave world has two entrances through the main overworld (3 entrances when including the one from urban/mountain world).
The final level of both the mountain and cave world lead the player back to "The Cave of Monsters" which allows them to choose the other world after beating one of them.
I didn't know how we will handle the postgame yet so I put it in the bottom right corner for now, requiring beating "THE OBSTACLE", "The Beginning of Spring", the most difficult exit of "Use Of A Goal Posts" and the secret exit of "Bad Day at the Garden" to reach it plus whatever other unlock condition we can think of.
The rainbow leads to sky/space world but can lead to abstract world as well once it has been unlocked.

A lot of things could probably be done much better (and I think I forgot Sui Glide) but this sketch hopefully gives people some more ideas.
Attachments
AAT - Open Overworld Sketch.jpg
AAT - Open Overworld Sketch.jpg (240 KiB) Viewed 1449 times